BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C MT Owners: How do you like the auto rev-match feature?

02-19-2019, 10:26 AM   #1
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 '13 135i

M2C MT Owners: How do you like the auto rev-match feature?

I am fairly new to MT and I have placed an order for M2C MT. I would like to know if it is easier than regular MT with non auto-rev feature. I am having second thoughts of Manual but really not on the verge of shelling another $3k for DCT.

Can you describe the down-shift process?
Does it work seamlessly going into lower gear?

Thanks!
      02-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #2
andrettifan
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C; 2017 330i wagon

Currently own 2017 M2 and have 2020 M2C coming, both obviously have the auto rev match. I HATE IT! Others will tell you it works fine. I hate it. I have found (just my experience) that when you downshift with the rev match on, as you release the clutch the transmission tends to jump into gear (it's very subtle, but I can feel it). Depending on the gear you're in and the speed you're going, the revs can be ridiculously high... you'll be pulling up to a stop light and the damn thing screams revs and you're like - folks, it wasn't me, it was the damn computer. You can turn it off, Sport + with DSC fully off (as they say, all the nannies off). Honestly, that's the only way I've driven my '17 M2 for the last two years. I'll drive my M2C that way too. I've been doing my own rev matching on down shifts for almost 50 years. It's fun. I'm not going to let the computer take away that pleasure.
      02-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #3
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. It really helps put things in perspective. What about for someone who's new to Manual transmission/Down shifting. Can he adapt to it and hardly distinguish or is it better to stick to the old fashion rev-matching?
      02-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

If you're new to MT then you'll be fine.
Appreciate 1
bplewis24188.50
      02-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #5
RyanBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 328i, 2011 F10 550i,

Quick question, do you have to set the car in Sport+ & DSC OFF every time you start the car? Or does it remember the last setting?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:29 AM   #6
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
Quick question, do you have to set the car in Sport+ & DSC OFF every time you start the car? Or does it remember the last setting?
You have to reset it every time

And I also hate the auto rev match feature. First thing I do once I start it up, is hit the M2 button, which I have programmed to Sport+, DSC off!

Fun as hell in winter!!!
      02-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Lucky1
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '08 128i Coupe SGM 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesis View Post
I am fairly new to MT and I have placed an order for M2C MT. I would like to know if it is easier than regular MT with non auto-rev feature. I am having second thoughts of Manual but really not on the verge of shelling another $3k for DCT.

Thanks!
Get MT if you want the experience of rowing your own gears. And then learn to do it without the auto rev feature to make sure you acquire the full skillset so you can judge the experience properly and be portable between cars with no auto rev feature. You can leave it on after you've learned if you really prefer it that way. BMW's are not difficult manual cars to drive so I would dismiss difficulty as a concern if you have the physical abilities and inclination to operate a clutch and stickshift in whatever traffic conditions you will regularly come up against.

I bought my first BMW as a manual newbie and made sure I drove a few MT cars ahead of time to know thats what I wanted. M2C's are fairly expensive to make a wrong decision in this regard. I'm sure if you're considering MT at all it is probably right for you but try to be very sure its an experience you'll enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
kpham
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i & LBB 6MT M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1seriesis View Post

Thanks!
If you're new to MT, then the rev matching is great. I'm not new to MT but then again I'm no Senna either. If you don't know how to heel and toe, the rev matching will help you with smoother downshifts and could potentially help prevent breaking traction around turns. You'll enjoy rowing through your own gears and be more engaged with the car. You'll love it.
Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #9
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky1 View Post
Get MT if you want the experience of rowing your own gears. And then learn to do it without the auto rev feature to make sure you acquire the full skillset so you can judge the experience properly and be portable between cars with no auto rev feature. You can leave it on after you've learned if you really prefer it that way. BMW's are not difficult manual cars to drive so I would dismiss difficulty as a concern if you have the physical abilities and inclination to operate a clutch and stickshift in whatever traffic conditions you will regularly come up against.

I bought my first BMW as a manual newbie and made sure I drove a few MT cars ahead of time to know thats what I wanted. M2C's are fairly expensive to make a wrong decision in this regard. I'm sure if you're considering MT at all it is probably right for you but try to be very sure its an experience you'll enjoy.
Thank you so much for the reply and of giving me more confidence. My first ever manual sports car was BMW 135is and I was fine with it. I just wanted to know if the rev match feature allows a newbie learn easily.
      02-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #10
1seriesis
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpham View Post
If you're new to MT, then the rev matching is great. I'm not new to MT but then again I'm no Senna either. If you don't know how to heel and toe, the rev matching will help you with smoother downshifts and could potentially help prevent breaking traction around turns. You'll enjoy rowing through your own gears and be more engaged with the car. You'll love it.
Thank you so much! Now I feel better in my choices.
      02-19-2019, 01:03 PM   #11
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
You don't have to be in Sport+. Just turning DSC off is sufficient to disable auto revmatch (i.e. Comfort/DSC off or Sport/DSC off works fine too). You can save your favorite setting to M1 or M2 button and use that button even before starting your car to have everything ready to go.
Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      02-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #12
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

I've found auto-rev matching to work exceptionally well. I've been driving MT cars for almost 45 years and various forms of autox/track/time trials/etc for over 40. I'm very adept at heel-toe (actually rocking foot of course) rev-matching; however, the auto rev-match works incredibly well. The key I learned was to simply trust it (which I didn't, actually couldn't, do initially). Trust it meaning when you downshift, just let the clutch out...don't go slow on the clutch pedal, just let it out in one determined motion. That gets rid of any jerking.
If you depend on your past skills of rev-matching, that muscle memory results in letting the clutch pedal up too slowly and then you can feel it engage, cause a jerk, etc.

Conversely, I find myself automatically manually rev-matching by habit, and the system accommodates that very well.

It's *especially* adept at the 2-1 rev-match. I wish rev-matching could be turned on when DSC is off, since on an airport autocross course with a long straight leading to a turn-around cone, you need to use massive trailbraking leading up to the cone, so you can plant the front tires and get the rear rotating as you aim for a very late apex and "back-siding" the cone. It's a very busy moment when you need to be managing maximum braking bleed-off, turn-in, and a 2-1 smooth downshift all together. With the M2C rev-matching, that 2-1 shift is butter smooth and absolutely perfect. Alas, DSC has to be off to really drive the car, so rev-match isn't available in this much desired situation.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 5
devo755.00
BlkSVT388.50
nomoracin758.00
filet.M2c784.00
AndrewC198910910.50
      02-19-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
gnx
Όλα ρόδες
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I don't, and the funny thing is that initially I considered this a plus in ordering manual.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:57 PM   #14
Inuyasha
“One finds limits by pushing them”
Rep
Drives: M2C

I love rev match. My experience is a little different. I’ve been driving manual for over 25 years, but I never really mastered heel/toe. I never was going fast enough to care in a car on the streets of NYC.
However, I’ve been riding motorcycles just as long and it’s quite required to manually rev match. With today’s tech, rev matching comes with certain bikes or you can add it. Its pretty cool. As someone pointed out above, it works great. Just drop the clutch quickly and it’s perfect downshifts. The faster you go the better it works. Going slow in a crawl is a little jerky. If there’s traffic, switch to efficient and it’s less jerky, no big deal. I’m older too, so I like one less thing to think about when driving on the track, which I plan to do after I break her in.
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      02-19-2019, 02:40 PM   #15
grinch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d

All my life I've had manual cars. I have had M2 6MT and now M2C 6MT and I think that rev match is fine. Help make the changes smoother
Appreciate 1
devo755.00
      02-19-2019, 03:04 PM   #16
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
You don't have to be in Sport+. Just turning DSC off is sufficient to disable auto revmatch (i.e. Comfort/DSC off or Sport/DSC off works fine too). You can save your favorite setting to M1 or M2 button and use that button even before starting your car to have everything ready to go.
DSC off numbs the Sport+ experience; imo...

It feels as though the throttle mapping in much more tame with DSC off.
      02-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #17
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:
DSC off numbs the Sport+ experience; imo...

It feels as though the throttle mapping in much more tame with DSC off.
Hmm I don't know... Never noticed any difference in Sport+ throttle behavior with respect to DSC mode I'm in. I love Sport+ with DSC off, which is the configuration that I use 95% of the time.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have been driving manuals far too many years than I care to remember and also like the auto rev match feature, I will say I find Sport+ to be too aggressive when the engine is cold. While keeping the revs below 2.5 rpms until proper oil temp, I sometimes find a downshift will send rpms higher than I would have preferred for a cold engine. This is only because the oil is still not yet hot enough not because the feature doesn't otherwise work great. I drive in Efficiency mode until the engine is warm, then to Sport+ all the time.

Side note: Someone here also said Efficiency mode allows for a quicker warm up as it allows for less engine cooling; unsure if true or not.
kpham189.50
      02-19-2019, 03:17 PM   #19
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmm I don't know... Never noticed any difference in Sport+ throttle behavior with respect to DSC mode I'm in. I love Sport+ with DSC off, which is the configuration that I use 95% of the time.
Maybe I am confusing MDM. Could that be? I have to experiment again.

My current M1 and 2 settings are Sport+/Sport+ steering and Sport+/Sport steering. I use M2 all the time.
      02-19-2019, 03:23 PM   #20
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

I love rev matching to the point where I probably would have went DCT if it wasn't a feature. Lets be honest sometimes, its fucking -20c out, your phones ringing, the car in front of you is driving like an idiot, your gf is yapping, or otherwise have better things to be doing than trying to hit a perfect heel-toe. Its a street car, not a track car. The system works REALLY well and you get butter smooth downshifts all the time, atleast in my experience. I would appreciate the ability to turn it off independent of all other modes though. Really not sure why BMW chose to give us all or nothing for that and also for the ASD.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-19-2019, 03:30 PM   #21
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:
Maybe I am confusing MDM. Could that be? I have to experiment again.

My current M1 and 2 settings are Sport+/Sport+ steering and Sport+/Sport steering. I use M2 all the time.
No you might be right. I almost never use DSC on so that might be why I haven't noticed anything major. Sport+/DSC off is my go to setting saved in M1.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #22
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Much to my surprise, I like it.
Appreciate 0