BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Who has driven on the Nurburgring?

02-23-2019, 06:43 AM   #1
koryrykman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 355i M-Sport

Who has driven on the Nurburgring?

Has anyone raged at the ring here before?

I'm going to Germany in August for work and would like to take a day trip to the nurburgring to get behind the wheel of something fast and spend all day lapping it. Total bucket list.

Has anyone else done that here? And do you have any suggestions on who to rent from and just how to go about setting the whole thing up?
      02-23-2019, 06:59 AM   #2
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Apex Ring Taxi does rentals. Seems like a good outfit.

Check out Misha Charoudin youtube.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 08:39 AM   #3
Tommy L Garage
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP

I was there this summer. RSR is the way to go for rentals. Feel free to email me at got6speed@gmail I’d be happy to tell you about it
I also made the below video

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 10:36 AM   #4
TrackandTuner.com
Private
Rep
Drives: Yas Marina

I am a regular at the Nurburgring.

Don't use RSR, there are better options like APEX and EVN rentals. Both I rented from and both all new cars.
Take in mind you are NOT insured. Being Liable for the car even if you rent it. You can purchase an additional insurance to cur your liability in half.

Take it easy, enjoy the cars and the atmosphere and never ever think you can handle the Nordschleife
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Apex is good. Consider something without a 250kmh governor if you'll have time on the Autobahn. Most cars are governed to 250, so for the brief times you can really open it up, it's fun to have a Boxster, 911 or similar to pass the riff raff.

Where are you staying? If you can get up for a weekday instead of a weekend, you'll have less of a crowd. Check the calendar for closed days too.

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing

Alternatively, you can get a Miata for $32/day from Sixt at the FRA airport. An M2 is $85 and an M4 is $111. Both the AMG GT S and an M850i are $222/day.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 12:42 PM   #6
koryrykman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 355i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Apex is good. Consider something without a 250kmh governor if you'll have time on the Autobahn. Most cars are governed to 250, so for the brief times you can really open it up, it's fun to have a Boxster, 911 or similar to pass the riff raff.

Where are you staying? If you can get up for a weekday instead of a weekend, you'll have less of a crowd. Check the calendar for closed days too.

https://www.greenhelldriving.nuerburgring.de/#/landing

Alternatively, you can get a Miata for $32/day from Sixt at the FRA airport. An M2 is $85 and an M4 is $111. Both the AMG GT S and an M850i are $222/day.
Thanks! It's open the entire week I'm there..
No insurance-eek
Sooo,

If I "Alternatively, you can get a Miata for $32/day from Sixt at the FRA airport. An M2 is $85 and an M4 is $111. Both the AMG GT S and an M850i are $222/day."

Is that option legit? Can I just take one to the ring without getting in major trouble?
      02-23-2019, 01:49 PM   #7
Z4M_Coupe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by koryrykman View Post
No insurance-eek
Sooo,

If I "Alternatively, you can get a Miata for $32/day from Sixt at the FRA airport. An M2 is $85 and an M4 is $111. Both the AMG GT S and an M850i are $222/day."

Is that option legit? Can I just take one to the ring without getting in major trouble?

Ohhh how bad of an idea that is, if it works I’m doing that too
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #8
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by koryrykman View Post
No insurance-eek
Sooo,

Don't be a chicken they will never know
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      02-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #9
GuidoK
#buildnotbought
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i ESS TS2+

Take into account that rentals like that will have advanced gps tracking.
So read the small print.
Z4 3.0i | ESS TS2+ supercharger | Quaife ATB LSD | Brembo/BMW performance BBK front/rear | Schrick FI cams | Schmiedmann headers+cats | Powerflex/strongflex PU bushings | Vibra-technics engine mounts | H&R anti rollbars | KW V3 coilovers/KW camber plates | Sachs race engineering clutch | tons of custom sh#t
Appreciate 1
Dackelone10511.00
      02-23-2019, 03:28 PM   #10
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrAcK TRaP View Post
Don't be a chicken they will never know
ALL the major rental car companies have "spotters" looking for rental cars at the 'Ring. In Germany many if not all rentals have certain plate number combos.... so it's really easy to tell a rental from a private registered car. IF they catch you... you are banned for LIFE to rent a car from that company.

Go check out APEX rentals. They are fair and awesome people. You don't want to rent anything fast... IF you don't want to crash on your first time there. You can also take a passenger "trainer" from APEX... which I would encourage you to do so. I'd say rent something like a Polo or Golf for your first 'Ring experience.

When you crash at the 'Ring... not only are you held responsible for your rental car... but for anyone that wrecks behind you bc of your accident. Also you can expect at least a 400 euro tow ride back to the parking lot AND you are responsible for any damaged guard rails. That usually starts at 1K euros per 50 meters of guard rail.

The best thing is to rent from a reputable, take out accident insurance and an instructor. Don't take a rental car from the airport. That's a big no no.

IF you want a speed rush... maybe pay for a 'Ring Taxi... they usually run about 300 euros and are a good way to "experience" the Green Hell.

Excuses! lol

Also be aware that the 'Ring isn't always open to TF(Tourist Fahrt) days. Either go check APEX's website or the Nurburgring's site for what days the track is open for TF.

Dack
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #11
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

I plan to make trips there while I move to Rammstein this summer!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #12
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Dack has also previously posted this link to a video from Dale at BTG titled "2016 First Lap Guide": https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1348032.

Unfortunately, I didn't see it until I had already done my laps in my M4 on the Nordschleife in May 2016, but watching it in hindsight, it was spot on.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-23-2019 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      02-23-2019, 04:42 PM   #13
TrAcK TRaP
bOrN To DiE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dackelone View Post
ALL the major rental car companies have "spotters" looking for rental cars at the 'Ring. In Germany many if not all rentals have certain plate number combos.... so it's really easy to tell a rental from a private registered car. IF they catch you... you are banned for LIFE to rent a car from that company.

Go check out APEX rentals. They are fair and awesome people. You don't want to rent anything fast... IF you don't want to crash on your first time there. You can also take a passenger "trainer" from APEX... which I would encourage you to do so. I'd say rent something like a Polo or Golf for your first 'Ring experience.

When you crash at the 'Ring... not only are you held responsible for your rental car... but for anyone that wrecks behind you bc of your accident. Also you can expect at least a 400 euro tow ride back to the parking lot AND you are responsible for any damaged guard rails. That usually starts at 1K euros per 50 meters of guard rail.

The best thing is to rent from a reputable, take out accident insurance and an instructor. Don't take a rental car from the airport. That's a big no no.

IF you want a speed rush... maybe pay for a 'Ring Taxi... they usually run about 300 euros and are a good way to "experience" the Green Hell.

Excuses! lol

Also be aware that the 'Ring isn't always open to TF(Tourist Fahrt) days. Either go check APEX's website or the Nurburgring's site for what days the track is open for TF.

Dack
Woww. So we'll stick with our track and rental here in USA
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
I'm surprised that no one has asked if you've ever driven on a track before (HPDE), because that will make a huge difference in your initial comfort level. If you have driven on the track before, be aware that Touristenfarhten is open to any one, in any vehicle, with any level of skill. During an HPDE you have the expectation that those drive in your run group will have a similar level of skill and should be more predictable in their behaviour and that won't be the case on the Nordschleife.

If you've never driven on a track before, try and get some laps in during an HPDE here, or enroll in a 1- or 2-day M School before you bite the big bullet and take on the Green Hell for your first time on a track (yeah, I know, technically it's not a track, just a big, long twisty, curvy, banked, toll road with unlimited speed, but a track is the closest comparison).

My wife and both drove the Nordschleife in May, 2016 in my new M4, and even with lots of track experience it was intimidating for both of us. After having a friend who taught the BMW CCA Nurburgring School for more than 10 years drive my car for the first lap, I did my first two laps with other experienced BMW CCA instructors in the passenger before I did the last two laps solo. My wife had an instructor along for each of her three laps.

Last edited by SD ///M4; 02-23-2019 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      02-23-2019, 06:19 PM   #15
a4nut
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 13 135is

I did the ring taxi when I was there 2 years ago. It was raining, and I didn't want to take a chance with my SILs a-class Benz. It was an insane run, tail out everywhere, but he knew what he was doing. Even riding it was a huge rush.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 06:33 PM   #16
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Even for regular trackies, your first time at the Ring will be intimidating as hell. No amount of PS4/YouTube will prepare you for the proximity of the armco/trees, high curbs, heavy traffic and sheer adrenaline of just being at the Green Hell. I always recommend first timers rent a slower car their first time there. The temptation is always to get that GT3 and do a fast BTG time, but the reality is that your senses are gonna be quite overwhelmed by the cars around you and the unfamiliarity of the track. The last thing you want to add to the mix is trying to a manage a high powered machine that's unfamiliar to you. Get a slower fun car and have fun pushing its limits! I've seen Suzuki Swifts in the hands of Ring regulars overtake more powerful 2L turbos in the hands of newbies (me). Most importantly, be safe. You really don't want to appear in a YouTube Nurburgring crash video.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      02-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #17
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

If you have any track experience, consider trying to find a track day there. The number of cars is drastically reduced, and I would imagine the quality of driver is a lot better. Plus I have heard that there are more marshalls present on track days vs TF days.

Don't worry about a high powered car, get something safe, preferably with a cage and harness. I rented from rent4ring, their 125 however had all safety gear, good tires, brakes and suspension. It was a blast! They also offered track insurance for a reasonable price/deductible. I agree with others, get an instructor even if you have track experience. Highly valuable, and most trackside rentals can arrange I think.

Lastly, if you have a good sim at home (ie iRacing), practice. It made a huge difference for me. Regardless of the number of times you drive it behind a screen, nothing compares to behind the wheel of a real car. It is a very humbling track IMO. My head was spinning after my first two laps. It was an amazing experience though. Can't wait to go back.
Appreciate 2
Dackelone10511.00
      02-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
E46NYBMW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I did! Did a lap with my airport rental car. Haha!
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 10:50 AM   #19
Subiemmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5MC

I did a lap. Bought 2 laps ticket, but decided to exit after the first lap, too dangerous for me =). I drove my own car in the ring when I was stationed in Kaiserslautern.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2019, 11:33 AM   #20
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
I actually didn't like my experience with Apex when I went to the Nurburgring.

I scheduled a ring taxi ride and rented an M2 from them for my trip. I planned and booked things so I'd get the ring taxi ride first, then go do laps in the M2. I did things this way because I wanted to see the track and get a bit more familiar with it riding in the ring taxi, and then take it on in the M2. Also it would show me what lines/approaches/tricks those who know the track well take.

When I got there they said I would have to do the ring taxi after my laps. When I told them why I wanted to do it the way I planned they gave me some BS about how it's better to go into it unfamiliar and then do the ring taxi after...

The coach I got really didn't seem to care about my enjoyment on the track and instead was only worried about "don't mess up our car." He was really overprotective about it even though I told him I have a decent amount of HPDE experience. He proved my point right about doing the ring taxi first when he would tell me I needed to approach different turns, like the carousels differently (I would've known the better approach if I had done the ride first).

In the end my rented laps felt like they just wanted my money and didn't really care about my experience.

The ring taxi ride was much better. The driver was much more personable and cared about us enjoying our ride. He was engaging and explained a lot of what he was doing.
Appreciate 2
      02-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #21
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

I used RSR about 12 years ago and had no issues at all. I can't speak for more recent times though.

That being said. If you have no or very little track experience DON'T RENT SOMETHING FAST. You don't want to crash the car and it's that much more likely if you're driving something fast. There is zero run-off if you get into trouble, so you're highly likely to hit something that doesn't move. If you hit the guardrail, you're responsible for fixing the guardrail damage, plus the damage done to your car you were driving and hopefully you didn't hit anyone else.
Practice, practice practice: Meaning, get a driving simulator that had the 'Ring loaded onto it. I drove several hundred laps on the simulator and while it doesn't come close to preparing you for the real experience, you will know the layout of the track before you get there. Dale from RSR went out with me on my fourth lap and he asked me how many laps I had done. I told him three. He said keep in mind I know the track well enough to be dangerous. Point taken.
I did nine laps and never put a tire wrong and had a blast in a Renault Clio Cup.

Take it easy and have fun! Don't chance just taking a regular rental onto the track. It could end up costing you a lot more than the specialty rental car that will be track prepped.
Appreciate 3
      02-26-2019, 07:47 PM   #22
alfadog
Rep
Drives: Looking

Slow car + more laps > Fast car + fewer laps

+1 RSR
Appreciate 1