BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Steering wheel button units: blanks versus Ⓜ buttons featuring on several ///M cars

08-31-2020, 01:44 PM   #67
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyang92 View Post
I know this is a bit late - but did you record the voltage being outputted by the pins? If not I'll probably need to go measure it with the battery plugged in (always makes me a bit nervous with the airbag there - is it okay to reconnect the battery and turn on the car with the airbag unplugged?)

EDIT: I would assume it's 12V, but dunno if it's down-converted for the switches and such.
Sorry, I didn’t! I never got that switch from ebay and with normal life resuming after the pandemic, I didn’t have time to continue the project yet.

Edit:
What are you thinking about doing? If I remember correctly you should he able to tap the switches no problem and you could use any ground IMO. Would be better if someone could figure out how to code the modules correctly and get a LIN signal, since it is already prewired, but that would require extensive knowledge of these systems.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2020, 01:55 PM   #68
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Sorry, I didn’t! I never got that switch from ebay and with normal life resuming after the pandemic, I didn’t have time to continue the project yet.

Edit:
What are you thinking about doing? If I remember correctly you should he able to tap the switches no problem and you could use any ground IMO. Would be better if someone could figure out how to code the modules correctly and get a LIN signal, since it is already prewired, but that would require extensive knowledge of these systems.
I'm thinking about intercepting the switch signal to control my remote control for my valve controller. Basically, I'm planning on dissembling my remote and just place it inside my steering wheel (there seems to be ample room). I would wire one button to the "open" button and the other to the "close" button.

Not the most exciting use, but it would be super sweet to have an integrated valve control IMO!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2020, 05:49 PM   #69
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Small update:

After taking apart my steering wheel and inspecting the PCB, I came to realize that there are 9 buttons (or so) but only 8 pins on the PCB. This implies some sort of multiplexing - if I had to guess, half the pins are routinely sent a signal and the control board watches for a short circuit on the other pins (which is achieved when one of the buttons is depressed). 4 pins allows 4x4=16 combinations so this seems to match to my theory - however, I did not measure the voltage with the car battery connected because I didn't want to break anything.

Anyways, all this means is that I cannot wire the M1/M2 buttons directly to my remote (which contains it's own battery) as I would effectively be putting these two circuits in parallel, and be constantly sending current into the control module, which is definitely not good and will cause unexpected behavior from the entire cluster.

However, I do have an alternative solution that I will share if it works - parts I need will take a while to arrive, but I'll update here when that happens.

Last edited by eeyang92; 09-22-2020 at 04:46 AM..
Appreciate 3
DrKevM52262.00
M2OG399.00
dtmurf477.00
      09-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #70
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Another update: I decided to try an alternate solution, by placing momentary switches over the existing contacts, and it works!

That being said, I know this isn't a sleek as using the existing circuitry, but I'm definitely not brave enough to mess with the pins controlling my cruise control, so this works nicely for me

I detailed the steps I took here on my site: https://swiftstate.com/2020/09/24/di...st-controller/
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2020, 06:30 PM   #71
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Another update: I decided to try an alternate solution, by placing momentary switches over the existing contacts, and it works!

That being said, I know this isn't a sleek as using the existing circuitry, but I'm definitely not brave enough to mess with the pins controlling my cruise control, so this works nicely for me

I detailed the steps I took here on my site: https://swiftstate.com/2020/09/24/di...st-controller/
How did I miss this? That's awesome!

I have been wanting to do this for my MPE. It uses a stupid double click which would be nice to bypass. I would like to have the indicator light as well but it would be hard to do the brightness correctly so it would be visible in daylight and not blind me at night.

I'm working on sourcing out a spare remote so I can start hacking it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 02:16 AM   #72
eeyang92
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Quote:

I have been wanting to do this for my MPE. It uses a stupid double click which would be nice to bypass. I would like to have the indicator light as well but it would be hard to do the brightness correctly so it would be visible in daylight and not blind me at night.

Thanks!

Definitely interested to see what comes of the MPE remote!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 11:37 PM   #73
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post

If you'd like to buy mine off me let me know!
Appreciate 0