BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C MT Owners: How do you like the auto rev-match feature?

02-19-2019, 03:34 PM   #23
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Living with it

Thankfully, I learned to heel-toe long ago and I truly appreciated executing it properly in my 135i. BMW has perfect pedal setup to h/t. In all honesty, the rev match is so damn good, I can't say I miss it. I had to force myself not to early on but did it several times just out of habit. My M2 setting has DSC off, and I use it every so often just to remind myself that I can still execute a good h/t, but auto rev is more consistent and precise than I am. I'm one of the few here that love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:08 PM   #24
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

I have to concur with CSBM5 and Inuyasha , I've been driving MT since before actually having a legit license (AKA >35 years... ). If I had to guess, I've driven >200 different cars w/MT, and if I can let the "purist" in me go about the auto rev-match, the M2C is the easiest MT to drive of anything I've been in.

For a newbie-ish, you can't kill it from a stop, and rev match is always spot on if you just trust and shift/release quickly without thought...

I've grown to respect how well rev match works, even if I don't always celebrate its existence

If I have one complaint about the M2C MT, it's that, like a lot of German car features, the MT/clutch area is almost too polished so as to remove some of the character
Appreciate 1
CSBM52721.00
      02-19-2019, 04:23 PM   #25
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 02M3 19X3M40 on order 21 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I've found auto-rev matching to work exceptionally well. I've been driving MT cars for almost 45 years and various forms of autox/track/time trials/etc for over 40. I'm very adept at heel-toe (actually rocking foot of course) rev-matching; however, the auto rev-match works incredibly well. The key I learned was to simply trust it (which I didn't, actually couldn't, do initially). Trust it meaning when you downshift, just let the clutch out...don't go slow on the clutch pedal, just let it out in one determined motion. That gets rid of any jerking.
If you depend on your past skills of rev-matching, that muscle memory results in letting the clutch pedal up too slowly and then you can feel it engage, cause a jerk, etc.

Conversely, I find myself automatically manually rev-matching by habit, and the system accommodates that very well.

It's *especially* adept at the 2-1 rev-match. I wish rev-matching could be turned on when DSC is off, since on an airport autocross course with a long straight leading to a turn-around cone, you need to use massive trailbraking leading up to the cone, so you can plant the front tires and get the rear rotating as you aim for a very late apex and "back-siding" the cone. It's a very busy moment when you need to be managing maximum braking bleed-off, turn-in, and a 2-1 smooth downshift all together. With the M2C rev-matching, that 2-1 shift is butter smooth and absolutely perfect. Alas, DSC has to be off to really drive the car, so rev-match isn't available in this much desired situation.
+1
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
windnsea00
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

I like the auto rev matching, it works better in the S55 M2C, I find in the N55 M2 it tends to sometimes over rev and make a jerky downshift.

You can code it out with Bimmercode by setting the car to start without the clutch engaged. Then you can keep DSC on which I feel is a worthy option.

Lastly, you can rev match yourself if you are fast enough from my experience and the computer won't jump in.
      02-19-2019, 04:51 PM   #27
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

I thought I would be neutral on rev matching but turns out I absolutely love it. Through the miracle of science/wizardry I find that it nails it just about every time. Frankly my desire to do it myself has diminished, but if I want to go old school I just disable DSC.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 04:54 PM   #28
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #29
Project_F87
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C LBB 6MT

Absolutely love the feature. Works seamlessly
      02-19-2019, 05:18 PM   #30
2MCoupesam
Rep
Drives: 2000 M Coupe

Having had DCT in OG M2 and a comp pack M3, and now 6MT in M2C, honestly I think I prefer the DCT experience. Have an Z3M and E30 in MT, which are much more satisfying.

The overall experience of the MT in the car isn't my favorite and the rev match feature is one of the reasons why. Shifter itself just feels kinda rubbery and the clutch engagement is soft and not super satisfying.

Sam
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:33 PM   #31
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep

Get Autosolutions short shift kit
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 06:36 PM   #32
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
Even the M Performance slip on replacement shifter feels much less rubbery. It's shorter, you can shift it from the side, and it doesn't have a pillow on the end like the original shifter. I installed it in my car and it's great. My M2C has almost 5k miles on the odometer and the shifting keeps getting better with more miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 08:05 PM   #33
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
If you're new to MT then you'll be fine.
^^^
This is me. I haven't driven a manual transmission in something like a decade, so I don't even know where the auto-rev match feature beings or ends. I could figure it out by turning DSC fully off, but I don't plan on doing that any time soon.
      02-19-2019, 08:58 PM   #34
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

I don’t mind it, as it’s a pretty neat feature. But I prefer to do heel toe myself, and sorely miss doing it. I don’t want to turn off dsc when driving on streets.

It’s a shame you can’t turn off the auto rev feature like you can in the M3/4 (my previous M4, it would turn off when in sport+). The pedal setup/placement seems like it would be perfect for heel toe.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 09:09 PM   #35
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Much to my surprise I really like it. Before I got the car I was researching for days on how to turn it off but I'm glad it's there.

Honestly it's super nice
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:23 PM   #36
glachhman3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: SO M2

It's alright, I think it could be more responsive
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:02 AM   #37
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I like it. Been driving stick for the past 20 years and surprisingly the auto rev match works quite well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:02 AM   #38
2MCoupesam
Rep
Drives: 2000 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4 GTS View Post
My god, that website. Is there a better source to track one down?

Sam
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 08:37 AM   #39
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by windnsea00 View Post
Lastly, you can rev match yourself if you are fast enough from my experience and the computer won't jump in.
This is important. If you get on the gas to rev match yourself the computer will leave you to it. Try it and see.

I love the rev match, sure, i can turn it off on good days. But in general it works well.

M2C has a tight drive train for a road car so you need to be much more accurate with matching to get a comfortable shift.

Those who moan about revving to hell as you pull up to lights, why are you going for 1st while still moving?? Stop driving it like at DCT! Slow up in 3rd or 4th then drop clutch as you pull to a stop. Move to 1st when stationery, as per regular driving.

Been driving manuals for 33years..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:11 AM   #40
M4 GTS
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MCoupesam View Post
My god, that website. Is there a better source to track one down?

Sam
I know. You have to call them they are old fashioned. LOL!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 09:19 AM   #41
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
OP, it works really well once used to it. I like it now, but I just wish that they allowed us to turn it on/off in any driving mode.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #42
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

I like it. I'm used to it from the Corvette but it was much easier to disable and defaulted off.

For the M2 to practice instead of trying to shift simultaneously while blipping the throttle, push the clutch in, then blip the throttle, then move gears and you will work around the auto rev match (unless you want the TC off). It can't rev match until it knows what gear you're going towards.
'15 Subaru BRZ (Sold)
'12 Camaro (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 11:51 AM   #43
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
I've found auto-rev matching to work exceptionally well. I've been driving MT cars for almost 45 years and various forms of autox/track/time trials/etc for over 40. I'm very adept at heel-toe (actually rocking foot of course) rev-matching; however, the auto rev-match works incredibly well. The key I learned was to simply trust it (which I didn't, actually couldn't, do initially). Trust it meaning when you downshift, just let the clutch out...don't go slow on the clutch pedal, just let it out in one determined motion. That gets rid of any jerking.
If you depend on your past skills of rev-matching, that muscle memory results in letting the clutch pedal up too slowly and then you can feel it engage, cause a jerk, etc.

Conversely, I find myself automatically manually rev-matching by habit, and the system accommodates that very well.

It's *especially* adept at the 2-1 rev-match. I wish rev-matching could be turned on when DSC is off, since on an airport autocross course with a long straight leading to a turn-around cone, you need to use massive trailbraking leading up to the cone, so you can plant the front tires and get the rear rotating as you aim for a very late apex and "back-siding" the cone. It's a very busy moment when you need to be managing maximum braking bleed-off, turn-in, and a 2-1 smooth downshift all together. With the M2C rev-matching, that 2-1 shift is butter smooth and absolutely perfect. Alas, DSC has to be off to really drive the car, so rev-match isn't available in this much desired situation.
You sir.... made much more than just my day!!!

after driving manuals for more than two decades and rev-matching myself for over one decade, it seems i just did not have enough "trust" in the thing...

While deciding to buy or not to buy the M2C the fact that this feature is integrated in the car made it a possile killer for me, a possible no no, no go. I rev-match very well myself, and of top on that i highly enjoy it. My test drive in the LCI M2 showed me that its "ok" working, not too intrusive, and if i want to, i can just do it myself (you just need to be quick enough).

Today I started experimenting with a bit more "trust" and indeed my muscle memory was slowing my downshifts down and also made them less smooth. I was releasing the clutch like I was used to it, so way way to slow as it seems..

With the right amount of "trust" the auto rev-match works amazingly well and way faster than I every expected or thought it could be possible! downshifts are soo damn quick you can almost no longer feel the gears changing, so butter smooth and perfect it is.

I WANT TO BUY YOU A BEER, OR EVEN TWO! LET ME KNOW YOUR PAYPAL!

Last edited by ///M Houbi; 02-21-2019 at 12:13 PM..
Appreciate 2
CSBM52721.00
cptobvious2531.50
      02-21-2019, 12:08 PM   #44
nosbocaj
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
OG M2 here. Call me lazy, but I like it. I do wish it was easy to turn off (should just be a button like the lane warning), but otherwise I think it's a great feature.
Appreciate 0