BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke F87 BMW M2C Valved Rear Axle-back Exhaust **NEW PRODUCT**

11-27-2023, 01:48 PM   #243
Apexeater
Private
Rep
Drives: 21 BMW M2 Competition 6 speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSH_ View Post
Curious why you both ended up adding the resonators? I'm trying to decide on non-res vs res AA EL to use with stock DP and stock exhaust and having a tough time deciding which version is going to be best.
I wanted a more "mature" sound and it did quiet it down some. It did help also with a slight rasp I had. It allowed me to burn burbles back on (via bimmerlink) and I enjoy that type of sound when its not overpowering.
Appreciate 1
MSH_107.00
      11-28-2023, 09:45 AM   #244
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silos View Post
Thank you --there is hope! I've been battling my AA system for some time now; for whatever reason I cannot get the passenger side to stop hitting the rear subframe - mine only seems to do it when the car is fully warmed -- it is both frustrating and infuriating as I cannot figure out how to compensate for heat expansion when adjusting despite numerous attempts. My next attempt will be either stiffer exhaust hangers or just having an exhaust shop take a stab at it.
It's not all butterflies and rainbows for me. Even with welded connections, the passenger side still hits the rear subframe from time to time. I'm convinced it's simply an inherent design flaw with the connector pipes. From what I can tell, the only way to properly fix is to have a shop create entirely new connecting pipes with custom bends for proper clearance.

AA really needs to go back to the drawing board with the design. Some theorize that they just reused the same pipes as the M3/M4, which helps explain the clearance issues. But who knows.

Regardless, the exhaust has been enough of an annoyance that I certainly wouldn't buy the axleback again, if I could reverse time. I'd be giving my money to a different brand. Especially because AA was absolutely useless when XPH supposedly reached out to them for a warranty claim.
Silos555.50
      11-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #245
BMW DIY Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
2024 BMW M2  [9.80]
2017 BMW X1  [10.00]
2001 BMW X5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadVibes View Post
It's not all butterflies and rainbows for me. Even with welded connections, the passenger side still hits the rear subframe from time to time. I'm convinced it's simply an inherent design flaw with the connector pipes. From what I can tell, the only way to properly fix is to have a shop create entirely new connecting pipes with custom bends for proper clearance.

AA really needs to go back to the drawing board with the design. Some theorize that they just reused the same pipes as the M3/M4, which helps explain the clearance issues. But who knows.

Regardless, the exhaust has been enough of an annoyance that I certainly wouldn't buy the axleback again, if I could reverse time. I'd be giving my money to a different brand. Especially because AA was absolutely useless when XPH supposedly reached out to them for a warranty claim.
So I ran full Active from DPs to axle back and never had any issues like folks report here on my F87. I didnt have to have anything welded, and the only thing I DID do was cut down a bolt head. I had one of the bolt for the head shield be slightly too long for clearance, so I cut off probably 1/4th of an inch and problem solved.

Now all that said, dont take that as me denying yalls concerns or that your experiences aren't real and sorry to hear it.

For the warranty issue, I would call Active directly as I have spoken with them a ton and even met all the key folks at Bimmer Invasion Orlando. They are great folks and I struggle to imagine they wouldn't do everything in their power to support you. Just my two cents.
'Lillith' F87 M2 Competition Build Thread
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 11:25 AM   #246
DadVibes
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW DIY Guy View Post
So I ran full Active from DPs to axle back and never had any issues like folks report here on my F87. I didnt have to have anything welded, and the only thing I DID do was cut down a bolt head. I had one of the bolt for the head shield be slightly too long for clearance, so I cut off probably 1/4th of an inch and problem solved.

Now all that said, dont take that as me denying yalls concerns or that your experiences aren't real and sorry to hear it.

For the warranty issue, I would call Active directly as I have spoken with them a ton and even met all the key folks at Bimmer Invasion Orlando. They are great folks and I struggle to imagine they wouldn't do everything in their power to support you. Just my two cents.
Judging from all the PM's I've received from others experiencing the same issues, I'd say your experience is more of an outlier. Granted, I have no idea how many total units they've shipped to give a proper metric. But enough people have had issues with the AA axleback connecting pipes, including myself, that I'm personally convinced it's a design flaw. But take with that, what you will.

And, while I'm sure they are perfectly friendly in person, if they wanted to provide support to help find a way to alleviate my issues, they would have. (exchange for proper fitting parts, partial refund, full return... anything)

As I imagine you have, I've installed plenty of exhausts on various cars over the years. The fitment issues and overall experience I've had with this one tops the list as being the absolute worst.

Which is quite odd because the EL midpipe fits and performs flawlessly. I do love that piece and would recommend it to others.

Last edited by DadVibes; 11-28-2023 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 2
Silos555.50
MSH_107.00
      11-30-2023, 04:56 AM   #247
FMOS Racing
Boost All the Things
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition MT

How wild. I have the full AA catback w/EL midpipe. The only issue I've had is on the DRIVER'S side. The non-resonated version fit fine, but when I changed to the resonated, I had to dimple the driver's side where the midpipe passes right next to the differential support frame. The axle-back portion has been fine with both.

Last edited by FMOS Racing; 11-30-2023 at 05:03 AM..
Appreciate 0