BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18 inch winter wheel recommendation

11-01-2020, 03:57 PM   #1
bmw_m2_
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S, M2 LCI

18 inch winter wheel recommendation

Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 LCI. I daily drive the car, even in the rough Canadian winter. The previous owner gave me a square 18 inch wheel and tire set. The wheels are some bmw replicas, but am running Bridgestone blizzard ws80 (225/45/R18 96H). The user manual recommends, 235/40 R 18 95 V M+S XL.

The 18’s with the winter tires have completely transformed the car. It’s has more body roll, not nimble at low and high speed and even when I break, it doesn’t have that solid feel that you get while driving on the staggered 19’s.

I can’t figure out whether it’s the size of the wheels, or tire spec, or since they are replicas (they are heavier) is causing the car to be “less exciting”? My guess is the aspect ratio and the tire width is making it feel that way.

I’m good to go buy a new set of wheels and tires (if necessary), if you guys share some of your experiences, while driving on an 18 inch square winter set that bmw recommends? Would love some valuable feedback, before I go and buy a new set.

Many thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 08:11 PM   #2
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I’m confused as to what you expected. You’re going from a wider, low profile, high performance summer tire to a narrow, wide sidewall, soft rubber compound designed for low temps. Winter tires aren’t performance tires. This is normal.
Appreciate 3
      11-03-2020, 06:49 AM   #3
dgm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 E36/E46 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_m2_ View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 2018 LCI. I daily drive the car, even in the rough Canadian winter. The previous owner gave me a square 18 inch wheel and tire set. The wheels are some bmw replicas, but am running Bridgestone blizzard ws80 (225/45/R18 96H). The user manual recommends, 235/40 R 18 95 V M+S XL.

The 18’s with the winter tires have completely transformed the car. It’s has more body roll, not nimble at low and high speed and even when I break, it doesn’t have that solid feel that you get while driving on the staggered 19’s.

I can’t figure out whether it’s the size of the wheels, or tire spec, or since they are replicas (they are heavier) is causing the car to be “less exciting”? My guess is the aspect ratio and the tire width is making it feel that way.

I’m good to go buy a new set of wheels and tires (if necessary), if you guys share some of your experiences, while driving on an 18 inch square winter set that bmw recommends? Would love some valuable feedback, before I go and buy a new set.

Many thanks.
I am running the 18 inch BMW winter wheels (with 235/40R18 Michelin Alpin A4) on my M2C. It has also a significant impact on the handling characteristics of the car but I fully expected that. If you want to minimize the impact on handling of the winter wheel set up stay on the 19 inch wheel with same tire size than the summer ... but then winter capability will be seriously reduced. I would not do this in a rough Canadian winter
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #4
Dasnub
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
I am running the 18 inch BMW winter wheels (with 235/40R18 Michelin Alpin A4) on my M2C. It has also a significant impact on the handling characteristics of the car but I fully expected that. If you want to minimize the impact on handling of the winter wheel set up stay on the 19 inch wheel with same tire size than the summer ... but then winter capability will be seriously reduced. I would not do this in a rough Canadian winter
Agreed. Alpins are not going to be a great option in places that could have significant snow on the road. They are much more designed for light snow and cold temps. I’m in Michigan and went with Michelin X-Ice... very very happy but I was in no way expecting any kind of performance or agility out of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 10:15 PM   #5
bmw_m2_
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper S, M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgm3 View Post
Thanks for validating. I just wanted to make sure, if it was normal with the 18’s.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
DarthFader
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2, 135i, F23 M240i

I would switch the size to 235/40 and that should tighten up the handling a bit.
Also, the Blizzaks are pretty squishy. Michelin X-Ice have better road manners but can still handle deeper snow and ice.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 09:30 AM   #7
Ocpinstead
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 6MT Blk

I have found a big difference between "winter" tires and "snow" tires.

Your WS80s are for driving in deeper snow (for an M2). If you want to have more performance you may want to try an Alpin or Sottozero.
Appreciate 0