BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Chris Harris and Andreas Preuninger of Porsche

12-02-2020, 03:54 PM   #1
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT Blk

Chris Harris and Andreas Preuninger of Porsche

Just watched the beauty video of Chris Harris getting a tour of the GT3 museum at Porsche.

It's amazing if you're into that kind of stuff. I can imagine that Chris would do an equally great job if he got a tour of a BMW museum. Definitely something I would watch!

So, BMW...when are you going to give us a light weight M2 with a non-turbo six (like the S54), capable of very high RPM, manual tranny? Truly a drivers car...

That's what I think the M2 CSL should be, not another iteration of a Comp/CS.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Great video
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2020, 11:59 AM   #3
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocpinstead View Post
Just watched the beauty video of Chris Harris getting a tour of the GT3 museum at Porsche.

It's amazing if you're into that kind of stuff. I can imagine that Chris would do an equally great job if he got a tour of a BMW museum. Definitely something I would watch!

So, BMW...when are you going to give us a light weight M2 with a non-turbo six (like the S54), capable of very high RPM, manual tranny? Truly a drivers car...

That's what I think the M2 CSL should be, not another iteration of a Comp/CS.
The days of lightweight BMW's are most likely over. The G87 M2 will be a bigger car and will add weight like the G82 M4.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep

The future

It’s kind of depressing that the brands that we fell in love with have moved on from developing reasonably priced enthusiast cars.

The M2 CS has had great reviews, but it’s $100k in Canada. I would be happy to have an option of an M2 with a non turbo engine (but full of sound and character), sensatec seats, no iDrive, RWD, manual, priced around $60k. Yes, it would be slower, but I wouldn’t care.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2020, 10:25 AM   #5
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Being an M car guy for 20 years I am gradually moving to Porsche.

The way BMW makes their M cars recently doesn’t inspire me at all.

M5C is gone after 12 months of ownership.
M2C is very likely to be changed to either Cayman GTS or Cayman GT4 next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:33 AM   #6
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post

It’s funny you said that. My M2 lease expires next summer and I’ve been finding myself more and more ending up on the Porsche website to find a replacement.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:07 PM   #7
M2Debt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 Alpine White M2

Quote:
It’s kind of depressing that the brands that we fell in love with have moved on from developing reasonably priced enthusiast cars.

The M2 CS has had great reviews, but it’s $100k in Canada. I would be happy to have an option of an M2 with a non turbo engine (but full of sound and character), sensatec seats, no iDrive, RWD, manual, priced around $60k. Yes, it would be slower, but I wouldn’t care.
The M2 is exactly what you're asking for in the modern era, though an NA straight six with competitive performance that meets emissions sounds like a fantasy. Just turn the boost down on the M2 and shut off I-drive 😆. Or, buy a pristine e46 which is exactly what you described.

Also, why would you want Sensatec seats?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #8
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2Debt View Post
The M2 is exactly what you're asking for in the modern era, though an NA straight six with competitive performance that meets emissions sounds like a fantasy. Just turn the boost down on the M2 and shut off I-drive 😆. Or, buy a pristine e46 which is exactly what you described.

Also, why would you want Sensatec seats?
I don't think turning boost down is the answer. The sound and the rev limit of an NA motor is more than the absence of a turbo charger.

As for the I-drive - its going to look really old in 5 years. When I was buying my Z4M I insisted on finding one without Nav. Have you seen what the nav looked like in 2007? The M2 screen will look antiquated in the near future too.

I actually really enjoy my M2 when the DSC is completely off, except for the fact that if I screw up I don't have any traction control to save my bacon. Like a lot of us on this forum, I wish there was a rev-match "off" option in MDM mode. That would help feel more connected to the car.

As for the sensatec seats - I don't want them. But the leather in my LCI M2 is not great. Other M cars have great leather, but the OG M2 doesn't.

And as for an e46 M3 - they cost as much as my residual on my M2. And good luck finding one...
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      12-16-2020, 03:19 PM   #9
CalAcacian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Why is this thread in the pics and build section now?
Appreciate 1
bobert858.50
      12-19-2020, 08:41 AM   #10
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by kart driver View Post

Quote:
It’s funny you said that. My M2 lease expires next summer and I’ve been finding myself more and more ending up on the Porsche website to find a replacement.
As BMW has moved to larger, heavier, and more disconnected cars, so too has Porsche. Spending a sufficient amount of time with the older offerings bears this truth out. Sure a new Porsche may compare favorably to the upcoming crop of BMW M.. they however do not compare favorably to the size, weight, and driver feedback of the previous. Where weight may not give up much, size does, where size does not, driver feedback does. And in some cases all of the above.

Rare cases, or none at all can be argued that performance has not moved forward. Absolute performance in its own right certainly is not the point for everyone, but it sells cars.

I'm satisfied to hang on to my 10 year old Porsche, consider holding on to my few years old BMW, and give regular thought to swapping it out for something a bit more in line with the days gone.. a bit lighter, a bit smaller, a bit more feelsome feedback..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2020, 08:47 AM   #11
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
As BMW has moved to larger, heavier, and more disconnected cars, so too has Porsche. Spending a sufficient amount of time with the older offerings bears this truth out. Sure a new Porsche may compare favorably to the upcoming crop of BMW M.. they however do not compare favorably to the size, weight, and driver feedback of the previous. Where weight may not give up much, size does, where size does not, driver feedback does. And in some cases all of the above.

Rare cases, or none at all can be argued that performance has not moved forward. Absolute performance in its own right certainly is not the point for everyone, but it sells cars.

I'm satisfied to hang on to my 10 year old Porsche, consider holding on to my few years old BMW, and give regular thought to swapping it out for something a bit more in line with the days gone.. a bit lighter, a bit smaller, a bit more feelsome feedback..
Heck, I'd say the same thing comparing a 1995 Civic to a current Civic. If, say, one could FIND a 1995 Civic that doesn't have mismatched body panels and a fart can muffler on it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2020, 09:38 PM   #12
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post

I think a lot of us feel and think the same way. I guess the question is "what company is going to once again offer us a modern E46? The M2 is great and all, but it isn't an E46....

Most likely it isn't even possible with all the government regulation...and that's a shame.
Appreciate 1
Fined243.00