BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Steering Wheel options for the M2C?

07-25-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep
Drives: camels & donkeys

Steering Wheel options for the M2C?

Did a search but didn't find a dedicated thread...

What are some of the BMW and/or Aftermarket Steering wheel options for our car?

I know the M-performance V2 steering wheel is available:

and there is the CS steering wheel (all alcantara):

Is there others?

I'm looking for a "thicker" steering wheel, like those that were available for the F80 M3

F87 M2 Competition, Sunset Orange, Exc, DCT.
**SOLD** F80 M3 Mineral Grey/Sakir Orange, Exc, DCT... ED 6/2015
**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:36 PM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Sorry do not know of any other options - but I can say that I'm really happy with the CS (or DTM, or whatever it's called) steering wheel that I have on my M2. Big improvement over the stock in feel & size. If you like alcantara then might be one worth considering.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:46 PM   #3
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Sorry do not know of any other options - but I can say that I'm really happy with the CS (or DTM, or whatever it's called) steering wheel that I have on my M2. Big improvement over the stock in feel & size. If you like alcantara then might be one worth considering.
would you PM me the details and place you purchased it from?

also, how much thicker is this from the OEM one? from pics it looks substantially thicker, but not sure if it's just picture effect of the alcantra or not.

**SOLD**E90 M3, Interlagos Blue / M individual two-tone, ZCP, ZP2, ZCV, DCT, ED.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:06 PM   #4
IND-Distribution
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

The BMW M Performance V1 also would work. Pictured on the left, however it comes with the gloss carbon steering wheel trim.

Also the GTS steering wheel.

Of course there is also the electronic steering wheel.

KMP Drivetrain steering wheel:

07-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #5
OG Shark
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssabripo View Post
would you PM me the details and place you purchased it from?

also, how much thicker is this from the OEM one? from pics it looks substantially thicker, but not sure if it's just picture effect of the alcantra or not.
Noticeably bigger but not too much so. I run full alcantara steering wheels on both my M cars (the KMP one IND mentioned on my track E92 M3) - definitely prefer them on the street & track. The V2 wheel is also a bit thicker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IND-Distribution View Post
The BMW M Performance V1 also would work. Pictured on the left, however it comes with the gloss carbon steering wheel trim.

Also the GTS steering wheel.

Of course there is also the electronic steering wheel.

KMP Drivetrain steering wheel:

C'mon, detachable KMP wheel? Be the envy of all your friends and coworkers when you pull up and take off your steering wheel & hop out of the car? I like your style but you crazy That is an awesome wheel on a DCT track car though, very happy with mine.

That GTS wheel - is it the same size/shape as the DTM/CS wheel? Is the center stripe orange? If so that might look pretty good on a sunset orange car...

Last edited by OG Shark; 07-25-2019 at 06:28 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #6
IND-Distribution
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
Noticeably bigger but not too much so. I run full alcantara steering wheels on both my M cars (the KMP one IND mentioned on my track E92 M3) - definitely prefer them on the street & track. The V2 wheel is also a bit thicker.

C'mon, detachable KMP wheel? Be the envy of all your friends and coworkers when you pull up and take off your steering wheel & hop out of the car? I like your style but you crazy That is an awesome wheel on a DCT track car though, very happy with mine.

That GTS wheel - is it the same size/shape as the DTM/CS wheel? Is the center stripe orange? If so that might look pretty good on a sunset orange wheel...

Yes the GTS wheel has the orange stripe and is similar to the DTM/CS wheel.

We have it in our M2

06-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #7
ssabripo
HALA MADRID!
United_States
Rep

*** REVIVING THIS THREAD ***

SO guys, i've been searching and searching and I cannot find any good options to get a thicker steering wheel (non-alcantara) for my car, without losing the heating function.

seems like there are no real aftermarket options out there, and the only options are to:

a) get a wrap done (DIY) which i'm not sure how good it will be, and if so, which wrap kit to buy that has good nappa leather

b) order a wrap from RoyalSteeringWheels in the UK (~400 UK lbs!!), and not sure what the quality looks like.

any other suggestions?

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
*** REVIVING THIS THREAD ***

SO guys, i've been searching and searching and I cannot find any good options to get a thicker steering wheel (non-alcantara) for my car, without losing the heating function.

seems like there are no real aftermarket options out there, and the only options are to:

a) get a wrap done (DIY) which i'm not sure how good it will be, and if so, which wrap kit to buy that has good nappa leather

b) order a wrap from RoyalSteeringWheels in the UK (~400 UK lbs!!), and not sure what the quality looks like.

any other suggestions?
You are right. Only the stock M Sport steering wheel has the heat function.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I cannot find any good options to get a thicker steering wheel (non-alcantara) for my car, without losing the heating function.
Buy a used stock/heated wheel, and have it professionally rewrapped. I had https://www.drozdupholstery.com redo my wheel for my old RS4 (with matching shift boot and e-brake handle). Quality was better than OEM and price was very reasonable.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 12:13 PM   #10
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Devo View Post
Buy a used stock/heated wheel, and have it professionally rewrapped. I had https://www.drozdupholstery.com redo my wheel for my old RS4 (with matching shift boot and e-brake handle). Quality was better than OEM and price was very reasonable.
Curious about their Dr. Oz prices -- I looked into this with another popular vendor recommended on bimmerpost and the quoted price of having my stock heated wheel wrapped in alcantara with M stitching was more expensive than the M2 CS alcantara wheel, so I went that route.

I still think about sending away my stock wheel because I do love that heated feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
Matt Devo
Recovering RS4 owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkoral View Post
Curious about their Dr. Oz prices -- I looked into this with another popular vendor recommended on bimmerpost and the quoted price of having my stock heated wheel wrapped in alcantara with M stitching was more expensive than the M2 CS alcantara wheel, so I went that route.

I still think about sending away my stock wheel because I do love that heated feature.
Dr Oz prices?

The rewrapping of my wheel with Nappa perforated/air leather, blue stitching included, was under $500, FWIW
Appreciate 1
jkoral1016.00