03-18-2020, 02:11 AM   #1
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

exhaust pops

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So i do have a question. I always see videos of people revving their cars and the car just burbles and pops none stop. When i try it? Just kinda sounds as it does in efficient mode, just louder. Curious if some of you have noticed the same. Also does the OG M2 pop and burblemore?

This is more curiosity just because i find my experience to be pretty different compared to what i've seen online.

Sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:47 AM   #2
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

The M2C definitely pops and burbles a whole lot more than the OG.. and I'm curious why you don't hear any pops or burbles. When the engine is warm, in sports plus, try bringing the rpm to 3k and hold for a a few seconds and then just let off the gas all at once. It should pop and burble quite a bit when you do.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 08:33 AM   #3
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxyion View Post
So i do have a question. I always see videos of people revving their cars and the car just burbles and pops none stop. When i try it? Just kinda sounds as it does in efficient mode, just louder. Curious if some of you have noticed the same. Also does the OG M2 pop and burblemore?

This is more curiosity just because i find my experience to be pretty different compared to what i've seen online.

Sport+ mode.
Didnt you permanently open the valves...? If so, that's the reason why you don't hear the burbles. In Sport+, it pops a ton. Rev to 3 or 4k and it'll 100% happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 11:00 AM   #4
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:

Sport+ mode.
Mine burbles and pops all the time. Not sure if that has anything to do with MT vs DCT though. When I shift from 2-3 it pops all the time when I have it in "M2" mode (Sport + everything). When I have it in "M1" mode (Comfort everything) then it's quiet as a mouse.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 12:24 PM   #5
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Efficient mode no pops or gurgles. Sport and Sport + seem to be about equal on off throttle pops. I've got the MS exhaust but don't think that changes the programming that opens the valves.

I've also noticed when on it hard and up-shifting in sport and sport + it will make a brief whoosh noise. Could be wastegate noise I suppose
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Efficient mode no pops or gurgles. Sport and Sport + seem to be about equal on off throttle pops.
S+ pops and gurgles are much more pronounced! standard exhaust
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2020, 05:33 PM   #7
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

You kind of have to rev it a bit, but also the burbles are pretty hard to hear from inside. The car makes two distinct “backfire” noises in the US, the normal burbly noises, which it does for a couple of seconds off throttle in sport and sport+ as well as a louder “braap” sound when getting off the throttle under high load/high RPM. That sound will happen even in efficient mode, and sounds just like a DSG fart. I believe I have the same setup as you, US market with a 6MT and the louder DSG fart sounding noise kinda took me by surprise as i never really heard it before the break in service.

I’m pretty sure it’s caused by the lack of BOV, as I’ve heard the S55 just overlaps the valves and blows the pressure wave right through the cylinders (which then theoretically spools the turbos from the exhaust side)
Appreciate 1
robertm449.50
      03-19-2020, 01:27 AM   #8
xxyion
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Competition xDrive

Yeah to be more specific, i get plenty of burbles driving. Its just everytime i want to take a video of the exhaust it never seems to pop quite as much...or so it seems. Its very possible that the engine isnt warm enough or i just dont rev it high enough when im doing it.

Or i maybe dont hear it. since im inside. Maybe i'll try warming up the engine and giving it a bit more throttle next time haha. It pops quite a bit when im driving her hard though so thats always great.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 01:44 AM   #9
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Yeah to be more specific, i get plenty of burbles driving. Its just everytime i want to take a video of the exhaust it never seems to pop quite as much...or so it seems. Its very possible that the engine isnt warm enough or i just dont rev it high enough when im doing it.

Or i maybe dont hear it. since im inside. Maybe i'll try warming up the engine and giving it a bit more throttle next time haha. It pops quite a bit when im driving her hard though so thats always great.
Yeah after a good solid drive it does the standing burbles. Seems to be:

3-5k revs- burbles with a softer edge to the sound more of the popcorn sounds.

5k and beyond provides more of a crackle with sharp pops and snaps.

In my 6mt a 1-2 shift in s+ with mdm and revs over 7k provides a super sharp Snap crackle pop while waiting for the insane rev hang to go down.

It's funny it stated doing it out of nowhere and now continues pretty much on command. Not sure if I'm just driving the car harder or the exhaust is braking in.

Also rapping out first to 6-7 then getting all the way out of it does a straight up machine gun sound in my car. Like 8-12 crazy pops in a row
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBbluem2 View Post
Quote:

Yeah after a good solid drive it does the standing burbles. Seems to be:

3-5k revs- burbles with a softer edge to the sound more of the popcorn sounds.

5k and beyond provides more of a crackle with sharp pops and snaps.

In my 6mt a 1-2 shift in s+ with mdm and revs over 7k provides a super sharp Snap crackle pop while waiting for the insane rev hang to go down.

It's funny it stated doing it out of nowhere and now continues pretty much on command. Not sure if I'm just driving the car harder or the exhaust is braking in.

Also rapping out first to 6-7 then getting all the way out of it does a straight up machine gun sound in my car. Like 8-12 crazy pops in a row
This may not be a popular opinion, but is there a way to code out the pops and gurgles? I seem to remember that most are not normal overrun but added by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
hlm2c
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavallone View Post
This may not be a popular opinion, but is there a way to code out the pops and gurgles? I seem to remember that most are not normal overrun but added by BMW?
BM3 can turn them off or allow you to customize the aggressiveness and the duration
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 09:37 AM   #12
robertm
Major
Rep

I was thinking this is something you could code with Bimmercode. Poking around the net a little bit it looks like this isn't a programmable option. (Maybe I'm wrong, someone will pounce on me immediately if I am)

You can just unplug the connection at the rear exhaust valve while it's closed. Then it won't open up under any conditions. Doesn't throw a code or anything.

Another option is Burger Tuning. They have a module that tunes exactly what you are looking for. Here it is:

https://burgertuning.com/products/ob...e-for-f-series
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:13 PM   #13
Mavallone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 328Xi, Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I was thinking this is something you could code with Bimmercode. Poking around the net a little bit it looks like this isn't a programmable option. (Maybe I'm wrong, someone will pounce on me immediately if I am)

You can just unplug the connection at the rear exhaust valve while it's closed. Then it won't open up under any conditions. Doesn't throw a code or anything.

Another option is Burger Tuning. They have a module that tunes exactly what you are looking for. Here it is:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlm2c View Post
Quote:
BM3 can turn them off or allow you to customize the aggressiveness and the duration
Thanks, will do some research on BM3
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 05:19 PM   #14
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Pouncer here. Yes you are wrong, it's bimmerlink not bimmercode that lets you open and shut the valves. The problem is that there isn't a memory setting and it must be done manually each time the car is powered on.

Quote:
True but you can't control the valves easily then.

Quote:
Eh, you can get a dedicated valve controller that installs and operates much neater for less:

https://www.cgprecision.com/#!/VSC-2...egory=34601196

Doesn't occupy your obd2 port and can be controlled using the garage opener
Appreciate 2
robertm449.50
      03-20-2020, 12:55 PM   #15
robertm
Major
Rep

See I knew someone would fix my gibberish

Thanks Andrew for clarifying.

I wasn't even aware of bimmerlink. I bought the Veepeak OBDII adapter with intent of using Bimmercode. I will need to do more research before making an app purchase.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 01:25 PM   #16
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
I was driving on the freeway and saw this lowered civic with exhaust making these crazy popping sounds. I'm glad i turned mine off.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      03-20-2020, 05:30 PM   #17
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Yep they're all 100% fake, made by the DME programming.

Real pops disappeared with carburetors years ago.

BM3 mapping options are fun, i turned mine down in duration but up in noise, nice sharp crackles now.
Appreciate 1