BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Put your orders in. 500hp S58 M2 is where it’s at.

02-14-2019, 12:14 AM   #45
filet.M2c
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2c / mach e

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
It's going to have to be AWD, because I think it's going to be based on the FWD platform if nothing's changed since I last read about it.
I believe this is correct, UKL platform is only FWD/xDrive. Unless BMW incorporates the ability to run 100% of the power to the rear wheels while keeping the weight reasonably low, then the current M2c will hold its value as the last M RWD compact coupe

Last edited by filet.M2c; 02-14-2019 at 12:23 AM..
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8717.00
      02-14-2019, 01:20 AM   #46
M1fortyeye
Private
Rep
Drives: m140

Quote:
Originally Posted by synergist View Post
I believe this is correct, UKL platform is only FWD/xDrive. Unless BMW incorporates the ability to run 100% of the power to the rear wheels while keeping the weight reasonably low, then the current M2c will hold its value as the last M RWD compact coupe
Next m2 remains rwd.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/05/next-gen-bmw-2-series-nicknamed-drift-machine-internally/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:32 AM   #47
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Nah - M2c Will be the most common M2 variation by the time the S58 M2s are out....value will tank for sure just like all the other S55 BMWs out there
Appreciate 2
.2pdk4068.50
TripleU170.00
      02-14-2019, 01:33 AM   #48
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

In my book it's about ;
-weight (M2C is just too heavy)
-power delivery
-traction(!) and I don't need some smart awd.(traction issues M2C which I don't dislike)
-revving freely and not running out of breath.

I think it's going to be a masterpiece of an engine(not sounding quite like N55) just like S55.

I had E46/E90 M3/1M and OG M2 before fwiw.

The future is looking bright and to hell with Tesla.

Enjoy your cars!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
.2pdk4068.50
      02-14-2019, 01:35 AM   #49
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Nah - M2c Will be the most common M2 variation by the time the S58 M2s are out....value will tank for sure just like all the other S55 BMWs out there
I just don't want a 10 year old engine in my rather new M2, sorry.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
D22M21372.50
Poochie9104.50
      02-14-2019, 02:19 AM   #50
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
Nah. Both the M2 and M2C are going to depreciate normally and similarly. The early reports on the Z4 and G20 show that they have taken the poor reception to the F3x and F8x cars to heart. I doubt they make more M2C than M2. It might be 50/50 though.
Appreciate 1
D22M21372.50
      02-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #51
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Quote:
Nah. Both the M2 and M2C are going to depreciate normally and similarly. The early reports on the Z4 and G20 show that they have taken the poor reception to the F3x and F8x cars to heart. I doubt they make more M2C than M2. It might be 50/50 though.
I Agree - these are fun cars (and good looking)but nothing special for sure
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-14-2019, 04:49 AM   #52
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

The next generation M2 will not be AWD or have an option for such simple because if they go that route, it will be limited to a ZF8 only.

They're simple going to detune the power to something equivalent to the upcoming 'M3 Pure' concept and widen the width of the rear tires.

This is thanks to some of you guys for keeping the take rate on the manual at 50% for the M2, maybe because you're appreciate the control a manual affords you or were too cheap to pony up the extra $2,900 for the DCT.

Whatever the reason, kudos for keeping the stick alive!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 05:17 AM   #53
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
Except by then the OG M2 will have appreciated becuase of its classic status. The first M ever with the wrong mirrors fitted.
Z4M had standard Z4 mirrors . The standard Z4 mirrors were super sleek already, though.
BMW has been changing the definition of what an "M car" is for generations now; there was a time not to long ago, right around the release of the E92 platform, when BMW claim that an M car would never be turbo-charged, simple because the concept of an M is naturally aspirated and so no force induction.

See how they kept their word on that.

It makes no sense trying to chase a concept when attitudes, management, and regulations constantly keep evolving with time. Which consequently forces them to keep moving the goal post. An M car is what contemporary buyers accepts it to be and really what badge BMW choose to slap on the back.

As far as such the non-M mirrors goes; I rather them scale back cost and throw on some standard side mirrors if it means I'll save a buck in the process. A mirror is a mirror but as you witnessing, current consumers are more concern about form over function; 'so non-M mirror, mean it's not a real M car.'

The original M2 at 51k MSRP to start was such a gift but required some compromises to get to that price point but as you see, some folks can't see the big picture and would rather bitch over silly cosmetics.

It's a delicate balance car manufactures have to maintain to give everyone their cake and eat it too.

M history lesson:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/27/b...harged-m-cars/

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/...ontent=Twitter
Appreciate 5
GoHerd87.50
Robin_NL8717.00
skiparock182.50
      02-14-2019, 06:03 AM   #54
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
BMW has been changing the definition of what an "M car" is for generations now; there was a time not to long ago, right around the release of the E92 platform, when BMW claim that an M car would never be turbo-charged, simple because the concept of an M is naturally aspirated and so no force induction.

See how they kept their word on that.

It makes no sense trying to chase a concept when attitudes, management, and regulations constantly keep evolving with time. Which consequently forces them to keep moving the goal post. An M car is what contemporary buyers accepts it to be and really what badge BMW choose to slap on the back.

As far as such the non-M mirrors goes; I rather them scale back cost and throw on some standard side mirrors if it means I'll save a buck in the process. A mirror is a mirror but as you witnessing, current consumers are more concern about form over function; 'so non-M mirror, mean it's not a real M car.'

The original M2 at 51k MSRP to start was such a gift but required some compromises to get to that price point but as you see, some folks can't see the big picture and would rather bitch over silly cosmetics.

It's a delicate balance car manufactures have to maintain to give everyone their cake and eat it too.

M history lesson:

https://www.bmwblog.com/2008/11/27/b...harged-m-cars/

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/04/04/...ontent=Twitter
In bold: It's (government/political)regulations what makes BMW/M 'decide' (and other brands, look at Ferrai they're since 488 back to turbo engines) do what they do...

1972 2002 turbo.

1977 Gr 5/DRm version. >500HP/850kgs

//M GmbH didn't even exist yet

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      02-14-2019, 06:11 AM   #55
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
The next generation M2 will not be AWD or have an option for such simple because if they go that route, it will be limited to a ZF8 only.

They're simple going to detune the power to something equivalent to the upcoming 'M3 Pure' concept and widen the width of the rear tires.

This is thanks to some of you guys for keeping the take rate on the manual at 50% for the M2, maybe because you're appreciate the control a manual affords youor were too cheap to pony up the extra $2,900 for the DCT.

Overhere 6MT is a > €8k option, standard DCT, because Al Gore said so, thus our snowflake commie government decided to charge a gas guzzling MT a bit more.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:19 AM   #56
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post

//M GmbH didn't even exist yet

Cheers
Robin
Good point

Some folks seem to forget that first mass produced M car was actually an M535i, which was considered a standard model with some improvements.

I guess BMW saw the writing on the wall and hatched-up a great idea for marketing a premium sporty model.

I was afraid to mention that before some fanboys here light their car on fire in effigy, for BMW being so 'deceitful.'

Baby steps
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 06:32 AM   #57
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:

This is thanks to some of you guys for keeping the take rate on the manual at 50% for the M2, maybe because you're appreciate the control a manual affords youor were too cheap to pony up the extra $2,900 for the DCT.

Overhere 6MT is a > €8k option, standard DCT, because Al Gore said so, thus our snowflake commie government decided to charge a gas guzzling MT a bit more.

Cheers
Robin
That's some BS. I don't understand how that's fair; because a manual supposedly burns more gas, you pay a steep penalty :

I mean, In the US they have something similar called a "Gas Guzzler Tax" but it only applies any transmission choice but vehicles that average under 18 MPG i.e. super/hyper cars.. I think that's reasonable.

http://blog.consumerguide.com/gas-guzzler-tax/
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #58
RPM33
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Next 2 series coupe is supposed to go in production in 2021, so next M2 will probably come out in 2022. Like others have mentioned, it will probably have less hp than M3 Pure, so less than 444 hp.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #59
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aWanderlustSeoul View Post
Quote:
You're right that there is a lot of what-ifs and we really don't need more power in a motor but just like everything else, it's an improvement on the last generation and progress is always a good thing.

An example on a smaller level is my iPhone X which I'm 100% contented with but if Apple drops an improvement in September, I'm sure it it will peak my interest because one, it's progression on the previous iteration and two, that's just how human nature works; we all want the latest and greatest, even if it's not necessary.

I'm assuming as someone previously suggested BMW is going to make one modular S58 motor for all the M vehicles and electronically scale down the power to match each series's trim level and its ability to put down traction.
I understand your point but I do not agree with your analogy with the iPhone.

Apple has dramatically reduced forecast of iPhone revenues and it's not just apple but other smartphone manufacturers like Samsung have also dropped. If everyone wanted the next best thing regardless if it was a major or incremental update, mobile phone sales forecast would not be on the decline. Apple finally understands this and their area of growth will be with their ecosystem and services and not with their hardware. Not everyone wants to spend over a $1000 every year or every other year to get a new iPhone or high end Android that may offer minimal improvement in performance, hardware, or features.

Cars will eventually become a commodity in the not so distant future with autonomous/self driving cars with lyft/uber like car services so no one will need to own a car. I'm generalizing but millenials and younger generation are not as into cars or thinking about getting the next best car. I'm sure this is partly due to the financial and wealth gap between generations that keeps on widening.

The car industry has to evolve or become extinct and ICE cars will be on the way out. Car enthusiasts are in the minority and there has to be more than just outright performance and horsepower for the streets but I understand it matters much more for racing, the track, modding, and just pure bragging rights.

BTW I also have an iPhone X and feel no reason to upgrade yet.
if one does not wish to own a car, you can already use Lyft or Uber. No need to wait for self driving cars.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #60
MDuckie
Private
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Is no one else thinking that the next M2 won't have the S58? Do you really think they're going to continue putting the same engine in 3 different models? The current M2C is already WAY too close to the performance of the M3/M4 and people that want a Coupé are going to get the M2 over the M4.

The only reason that they put the S55 into the M2C is because of emission regulation.

The 1M had the N54, the M2 had the N55.

Just a thought.
Appreciate 1
filet.M2c784.00
      02-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #61
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
It's going to have to be AWD, because I think it's going to be based on the FWD platform if nothing's changed since I last read about it.
Also I assume if it's AWD only for next gen m2, there won't be a MT option.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #62
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDuckie View Post
Is no one else thinking that the next M2 won't have the S58? Do you really think they're going to continue putting the same engine in 3 different models? The current M2C is already WAY too close to the performance of the M3/M4 and people that want a Coupé are going to get the M2 over the M4.

The only reason that they put the S55 into the M2C is because of emission regulation.

The 1M had the N54, the M2 had the N55.

Just a thought.
I think it was going into the M2 for the CS version, but emission laws created a once in a life time gift for m2 buyers who waited.

Maybe the cats out if the bag now and they can't go backwards. I think sales will be slow if they just tune up the b58.
Appreciate 3
filet.M2c784.00
qnet681.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      02-14-2019, 08:40 PM   #63
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
if one does not wish to own a car, you can already use Lyft or Uber. No need to wait for self driving cars.
Uber/Lyft services are not available in every city/country. There's no incentive for the drivers or these car services to small towns/rural areas until self-driving cars becomes a reality.

Once 5G rolls out and becomes stable/mature, it will be a transformative technology that will change everything including how the masses/majority feel about transportation and self-driving cars. There will be small market share for car enthusiasts but that's not what's going to keep car manufacturers in business.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:51 PM   #64
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
BMW development chief Klaus Frohlich already confirmed that the next 2 series will have a rear-wheel-drive layout

The next M2 will be RWD as well

And to think that internally they nicknamed it as 'Drift machine' ...
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
Robin_NL8717.00
      02-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #65
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Quote:
BMW development chief Klaus Frohlich already confirmed that the next 2 series will have a rear-wheel-drive layout

The next M2 will be RWD as well

And to think that internally they nicknamed it as 'Drift machine' ...
Amen 👏🏻
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 09:25 PM   #66
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

Quote:
I think it was going into the M2 for the CS version, but emission laws created a once in a life time gift for m2 buyers who waited.

Maybe the cats out if the bag now and they can't go backwards. I think sales will be slow if they just tune up the b58.
I wondered about that also. I personally would still buy a tuned up B58 M2, but I've never wanted or needed more power & tuning potential.
Appreciate 0