BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > The end of the M2 article.

11-15-2020, 12:09 PM   #23
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizmo 335i View Post
I’ve been resisting a Corvette as it makes me feel a little douchey. I’m not a track star so I feel like a poser when I’m in one. If the next gen M2 is a disappointment I guess I’ll just have to get over my self-consciousness.
Tweaked that for you . 911 in any generation/iteration will make you into a track star without even trying. And you won't be a douche about it, but rather a connoisseur.
Appreciate 1
c1pher4544.00
      11-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
Here's my nitpick about the G87: The S58 has a redline that's about 400 RPM lower than the S55. On the one hand, who cares because it makes way more power, but on the other hand you will always have the knowledge that your engine got nerfed so BMW could potentially mate it to a torque converter.
I have a feeling that reviewers will complain about a lack of DCT transmission.
I don't think so, they wouldn't want to risk their man card by saying anything but "who cares, just buy the MT"
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 02:46 PM   #25
Gizmo 335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C BSM, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Tweaked that for you . 911 in any generation/iteration will make you into a track star without even trying. And you won't be a douche about it, but rather a connoisseur.
Good work!!!
Appreciate 2
c1pher4544.00
      11-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #26
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
Echoing what others have said, the M2 will likely be the last BMW I buy. Every announcement BMW make these days just seems to take them yet another step away from what I look for in a car. My next car will likely be a Porsche but who knows, other manufactures continue to surprise - Jaguar, Alfa, Lotus etc. I'm keeping my eyes wide and my options open.
Yes me too. I think a large part of BMW moving away from coupes is the poor sales of the M8 and 8 series. I would assume the next M3 sells better than the M4 because it is a lot easier to pack groceries and people with four doors.

Last edited by RPM33; 11-16-2020 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:41 AM   #27
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

I do think think the M2, M4, and 4-series coupe will stick around. The M2 has a very strong following and the 4er/M4 seem to be strong sellers. The 8er and maybe basic versions of the 2 and 4 coupes could see the axe?

I also fear for what will become of the next M2. I'm going to expect a larger, heavier, and slightly uglier car until proven otherwise. But if they can maintain the visceral nature of the current car they will likely get a sale from me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 02:43 AM   #28
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM33 View Post
Yes me too. I think a large part of BMW moving away from coupes is the poor sales of the M8 and 8 series. I would assume the next M3 sells better than the M4 because it is a lot easier to pack groceries and people with four doors.
I don't have the sales numbers, but in my anecdotal experience I have seen far more F82 M4s than I have F80 M3s. It's not even close.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-17-2020, 02:57 AM   #29
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
I keep saying BMW is trying to become Toyota. That’s not a bad thing unless you like sports cars. I mean Toyota/Lexus does build sports cars (I guess) and GTs but I wouldn’t say they are really top of the segment. I really like the LC but at just over $100k, I feel like there are a lot more exciting alternatives. It is very luxurious and have a super awesome sound. It is a very isolated car, heavy and numb feeling much like BMW has become.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:07 AM   #30
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
I don't have the sales numbers, but in my anecdotal experience I have seen far more F82 M4s than I have F80 M3s. It's not even close.
To be fair, BMW could have hit a home run with the M2 right out of the gate but chose not to. They could have put the S55 in from the start and given it an adaptive suspension (at least as an option). And they could have worked on the steering rack a bit more. I can’t speak for the M2CS, maybe they improved that part. I mean a Golf R has adaptive suspension, BMW couldn’t work that in? I think the problem with the M2 is that BMW saw it as a poor man’s M4 Coupe instead of what people really wanted was ALL the M4 parts in a smaller, lighter package. Of course the problem with that is then you just buy the M2 instead of the M4 so I get it.
Appreciate 1
Germanauto9665.50
      11-17-2020, 03:10 AM   #31
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
To be fair, BMW could have hit a home run with the M2 right out of the gate but chose not to. They could have put the S55 in from the start and given it an adaptive suspension (at least as an option). And they could have worked on the steering rack a bit more. I can’t speak for the M2CS, maybe they improved that part. I mean a Golf R has adaptive suspension, BMW couldn’t work that in? I think the problem with the M2 is that BMW saw it as a poor man’s M4 Coupe instead of what people really wanted was ALL the M4 parts in a smaller, lighter package. Of course the problem with that is then you just buy the M2 instead of the M4 so I get it.
Good points. I do think the M2 has been a home run overall, even before the Comp model. That car was lighter, priced even less, and like the M2C also appeared on Car & Driver's 10 Best.

It still boggles my mind, in a good way, how there are still people in Munich who care about us BMW enthusiasts. Most of what BMW has done for a decade now has been disappointing, but the M2 stands as one of the few bright spots showing that BMW has still got it. I'm very thankful for this car.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 03:19 AM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Good points. I do think the M2 has been a home run overall, even before the Comp model. That car was lighter, priced even less, and like the M2C also appeared on Car & Driver's 10 Best.
I take the top 10 list anymore with a grain of salt. As much as I like the Corvette C8 they gave it a top 10 when it was preproduction and no one could even get it...and then the reviewers started speaking out after the fact. I do think there is a mix of objectivism and subjectivism (funds transfer) along with clickbait to sell magazines. And I do agree that they hit the mark on their ranking in a lot of cases, sometimes they leave you scratching your head. Yes M2 was on the list, multiple years in fact, I will agree with you.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #33
Al Bundy's Dodge
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
I think part of it is just classic sales strategy. The M4 is in a higher "class", so if the M2 had everything the M4 had, you'd cannibalize M4 sales.

Plus, if the M2 had all of that out of the gate, there wouldn't be the noticeable improvements we've seen between M2, M2C, and M2CS that has justified price increases and really made each version unique to its predecessor.

In other words, I get it.

But I still think to this day the OG M2 is the best bang for the buck, and I'm glad BMW went the route they did so I could get into one of the best M cars ever made for relatively little money
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Interesting, but I look at the M2 a completely different way. The fact that it did not come with adaptive suspension in the first place made me raise my eyebrows, but in a good way.

Considering this car was built after 2015, it's pretty cool to see a car with passive suspension, slicktop available, manual handbrakes, 1 package and size of an E46. Imagine if they offered it without Idrive.

I respect the M2 because it's as back to basics as possible in this current market from a maker like BMW (and not something like Lotus).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2020, 10:36 AM   #35
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

This is a recycled story by carspoop. The G87 M2 is slated to go into production in Dec 2022. BMW typically has a seven year lifespan before the next generation model comes out. The new G42 (2 Series) has been in development for about 6+ yrs now. The G87 is currently under development and will debut as a 2023 MY. Any future changes BMW is considering will not appear for many years to come.
Quote:
In addition to the three-door 1 Series, 2 Series Gran Tourer, and 3 Series GT, tombstones are being chiseled for the 2 Series convertible, standard-wheelbase 7 Series, Z4 replacement (sorry, Toyota), and both two-door 8 Series variants.
Source: Automobile: What’s Going on at BMW? Many Future/Current Cars Are Being Axed
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Bundy's Dodge View Post
I think part of it is just classic sales strategy. The M4 is in a higher "class", so if the M2 had everything the M4 had, you'd cannibalize M4 sales.

Plus, if the M2 had all of that out of the gate, there wouldn't be the noticeable improvements we've seen between M2, M2C, and M2CS that has justified price increases and really made each version unique to its predecessor.

In other words, I get it.

But I still think to this day the OG M2 is the best bang for the buck, and I'm glad BMW went the route they did so I could get into one of the best M cars ever made for relatively little money
The N55 is a darling motor. Loved it in my 135is especially with the Dinan Stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 3
      11-17-2020, 01:58 PM   #37
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegge View Post
From the pre-production pictures you can tell the G87 M2 will be bigger than existing F87 M2.
That can't be all it takes to determine that one is a better car than the other, because in that case, my e36 M3 and Z4M is better than your M2.

Yes, I understand it'll be bigger and potentially heavier too, but that doesn't offset the fact that the G generation EPS has evolved, you're getting an S58 with 3 pedals (big deal for me) and probably more performance.

I've got my eyes closely on a G87 LCI as the last piece of the puzzle, especially if it'll be the last manual M offered. But with none of us having driven the car, absolutely no one can declare the F87 a clear winner, although it might end up being the case.
Well it looks odd with the weird headlights and seriously dated e90 tails
      11-17-2020, 02:37 PM   #38
gandapanda
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 & 19 Sentra

Garage List
Quote:
Interesting, but I look at the M2 a completely different way. The fact that it did not come with adaptive suspension in the first place made me raise my eyebrows, but in a good way.

Considering this car was built after 2015, it's pretty cool to see a car with passive suspension, slicktop available, manual handbrakes, 1 package and size of an E46. Imagine if they offered it without Idrive.

I respect the M2 because it's as back to basics as possible in this current market from a maker like BMW (and not something like Lotus).
Well said! I would have been even more interested in the M2 if it came with roll down windows.

S
1997 200SX SE-R - sold
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #39
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandapanda View Post
Quote:

Well said! I would have been even more interested in the M2 if it came with roll down windows.

S
That's Honda Civic material

Not for a modern performance car