BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Confused about what oil to use

10-22-2020, 07:07 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
on bimmerworld.com there are two oils listed as "OEM 5W40 engine oil meets LL-01 standards"

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Pentosin...ne-Oil-5L.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Pentosin...e-Oil-20L.html

what's your opinion on them?
Pentosin is the OEM for bmw's manual transmission oil MTF LT-5 and dctf, and they do make some very good gear oils that porsche use for their PDK boxes and GTR guys even go out of their way to get bmw dct fluid.

The next thing to point out is that since bmw shut down newtis it is hard to find updated LL01 approved oils, I can look at them through ISTA but i'm not at home right now to access my laptop and my ISTA version is a couple of years behind the newest version so it might not have the most up to data info.

In terms of their engine oils I am not too familiar with them, but from the reading that I did do on pentosin in the past was that their oils were pretty unspectacular for an oem approved oil. If I were you I would get pennzoil as it is even cheaper than pentosin and imo the newer formulation makes it vastly superior. An equivalent (spec wise but no real use data has been shown yet) if not better oil to pennzoil would be motul xcess 5w40 gen 2 (has to be the gen 2 as gen 1 was crap imo). The only issue with the motul is that it is alot more expensive and more difficult to find - unless you live in Canada where lordco stocks a bunch of motul oils. So imo out of all the real LL01 oils (AMS oil does not count as none of their oils are actually LL01) I think the top ones are pennzoil platnium euro 5w40 and motul xcess 5w40 gen 2 for the time being until more testing data comes out for motul or newer oils are made. If you do not care about LL01 then redline makes some really good 5w40 oils that have crazy high HTHS ratings, and of course motul has their ester core oils but honestly these are way over kill unless your car is heavily modified and you are doing some crazy endurance racing.
123Britt287.00
      10-23-2020, 07:59 AM   #24
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
on bimmerworld.com there are two oils listed as "OEM 5W40 engine oil meets LL-01 standards"

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Pentosin...ne-Oil-5L.html

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Pentosin...e-Oil-20L.html

what's your opinion on them?
Bimmerworld's website might be outdated or they just copy and pasted from that manufacturer because the current supplier of the BMW brand oil is Pennzoil which is parented by Shell
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 08:26 AM   #25
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Pentosin is the OEM for bmw's manual transmission oil MTF LT-5 and dctf, and they do make some very good gear oils that porsche use for their PDK boxes and GTR guys even go out of their way to get bmw dct fluid.

The next thing to point out is that since bmw shut down newtis it is hard to find updated LL01 approved oils, I can look at them through ISTA but i'm not at home right now to access my laptop and my ISTA version is a couple of years behind the newest version so it might not have the most up to data info.

In terms of their engine oils I am not too familiar with them, but from the reading that I did do on pentosin in the past was that their oils were pretty unspectacular for an oem approved oil. If I were you I would get pennzoil as it is even cheaper than pentosin and imo the newer formulation makes it vastly superior. An equivalent (spec wise but no real use data has been shown yet) if not better oil to pennzoil would be motul xcess 5w40 gen 2 (has to be the gen 2 as gen 1 was crap imo). The only issue with the motul is that it is alot more expensive and more difficult to find - unless you live in Canada where lordco stocks a bunch of motul oils. So imo out of all the real LL01 oils (AMS oil does not count as none of their oils are actually LL01) I think the top ones are pennzoil platnium euro 5w40 and motul xcess 5w40 gen 2 for the time being until more testing data comes out for motul or newer oils are made. If you do not care about LL01 then redline makes some really good 5w40 oils that have crazy high HTHS ratings, and of course motul has their ester core oils but honestly these are way over kill unless your car is heavily modified and you are doing some crazy endurance racing.
Here you go. See attached for the TIS list
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 4.0 BMW Longlife-01.pdf (87.5 KB, 722 views)
File Type: pdf 5.0 BMW Longlife-01 FE.pdf (109.6 KB, 320 views)
Appreciate 2
F87source7177.50
      10-23-2020, 08:28 AM   #26
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I'm personally running LiquiMoly Special Tec LL 5w30 in between the 10k mile dealer oil change intervals while under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Bimmerworld's website might be outdated or they just copy and pasted from that manufacturer because the current supplier of the BMW brand oil is Pennzoil which is parented by Shell
Yes it could be out dated but pentosin does make some approved oils, the only reason to go Pennzoil because it's newer and has better overall specs due to the new formulation technology.
      10-23-2020, 02:01 PM   #28
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Here you go. See attached for the TIS list
11/10 you're the MVP.
      10-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #29
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm personally running LiquiMoly Special Tec LL 5w30 in between the 10k mile dealer oil change intervals while under warranty.
Ehhhh not my favorite type of oil because liquimoly imo(and the opinions of a large majority of bitog users) is just an over priced mediocre at best oil best know just for their name.

Also personally I don't like mixing different oil weights, if the dealer is giving you 0w30 change with a 0w30. I also would recommend to flush the oil system when changing weights. For example this summer I wi be switching to a 5w40 so I'll do two oil changes with 5w40, with the first being the flush.
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-23-2020, 02:26 PM   #30
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ehhhh not my favorite type of oil because liquimoly imo(and the opinions of a large majority of bitog users) is just an over priced mediocre at best oil best know just for their name.

Also personally I don't like mixing different oil weights, if the dealer is giving you 0w30 change with a 0w30. I also would recommend to flush the oil system when changing weights. For example this summer I wi be switching to a 5w40 so I'll do two oil changes with 5w40, with the first being the flush.
It's not my favorite either but I get a good deal on an oil change from local indie bmw shop and they swear by it since it's what they use on their shop race cars.

Honestly for me though since I only daily drive the M2 and never track it's more than sufficient for my needs and the socal weather
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 03:54 PM   #31
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
It's not my favorite either but I get a good deal on an oil change from local indie bmw shop and they swear by it since it's what they use on their shop race cars.

Honestly for me though since I only daily drive the M2 and never track it's more than sufficient for my needs and the socal weather
Well if you are getting it for a good deal then it won't be too bad it'll just be mediocre oil at a decent price.

See that's the issue with liquimoly, they sponsor alot of shops and race cars to get a large reputation out there, so that is why alot of shops recommend their oil even though it's nothing special and in reality over priced imo. So that's why you should never buy products by name power alone, I like looking at specs and test results, data never lies.

But true if you never track and only daily it, then it would be fine, it's just that there are cheaper oils that do better.
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      10-23-2020, 05:14 PM   #32
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well if you are getting it for a good deal then it won't be too bad it'll just be mediocre oil at a decent price.

See that's the issue with liquimoly, they sponsor alot of shops and race cars to get a large reputation out there, so that is why alot of shops recommend their oil even though it's nothing special and in reality over priced imo. So that's why you should never buy products by name power alone, I like looking at specs and test results, data never lies.

But true if you never track and only daily it, then it would be fine, it's just that there are cheaper oils that do better.
Did not know liquimoly does that! My shop charges like $90 for a complete oil change with filter so I keep coming back. If I can scrounge up the willpower to do my own oil changes I would be using pennzoil euro since that's one of the best i've seen and economical. Another that caught my eye is the newly released LL01FE oil from Motul but I can't find any technical specs on it:
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...ll-01-fe-5w-30

Do you know anything about it?

Amazon has a complete oil change kit with Mann filter from them for $60 and it's tempting
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 06:17 PM   #33
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Did not know liquimoly does that! My shop charges like $90 for a complete oil change with filter so I keep coming back. If I can scrounge up the willpower to do my own oil changes I would be using pennzoil euro since that's one of the best i've seen and economical. Another that caught my eye is the newly released LL01FE oil from Motul but I can't find any technical specs on it:
https://www.motul.com/us/en-US/produ...ll-01-fe-5w-30

Do you know anything about it?

Amazon has a complete oil change kit with Mann filter from them for $60 and it's tempting
Yeah they market heavily as a boutique oil and that attracts alot of people as they think it's the best oil out there from all the marketing, but in reality it is nothing special.

$90 for an oil change is quite good and I see why you don't want to do it yourself, but for me I don't like people touching my car so I always do it myself.

I hate LL01 FE oils because they emphasis fuel efficiency over maximum protection, this generally means thinner oils or lower shear protection oils to get less friction and more fuel economy. I looked over the motul specific stuff (not a fan of this range) and as I suspected HTHS is 3.4, which is not too terrible but it isn't as high as I would like (3.6 + range). Overall I tend to go for oils that are LL01 minus the FE rating.
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      01-24-2021, 01:21 PM   #34
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Yeah they market heavily as a boutique oil and that attracts alot of people as they think it's the best oil out there from all the marketing, but in reality it is nothing special.

$90 for an oil change is quite good and I see why you don't want to do it yourself, but for me I don't like people touching my car so I always do it myself.

I hate LL01 FE oils because they emphasis fuel efficiency over maximum protection, this generally means thinner oils or lower shear protection oils to get less friction and more fuel economy. I looked over the motul specific stuff (not a fan of this range) and as I suspected HTHS is 3.4, which is not too terrible but it isn't as high as I would like (3.6 + range). Overall I tend to go for oils that are LL01 minus the FE rating.
sorry if been asked before, but what is the HTHS rating of the BMW FE 0w-30? (comparing with the Motul)
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 01:52 PM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
sorry if been asked before, but what is the HTHS rating of the BMW FE 0w-30? (comparing with the Motul)
I have seen people say the bmw to LLO1FE have an hths of 3.3-3.5, motuls LL01FE is 3.4.

Personally I don't like LL01FE because that's for fuel efficiency and as a result hths suffers as they want a thin oil. I personally like LL01.

So pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 and motul excess gen 2 5w40 are both at 3.8, well pennzoil is at 3.88.
      01-24-2021, 06:46 PM   #36
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I'm a little confused. BMW oil is Shell Helix synthetic.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-...tra-5w-30.html
      01-24-2021, 07:04 PM   #37
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I'm a little confused. BMW oil is Shell Helix synthetic.

https://www.shell.com/motorist/oils-...tra-5w-30.html
this is just a guess, but the perhaps the helix is the same as the old TPT 5w-30

I don't think Shell makes their own branded 0w-30 LL01-FE, the only other approved LL01-FE i've found is the Motul...which i may switch to after my dealership oil changes end since it has a higher HTHS and is pretty cheap compared to the OEM stuff.

Last edited by sharpmoney; 01-24-2021 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 07:40 PM   #38
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Pennzoil is my personal preference, I believe NOACK is even lower than motul and hths is 0.08 higher with the current formulation.
      01-24-2021, 08:19 PM   #39
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpmoney View Post
this is just a guess, but the perhaps the helix is the same as the old TPT 5w-30

I don't think Shell makes their own branded 0w-30 LL01-FE, the only other approved LL01-FE i've found is the Motul...which i may switch to after my dealership oil changes end since it has a higher HTHS and is pretty cheap compared to the OEM stuff.
There was an old thread where it was announced that BMW switched from Castroil to Shell oil.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=Shell+oil
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #40
sharpmoney
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
There was an old thread where it was announced that BMW switched from Castroil to Shell oil.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...ight=Shell+oil
let's see what their offerings are when they switch back to castrol, hopefully they will offer the 0w-40.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #41
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:

I use Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 at 5k miles in between the BMW freebee. I change my oil when the engine is hot and let it drain for at least 30 minutes. I'm not criticising your flushing technique but is there really enough oil left behind after draining to cause a compatibility problem?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:00 PM   #42
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I use Pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 at 5k miles in between the BMW freebee. I change my oil when the engine is hot and let it drain for at least 30 minutes. I'm not criticising your flushing technique but is there really enough oil left behind after draining to cause a compatibility problem?
If newtis was still online I could check and give you exact numbers of dry fill - oil change to see how much oil is left over, but I believe it's well over 1L-2L of oil stuck inside the engine block and oil cooler loop. So I just like to flush that out, but if you ask me it's more ocd than anything.

I personally would also not use a different oil weight between bmw oil changes, because if your engine blows and they do an oil analysis and see a different weight oil it could be a problem.
      01-28-2021, 02:52 PM   #43
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

No love for miller's nano drive and it's claimed friction reducing additives? Had it in my previous car did seem to let the engine run well but could be placebo.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 03:15 PM   #44
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
No love for miller's nano drive and it's claimed friction reducing additives? Had it in my previous car did seem to let the engine run well but could be placebo.
I've never heard much about this oil, but you could likely read up on it on BOITG.

But here is what I look for in an oil:

1) LL01 certification, I don't care much for the LL01 FE as the fuel economy means less viscosity to increase fuel economy and thus HTHS suffers.

2) High HTHS

3) Used oil analysis seeing how well it holds up.