BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine hesitation part throttle

10-31-2020, 03:50 PM   #23
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah if anything they should have increased the gap, also make sure that if they did pull the injectors that the o-ring seals at the tip of each injector and each decoupling element is renewed.

Low or high rpm flutter? And also low or high load flutter? Because low rpm and low load flutter is some times unavoidable but harmless with how these diverter valves try to retain some boost in the induction tract. High load and high rpm flutter is pretty bad.
They did pull the injectors and are going to order the decoupling element and o rings Monday.

The flutter is at low rpm and is the diverter valve. I will see about increasing the gap and if that makes a difference. The hesitation is getting worse though an feels like a jerky gear shift. This might be because the plugs gap has changed
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 04:10 PM   #24
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
They did pull the injectors and are going to order the decoupling element and o rings Monday.

The flutter is at low rpm and is the diverter valve. I will see about increasing the gap and if that makes a difference. The hesitation is getting worse though an feels like a jerky gear shift. This might be because the plugs gap has changed
Hmm this affirms my suspicion that shops that do not use ISTA always make mistakes, if they used ISTA they would have known in order to pull the injectors they would need to have decoupling elements and o-rings on hand to do the job properly.

low rpm and load flutter is inevitable with how these diverter valves work.

You should also buy new plugs as well, excessive misfires can damage the plug insulator which can cause it to drop into the cylinder and that is a big issue.
      10-31-2020, 07:03 PM   #25
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

ye
Quote:
Hmm this affirms my suspicion that shops that do not use ISTA always make mistakes, if they used ISTA they would have known in order to pull the injectors they would need to have decoupling elements and o-rings on hand to do the job properly.

low rpm and load flutter is inevitable with how these diverter valves work.

You should also buy new plugs as well, excessive misfires can damage the plug insulator which can cause it to drop into the cylinder and that is a big issue.
New plugs are on my list too do. Could the misfires be lune related as they have only been there since then
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 07:09 PM   #26
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
ye

New plugs are on my list too do. Could the misfires be lune related as they have only been there since then
It could be, how do your logs look? Is your fuel pressure holding up?

But overall it's hard to tell if the tune is the only cause as you did alot of mods at once.

Also tell your mechanic the stiffening plate bolts are single use, since he had to have taken that off for the turbo smart bov install.
      11-01-2020, 03:59 AM   #27
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It could be, how do your logs look? Is your fuel pressure holding up?

But overall it's hard to tell if the tune is the only cause as you did alot of mods at once.

Also tell your mechanic the stiffening plate bolts are single use, since he had to have taken that off for the turbo smart bov install.
I have been modifying the car since new as soon as they came out and the car had been running a different map with no issues for a few months.

I will pass the info. I know he has some form of ista so I will get him to check it
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:40 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I have been modifying the car since new as soon as they came out and the car had been running a different map with no issues for a few months.

I will pass the info. I know he has some form of ista so I will get him to check it
Hmm interesting, what mods did you do before the issues cropped up? But overall it could be tune related, is your tuner an ecutek master tuner?
      11-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #29
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm interesting, what mods did you do before the issues cropped up? But overall it could be tune related, is your tuner an ecutek master tuner?
Yes their a master tuner. They work on a fair few different platforms. All the mods other than the turbosmart which was put on due to a suspected boost leak on the dv+.

The turbo was making a noise like a supercharger and failed while the garage was testing it. Apart from the noise that I though was a boost leak there was no problem it was running spot on
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 02:57 PM   #30
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes their a master tuner. They work on a fair few different platforms. All the mods other than the turbosmart which was put on due to a suspected boost leak on the dv+.

The turbo was making a noise like a supercharger and failed while the garage was testing it. Apart from the noise that I though was a boost leak there was no problem it was running spot on
Hmm I am not sure then. First address the spark plugs and replace the seals and decoupling elements on the fuel injectors, then see if the issue goes away. If not then keep looking at the logs to see if there are fuel pressure drops. If that doesn't help then I am not sure what else can be done, maybe you will need to do a compression test if it is still cylinder 1 and 4.
      11-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #31
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hmm I am not sure then. First address the spark plugs and replace the seals and decoupling elements on the fuel injectors, then see if the issue goes away. If not then keep looking at the logs to see if there are fuel pressure drops. If that doesn't help then I am not sure what else can be done, maybe you will need to do a compression test if it is still cylinder 1 and 4.
I hope not its a brand new build on the blockhttp://datazap.me/sites/default/file...2011-07-52.csv

How do I upload files properly on here

Last edited by boldy1; 11-01-2020 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #32
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Its been on ista+ and no codes are showings
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:28 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Its been on ista+ and no codes are showings
That's good, it means there are no minor issues that can be the culprit. But it also means the misfires are so minor it doesn't trigger ecu codes.

I would address plug gaps first, and of course the fuel injector o rings and decoupling elements as well.

If that doesn't fix it that could mean the tune. Again it's hard to tell over the internet, and not being the one that did all the mods.
      11-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #34
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That's good, it means there are no minor issues that can be the culprit. But it also means the misfires are so minor it doesn't trigger ecu codes.

I would address plug gaps first, and of course the fuel injector o rings and decoupling elements as well.

If that doesn't fix it that could mean the tune. Again it's hard to tell over the internet, and not being the one that did all the mods.
Plugs are going to be gapped to what you recommend and the decoupling element has been ordered for the injector that was pulled.

I was speaking to a tech earlier that said it could be a faulty injector or loom that is causing the issue. He also said that it might not be the one the misfires are happening on. Or possibly the injector loom.

Another thing that has been mentioned by the garage is that the wagner sports cat is full from the oil from when the turbo went and or possibly the lamb sensor.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Plugs are going to be gapped to what you recommend and the decoupling element has been ordered for the injector that was pulled.

I was speaking to a tech earlier that said it could be a faulty injector or loom that is causing the issue. He also said that it might not be the one the misfires are happening on. Or possibly the injector loom.

Another thing that has been mentioned by the garage is that the wagner sports cat is full from the oil from when the turbo went and or possibly the lamb sensor.
Good to know.

If you moved the injectors previously and the misfires did not follow then it would be more likely to be the wiring than the injector itself, although wiring issues are not common it is possible.

Yes that could also be the issue - oil destroying the oxygen sensor. I would suspect afr readings to be weird if that was the case.

If none of that addresses it, then you will probably have to do a compression test which is a nightmare scenario as that is essentially seeing if you engine has blown.
      11-02-2020, 04:24 PM   #36
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Good to know.

If you moved the injectors previously and the misfires did not follow then it would be more likely to be the wiring than the injector itself, although wiring issues are not common it is possible.

Yes that could also be the issue - oil destroying the oxygen sensor. I would suspect afr readings to be weird if that was the case.

If none of that addresses it, then you will probably have to do a compression test which is a nightmare scenario as that is essentially seeing if you engine has blown.
It will be as i only just built it and I won't be to happy as it has only just been broke in. At the moment the car will pull hard in every gear on load and not miss a beat. The issue was getting worse tho. The garage said none of the signs are there for low compression and at this point he doesn't think it is that issue a compression test isn't a big job tho so it might be better to get one done before spending on new cays and sensors
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:02 PM   #37
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It will be as i only just built it and I won't be to happy as it has only just been broke in. At the moment the car will pull hard in every gear on load and not miss a beat. The issue was getting worse tho. The garage said none of the signs are there for low compression and at this point he doesn't think it is that issue a compression test isn't a big job tho so it might be better to get one done before spending on new cays and sensors
Yes it doesn't sound like a compression issue if the car can still pull hard. But you probably shouldn't be doing pulls while it's misfiring.

Again it's hard to give any meaningful diagnostics over the internet without seeing the car in person, seeing the issue, and know what has been done to it.

All I can say is hopefully your shop can fix it, but I hope we helped a bit in this thread by giving you updated plug gaps, catching injector seals and decoupling elements.
      11-03-2020, 03:10 AM   #38
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Yes it doesn't sound like a compression issue if the car can still pull hard. But you probably shouldn't be doing pulls while it's misfiring.

Again it's hard to give any meaningful diagnostics over the internet without seeing the car in person, seeing the issue, and know what has been done to it.

All I can say is hopefully your shop can fix it, but I hope we helped a bit in this thread by giving you updated plug gaps, catching injector seals and decoupling elements.
Hopefully they will🤞. I haven't been doing pulls just to 4k half throttle. The garage told me it pulls hard and the problem isn't there on throttle.

It will help and any advise is a start and builds on your knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 06:12 PM   #39
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Update on this issue after swapping injectors. New plugs new coils new lamba sensors switching Tmap sensors. Compression testing logging head scratching and general getting pissed off the problem has been solved.

Its the setting off the xdi35 more precisely the low flow settings that are causing the issues and I believe that this same issue is what is plaguing many other m2s around the place.

Thanks to my tuners and ecutek the issue with the pump has been sorted 👌 no noise no misfires nothing. We knew the was a issue with the low flow all along and with most your cars you won't even notice it's there. But there is a solution avaliable now the Dorch is being worked on too.

I thought I would mention it as there is nothing with a positive outcome posted
Appreciate 2
F87source7245.50
      11-25-2020, 06:32 PM   #40
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Update on this issue after swapping injectors. New plugs new coils new lamba sensors switching Tmap sensors. Compression testing logging head scratching and general getting pissed off the problem has been solved.

Its the setting off the xdi35 more precisely the low flow settings that are causing the issues and I believe that this same issue is what is plaguing many other m2s around the place.

Thanks to my tuners and ecutek the issue with the pump has been sorted 👌 no noise no misfires nothing. We knew the was a issue with the low flow all along and with most your cars you won't even notice it's there. But there is a solution avaliable now the Dorch is being worked on too.

I thought I would mention it as there is nothing with a positive outcome posted
Thanks for your update it is extremely valuable!

I'm also glad to hear you solved the issue, darn HPFP upgrades it seems to be a huge plague with tuning recently.
      11-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #41
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

I'm also glad to hear you solved the issue, darn HPFP upgrades it seems to be a huge plague with tuning recently.
They have been i think this issue has the potential to kill a engine if left unchecked or noticed
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 02:52 AM   #42
Leaveatrail86
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

So if I’m having p0305 misfire that’s nonstop after new plugs, coils, cyl 5 injector… then it could be the settings in my dorch stage 2 hpfp??

Edit: Seems like it went away. I only get a little hick up/stumble when I punch it in 2nd gear. One thing I notice is if I’m at idle, I give it a little rev and it seems to break up. Possibly plug gap related? I’m going to try the .28 you recommended. Thank you

Last edited by Leaveatrail86; 07-22-2022 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0