BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Steering wheel button units: blanks versus Ⓜ buttons featuring on several ///M cars

05-12-2020, 11:05 PM   #45
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
On the M1/M2 buttons being configurable, the other half is getting the menu in the head unit in place.

HU > 3000 HMI > M_MENUE, MDRIVE, and M_DRIVE_SYSTEMS were all set to aktiv, and sure enough I have a menu.

That said, the purpose of the menu isn't clear to me? What exactly am I setting? Should I set MDRIVE_CONFIG from 1_menu to 2_menu (does this do the M1 and M2 menus)?

Again, if someone with an M2C or M3/4 could confirm some of these settings, it would be helpful.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 03:25 PM   #46
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36-E82-F87-7P

Quote:
Originally Posted by asciimike View Post
On the M1/M2 buttons being configurable, the other half is getting the menu in the head unit in place.

HU > 3000 HMI > M_MENUE, MDRIVE, and M_DRIVE_SYSTEMS were all set to aktiv, and sure enough I have a menu.

That said, the purpose of the menu isn't clear to me? What exactly am I setting? Should I set MDRIVE_CONFIG from 1_menu to 2_menu (does this do the M1 and M2 menus)?

Again, if someone with an M2C or M3/4 could confirm some of these settings, it would be helpful.
If somehow this feature became enabled on an M2 and we're able to add the M1/M2 buttons with proper functionality, I would love my OG M2 that much more.

That was the one thing that I have been frustrated with the OG M2, customizing those 3 settings to be independent vs. tied to ECO, SPORT, SPORT+ . To adjust the steering and engine (throttle) independently though, you'd likely need to add the two buttons in the center console as well and wire those in. I guess that would replace the ECO > SPORT toggle.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2020, 05:31 PM   #47
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post

I've been able to find the correct pins for both blank buttons, one is pin 1 and 6, the other pin 3,4 (see attachment). Now it's a matter splicing the 4 wires and finding a way to route them through the steering wheel separately. I don't think there is a way to route the wires other than going through the clock spring (that's the thing that allows you to turn the wheel without severing the wires). There are two connectors on the steering wheel that go through the spring. One is for the LIN stuff and has one empty pin on it and the other is for the airbag, which has 4 empty pins. If you have a heated steering wheel/or lane assist, you have an additional connector AFAIK. I don't so I don't know if there are any empty pins there...
Taking a look at the wiring diagram (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...umn/1VnYdeZYlS), it looks like there's a common ground and power (BWM_BFI, maybe they're using a PWM signal to control the LED brightness as well as for the switches) and then six switch outputs.

FWIW, the wiring diagram for this part of the wheel looks the same across the M2, M2C, and M3. Unfortunately, The LED backlighting is mentioned here: https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f87-m2-cou/Ako2Yl7F, though it seems to be shared across all buttons, so I assume it won't be a problem if the LEDs aren't populated on our particular switches (they're probably all wired in parallel anyways).

I think the other value we'll probably need is "LIN_VARIANTE_SZL" from an M2C/M3/M4, since I believe that controls what the buttons do (e.g. lane assist, etc.). Default value for an OG M2 is `szl_aic`, with other options including `4Band`, `fla`, and `HW` (and basically all variations of those four things). My ability to parse German acronyms is terrible, though I assume they correspond to "no buttons", "increase/decrease distance with cruise control", "M1/M2", and ???
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #48
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, MDRIVE_CONFIG theory confirmed, switching it to 2_menu gives you M1 and M2 options.

However, changing M1 also changes M2, and vice-versa, so it's clearly not functioning properly. Unclear if switching the steering wheel will do it or if there is yet another setting somewhere else that I need to flip.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:38 AM   #49
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I think the other value we'll probably need is "LIN_VARIANTE_SZL" from an M2C/M3/M4, since I believe that controls what the buttons do (e.g. lane assist, etc.). Default value for an OG M2 is `szl_aic`, with other options including `4Band`, `fla`, and `HW` (and basically all variations of those four things). My ability to parse German acronyms is terrible, though I assume they correspond to "no buttons", "increase/decrease distance with cruise control", "M1/M2", and ???
Fairly certain we don't need "LIN_VARIANTE_SZL" actually. Via a Japanese forum (https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid...blog/43580877/), they seem to have found the values for the SZL:

- szl: Column switch with steering angle sensor
- fla: High beam assist (switch)
- aic: Rain sensor intermittent switch (auto interval control)
- 4Band: Steering wheel heater
- HW: Rear wiper switch

Unsurprisingly, it turns out they make a lot more sense when you translate to German:

- szl: Säulenschalter mit Lenkwinkelsensor
- fla: FernLichtAssistent
- aic: Intermittierender Schalter des Regensensors (automatische Intervallsteuerung?)
- 4Band: Lenkradheizung
- HW: HeckscheibenWischerschalter

I assume szl and aic aren't translated perfectly or I don't have the English quite correct, but it looks directionally accurate... Not a clue why 4Band is the heater though since everywhere else it's lhz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 03:09 PM   #50
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, I coded "LIN_VARIANTE_MFL" to "DCC_M_Drive" (turns out SLD is the Speed Limiting Device, which US model cars don't have enabled, so we shouldn't use "SLD_DCC_M_Drive").

My working theory is that OG M2's have the FDS (Fahrdynamic-Schalter == Vehicle Dynamics Switch), while I don't believe that M2Cs have this (they have the engine and chassis buttons on the center console where we have our drive mode switch: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_3302).

Curious if we'll have to disable the FDS in order to get M Drive modes (not the end of the world, since we'll have more customizability), but it will make the switch in the center console useless. It looks like the wiring diagrams for the OG M2 (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...witch/FpgYr0rw) and M2C/M3/M4 are different (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tch/1VnXkCYWEL), with T_SPORT being the switch on the OG M2 and T_VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control?) on the M2C/M3/M4.

It looks like this all goes into the ICM, but looking at the CAFD files for the ICM I can't find anything obviously enabling this switch? I see "IcmKod_B_Sportindividualisierbar" which is set to "ein" ("on"), and that's the closest I can get. I don't see anything corresponding to a VDC switch though. Unsure if we need to flash the ICM to have a newer PsZData? Though there are M3/4's that have these settings in the same generation as the M2, so I'm not sure?

I'm curious if there's a VO coding option for this, vs having to FDL everything across four ECUs (HU, KOMBI, ICM, FEM_BODY)... S2MDA "M Drive" maybe? I assume that we have S4UFA "Sport Button" (though inspection seems to indicate this is a Mini part). Potentially S224A "Driving dynamics control" or P237A "Driving dynamics package"? Though I just checked and I don't think we have any of these...
Appreciate 2
      05-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #51
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
My working theory is that OG M2's have the FDS (Fahrdynamic-Schalter == Vehicle Dynamics Switch), while I don't believe that M2Cs have this (they have the engine and chassis buttons on the center console where we have our drive mode switch: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_3302).

Curious if we'll have to disable the FDS in order to get M Drive modes (not the end of the world, since we'll have more customizability), but it will make the switch in the center console useless. It looks like the wiring diagrams for the OG M2 (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...witch/FpgYr0rw) and M2C/M3/M4 are different (https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...tch/1VnXkCYWEL), with T_SPORT being the switch on the OG M2 and T_VDC (Vehicle Dynamic Control?) on the M2C/M3/M4.
Man you've been busy! I think you'd need to sit an M2C and OG M2 side by side and run through the options. I would think FDS is still enabled on the M2C when certain parameters are engage?

I also agree that the ECO > SPORT > SPORT + center console button would become useless and would have to be replaced by an M2C unit.

I cannot understand anything in those diagrams, but I wonder if a simple harness swap would be the fix? Or pinning and running additional wires?

In searching I saw this on the forum: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1487757

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1442973

Maybe beppeM3+123d can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:05 PM   #52
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoc View Post
Man you've been busy!
Not much else to do

Quote:
I think you'd need to sit an M2C and OG M2 side by side and run through the options. I would think FDS is still enabled on the M2C when certain parameters are engage?
Hoping to do so this week! I assume that MDrive supercedes the "Sport" stuff (since I assume M1 and M2 replace Sport and Sport+ with more customizable versions).

Quote:
I also agree that the ECO > SPORT > SPORT + center console button would become useless and would have to be replaced by an M2C unit.

I cannot understand anything in those diagrams, but I wonder if a simple harness swap would be the fix? Or pinning and running additional wires?

In searching I saw this on the forum: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1487757

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1442973

Maybe beppeM3+123d can chime in.
It's not clear to me that we need to switch the entire KOMBI unit for an LCI or M2C one, but it may be that we simply don't have a place to put M1/M2 modes since we have Eco/Sport/Sport+...

I assume that swapping the switches may "just work" since they appear to share some of the wires (e.g. PDC, ground), while different functions are on different wires. e.g. T_SPORT and T_VDC both share wire 10 on the switch side (which sort of makes sense to me, since they basically do the same thing, though it looks like they go into different places on the ICM).

I am also less concerned about the center console buttons no longer working if the M1/M2 buttons work--the steering wheel feels like a more useful place for those buttons anyways
Appreciate 1
gphung193.50
      05-18-2020, 04:46 PM   #53
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I am also less concerned about the center console buttons no longer working if the M1/M2 buttons work--the steering wheel feels like a more useful place for those buttons anyways
I suspect you need the center console buttons to toggle through the different steering and throttle settings in order to set parameters of the M1 and M2 buttons, no? Edit; After watching the videos, maybe not need, but would want. Maybe you don't want the Car in M1 or M2, but want everything back to ECO, or whatever

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 10:30 PM   #54
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, thanks to flybigjet I got access to an M2C and pulled some settings. Here are a few more that might be useful:
  • ICM > C_FDS_FES_Verbau > MDM (from FDS) // this makes sense (M Drive Mode vs Driving Dynamics Switch)
  • ICM > IcmKod_B_Sportindividualisierbar > aus (from ein) // disable the sport settings
  • ICM > C_Infospeicher_AS_enable > enable (from disable) // no idea what this does
  • HU > FES > FES_FEATURE > aktiv (from nicht_aktiv)
  • HU > FES > FDS_POPUP_DEACTIVATE > nicht_aktiv (from aktiv)
  • HU > FES > MACRO_FDS > nicht_aktiv (from popup_and_config)
  • HU > EfficientDynamics > HIST_FDS_MODE_NAME > nicht_aktiv (aktiv)
  • HU > EfficientDynamics > HIST_FDS_MODE_COLOR > nicht_aktiv (aktiv)

Also MDrive wasn't VO coded AFAICT (admittedly I went a little quick through that part), so I think that's a dead end :/

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to change much of anything (beyond the car yelling at me for being in MDM seemingly permanently, even after I coded it back to FDS). M1 and M2 still have the values empty and didn't seem to set anything properly. Maybe I do need the center console switches after all?

I don't think I pulled the Kombi CAFD right so I don't have any additional insight into it.

Also, Tokenmaster's NCD/CAFD tool doesn't seem to read the CAFD files I pulled from the M2C--I just get an error in the compare tool saying "One or more errors occurred." My M2 files seem to open fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 08:02 AM   #55
M2driverWV
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Ok, thanks to flybigjet I got access to an M2C and pulled some settings. Here are a few more that might be useful:
  • ICM > C_FDS_FES_Verbau > MDM (from FDS) // this makes sense (M Drive Mode vs Driving Dynamics Switch)
  • ICM > IcmKod_B_Sportindividualisierbar > aus (from ein) // disable the sport settings
  • ICM > C_Infospeicher_AS_enable > enable (from disable) // no idea what this does
  • HU > FES > FES_FEATURE > aktiv (from nicht_aktiv)
  • HU > FES > FDS_POPUP_DEACTIVATE > nicht_aktiv (from aktiv)
  • HU > FES > MACRO_FDS > nicht_aktiv (from popup_and_config)
  • HU > EfficientDynamics > HIST_FDS_MODE_NAME > nicht_aktiv (aktiv)
  • HU > EfficientDynamics > HIST_FDS_MODE_COLOR > nicht_aktiv (aktiv)

Also MDrive wasn't VO coded AFAICT (admittedly I went a little quick through that part), so I think that's a dead end :/

Unfortunately, this didn't seem to change much of anything (beyond the car yelling at me for being in MDM seemingly permanently, even after I coded it back to FDS). M1 and M2 still have the values empty and didn't seem to set anything properly. Maybe I do need the center console switches after all?

I don't think I pulled the Kombi CAFD right so I don't have any additional insight into it.

Also, Tokenmaster's NCD/CAFD tool doesn't seem to read the CAFD files I pulled from the M2C--I just get an error in the compare tool saying "One or more errors occurred." My M2 files seem to open fine.
Great work, feels like your getting close on this. The dash cluster on LCI and up went to kombi2 this only is readable on esys launcher 3.4 pro and up. The older 2.8 and such launchers don't have the proper mapping so everything is trimmed.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 01:42 PM   #56
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2driverWV View Post
Great work, feels like your getting close on this. The dash cluster on LCI and up went to kombi2 this only is readable on esys launcher 3.4 pro and up. The older 2.8 and such launchers don't have the proper mapping so everything is trimmed.
Felt a little closer before it didn't work :/

I really need the CAFD compare tool to work, then we'll be golden. I didn't see anything that obviously indicated that we would need to flash the ECUs, but I can't help but think I must be missing something.

KOMBI2 makes sense, but given Tokenmaster being unavailable, unsure I'll be able to get a copy of 3.x. I'm trying to find an earlier M3/4 that might have a KOMBI I could pull from.

Unsure why the files can't be read by the tool at all though, since my version of esys can view and modify them.

Current hypothesis is that I should order some center console buttons and bite the bullet on getting the fancy colored wheel buttons and see if the center console buttons need to be there for anything to work.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #57
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Current hypothesis is that I should order some center console buttons and bite the bullet on getting the fancy colored wheel buttons and see if the center console buttons need to be there for anything to work.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2019-B...0AAOSwEX1eRa-S

BMW OPERATING UNIT CENTRE CONSOLE 61317850477 2' F87 M2 LCI 3' F80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 07:03 PM   #58
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, parts ordered from various places around the world. Might be a few weeks to get updates, but I'll keep futzing around with coding to see if I can discover anything new.

In the mean time, if anyone has an M3/M4 they can check these values on, that would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 2
flybigjet6759.00
PLF693766.00
      05-24-2020, 06:39 PM   #59
maddoc
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ok, parts ordered from various places around the world. Might be a few weeks to get updates, but I'll keep futzing around with coding to see if I can discover anything new.

In the mean time, if anyone has an M3/M4 they can check these values on, that would be much appreciated!
I appreciate this so much and I feel like this development (and previous discussions on it in this thread) probably needs its own thread in Electronics Subforum (https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/fo...play.php?f=655)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 07:01 PM   #60
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Ok, I took a look at the SVT what-if tool from TokenMaster's NCD/CAFD tool for an F80 set to VO "F080 [1495]" on the same build level, and sort of manually diffed the settings. Found some interesting ones, mostly around the M Digital Tacho, which I think is probably the right side gauge settings for steering, etc.? Guess we need M_DRIVE_SYSTEMS after all

HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > M_DIGITAL_TACHO = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > M_DIGITAL_TACHO_EINH = aktiv
HU_NBT_EVO > HMI 3000 > M_DRIVE_SYSTEMS = aktiv

On Kombi, we have to enable the M displays and M digital tach, and set the M_VARIANTE (was close with that, just needed a few more options!).

KOMBI L7_MID > FZG_Ausstattung 3003 > M_VARIANTE = motorsport
KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > ST_MDRV_2_ALIVE = aktiv
KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > ST_MDRV_2_APPL = aktiv
KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > ST_MDRV_2_TIMEOUT = aktiv
KOMBI L7_MID > PIA_Einheiten 3008 > KI_PIA_M_SPORT_DIGI_TACHO = aktiv

EDIT: I don't think I fully understand these settings:

KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > CTR_DISP_M_SYS_ALIVE = aktiv
KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > CTR_DISP_M_SYS_APPL = aktiv
KOMBI L7_MID > ERM_Konfiguration 3004 > CTR_DISP_M_SYS_TIMEOUT = aktiv

Will these muck with the fuel gauge on the speedo?

I also think we need to switch these:

KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_1 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_2 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_3 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_4 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_SIGNAL_5 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_TEXT_1 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_TEXT_2 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_TEXT_3 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_TEXT_4 = menue_3
KOMBI L7_MID > ECO_FDS 300C > FDS_MENUE_TEXT_5 = menue_3

On the OG M2, they're menue_4. Unfortunately I can't read Kombi on the M2C due to not having E-Esys 3.4

The other one that seems interesting to me is:

ICMQL > Daten 3000 > IcmKod_B_EPS = ZFLS

On my OG M2 and on the M2C it's set to "Auto", but I assume that this is the "Steering sensitivity button" in the center console, so I'm confused why it's not set on the M2C but it is set on the M3.

Tried adding the active suspension since it's got some more buttons:

ICMQL > Daten 3000 > IcmKod_B_S223A = verbaut
ICMQL > Daten 3000 > IcmKod_B_S704A = verbaut

Both have to do with the M active suspension, so I assume one of them is the middle button that controls suspension settings. Unsure what the other one is, since I only recall one button changing suspension settings? Potentially one of them is the switch on the actual damper to control where they are?

Where is the throttle response button? 508A is PDC, 2VBA is "tire pressure control". Unsure what FPK is, but it's enabled on the M2C and not on the M2, so maybe (then again, I'm lacking a bunch of options, so maybe it's just the parking camera)?

I assume:

ICMQL > Daten 3000 > IcmKod_B_S7ACA = verbaut

Is the drive mode selector button, since it's enabled on my OG M2 and not on the M2C or M3. 7AC is the VO for "sport line", which would make sense.

I would love to know what FZG, ERM, and PIA, and ZFLS stand for, so maybe I'll ask on the German forum

Last edited by asciimike; 05-24-2020 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #61
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Moved updates to a dedicated thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723947
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #62
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Moved updates to a dedicated thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1723947
Perhaps you can answer this (or anyone else here), when retrofitting the M1/M2 aftermarket buttons onto an OG M2, do they actuate? As in - can you press the buttons up and down?

When I disassembled my steering wheel to install my dry carbon trim, I took the opportunity to take a look at the module in question and popped out the two blank buttons. From my impression, it looks like the housing itself is preventing the buttons from actuating, not the button itself - I could be wrong though! (And I hope I am, I don't really want to purchase a non-blank module for ~$250)

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 11:48 PM   #63
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Perhaps you can answer this (or anyone else here), when retrofitting the M1/M2 aftermarket buttons onto an OG M2, do they actuate? As in - can you press the buttons up and down?

When I disassembled my steering wheel to install my dry carbon trim, I took the opportunity to take a look at the module in question and popped out the two blank buttons. From my impression, it looks like the housing itself is preventing the buttons from actuating, not the button itself - I could be wrong though! (And I hope I am, I don't really want to purchase a non-blank module for ~$250)

Thanks in advance!
Can confirm the buttons "work" in the sense that they move, but do nothing else.
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      08-07-2020, 01:46 AM   #64
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Can confirm the buttons "work" in the sense that they move, but do nothing else.
Sweet, thanks! Just ordered some from China, but it'll take a month or two get here
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #65
asciimike
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
Sweet, thanks! Just ordered some from China, but it'll take a month or two get here
I did the same thing, was about 35 days. The fitment is all right, one is nearly perfect and one is a bit sticky, though could probably be sanded down. Would rather pay $11 than $40+ though, especially since I'm not clicking them that often...
Appreciate 1
eeyang92318.50
      08-31-2020, 01:12 PM   #66
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Hi guys,
sorry to revive an old thread, but at least the coronavirus is good for one thing - giving me time to fiddle with my car. I've made some progress on this idea.

I've disassembled the steering wheel to see how the controls work. The blank buttons have a working circuit underneath them, which is good, the bad news is that there are two LED's missing, which means you'd have to find the correct LED's and solder them on, or the buttons wouldn't light up at night. A minor issue, but still.

The left button cluster (where the blanks are) has analog pins that go to the right cluster, where there is presumably a LIN slave that then sends a digital signal through the steering wheel clock spring, at which point it is useless to us. To get working buttons, you need to intercept the analog signal before it gets to the LIN node in the steering wheel.

I've been able to find the correct pins for both blank buttons, one is pin 1 and 6, the other pin 3,4 (see attachment). Now it's a matter splicing the 4 wires and finding a way to route them through the steering wheel separately. I don't think there is a way to route the wires other than going through the clock spring (that's the thing that allows you to turn the wheel without severing the wires). There are two connectors on the steering wheel that go through the spring. One is for the LIN stuff and has one empty pin on it and the other is for the airbag, which has 4 empty pins. If you have a heated steering wheel/or lane assist, you have an additional connector AFAIK. I don't so I don't know if there are any empty pins there...

I've seen people retrofit a heated steering wheel and wire it through the empty pins on the airbag connector instead of buying a new clock spring. You could do the same thing here, and it would be just 2 buttons instead of a heating element, but I'm still a bit unsure about doing that, since I don't want an airbag exploding in my face Another option would be to buy a new clock spring which has the additional connector for the heated steering wheel function and you could use that, but I'm guessing that would be pricey.

Anyway this is doable and I just need the right pins to fit the connectors and I'll be all set. I will be using the buttons to control my P3 gauge, but they could be used for anything What do you guys think?
I know this is a bit late - but did you record the voltage being outputted by the pins? If not I'll probably need to go measure it with the battery plugged in (always makes me a bit nervous with the airbag there - is it okay to reconnect the battery and turn on the car with the airbag unplugged?)

EDIT: I would assume it's 12V, but dunno if it's down-converted for the switches and such. Although, on further thought - you say that the each switch is related to two pins (1 and 6 for example) - they don't share a common ground? If it's just a simple switch, then that could make my job easier as the voltage will come from my input.

Last edited by eeyang92; 08-31-2020 at 01:43 PM..
Appreciate 0