BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Milltek race VS equal length

11-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #1
JoM2C
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 competition

Milltek race VS equal length

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a big difference in noise between the milltek race and the equal length, for an EU car with OPF ? Is the upgrade worth it?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:05 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

the equal length midpipe gives the car a non-turbo sound, if thats the sound you are after, the upgrade is worth it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #3
JoM2C
Rep

Thanks Mike, yes the equal length reduces the rasp, but I’d like to know if it is louder than the race? I'm looking for a little noisier without removing the OPFs
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 11:06 AM   #4
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2C

I’ve got the EL with the race system.
Already had the race system and then had the EL added afterwards, without the centre res. (My car was the one Milltek used to develop the system).

It can be loud in Sport mode, but not intrusively, and in efficient mode it’s like stock but with a lower tone.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 01:38 PM   #5
JoM2C
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flange View Post
I’ve got the EL with the race system.
Already had the race system and then had the EL added afterwards, without the centre res. (My car was the one Milltek used to develop the system).

It can be loud in Sport mode, but not intrusively, and in efficient mode it’s like stock but with a lower tone.
And is it much louder without center res ?
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 02:45 PM   #6
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I believe the EL only comes without a centre res, so I’ve nothing really to compare it with.
When I had just the race system (without EL piping) it didn’t sound much louder than stock in efficient, just a deeper tone.
In Sport mode it was quite a bit louder but not intrusively - the OPFs hold a lot of noise back.
I’ve done loads of motorway trips and there’s absolutely zero resonance in any gear too.

I was unsure about it when it was first fitted, but over the last 4-5k miles it’s really settled in and I’m liking the noise now.

Well worth doing, and it gets rid of the hanging ball sack...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2020, 04:25 PM   #7
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
I believe the EL only comes without a centre res, so I’ve nothing really to compare it with.
When I had just the race system (without EL piping) it didn’t sound much louder than stock in efficient, just a deeper tone.
In Sport mode it was quite a bit louder but not intrusively - the OPFs hold a lot of noise back.
I’ve done loads of motorway trips and there’s absolutely zero resonance in any gear too.

I was unsure about it when it was first fitted, but over the last 4-5k miles it’s really settled in and I’m liking the noise now.

How much louder was it after removing the centre res?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 07:31 AM   #8
Flange
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quite a bit, but not intrusively.
With just the race system which included a centre res, I was quite disappointed with the sound - was ok when you revved it but in normal driving it was only a bit louder than stock albeit a deeper tone.
When I got it back after Milltek had fitted the EL pipes it was a massive difference.
They tried it with the res still fitted but felt there wasn’t much difference, so took it out.
As I’ve said before, this really is a decent non intrusive sounding system, and gets better with more miles.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 09:58 AM   #9
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Quite a bit, but not intrusively.
With just the race system which included a centre res, I was quite disappointed with the sound - was ok when you revved it but in normal driving it was only a bit louder than stock albeit a deeper tone.
When I got it back after Milltek had fitted the EL pipes it was a massive difference.
They tried it with the res still fitted but felt there wasn’t much difference, so took it out.
As I’ve said before, this really is a decent non intrusive sounding system, and gets better with more miles.
Thanks for the feedback I am aiming to get mine fitted next month
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2022, 06:56 AM   #10
Bavaria330
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i LCI AW

Quote:

Thanks for clarifying.
Which would you say has a deeper tone? Race or EL
I plan to use the bypass tubes.
Appreciate 0