BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Battery charge not being read accurately

10-16-2023, 06:01 PM   #1
Bertskizpolski
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza, BMW M2

Battery charge not being read accurately

Hi,

I’ve been using Bimmerlink to read my battery’s charge state and according to it and the car, my battery is dying and showing me charges of say 19% or 30%. Today when I started up my car it’s reading 1%, but it’s firing up and driving just fine.

Initially it was saying it’s being drained when the car is off, but I tested the actual battery and its state of charge is just fine at around 70%, and every other aspect of the battery’s health is fine.

The car is misreading the battery and thinks it has a lower charge than it does, treating it as if it’s dying. So I don’t have LED daylights when unlocking, no comfort access, etc. but the car fires up perfectly fine and has no issues afterwards. Alternator also checked and it’s working fine.

The battery was replaced at a BMW dealership around 1k miles ago and Bimmerlink is showing it as being registered around the correct mileage so I’m assuming it was done correctly.

I’ll probably need to make an appointment at my local Indy BMW shop to have it checked, but any input here? Any likely issues or solutions?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2023, 05:00 AM   #2
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Mine reads about 60% and never higher. I reached out to support in 2019 about errors in the battery stats but honestly I think it is just buggy.
      10-22-2023, 08:56 PM   #3
Bertskizpolski
Registered
Rep
Drives: Subaru Impreza, BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
Mine reads about 60% and never higher. I reached out to support in 2019 about errors in the battery stats but honestly I think it is just buggy.
It’s just concerning because if it is buggy and there ends up being a genuine battery drain you couldn’t tell the difference between a true warning message and a false message.

I also changed the IBS sensor hoping that would solve the issue but it hasn’t, so I’m not sure where the issue could be.

If it was resding 60-70% I could live with it, but the fact it’s always saying the car is almost dead at 5-15% EVERY time I get in it is annoying. It also shuts off comfort access, the halo lights on unlock, and interior lights when opening the door sometimes to save power it doesn’t need to save.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 09:08 PM   #4
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Bimmerlink and battery drain are two different issues. Just providing a datapoint that mine never reads higher etc.

If the car is reporting on the dash a discharging error while parked then u have a fault or parasitic current draw somewhere. Same error would appear on dash cluster when owners were putting in dash cams etc.

Obviously remove any aftermarket devices and failing that good luck in finding the issue.