BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > drivetrain malfunction

02-16-2019, 02:18 AM   #1
DumiO
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Exclamation drivetrain malfunction

Hi guys, Bmw m2 lci 2018, bought brand new in Nov 2018, black shadow... 4700km on it, break in at 1970 km. yesterday on a 100 km trip, about 50 km in (so all conditions at optimal level) I get an drivetrain malfunction warning, orange one, saying possible to continue journey, full perf not available. I stopped at the next gas station, stopped completely, waited a little, stated up again, 5 meters in drive (didn't actually get to leave the gas station) the warning appeared again, of course with the power of a Dacia Logan. Dealer that sold me the car was located in the city I was headed to, so called and brought the car in. A thing that I 've noticed at the gas station, was a sound that I didn't heard before, like a ... I don't know how to describe it ... chirping sound, engine belt like sound, hearable only in silence, in traffic condition, I can't hear it. I forgot to mention that I didn't do anything to the car, in terms of mods and other things, drive it like instructed during break in, no track days etc. Never had an issue before this. The dealer took it in. after 2 hours, I called them, they said the car didn't cool down enough, so they didn't get to check it yet, another 2 hours and got the call, said that at first, when it did cool down, it didn't why to start at all, after that they did manage to start it and read that it was something to do with the fueling system, and that they don't know what exactly yet. Friday afternoon, almost closing time, so I have to wait until Monday for further inspection. Did have time to check the fuel pump in the tank, and that was ok. Said that they never encountered this at an m car before. Reason for posting, beside the frustration and heartbreak for my New and first bmw m car, I don t feel very comfortable with the ideea of someone deconstructing my car bit by bit, until they find the problem, as they said they will. Searched the bimmer threads, saw the software solutions, will communicate it to the dealers, but I don't think that's the case here, the noise take me that something real is up. Got a x1 18d xdrive replacer, so I guess the "I got that going for me" meme is appropriate. If anybody got some ideas, so I can help the dealer service, let me know. Thanks, have a great m weekend.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2019, 06:14 AM   #2
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Sorry to read of your troubles. Keep us posted!
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I believe some people had some trouble with the high pressure or low pressure fuel pumps, but only at the track, or even badly modded.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #4
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Was your gas-tank almost empty?
If so, NORMAL!!! If you kick the gas- pedal with an almost empty tank, the car will go in to Limp- mode (yes, the car sounds and feels broken...)... Very frightening but harmless. Fill her up, all back to normal (after a few km).
If not, stop and start again (there might be some air-bubbles left in the system).

If your tank was full... Sorry, can't help...

Last edited by 2nd chance; 02-20-2019 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      02-20-2019, 05:39 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd chance View Post
Was your gas-tank almost empty?
If so, NORMAL!!! If you kick the gas- pedal with an almost empty tank, the car will go in to Limp- mode (yes, the car sounds and feels broken...)... Very frightening but harmless. Fill her up, all back to normal (after a few km).
If not, stop and start again (there might be some air-bubbles left in the system).

If your tank was full... Sorry, can't help...
Funny, I've noticed this also; when the tank is close to empty the MIL illuminates for various reasons but after I fill it up and start the vehicle the next morning; the light magically disappears without any trail.

I thought it was all in my head but now that you mention this..

Care to expand on how and why this occurs?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 02:38 AM   #6
DumiO
Rep

It was not, I left for the trip with a full tank of gas, 50 km in and limp mode. I've got a call from the dealers yesterday, they say it's a problem with the high pressure fuel pump, the thing didn't have enough power to send fuel to the injectors, so... 2-4 days for new pump delivery, and one good day of labour. If after tests all run smooth, I'll get my car back. If not, there may be other issues. Hope not. I think this is not a very big issue, even tough it's a new car with 4700 km on it. What do you think, does this affect the car in any way, is this a bigger issue then I make it, does it affect it's resale value, etc.?

Last edited by DumiO; 02-21-2019 at 08:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #7
2nd chance
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumiO View Post
It was not, I left for the trip with a full tank of gas, 50 km in and limp mode. I've got a call from the dealers yesterday, they say it's a problem with the high pressure fuel pump, the thing didn't have enough power to send fuel to the injectors, so... 2-4 days for new pump delivery, and one good day of labour. If after tests all run smooth, I'll get my car back. If not, there may be other issues. Hope not. I think this is not a very big issue, even tough it's a new car with 4700 km on it. What do you think, does this affect the car in any way, is this a bigger issue then I make it, does it affect it's resale value, etc.?
It's just a fuel- pump issue (apparently).
No worries... new pump in, problem solved!
Under warranty? Probably, so again don't worry!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 01:25 AM   #8
DumiO
Rep

Yup, under warranty. Will keep you posted. Did any of you buy extended warranty, and if so for what period? I still have the option to extend mine, feeling kind of constrained after this incident.
Appreciate 0