M Comp
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Why Does BMW Hate Android

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
The '17 car my wife and I bought (Chevrolet Sonic) for my mother-in-law has Android Auto and was $16-17K. My wife's '17 Escape - also has Android Auto. Meanwhile, my M2C gets a piss-poor Android 'BMW Connected App' that provides practically no added feature because it's too busy launching itself and asking me to accept terms of service. I knew it didn't have AA when I bought it, but I was hoping the app would give me something worthwhile.

Does BMW have a personal vendetta against Android, perhaps a Google exec slept with a BMW exec's wife? Android should be super easy to implement compared to Apple's ecosystem yet, here we are very close to 2020, without Android support.

TLDR: Please help us Android users out by emailing 'bmwgenius@bmwusa.com' or messaging them on social media and ask for Android support. This is something they could easily patch into existing systems - Ford added it to their models with an update.
bplewis24188.50
      02-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep

Garage List
BMW Genius email response:

Thanks for contacting the BMW Genius Team.

At this time, we do not have any information regarding plans or market decisions to offer Android Auto in the United States. We apologize for any disappointment this may cause.

Our BMW engineering and design teams are dedicated to creating vehicles that move today’s consumers and their demand for enhanced utility and more versatility. Customer feedback plays an integral role in improving product design and development. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your thoughts on Android Auto.

We encourage you to stay in touch with our latest announcements and offerings through our BMW PressClub:

https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/usa

For your convenience, BMW Genius Team members can also be reached via the BMW Genius Hotline at 1-844-4GENIUS (443-6487):
- Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Friday 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Eastern Time
- Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Time

Thank you for your feedback.
      02-08-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
cardstocks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Just a guess but I suspect it has something to do with a exclusive operating contract between BMW and Apple. For whatever reason, BMW is barred from including a competing system on their vehicles either because they paid Apple loads of money or Apple paid BMW loads of money.

As soon as that contract expires, Android will be supported
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
does your chevy sonic have ios capability too?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 04:57 PM   #5
lapoune
Rep
Drives: m2c

They're greedy. They don't want apple either (just been somewhat forced), they want people to use idrive\eventually go for paid subscriptions. Couple interviews around with these questions asked directly to them.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:11 PM   #6
ContactPatch
Major
Rep
Drives: It's Quick!

They're smart!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:13 PM   #7
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Why do you care about AA or crApple CP? You have an M2 dude! Why listen to the stereo when you have that glorious N55 symphony pouring out...oh wait...just noticed you have an M2C...uh, never mind.

Had to do it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:24 PM   #8
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post
Why do you care about AA or crApple CP? You have an M2 dude! Why listen to the stereo when you have that glorious N55 symphony pouring out...oh wait...just noticed you have an M2C...uh, never mind.

Had to do it.
lol, it's ok you wont have to hear the engine for long when he's passing you like you're in limp mode
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 05:40 PM   #9
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
does your chevy sonic have ios capability too?
Yep, it has both like they all should.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lapoune View Post
They're greedy. They don't want apple either (just been somewhat forced), they want people to use idrive\eventually go for paid subscriptions. Couple interviews around with these questions asked directly to them.
Super greedy and their reasoning in those interviews make zero sense, there's definitely something else at play which leads to them charging when other manufacturers don't.
Quote:
lol, it's ok you wont have to hear the engine for long when he's passing you like you're in limp mode
So true, can't wait till I put a tune in. Just made my raspberry pi bootmod3 wifi agent last night. As for sound, I rather hear the C6 over any BMW I've come across in my life.

There's not much to bitch at about this car, so I choose this.
      02-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #10
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic View Post
Yep, it has both like they all should.

Super greedy and their reasoning in those interviews make zero sense, there's definitely something else at play which leads to them charging when other manufacturers don't.

So true, can't wait till I put a tune in. Just made my raspberry pi bootmod3 wifi agent last night. As for sound, I rather hear the C6 over any BMW I've come across in my life.

There's not much to bitch at about this car, so I choose this.
honestly i wonder how many of the salty m2 owners have heard teh m2 competition in real life (not videos). Sounds fine to me but i really dont care about sound much.
Appreciate 2
epic131.50
paliknight2186.50
      02-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

epic the Connected App is awesome. It tells you your windows are open but hey we won't let u close them from the app. < insert sarcasm >
      02-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

BMW is out of touch when it comes to software, that’s why. I mean, they are trying to charge a subscription for CarPlay support. I get it for free (and AA) in a 20k car from Mazda. You get both in a VW Golf too.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:43 PM   #13
epic
M Comp
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
honestly i wonder how many of the salty m2 owners have heard teh m2 competition in real life (not videos). Sounds fine to me but i really dont care about sound much.
Probably very few heave heard it in person as they are pretty rare. I've heard nothing but compliments thus far, it sounds great in this cold ass Chicago weather. Come summer, I'm sure I'll put on an exhaust though lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR RIZK View Post
epic the Connected App is awesome. It tells you your windows are open but hey we won't let u close them from the app. < insert sarcasm >
Haha seriously. Such a pointless app. Great, I can send directions to my car, meanwhile I use my Pixel 3 for better nav from Google.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
BMW is out of touch when it comes to software, that’s why. I mean, they are trying to charge a subscription for CarPlay support. I get it for free (and AA) in a 20k car from Mazda. You get both in a VW Golf too.
Yeah, charging for something free is a new low for BMW. If anything, this is saving their engineers from further developing gimmick features in their iDrive system when Apple/Google do software better.

Please do email/message them - it's worth it to try flood their channels with the suggestion of adding. Being idle does nothing.

Last edited by epic; 02-08-2019 at 07:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:40 PM   #14
F87_LCI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB F87

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87_LCI View Post

Had to do it.
If it's on the stock tune...he's not passing my OG.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 08:29 PM   #15
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

From what I've been told by both Porsche and BMW trainers is that with android auto google wants WAY to much info from the consumer. Where you go, how you drive, what you are doing. everything.
So to maintain privacy of the customer both Porsche and BMW have elected NOT to have android auto in their cars.
Weather it's true or not I dunno. I find BMWs infotainment to be far superior to android auto in almost every way.
Appreciate 1
MarkDemma517.00
      02-08-2019, 08:30 PM   #16
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

It does look like BMW begrudgingly had to at least offer one of the two and there is data to back up that wealthier people typically use iPhones.

https://gizmodo.com/want-to-appear-r...one-1827431776
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
pizza240746.50
      02-09-2019, 09:47 AM   #17
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOhnoez View Post
From what I've been told by both Porsche and BMW trainers is that with android auto google wants WAY to much info from the consumer. Where you go, how you drive, what you are doing. everything.
So to maintain privacy of the customer both Porsche and BMW have elected NOT to have android auto in their cars.
Weather it's true or not I dunno. I find BMWs infotainment to be far superior to android auto in almost every way.
+1 on this.

Toyota recently gave in and also announced they would begin offering AA.

And the reason they gave for holding out so long was mostly due to AA having little to no security and was easily hackable.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      02-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
+1 on this.

And the reason they gave for holding out so long was mostly due to AA having little to no security and was easily hackable.
That’s not correct at all. It’s a very limited API. CarPlay and AA are surely both way more secure than the rest of your infotainment system written by Bosch contractors and have a small attack surface.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:11 PM   #19
MMMBRAP
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMMBRAP View Post
+1 on this.

That’s not correct at all. It’s a very limited API. CarPlay and AA are surely both way more secure than the rest of your infotainment system written by Bosch contractors and have a small attack surface.
If that's the case then I don't know. *shrug*

https://www.motor1.com/news/304609/t...auto-vehicles/
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #20
pizza240
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Competition xDrive

https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9...e-android-auto

"The publication says that Android Auto tracks variables including vehicle speed, throttle position, fluid temperatures, and engine revs, information that is collated and then sent back to Google. Apple's CarPlay, on the other hand, only checks with the car's powertrain control module to ensure that the vehicle is moving. Porsche was apparently unwilling to enter a deal that would send reams of information back to Google — partly, Motor Trend says, because the manufacturer thinks those details make its high-end autos special, and partly because Google itself is in the midst of building its own car."

Information is $$$. BMW and Porsche have arguably the best driving cars on the planet.

Aside: I don't need Google knowing how often I'm needlessly going sideways (and where).
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:19 PM   #21
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Lol this.

LMAO at AA and CarPlay security concerns when I could just plug a usb stick and go to town. At least with Mazda you had to SSH but their password was literally "admin" so :

Ppl seem to now care a lot about security yet most applications they use on a day to day basis have the worst security posture I've ever seen. Have the POS solutions you pay your coffee with store your CC as plain text in the dB. PCI compliance be damned.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizza240 View Post
https://www.theverge.com/2015/10/6/9...e-android-auto

"The publication says that Android Auto tracks variables including vehicle speed, throttle position, fluid temperatures, and engine revs, information that is collated and then sent back to Google. Apple's CarPlay, on the other hand, only checks with the car's powertrain control module to ensure that the vehicle is moving. Porsche was apparently unwilling to enter a deal that would send reams of information back to Google — partly, Motor Trend says, because the manufacturer thinks those details make its high-end autos special, and partly because Google itself is in the midst of building its own car."

Information is $$$. BMW and Porsche have arguably the best driving cars on the planet.

Aside: I don't need Google knowing how often I'm needlessly going sideways (and where).

You don't trust google but you trust bmw? Lol. At least with google I don't get a .NET YSOD with a full blown stacktrace when I visit bmwfinancial.

You know with Google or Apple you have to agree to the terms and you have to initialize AA or CarPlay. It's not like automagically it links to your phone and starts pushing your data around.

Users that aren't paranoid, want options. Give them AA and let THEM decide if the privacy bit is a concern, not some noob in BMW who can't build a simple financial portal without security failboats.

Btw I own iPhones but this Android boogeyman is getting rehashed by old people who don't understand tech.
Appreciate 0