BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Put your orders in. 500hp S58 M2 is where it’s at.

02-13-2019, 12:00 PM   #23
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
The M2 S58 is only about 6 years out, along with a Brexit, a housing crash, a Trump re-election, and other extremely predictable, stable things. I'm gonna sell my M2 RIGHT NOW (cuz I don't want it to lose value) and just wait for the new S58 M2. No, wait, I'm going to wait for the S58 M2 Competition, so 8 years. Yes, that makes the most sense.
Except by then the OG M2 will have appreciated becuase of its classic status. The first M ever with the wrong mirrors fitted.
Appreciate 3
QM287.00
qnet681.50
samsamdar578.50
      02-13-2019, 12:13 PM   #24
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotxERAU View Post
By the time it gets released the hot hatchbacks will be North of 400bhp with 4WD and cost 1/3rd less.

So it probably needs at least 600 just to be taken seriously...
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #25
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMyE92 View Post
I think the M2, as is (OG, non-C) is a well balanced compromise, and long after the S58 has been replaced with a 4 gigawatt impulse engine, the "real" M2 will be appreciated for what it was.
Ummm...Did this guy just drop a blended Doc Brown/Cap Kirk reference???

P.S. For continuity sake, the DeLorean only required 1.21 gigawatts...but still nice!
Appreciate 2
963mw331.00
      02-13-2019, 01:09 PM   #26
bjams
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
You can get an idea of the sound by listening to the X3/X4M Nurburgring test mule videos that have been out for a few months.

It sounds quite a bit better, and is what kept me from thinking about switching to the S55.
I’m no expert and not to be pessimistic but it sounded just like an S55 to me in that video.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:15 PM   #27
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

https://youtu.be/Uufq6MxkgJM

Shmee will let you listen.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #28
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjams View Post
I’m no expert and not to be pessimistic but it sounded just like an S55 to me in that video.
One of the videos had an M3 drive by after the X3M. The M3 definitely has that Honda “racer” exhaust sound that the X3M doesn’t. Altho, who knows what it will sound like until they fit an M2 sized exhaust to the S58.

I don’t think the S58 in the vids sounds great, but it definitely sounds better than the S55. The S55 is better engine than the N55, but I’d never drive anything that sounds like it, so I’m skipping it.

The S58 will be better than the S55 and seems like it will sound better, so that should be a good compromise. But as other have said, who knows what kind of car the M2 will be by then, and the total package what’s important.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 01:25 PM   #29
.2pdk
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by D22M2 View Post
This is going to be good… Real good ! But hopefully they’ won’t put the oil cooler in the stupid location again
This would be the most important factor for me.

Second would be that udder of an exhaust can.
Appreciate 1
D22M21372.50
      02-13-2019, 01:26 PM   #30
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:

God that guy is annoying. Was there actually exhaust noise in the vid? I can’t stand to watch it.
Appreciate 4
epic133.50
TripleU170.00
      02-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #31
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Who cares about engines, I just need to know that the side mirrors on the next M2 will have protruding dongles. It's not an M car unless there's someplace for people to hang shopping bags, purses, or a fedora at Cars & Coffee.
Appreciate 3
trey1001125.00
bentom2335.50
randyt224.50
      02-13-2019, 01:45 PM   #32
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Who cares about engines, I just need to know that the side mirrors on the next M2 will have protruding dongles. It's not an M car unless there's someplace for people to hang shopping bags, purses, or a fedora at Cars & Coffee.
A men
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:18 PM   #33
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
God that guy is annoying. Was there actually exhaust noise in the vid? I can’t stand to watch it.
Sounds like a perfect topic for a poll or a "would you rather"...

Which would you rather listen to:

a) Shmee's voice
b) a Bag of drowning kittens
c) the S55
d) the sound of the gun blowing my brains out so I don't have to listen to any of the three above
Appreciate 8
ZM22810.50
TripleU170.00
ORG52.50
RedCarrot230.50
Dblaz43.50
Jcon157316.50
COChris888.50
      02-13-2019, 02:22 PM   #34
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I heard some say it sounds way better and then others said it's sounds like the S55 but it's all heresy until we get a proper aural clip. So far they only released a teaser.

The motor is the real deal though; it's ironclad judging from the specs. B58 architecture but built from the bottom up for the M lineage.

Power is not the issue anymore, traction is what we will all be scavenging for..

I can picture the rivalry already; "My car has more grip than yours"
On paper it seems exciting, but we don't really know if it's going to be special or a disaster until it's been out for a while.

If traction is going to be the issue then maybe it will be more about the changes to the rest of the car, do you prefer AWD or not? Will the S58 version of the M2 have AWD? For all we know they will do a B58 and S58 version for the next M2. Maybe the S58 will have more problems than the S55. Maybe it will sound worse.

I mean what's really going to make the S58 exciting over the S55? Sound? Doesn't seem like it. Higher redline? Doesn't look like it being mated to the ZF8. What's the S58 doing for me an S55 won't? No spun crank hub?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:31 PM   #35
PilotxERAU
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

At least they fed it some Beano....no farts!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 02:50 PM   #36
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
On paper it seems exciting, but we don't really know if it's going to be special or a disaster until it's been out for a while.

If traction is going to be the issue then maybe it will be more about the changes to the rest of the car, do you prefer AWD or not? Will the S58 version of the M2 have AWD? For all we know they will do a B58 and S58 version for the next M2. Maybe the S58 will have more problems than the S55. Maybe it will sound worse.

I mean what's really going to make the S58 exciting over the S55? Sound? Doesn't seem like it. Higher redline? Doesn't look like it being mated to the ZF8. What's the S58 doing for me an S55 won't? No spun crank hub?
I'm not sure what has been confirmed so far. Is the next gen M3/4 gonna be AWD? In that case the S58 might only be paired with AWD and the M2 might get a high output version of the B58.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 03:01 PM   #37
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
I'm not sure what has been confirmed so far. Is the next gen M3/4 gonna be AWD? In that case the S58 might only be paired with AWD and the M2 might get a high output version of the B58.
I believe the word is the "pure" model of the M3/M4 will be MT and RWD with a detuned engine (425-444?), the base will be AWD ZF8 (475hp?), and the comp model will be AWD ZF8 (503hp?)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:35 PM   #38
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I heard some say it sounds way better and then others said it's sounds like the S55 but it's all heresy until we get a proper aural clip. So far they only released a teaser.

The motor is the real deal though; it's ironclad judging from the specs. B58 architecture but built from the bottom up for the M lineage.

Power is not the issue anymore, traction is what we will all be scavenging for..

I can picture the rivalry already; "My car has more grip than yours"

You're right that there is a lot of what-ifs and we really don't need more power in a motor but just like everything else, it's an improvement on the last generation and progress is always a good thing.

An example on a smaller level is my iPhone X which I'm 100% contented with but if Apple drops an improvement in September, I'm sure it it will peak my interest because one, it's an advancement on the previous iteration and two, that's just how human nature works; we all want the latest and greatest, even if it's not necessary.

I'm assuming as someone previously suggested BMW is going to make one modular S58 motor for all the M vehicles and electronically detune the power to match each series's trim level and its ability to put down traction.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 05:45 PM   #39
///M TOWN
United_States
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Quote:
You just tanked the value of M2C.
If you're keeping it who gives a flying f-
      02-13-2019, 06:20 PM   #40
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Except by then the OG M2 will have appreciated becuase of its classic status. The first M ever with the wrong mirrors fitted.
Z4M had standard Z4 mirrors . The standard Z4 mirrors were super sleek already, though.

I'm more unhappy that the X3M and X4M get two awesome color options and the M2/M2C got shafted again. Talking about Donnington Gray and Toronto Red.
Appreciate 2
TripleU170.00
      02-13-2019, 07:42 PM   #41
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
You're right that there is a lot of what-ifs and we really don't need more power in a motor but just everything else, it's an improvement on the last generation and progress is always a good thing.

An example on a smaller level is my iPhone X which I'm 100% contented with but if Apple drops an improvement in September, I'm sure it it will peak my interest because one, it's progression on the previous iteration and two, that's just how human nature works; we all want the latest and greatest, even if it's not necessary.

I'm assuming as someone previously suggested BMW is going to make one modular S58 motor for all the M vehicles and electronically scale down the power to match each series's trim level and its ability to put down traction.

Yea but what if for like $40 you could throw a tune (overclock?) on your phone and it would be even better than the next new iphone?

I guess that's not really a great comparison. Assuming the next M2 is RWD I feel a tuned S55 or S58 is going to be more than the car can handle in RWD form. If it's AWD then that's something, if one wants that sort of thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:08 PM   #42
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Yea but what if for like $40 you could throw a tune (overclock?) on your phone and it would be even better than the next new iphone?

I guess that's not really a great comparison. Assuming the next M2 is RWD I feel a tuned S55 or S58 is going to be more than the car can handle in RWD form. If it's AWD then that's something, if one wants that sort of thing.
It's going to have to be AWD, because I think it's going to be based on the FWD platform if nothing's changed since I last read about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:11 PM   #43
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:

More power? It's pretty obvious the overall engine design is improved as the B58 in the new 3 Series is making more power and torque than even the M2's beefed up N55 therefore it should be expected the the B58 is going to be an improved overall engine.

I do feel that high end cars are getting so silly fast that RWD is going to become an endangered species as it's requiring AWD to put all the power down on a lot of these cars. While I do enjoy a proper sports car AWD system with YAW control I don't consider the Halex or xDrive systems as proper AWD systems for sports cars. The biggest issue for me with the new M models will be the use of the ZF8 transmission. It's one thing to have a ZF8 in an Audi S4 and it's Haldex AWD system as Audi isn't even trying to make a track car to compete with Porsche or a drag car like a Hellcat where ultra fast downshifts aren't really important. It's completely another thing to put a GT car transmission an M2 or M3/M4 that is supposed to be more track focused. There's a reason Porsche continues to use a DCT in their high performance models and it's part of the reason they will continue to widen the gap between them and their competitors.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:36 PM   #44
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

Quote:
You're right that there is a lot of what-ifs and we really don't need more power in a motor but just like everything else, it's an improvement on the last generation and progress is always a good thing.

An example on a smaller level is my iPhone X which I'm 100% contented with but if Apple drops an improvement in September, I'm sure it it will peak my interest because one, it's progression on the previous iteration and two, that's just how human nature works; we all want the latest and greatest, even if it's not necessary.

I'm assuming as someone previously suggested BMW is going to make one modular S58 motor for all the M vehicles and electronically scale down the power to match each series's trim level and its ability to put down traction.
I understand your point but I do not agree with your analogy with the iPhone.

Apple has dramatically reduced forecast of iPhone revenues and it's not just apple but other smartphone manufacturers like Samsung have also dropped. If everyone wanted the next best thing regardless if it was a major or incremental update, mobile phone sales forecast would not be on the decline. Apple finally understands this and their area of growth will be with their ecosystem and services and not with their hardware. Not everyone wants to spend over a $1000 every year or every other year to get a new iPhone or high end Android that may offer minimal improvement in performance, hardware, or features.

Cars will eventually become a commodity in the not so distant future with autonomous/self driving cars with lyft/uber like car services so no one will need to own a car. I'm generalizing but millenials and younger generation are not as into cars or thinking about getting the next best car. I'm sure this is partly due to the financial and wealth gap between generations that keeps on widening.

The car industry has to evolve or become extinct and ICE cars will be on the way out. Car enthusiasts are in the minority and there has to be more than just outright performance and horsepower for the streets but I understand it matters much more for racing, the track, modding, and just pure bragging rights.

BTW I also have an iPhone X and feel no reason to upgrade yet.

Last edited by aWanderlustSeoul; 02-13-2019 at 11:53 PM..
Appreciate 1