BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Too Bumpy! Must Go!

11-19-2020, 07:23 AM   #1
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2

M2 Too Bumpy! Must Go!

I've had my M2 for a year now & I have not enjoyed a single day of it & will be selling it. I miss my 350Z, what a car!

I was thinking of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio; are they as stiff as the M2? I'll have a look in the Alfa forums but posting here as I'm already a member & there's bound to be a petrol head who's had a go?

I'm watching a review on the Guilia & typical Alfa; full of problems; so might not look at it!
Appreciate 1
SCCThree813.00
      11-19-2020, 07:37 AM   #2
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Would it not be cheaper to change the suspension? Or are you not liking the rest much either?

Honestly, a set of Bilstein B16 with softer spring rates would turn the M2 into a smooth riding cruiser.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 08:19 AM   #3
King3r
Rep
Drives: 17 N55 M2

If you get the Alfa make sure it still has the warranty on it. What kind of roads are you driving on? Personally I like the m2 suspension better than I liked my 350z's suspension. Seats are way more comfortable and the M is way faster. I loved my Z but i'm suprised to hear how much you think the z is better than the m.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 09:04 AM   #4
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

The M Performance suspension is adjustable for both compression and rebound. Going to the softer settings has been widely heralded as improvement. I'd rather go that route if it were me.
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2020, 09:21 AM   #5
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

The Alfa will be no fun either since it will spend half it's life in the shop.

Agree with a suspension mod if you find the ride too stiff. I personally love the suspension as is, to me it makes the car feel alive when I'm driving it, and sorta forces you to be engaged at all times, which is why I love it!
Appreciate 1
Dabozo624.50
      11-19-2020, 10:33 AM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
OP bought the wrong car guys. If he hasn't enjoyed a single day of ownership, that's pretty obvious.

Alfa = beautiful junk.

Good luck.
Appreciate 16
M2Pilot278.50
skiparock182.50
///AVM2528.00
ried791.50
AndrewC198910910.50
///M TOWN16075.50
Durrc4.50
grl.racr382.50
Robin_NL8716.00
JTO245271.50
DAC17170.50
      11-19-2020, 12:28 PM   #7
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

OP's plan is absolute insanity. Now, I understand where he is coming from. The primary reason I am getting the MP coilovers is because the stock ride sucks. It is way too bouncy and yet lacks enough grip to justify the rough ride. I love the car, but it is absolutely over sprung from stock.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 01:34 PM   #8
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

My old 350z did ride better, but not by that much imho.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 04:25 PM   #9
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
OP bought the wrong car guys. If he hasn't enjoyed a single day of ownership, that's pretty obvious.

Alfa = beautiful junk.

Good luck.
Exactly. Move on OP....
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      11-19-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I used to have a red NISMO 350z, 08 #919. It was a fun car for sure. No way I'd take it over my M2 but it was cool in some ways. It had a lot of problems though imo. I can say driving it always felt special every time and that's a huge success for any performance car.

As far as the suspension goes I'd look into getting a set of M performance coil overs. I recently adjusted mine and it's been very comfortable. More so than my E90 M3 w/adaptive suspension. I have mine toggled at 5/13 on the stiffness setting. It used to be at 9 and it was a pain at times. It's perfect on this set up
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 06:45 PM   #11
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

It seems very rare occurance . . . but OK to not enjoy the M2/M2C. Not for everyone.

///AVM
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-19-2020, 07:11 PM   #12
scoale
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3 /M2C/540

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 BMW 540  [0.00]
2013 Porsche Boxster S  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
I used to have a red NISMO 350z, 08 #919. It was a fun car for sure. No way I'd take it over my M2 but it was cool in some ways. It had a lot of problems though imo. I can say driving it always felt special every time and that's a huge success for any performance car.

As far as the suspension goes I'd look into getting a set of M performance coil overs. I recently adjusted mine and it's been very comfortable. More so than my E90 M3 w/adaptive suspension. I have mine toggled at 5/13 on the stiffness setting. It used to be at 9 and it was a pain at times. It's perfect on this set up
I imagine there is a comfort/performance tradeoff meaning if you dial in more comfort you get less performance. That said, is the tradeoff a net gain versus stock? Have you been able to identify settings that improve BOTH performance and compliance versus stock? I've never gone the coilover route before, but this car is going to tempt me
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:09 PM   #13
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmango View Post
I've had my M2 for a year now & I have not enjoyed a single day of it & will be selling it. I miss my 350Z, what a car!

I was thinking of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio; are they as stiff as the M2? I'll have a look in the Alfa forums but posting here as I'm already a member & there's bound to be a petrol head who's had a go?

I'm watching a review on the Guilia & typical Alfa; full of problems; so might not look at it!

I hear that the new Buick Lucerne is real smooth and cushy, and has a 142-hp 3 cylinder engine too!!!!! That sounds like the car for you!

Appreciate 3
Acetech218.50
HODLM363.50
      11-20-2020, 01:29 AM   #14
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Please elaborate. Is your car completely stock ? What roads are you driving ? How fast are you running over cobble-stone paved roads ? What were your previous cars and how did those handle the same roads ? What tires and tire pressure do you use ?

Not getting away with a just a snapshot quote.
      11-20-2020, 06:19 AM   #15
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for your comments. I use the car every single day, commute on motorways, country lanes & town driving.
  • America - population density 36 per Km2;
  • UK - London - 5,701 people per Km2; Speed camera's on almost every single road. There isn't enough room on the pavements for people to walk on & the roads are in atrocious condition. Granted corona-virus has got the govt working on the roads, but there's many more in disarray; it's not really a car for London/ Essex. Imho the 350Z was a far better setup for UK roads.

For those of you that get to use the car & a half decent road, with no speed cameras & not much traffic then yes this car would be more useful. I must say I'm disappointed in build quality. I have a job & I don't really have time to work for the car; don't have time to be taking off work jeopardizing my job to maintain a vehicle to the extent below:
  1. They've used 1-earthing wire on the rear indicators on the LCI models, (previously 3 earthing wires) & this overloads the circuit. This is well documented;
  2. A fool on the design team didn't put a rubber bung in the amplifiers causing water-ingress & making blowing amplifiers;
  3. A cheap plastic oil pan; which warps at 40,000 miles, leaking oil, ruining your driveway & not to mention engine damage! So you need to replace with a £1k alluminium-pan (which should've been OEM in the first place);

Many of you will attack me for this now I as I've insulted your pride & joy, but personally I don't think this is acceptable on a £10k car, on a £50k car it is outrageous. I think they have marketed the car for ultimate short-term benefit (performance), gaining high-ratings, but I think as time goes on these ratings will drop considerably.

Thank you for suspension input - I can't warrant adjusting the suspension on a new car. In my mind BMW should have programmed more adjustable settings to the suspension.
Also comfort mode feels so lame, whereas the 350Z just felt more torquey. Sure just turn on Sport+ all the time.

New Car:

So looking into the Julia Quadrifoglio Alfa's reputation has been well earned in that this car is not without it's issues. Out the window!

M3 - I could stretch to £40k if I love it; but to be honest the M2 has left such a bad taste in my mouth it's put me off M-cars. Also it looks like the fuel actuators go every 30k miles because BMW used a plastic cheap cog which wears; thanks BMW! There are people out there who have machined their own brass cogs which last forever; an another big oversight by BMW here! Does the adaptive suspension settings enable so much softer a setting?

Lexus RC300 - Lovely interior, but the crap sat-nav lets it down & performance is abismal. Fantastic customer service & superior build quality.

BMW M340i - This may be a real option; are they much softer? Around £20 - £25k this is really quite good value & I think I'd probably be happier in this.

BMW M240i - this seems pretty bleak tbh.

Nissan 370Z - I hear the lack of torque is disappointing & the interior will feel pretty bleak compared to BMW.

An Absolute Old Banger - I've been a petrol head all my life, sports-bikes & cars all the time; can one forego petroleum & still live a happy life?

Now let the stoning commence .
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:23 AM   #16
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

If OP hasn't enjoyed the car from day 1 and the possible fix is changing the suspension, it prob isn't the right car for him/her.

Everyone doesn't have to love the m2.

Maybe the Supra, RCF or new 400z are better options. The Alfa looks great, but prob not worth the ownership headaches. Although, there are deals to be had on the Alfa.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 06:53 AM   #17
Dalmango
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks Sublime, oh my lord the Supra looks much more like it, softer round town! I think it's a bit out of my price range as early searches looks like £45k. I loved the old Supra, wasn't aware of the new Supra so many thanks. That looks absolutely brilliant.

I'll wait for the 400Z & what price band that arrives at. Might have to wait a year or so for the Supra to come down in price but I think that softer set-up looks better.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #18
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Thanks for your comments. I use the car every single day, commute on motorways, country lanes & town driving.
  • America - population density 36 per Km2;
  • UK - London - 5,701 people per Km2; Speed camera's on almost every single road. There isn't enough room on the pavements for people to walk on & the roads are in atrocious condition. Granted corona-virus has got the govt working on the roads, but there's many more in disarray; it's not really a car for London/ Essex. Imho the 350Z was a far better setup for UK roads.

For those of you that get to use the car & a half decent road, with no speed cameras & not much traffic then yes this car would be more useful. I must say I'm disappointed in build quality. I have a job & I don't really have time to work for the car; don't have time to be taking off work jeopardizing my job to maintain a vehicle to the extent below:
  1. They've used 1-earthing wire on the rear indicators on the LCI models, (previously 3 earthing wires) & this overloads the circuit. This is well documented;
  2. A fool on the design team didn't put a rubber bung in the amplifiers causing water-ingress & making blowing amplifiers;
  3. A cheap plastic oil pan; which warps at 40,000 miles, leaking oil, ruining your driveway & not to mention engine damage! So you need to replace with a £1k alluminium-pan (which should've been OEM in the first place);

Many of you will attack me for this now I as I've insulted your pride & joy, but personally I don't think this is acceptable on a £10k car, on a £50k car it is outrageous. I think they have marketed the car for ultimate short-term benefit (performance), gaining high-ratings, but I think as time goes on these ratings will drop considerably.

Thank you for suspension input - I can't warrant adjusting the suspension on a new car. In my mind BMW should have programmed more adjustable settings to the suspension.
Also comfort mode feels so lame, whereas the 350Z just felt more torquey. Sure just turn on Sport+ all the time.

New Car:

So looking into the Julia Quadrifoglio Alfa's reputation has been well earned in that this car is not without it's issues. Out the window!

M3 - I could stretch to £40k if I love it; but to be honest the M2 has left such a bad taste in my mouth it's put me off M-cars. Also it looks like the fuel actuators go every 30k miles because BMW used a plastic cheap cog which wears; thanks BMW! There are people out there who have machined their own brass cogs which last forever; an another big oversight by BMW here! Does the adaptive suspension settings enable so much softer a setting?

Lexus RC300 - Lovely interior, but the crap sat-nav lets it down & performance is abismal. Fantastic customer service & superior build quality.

BMW M340i - This may be a real option; are they much softer? Around £20 - £25k this is really quite good value & I think I'd probably be happier in this.

BMW M240i - this seems pretty bleak tbh.

Nissan 370Z - I hear the lack of torque is disappointing & the interior will feel pretty bleak compared to BMW.

An Absolute Old Banger - I've been a petrol head all my life, sports-bikes & cars all the time; can one forego petroleum & still live a happy life?

Now let the stoning commence .
Sounds like you're talking about the older e9x m3? The throttle actuators do break but mpower Motorsport builds new ones that should never fail. I never found the suspension on that generation amazing on terrible roads, but the ride is squishier I think partially due to softer seats. The newer f8x m3/4 also has adaptive suspension but it's probably not far more comfortable than the m2. That generation has a problem with the spun crank hub and sit to water intercooler leaking or something.

If I was you I would look at something with magneride or air suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #19
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Thanks Sublime, oh my lord the Supra looks much more like it, softer round town! I think it's a bit out of my price range as early searches looks like £45k. I loved the old Supra, wasn't aware of the new Supra so many thanks. That looks absolutely brilliant.

I'll wait for the 400Z & what price band that arrives at. Might have to wait a year or so for the Supra to come down in price but I think that softer set-up looks better.
What about a used Lexus with a v8?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 12:50 PM   #20
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Man card revoked....Enjoy your new POS Nancy...Bye!!!
Appreciate 1
      11-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

Nice bridge you have there - one of the many in a driving environment where the M2 is really never going to shine.

Have you looked at air-suspended Range Rovers? Not for their off-road abilities you understand, but because they are better able to deal with potholes and occasional trip across the kerbs (without damaging the wheels) that driving within the M25 demands, and come with a driving position that lets you see how long the traffic jam in front of you is...
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 02:18 PM   #22
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

I enjoy my M2C so damn much I think I could love it just about anywhere. . . 'just about' is important because I would never own a sport/sporty car in an urban area such as New York or some other large city.

So, let's not get down on OP for his honest assessment of a car we (mostly) all love, but simply does not work for him in his driving environment.

///AVM

Last edited by ///AVM; 11-20-2020 at 03:12 PM..
Appreciate 0