05-11-2020, 11:41 AM   #23
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdkcrf250r View Post
That Porsche driver is terrible.
Not as good as the M2 driver but hauling ass and passing traffic right and left on the ring is no easy feat. It's a pretty complicated track. I'm an experienced instructor level track driver and did a few laps on the ring, it's overwhelming, those guys were not going slow.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 05-11-2020 at 11:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
///AVM2528.00
      05-11-2020, 05:09 PM   #24
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
True. But a GT3 has walked away from my M2 many times on a straight. So all the more reasons I find this strange. I have gotten them in braking and with a better line on corner exit, but never on the straights.
I've never been to the ring, but my understanding is that for 500 + hp cars there aren't a ton of true straightaways, other than the main straight. There are some pretty straight bits where cars reach really high speeds, but the track is narrow, bumpy, filled with traffic and not big on runoff room. It wouldn't surprise me if one or both of the drivers were not truly foot to the floor flat out on some of the high speed sections.

Even setting that aside, its good to remember that the lead car is almost always going to pull away immediately after exiting a corner, even if that car is slower in a straight line, simply because its further into the straightaway than the car behind it and has thus been accelerating for a longer period of time.

That effect will be magnified if the lead car has higher cornering speeds and thus higher exit speeds.

I think it would take multiple laps on a track with a nice wide straightaway to tell definitively which car was faster in a straight line.
Appreciate 0