BMW M2 Forum > M2 vs... > BMW M2 Competition vs Honda Civic Type R

09-29-2020, 02:26 AM   #1
AnnEllie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW mini

Talking BMW M2 Competition vs Honda Civic Type R

Hey guys, just watched this video. Funny ideas.

Feeling that BMW M2 had met a strong competitor.
Honda civic type R is also an amazing car, I admit that. (ps. I’m a fan of bmw 4ever.)
Type R run fast surprisingly, for his lightness. And it did a good job.
“So the BMW is almost double the price And has almost 100 hp more And is 1 second faster.”
( I saw this comment from Youtube)

Anyone own these two cars the same time in reality? Except the people in the video. Hahaha….
This time which one do you support? M2 or type R?
I like both this time.
Any ideas are welcome.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2020, 02:32 AM   #2
AnnEllie
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEllie View Post
Hey guys, just watched this video. Funny ideas.

Feeling that BMW M2 had met a strong competitor.
Honda civic type R is also an amazing car, I admit that. (ps. I’m a fan of bmw 4ever.)
Type R run fast surprisingly, for his lightness. And it did a good job.
“So the BMW is almost double the price And has almost 100 hp more And is 1 second faster.”
( I saw this comment from Youtube)
Anyway, I have to say that Honda brv, wrv, suv and crv series models these years all have some punchlines.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 08:02 AM   #3
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I don’t see the point in comparing these cars at all. They aren’t in the same price range, they have totally different driving characteristics, they are nothing alike in interior comfort- nor in styling either exterior or interior. They aren’t even the same body style.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #4
stulio2181
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

I dunno, I thought it was a cool video. Sure they're very different rides, but still fun to watch.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Oh No, not this thread again.

Honda has pushed the platform as far as it can go.

My previous car was a EVO X with around 500 WHP.

I quickly got bored with it...

Why? It pushed in corners like an Audi, and was too easy to drive fast.

The Honda will also drive like an AWD vehicle when on the go pedal. The LSD up front mitigates much of the TQ steer and traction issues that a FWD platform has. You can overdrive the car with the LSD, but with serious TTU (trailing throttle understeer) Its kind of fun for a short period of time but like I said if your an enthusiast it gets old quick!

One big problem is weight distribution. No way to get around that in a FWD car. 60-65% of the weight over the front axle. Which really taxes the front tires and front brakes. The rears are basically along for the ride..

Its a great car for the money, but FWD drive just plain sucks. Nothing is more entertaining than a well setup RWD P-Car, or BMW.

YMMV,
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2020, 11:05 PM   #6
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Got both and love both. Pricing and sense of reliability aside which we all know Type-R will win. Quality and drag race, stock per stock we all know M2C wins. Steering, tranny, drive feel, you will be surprised how good the TypeR is with its adjustable dampers, that the M2C don't even have. The M2C is definitely more capable and fun on the track if you are willing to toss around your precious M2C like the Stig. But if you are just a weekend warrior, as far as results in track performance and daily fun while putting aside fanboy antics, I would not hesitate taking the Type-R over the M2C. Still glad I'm blessed to have both.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2020, 11:17 PM   #7
Mizono
Rep
Drives: s13 lanevo

I think it's a great review because it allows the person who can't afford the BMW M2C but can afford the Honda CTR to get an idea of how the two performance focused cars compare and perform at the limit. For someone that loves the M2 and not really interested in the CTR watching the review reveals how far the fwd platform has come, the level of performance is impressive for what it is. The CTR is a practical sports car with an msrp $20k less than an M2C, despite the styling of the CTR is very polarizing and unsophisticated. If you look at cars $20k over the msrp of the M2C the BMW turns into the practical and affordable option, this doesn't diminish it and it's still interesting to compare even if it's not in the same class.
Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      10-04-2020, 08:36 AM   #8
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizono View Post
I think it's a great review because it allows the person who can't afford the BMW M2C but can afford the Honda CTR to get an idea of how the two performance focused cars compare and perform at the limit. For someone that loves the M2 and not really interested in the CTR watching the review reveals how far the fwd platform has come, the level of performance is impressive for what it is. The CTR is a practical sports car with an msrp $20k less than an M2C, despite the styling of the CTR is very polarizing and unsophisticated. If you look at cars $20k over the msrp of the M2C the BMW turns into the practical and affordable option, this doesn't diminish it and it's still interesting to compare even if it's not in the same class.
I would argue you can get that information from the plethora of individual reviews out there on each car. I find the CTR fascinating and impressive, but that’s because I’ve watched a half dozen reviews dedicated to the car. Comparisons are more valuable when the cars are in the same segment (hot hatches for example) neither vehicle is clearly “better” but “different.” For example, a Golf R vs a CTR. This review might make CTR owners feel good about the value they got for their money, but there are going to be exceedingly small examples where someone can afford both and choose the car that is 2/3 the price. I wouldn’t pick a CTR over my M2 any more than I’d pick my M2 over a 911.

At the end of the day it certainly isn’t hurting anyone, I just don’t think it’s particularly useful myself.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 03:46 PM   #9
TTHURACAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Has the perception of bmw M cars gone so low so as to compare it to a civic!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:12 PM   #10
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTHURACAN View Post
The “Civic” in Type-R form, perceptions aside, is a f**cking awesome car that is still in reach for most enthusiasts. While The M2C as exciting as it is, is a long term money pit due to its price and possible perceived reliability issues down the road. Not everyone are successful youtubers who can buy cars left and right and write it off as a “business expense”. You just get more for your money with the Type R, so the comparison imho is warranted.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:19 PM   #11
TTHURACAN
Banned
Rep
Drives: Lamborghini

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasnub View Post
I don’t see the point in comparing these cars at all. They aren’t in the same price range, they have totally different driving characteristics, they are nothing alike in interior comfort- nor in styling either exterior or interior. They aren’t even the same body style.
Agreed.

One is a coupe the other a sedan

One is fwd the other is rwd

One is based on an econobox the other is a bmw

One is a 4cyl the other i-6

The list goes on, different cars, this is one video i am not watching lol
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2020, 04:38 PM   #12
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Agreed.

One is a coupe the other a sedan

One is fwd the other is rwd

One is based on an econobox the other is a bmw

One is a 4cyl the other i-6

The list goes on, different cars, this is one video i am not watching lol
Too late, you are already here.
Appreciate 3
chris7197273.00
Moflow2484.50
D22M21368.00
      10-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #13
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
LOL
      10-20-2020, 01:46 AM   #14
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

CTR rocks on the track. Few of my S2000 friends have one. AWD version would make it king in its category. But man it's ugly...I'm sorry to say that. I can't get over the looks as a DD, including the interior. I'm the hands of a capable driver I'm sure the CTR is just as fast if not faster than the M2C, especially on shorter distance tracks. I love Honda cars and owned most of the fun ones over the years.
izzyM2641.00
chris7197273.00
Moflow2484.50
      10-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #15
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
CTR rocks on the track. Few of my S2000 friends have one. AWD version would make it king in its category. But man it's ugly...I'm sorry to say that. I can't get over the looks as a DD, including the interior. I'm the hands of a capable driver I'm sure the CTR is just as fast if not faster than the M2C, especially on shorter distance tracks. I love Honda cars and owned most of the fun ones over the years.
Yeah, I agree. In general I think there isn't enough acknowledgment that multiple cars can kick ass and that doesn't take anything away from any of them.

Generally speaking, i don't like FWD and generally speaking I don't like...uh...ugly cars. But the CTR is kick ass enough that i'd totally own one as long as it wasn't painted in a color that would make people look at it involuntarily.

If I wasn't able to afford the M2C, a CTR would've definitely been on my short list.
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 12:10 AM   #16
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
If I wasn't able to afford the M2C, a CTR would've definitely been on my short list.
Hold that thought cause you might just pay as much or more as an M2C for a CTR with this crazy market or crazy dealerships.

Attached is a text communication shared by a CTR forum member while shopping for his Type R.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      10-28-2020, 01:27 AM   #17
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

My son just bought a CTR - hell of a fun car! I’d buy a toned down (stylistic wise) CTR for sure
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      11-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #18
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
My son just bought a CTR - hell of a fun car! I’d buy a toned down (stylistic wise) CTR for sure
In Europe they have a Sport Line trim for the Type R, which ditches the wing and the 20-inch wheels in favor of 19-inch ones. Still a little extreme looking for my tastes, but also an improvement.

Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50
      11-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #19
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Just want to show off a few pics of my Type-R. Missing the M2C but I like my current combo adding an MX-5 Club in my garage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Moflow2484.50
      11-25-2020, 09:22 AM   #20
ironray
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I had a 2019 CTR and I traded in ( after 6 months) for a 2020 M2C on the last day before lockdown in 2019 March. Great trade in offer and killer deal 12% discount on the M2C. The Honda was riddled with problems ex: 2 gear grinding, valve cover leaking oil, AC problems. My wife has owned 7 BMWs and this is my second and by no means Am I a fan boy. However I have never experienced these problems with all the BMWS we have owned. Honda of today is a far cry from what they use to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:39 AM   #21
izzyM2
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironray View Post
I had a 2019 CTR and I traded in ( after 6 months) for a 2020 M2C on the last day before lockdown in 2019 March. Great trade in offer and killer deal 12% discount on the M2C. The Honda was riddled with problems ex: 2 gear grinding, valve cover leaking oil, AC problems. My wife has owned 7 BMWs and this is my second and by no means Am I a fan boy. However I have never experienced these problems with all the BMWS we have owned. Honda of today is a far cry from what they use to be.
I hear of these issues in CivicX forum, so far I have not seen them on mine or any other. Another previous Type R owner I met says he had 2nd gear grinding and traded it for the new Mini John Cooper. It’s too bad Honda does not acknowledge it and issue a TSB or lemon or maybe it’s just a bad batch??? Hopefully mine will continue to be problem free.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #22
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironray View Post
Fun fact... I had a 6spd manual 2008 Civic... it was the 2nd most unreliable car i've ever owned... and I had a 135i and 335i both with N54 motors .

For as simple of a car as it was... Honda's reliability was a joke compared to how complex some modern BMWs are and how reliable they are in their own right. As far as a vehicle as complex and made to beat on like an M2 and M3... no one can even come remotely close except maybe Porsche.
Appreciate 0