BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Engine hesitation part throttle

10-30-2020, 03:39 PM   #1
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW's m2

Engine hesitation part throttle

So my car has been having misfires on idle and during part throttle, feels almost like a jerky gear change when moving. It is starting to get a bit worse too over time. There is no error codes showing. I did however get this code IF0526 (DMEi internal errors Safety function: torque
comparison) which put the car into limp mode. The plugs and coils are under 1500miles old

The car has the following mods

Mpe
Wagner downpipe
Wagner evo 3 intercooler
Xdi 35 hpfp
3.5 bar tmap
Tte550
Turbosmart diverter
Csf radiator,oil and dct cooler
Ecutek map
Ngk 1step colder plugs

The plug and coils have been rearranged but the code is still primary on cylinder 1 and 4 have any of you had a similar issue and overcome it.

I also have the chirpy hpfp which is quite annoying and is gradually getting worse any help would be appreciated.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

nothingman may have some input on this.

I’ve heard the chirping may go away if you disable cold start, and the misfires/stumbling may actually be compressor surge and would have to be addressed in the tune?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:19 PM   #3
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
nothingman may have some input on this.

I’ve heard the chirping may go away if you disable cold start, and the misfires/stumbling may actually be compressor surge and would have to be addressed in the tune?
Thanks bud I hope its not surging t his turbos brand new I did read a post nothing man wrote on a post of a previous thread. The thread went dead tho
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #4
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Forgot to add the car has been on the rollers and test driving all day trying to find out the cause
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:04 PM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

What are your spark plug gaps? Maybe cylinder 1 and 4 run hotter or colder (because of the way the turbo fold is setup and possible restrictions etc) than the rest resulting in incomplete combustion.

Or maybe it could be your fuel injectors.

Did you do a scan with ISTA?
      10-30-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
What are your spark plug gaps? Maybe cylinder 1 and 4 run hotter or colder (because of the way the turbo fold is setup and possible restrictions etc) than the rest resulting in incomplete combustion.

Or maybe it could be your fuel injectors.

Did you do a scan with ISTA?
Standard gap of the NGK t hey did regards 1 and 4 but it didn't make a difference I think the moved injectors round too. I haven't heard of any issues with the turbo but you never know.

I will ask for an ista scan tomorrow. I asked on the last post and they assuassured me their software will pick up anything ista will.

Do you think the xdi35 might be the issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:16 PM   #7
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldy1 View Post
Standard gap of the NGK t hey did regards 1 and 4 but it didn't make a difference I think the moved injectors round too. I haven't heard of any issues with the turbo but you never know.

I will ask for an ista scan tomorrow. I asked on the last post and they assuassured me their software will pick up anything ista will.

Sorry meant to add they remapped 1 and 4 to .22
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:25 PM   #8
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I had a micro misfire issue with plugs gapped down to 0.020-0.022. At F87source recommendation, I opened them up. Went to 0.026 and the issue went away.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:41 PM   #9
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I had a micro misfire issue with plugs gapped down to 0.020-0.022. At F87source recommendation, I opened them up. Went to 0.026 and the issue went away.
I will get the garage to try this as it may work. Will a leaking injector cause the issue. And what's the symptoms of a micro misfire?

I forgot to mention i have the amra cold air intake. Do you think this might cause an issue
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:50 PM   #10
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I will get the garage to try this as it may work. Will a leaking injector cause the issue. And what's the symptoms of a micro misfire?

I forgot to mention i have the amra cold air intake. Do you think this might cause an issue
Well, I didn’t have low RPM or part throttle issues. Mine was during WOT when doing logs or dyno. So, this may/may not help, but thought I’d throw it out there.

Compressor surge shows up low RPM/part throttle tho. Especially noticeable when you’re on the highway, have cruise set to 70-72mph and you hit an incline where the car asks for a little more throttle. Then you get these little hiccups, but no CEL or codes.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 07:05 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Sorry can you rephrase what you wrote for the first bit I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I do not know what standard gaps for NGK are so I cannot comment on that.

There is no way they moved the injectors around, it is not that easy to remove and move around. If they did they would have to replace the decoupling elements and each individual O-ring, if they did not do that then expect injector leakage. I had to do this on my FRS and this was a huge pain in the ass because the O-rings required a special tool and even with that it was super hard to install.

It shouldn't be turbo related otherwise it would be likely to affect all 6 cylinders and you would have boost target issues.

If it is a generic obd2 scanner it will not pick up everything ISTA can, if it is a more expensive OBD2 scanner it might but it will not be as up to date and integrated as ISTA. This is one of the reasons why I hate shops that say they work on bmw but do not have the bmw specific hardware required to properly diagnose issues.

No if it was the HPFP all cylinders are likely to be affected and you would see the hpfp pressures below target. Cricket noises from the HPFP is normal, my FRS had it quite badly.
      10-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That gap is too small for what your mods should be allowing your car to make in terms of horsepower. Again it is hard to tell without reading the plugs and logs.

Quote:
+1

Quote:

Yeah a leaky injector could be the issue, and if they did indeed remove injectors like you said then that would only make the issue worse as each o-ring on the tip of the injector and decoupling element needs to be replaced.

But it if it was a leaky injector why are there weird issues on all cylinders, mainly 1 and 4.

Micromisfires are detected by hearing pinging sounds, or by the car throwing a code, or by logs. Compressor surging also by hearing a fluttering sound. Misfires generallly are associated with weird power delivery but not really in the case of compressor surge as that is caused by a blow off valve/diverter valve not functioning properly and venting boost causing the compressor to stall. If the turbo is not making power properly and is hesitating it could be a different factor to surge.

Yeah intakes can cause weird issues with the maf and cause issues on idle and cold starts when the maf is in use. But it should not really cause misfires because as soon as you are on load the car should switch to speed density and thus maf readings are not needed.
      10-30-2020, 07:18 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Well, I didn’t have low RPM or part throttle issues. Mine was during WOT when doing logs or dyno. So, this may/may not help, but thought I’d throw it out there.

Compressor surge shows up low RPM/part throttle tho. Especially noticeable when you’re on the highway, have cruise set to 70-72mph and you hit an incline where the car asks for a little more throttle. Then you get these little hiccups, but no CEL or codes.
That doesn't sound like compressor surge, surge occurs after lift off when boost cannot escape and is forced against the blades of the compressor causing stalling and it makes that flutter noise. RPM and load doesn't matter as it can occur at any point in the power band, low rpm and low load surge is not detrimental but high load and rpm surge is.

Here is a very good video describing compressor surge:

What you are describing sounds like load induced knock or misfires aka lugging the engine. If at low rpm and high gear if you induce more throttle without down shifting the engine has a hard time speeding up due to the high gearing, this can cause the combustion to punch the piston down so hard it pushes the bearings past the oil film and hits the crank (in really harsh cases). In minor cases it can cause some weird hesitation and knock and misfires. So always down shift when trying to speed up at low rpm.
      10-30-2020, 07:26 PM   #14
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
That doesn't sound like compressor surge, surge occurs after lift off when boost cannot escape and is forced against the blades of the compressor causing stalling and it makes that flutter noise. RPM and load doesn't matter as it can occur at any point in the power band, low rpm and low load surge is not detrimental but high load and rpm surge is.

Here is a very good video describing compressor surge:

What you are describing sounds like load induced knock or misfires aka lugging the engine. If at low rpm and high gear if you induce more throttle without down shifting the engine has a hard time speeding up due to the high gearing, this can cause the combustion to punch the piston down so hard it pushes the bearings past the oil film and hits the crank (in really harsh cases). In minor cases it can cause some weird hesitation and knock and misfires. So always down shift when trying to speed up at low rpm.
Good to know. That issue for me did go away once I fixed my plug gaps. Had been chatting with some guys with larger turbos saying they thought it was compressor surge, but guess not.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 10:31 PM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good to know. That issue for me did go away once I fixed my plug gaps. Had been chatting with some guys with larger turbos saying they thought it was compressor surge, but guess not.
Yeah those symptoms don't sound like surge.
      10-31-2020, 03:43 AM   #16
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Sorry can you rephrase what you wrote for the first bit I don't understand what you are trying to get at. I do not know what standard gaps for NGK are so I cannot comment on that.

There is no way they moved the injectors around, it is not that easy to remove and move around. If they did they would have to replace the decoupling elements and each individual O-ring, if they did not do that then expect injector leakage. I had to do this on my FRS and this was a huge pain in the ass because the O-rings required a special tool and even with that it was super hard to install.

It shouldn't be turbo related otherwise it would be likely to affect all 6 cylinders and you would have boost target issues.

If it is a generic obd2 scanner it will not pick up everything ISTA can, if it is a more expensive OBD2 scanner it might but it will not be as up to date and integrated as ISTA. This is one of the reasons why I hate shops that say they work on bmw but do not have the bmw specific hardware required to properly diagnose issues.

No if it was the HPFP all cylinders are likely to be affected and you would see the hpfp pressures below target. Cricket noises from the HPFP is normal, my FRS had it quite badly.
Sorry bud, what i meant to say was :

The garage told me they removed 2 of the plugs and gapped them at a tighter clearance. I didn't see the point but they done it quickly at the end of the day just to check if it would help.

I will definitely check on the injector this morning as I was reading about the decoupling element last night.

The fluttering I have heard when letting off the throttle. I had the dv+ with my previous turbo and it made the noise and it is the same with the new turbo and turbosmart diverter valve.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:05 AM   #17
Daleb
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

With regards to the chirpy hpfp it will be down to the parameters your tuner has used.

I have the same with my Dorch although it does get quieter as the car warms up. Spoke to Dorch directly and they will be releasing an update for bm3 users so the pump is completely silent.

You might need to reach out to XDI for some input and maybe they can help your tuner.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 05:12 AM   #18
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleb View Post
With regards to the chirpy hpfp it will be down to the parameters your tuner has used.

I have the same with my Dorch although it does get quieter as the car warms up. Spoke to Dorch directly and they will be releasing an update for bm3 users so the pump is completely silent.

You might need to reach out to XDI for some input and maybe they can help your tuner.
Xdi don't reply bud and ttfs say their going to reply and don't. It definitely down to the parameters. After sales is shocking for a 2k pump. They have been called, emailed still no response it does get quite when it warms but the noise is getting worse
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #19
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Xdi don't reply bud and ttfs say their going to reply and don't. It definitely down to the parameters. After sales is shocking for a 2k pump. They have been called, emailed still no response it does get quite when it warms but the noise is getting worse
That’s a shame. TTFS is 30min from where I live, and I don’t use them bc of feedback like yours.

Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #20
boldy1
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
That’s a shame. TTFS is 30min from where I live, and I don’t use them bc of feedback like yours.

Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks bud the misfire is getting worse. The garage will get it sorted next week hopefully might be something simple.

It was the only pump available at the time I bought it looks like they take the money and run. Its low pressure control at low rpm that the problem is ecutek are looking at this tho to see what can be done
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      10-31-2020, 03:39 PM   #21
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Sorry bud, what i meant to say was :

The garage told me they removed 2 of the plugs and gapped them at a tighter clearance. I didn't see the point but they done it quickly at the end of the day just to check if it would help.

I will definitely check on the injector this morning as I was reading about the decoupling element last night.

The fluttering I have heard when letting off the throttle. I had the dv+ with my previous turbo and it made the noise and it is the same with the new turbo and turbosmart diverter valve.
Yeah if anything they should have increased the gap, also make sure that if they did pull the injectors that the o-ring seals at the tip of each injector and each decoupling element is renewed.

Low or high rpm flutter? And also low or high load flutter? Because low rpm and low load flutter is some times unavoidable but harmless with how these diverter valves try to retain some boost in the induction tract. High load and high rpm flutter is pretty bad.
      10-31-2020, 03:41 PM   #22
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yikes that is unfortunate.