BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vargas turbo

11-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #1
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Vargas turbo

Anyone running a Vargas turbo on the N55 M2?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:40 AM   #2
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I was interested in their GC upgrade however the pricing seems totally out of line compared to the other Bmw GC offerings. It’s double the price of the b58 GC and similarly priced to the s55 twin turbo GC upgrade which is a shame.

I believe Pure have something else in the works for the n55 which will have more potential than the ps2 if that’s of interest to you.
Appreciate 1
SebsM2649.00
      11-17-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
I was interested in their GC upgrade however the pricing seems totally out of line compared to the other Bmw GC offerings. It’s double the price of the b58 GC and similarly priced to the s55 twin turbo GC upgrade which is a shame.

I believe Pure have something else in the works for the n55 which will have more potential than the ps2 if that’s of interest to you.
Thanks for the info!
What do you mean by "GC"?

The Vargas is definitely an expensive piece. Pure is also at the top of my list and probably what I'll go with. I believe they're in socal. So close to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:15 AM   #4
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Thanks for the info!

The Vargas is definitely an expensive piece. Pure is also at the top of my list and probably what I'll go with. I believe they're in socal. So close to me.
What are your goals?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 03:49 PM   #5
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

500 wheel
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
500 wheel
Can do that relatively easily on the Pure with proper fueling (Stage 2 HPFP and E30/WMI).

Benefits of going other kits will be the available headroom and potentially faster turbo spool due to the different turbo and exhaust manifold options. Downsides are complexity and cost.

You'll definitely need to allocate a portion of your budget to fueling due to the crappy CA 91 gas we have.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | Dorch Stage 3 HPFP | Nostrum S2 Injectors | Walbro 535 | EOS EKP | BendCalibration Flex Fuel Kit | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:11 PM   #7
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:
500 wheel
Can do that relatively easily on the Pure with proper fueling (Stage 2 HPFP and E30/WMI).

Benefits of going other kits will be the available headroom and potentially faster turbo spool due to the different turbo and exhaust manifold options. Downsides are complexity and cost.

You'll definitely need to allocate a portion of your budget to fueling due to the crappy CA 91 gas we have.
I have 2 stations under a mile from my house that sell e85. So that's an option. My biggest concern is tracking the car on e85. I usually drive the car to the track. M2s get bad fuel economy as is. So I'd need to shlep 20+ gallons of fuel to one track day. I know the benefits of e85. It just seems like a huge hassle. Now if I buy a car trailer that's a different story lol. I'm wondering if with the PS2, dorch stage 2, a better lpfp, and water meth if I'd be able to hit 500 whp.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep

Quote:
I have 2 stations under a mile from my house that sell e85. So that's an option. My biggest concern is tracking the car on e85. I usually drive the car to the track. M2s get bad fuel economy as is. So I'd need to shlep 20+ gallons of fuel to one track day. I know the benefits of e85. It just seems like a huge hassle. Now if I buy a car trailer that's a different story lol. I'm wondering if with the PS2, dorch stage 2, a better lpfp, and water meth if I'd be able to hit 500 whp.
Plenty of examples of the N55's with Pure Stage 2 doing 500whp on pump gas and WMI. You probably wouldn't need to get a stage 2 LPFP (And upgraded EKP to supplement the additional LPFP current draw) with that set-up in my opinion since you won't be running E. Will need to get a good custom tune in place and a proper meth set-up though.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:04 PM   #9
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
Pure has had something in the works, the so-called PS3, for at least 3 years now. They teased me with it back when I was looking for an upgrade in 2018.

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Vargas calls their turbo kits GC which stands for Game Changer.

I'm selling both a Pure Stage 2 turbo kit and a Speedtech Stage 3 turbo kit in the classifieds section for anyone looking.
      11-17-2020, 07:42 PM   #10
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Quote:
Plenty of examples of the N55's with Pure Stage 2 doing 500whp on pump gas and WMI. You probably wouldn't need to get a stage 2 LPFP (And upgraded EKP to supplement the additional LPFP current draw) with that set-up in my opinion since you won't be running E. Will need to get a good custom tune in place and a proper meth set-up though.
What's an EKP?

You guys kill me with the abbreviations lol

Good to know though! Thank you very much! I will definitely be looking to work with a reputable tuner. I have access to a dyno. So I'd like to hammer out a good tune that will crank on the track.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #11
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
Quote:
Pure has had something in the works, the so-called PS3, for at least 3 years now. They teased me with it back when I was looking for an upgrade in 2018.

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
Vargas calls their turbo kits GC which stands for Game Changer.

I'm selling both a Pure Stage 2 turbo kit and a Speedtech Stage 3 turbo kit in the classifieds section for anyone looking.
Maybe I'll reach out to pure! I sent you a message though.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:36 PM   #12
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
What's an EKP?

The EKP is the factory controller that controls the low pressure fuel pump (LPFP). Upgraded LPFP fuel pumps draw more current which will overheat the stock EKP and cause it to shutdown and eventually fail. Read all about it in the description here for the upgraded EKP.
      11-17-2020, 09:27 PM   #13
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What's an EKP?

The EKP is the factory controller that controls the low pressure fuel pump (LPFP). Upgraded LPFP fuel pumps draw more current which will overheat the stock EKP and cause it to shutdown and eventually fail. Read all about it in the description here for the upgraded EKP.
Dude! Thank you for that knowledge!! Very very helpful
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 05:30 AM   #14
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I remember hearing rumours a few years back. A friend of mine sells Pure turbos and has heard the new offering should be available soon....we will see.

To be honest the GC style turbos are ideal for me, stock location and hardware but removing all the oem turbo restrictions with greater power potential than a traditional hybrid. Just doesn’t sit well with me that the n55 offering is double the price over the b58 etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2020, 07:22 AM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

FYI the N55 GC is not going to be available for another 4-6 months

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
tenkies147.00
      11-22-2020, 01:47 AM   #16
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 2018 M2

Currently running Vargas GC DBB Turbo with upgraded Garrett CHRA. Thus far with the custom tuning with Dorch HPFP and WMI 50/50 it is pulling very hard. It has created a bit of turbo lag until you hit 2,700rpm but once it hits, it immediately builds boost very quickly. The car is on its 4th revision thus far and has some more to go, but it is pulling very hard and pulling on my friends stage 2 FBO F80 with ease. Definitely need to get the car dynoed. I have not had any complaints thus far with the setup; however, if you opt to go with this kit I would reach out to Vargas Sales Department to ensure they include 2 Banjo Bolt assemblies for your coolant and oil feed lines as the lines will run straight into the block if not. I had a professional shop do my install
And this was one thing that held us up until the part was overnighted. Everything else bolted right up but it is a very tight fit. Prolly one of the biggest turbos you can fit in the engine bay without shaving down the block.
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2020, 09:21 AM   #17
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CameronM2LCI View Post
Currently running Vargas GC DBB Turbo with upgraded Garrett CHRA. Thus far with the custom tuning with Dorch HPFP and WMI 50/50 it is pulling very hard. It has created a bit of turbo lag until you hit 2,700rpm but once it hits, it immediately builds boost very quickly. The car is on its 4th revision thus far and has some more to go, but it is pulling very hard and pulling on my friends stage 2 FBO F80 with ease. Definitely need to get the car dynoed. I have not had any complaints thus far with the setup; however, if you opt to go with this kit I would reach out to Vargas Sales Department to ensure they include 2 Banjo Bolt assemblies for your coolant and oil feed lines as the lines will run straight into the block if not. I had a professional shop do my install
And this was one thing that held us up until the part was overnighted. Everything else bolted right up but it is a very tight fit. Prolly one of the biggest turbos you can fit in the engine bay without shaving down the block.
Hey man thanks for the insight! That sounds amazing! Smoking f80s is definitely the goal. I'm tired of s55 folks thinking they are the only ones that can make big power lol. I think over 2700rpm will be fine because I spend most my time above that rpm range on track or in the canyons.

What water meth system are you running??
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2020, 10:26 AM   #18
CameronM2LCI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 2018 M2

I am running a progressive stage 2.5 Snow Performance Kit. It does a tremendous job keeping my IATs down while offering some additional fueling. I would make sure to get Steel Braided Lines when running any sort of WMI kit.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2020, 12:02 AM   #19
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am running a progressive stage 2.5 Snow Performance Kit. It does a tremendous job keeping my IATs down while offering some additional fueling. I would make sure to get Steel Braided Lines when running any sort of WMI kit.
Are you running braided lines?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 09:05 PM   #20
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Do you have anything in place if your meth stop flowing or are you just using it for cooling?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 09:22 AM   #21
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Quote:
Do you have anything in place if your meth stop flowing or are you just using it for cooling?
I only plan on using meth for cooling. My tune won't be dependent on it for octane.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #22
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Just run E85 on the street and Race Gas at the track and skip worrying about WMI.

You'll have to schlep gallons of 50/50 meth anyways (less so) for an open track day, and you'll have to closely monitor your level if you're going to run a Stg 2+ map and not have a built in fail safe. Otherwise, you'd have to dial back the power and that misses the point of what you're trying to accomplish.

You'll also need to upgrade the cooling components on your car and run MaxCool settings in your tune if you're going to push that much power on track. Even with those upgrades I don't think you'll be able to keep the car cool with 500whp without a custom cooling setup. That's a topic for a different thread.
Appreciate 0