BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Akrapovic BMW M2 Competition Exhaust Now Available to Pre-order

01-15-2019, 02:52 AM   #45
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: M2C

Any news about the start of deliveries for "preorders"?
The dealer I ordered first confirmed the end of January, after returned with a new deadline: end of February.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2019, 10:09 PM   #46
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

It'd be interesting to hear it on a US spec car.

Also, why is the US one priced so much higher than the EU one? $4900 vs €3890 which is $4,300 US. Hmmm.
      01-18-2019, 03:49 PM   #47
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
It'd be interesting to hear it on a US spec car.

Also, why is the US one priced so much higher than the EU one? $4900 vs €3890 which is $4,300 US. Hmmm.
Shipping cost mostly I think...

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 07:05 PM   #48
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Shipping cost mostly I think...

MR
Yeah but it ships by boat in bulk which is generally pretty cheap...

hmm.
      01-19-2019, 04:49 AM   #49
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Yeah but it ships by boat in bulk which is generally pretty cheap...

hmm.
Not sure they do that I think it is mostly single orders I think... At least that is what happens here in Europe mostly.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 04:50 AM   #50
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
For anyone here interested...

I am testing the down pipes and the special sound kit for the link pipe over the coming weeks. They are on their way to me.

MR
Appreciate 2
StavsM2C119.00
      01-22-2019, 12:48 AM   #51
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

From the sound clips posted in OP, M2C with Akrapovic slip_on + Link_Pipe is good enough for a turbocharged 6 cylinder to today's standard. This is speaking from a N55 M2 (MPE + High Flow Cat + Free Flow Turbine) user.

I've always believed that the car should sound like what it is. Decibel is what the M cars of today shouldn't have. A little more grunt with no raspy like the Akra equipped M2C from the clips are more than just fine.

IMO, the perfect note for the turbocharged M should be the one from M177/M178 of AMG, maybe to a lesser extent.
      01-22-2019, 08:46 AM   #52
StavsM2C
CSOUSAX603
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 M2C SO DCT+EP

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2  [0.00]
2017 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
For anyone here interested...

I am testing the down pipes and the special sound kit for the link pipe over the coming weeks. They are on their way to me.

MR
So pumped to hear this on your car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 09:52 AM   #53
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep

Marc,

Considering your contacts at Akrapovic do you have any ideea when the delivery starts for pre-orders?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 11:34 AM   #54
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
Price is too cheap. I can't have all of these non-millionaire's owning the same exhaust as me... disgusting!
LOL except you drive a poverty BMW so who cares what exhaust goes on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 03:44 PM   #55
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ41BIG View Post
Marc,

Considering your contacts at Akrapovic do you have any ideea when the delivery starts for pre-orders?
When was your order placed? Immediately when pre-ordering opened?

I expect the first ones to arrive mid-March, but that is unconfirmed. Akrapovic cannot give me any date. They say around March, and nothing more.

MR
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 04:08 PM   #56
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep

I do not know exactly when it was opened pre-order...I placed the order through a dealer from Romania on December 17th.
Every night I watch the racech clip, with akra and I imagine how it sounds.....
I hope not to be disappointed by the slip on.....because instant "I give it out from the warranty" and order the linkpipe ))
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 09:59 AM   #57
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep

That's new! akrapovic added a final touch
.. they cut the outer pipes to sound louder.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2019, 02:43 PM   #58
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I do not know exactly when it was opened pre-order...I placed the order through a dealer from Romania on December 17th.
I hope not to be disappointed by the slip on.....because instant "I give it out from the warranty" and order the linkpipe ))
You did not watch my clips :P If you are near Prague let me know and I will have you drive my car.

For everyone here, I made a comparison between the Akrapovic and Eisenmann full catback system. Video and our thoughts (of both owners) follows soon.

MR
Appreciate 1
      02-03-2019, 03:30 AM   #59
crazyzxf
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You did not watch my clips :P If you are near Prague let me know and I will have you drive my car.

For everyone here, I made a comparison between the Akrapovic and Eisenmann full catback system. Video and our thoughts (of both owners) follows soon.

MR
Looking forward to the vids!
      02-03-2019, 11:40 AM   #60
CJ41BIG
Private
Romania
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

MR
I think I've seen all videos with akrapovic m2c...
yours first because they were the first ones

I was saying about racechip because there is presented with motion picture and perception is better.

if it happens to be in Praga I give a sign before, otherwise Cluj-Napoca and Prague are more than 1000 km
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:10 AM   #61
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think I've seen all videos with akrapovic m2c...
yours first because they were the first ones

I was saying about racechip because there is presented with motion picture and perception is better.

if it happens to be in Praga I give a sign before, otherwise Cluj-Napoca and Prague are more than 1000 km
I prefer no movement since it let's you focus on the sound, not on the movement

MR
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:51 AM   #62
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
As discussed over the weekend, Luis (StLuis51) and I have made a comparison of our exhaust systems. Both are prototypes and both have been fitted to different types of cars. Mine is a EU-spec M2C with a DCT and it is outfitted with the Akrapovic Slip-On plus Linkpipe making it a full cat-back system, and Luis has a US-spec M2C with a manual with the full cat-back system from Eisenmann with the normal end damper.

The video below shows the difference between both exhausts. First of all, we compared a static rev in valve closed and valve open mode. The clear difference between the systems in all modes is the tone. The Eisenmann is a lot higher pitched. The high pitch tone on the overrun is a lot louder than the Akrapovic exhaust and when you rev it to the max it even hurt my ears when I was just standing 2 meters from it. It is that loud valves open.

The main reason is the way the exhaust is build. You will see on the Eisenmann that all four pipes come from the same end damper. The Akrapovic has a bypass for the outer two pipes. These pipes are valved, while the Eisenmann has both inner pipes valved. This is where the main difference lies between valve closed mode on the Akrapovic and on the Eisenmann. The Akrapovic is almost as silent as stock when the valves are closed. The Eisenmann screams at you even if the valves are closed.

From a sound level point of view we would be looking at like level 7 valve closed with the Akrapovic, level 10 with the Eisenmann. When the valves are open, it becomes level 12 with the Akrapovic and 13 with the Eisenmann. The Eisenmann always feels a touch louder due to its higher pitched tune with higher revs, even though the dB value seems to be quite similar. In the end, the camera did not really pick up that high pitch sound track.

On the subject of the burbles, the Akrapovic takes the win. The sound track of the Akrapovic is more characterful, deeper and wider. The Eisenmann wins on the high pitch level of the soundtrack, sound volume and the crackles at the top end, which the Handycam camera (without external mic) never recorded unfortunately. It is almost impossible to pick those up.

On the inside, the Akrapovic has more tone across the range due to its lower and wider nature of the sound track. It fills the cabin more than the Eisenmann does. The Eisenmann is similar in its volume level, but less “cabin filling” due to its high pitch and less darker or bombastic sound track. This is just a difference in tone and resonance.

All in all, the clear difference between the two is tone and character. The Akrapovic system gives you more freedom between being relatively quiet and loud due to the type of valve control. The Eisenmann system is either loud or a touch louder than already loud, there is no under the radar mode so to speak. The Akrapovic exhaust has a more characterful sound track, deeper, less shouty, you could call it more sophisticated. The Eisenmann is way more in your face, shouty and out there for everyone to hear every single time you drive the car.

In some ways, you could compare the two sound wise (not looks wise ) as a baritone signer in a suite offering a controlled overture when you prefer (Akrapovic) versus Christina Aguilera in a funky dress trying to reach that high note every single time to rev it to the max (Eisenmann). That is how it felt after we tested both.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 02-04-2019 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 3
Karlosm2c290.50
StLuis51457.50
CrazyK104.50
      02-04-2019, 10:33 AM   #63
twintiga
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Marc,

Are there any Akrapovic exhausts in the US market for the M2c or is this still I’m development stages? Let’s get one out here
So we can hear how it sounds on a US car. Am I right to assume that the US market is the largest potential market for Akrapovic.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:39 AM   #64
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
Marc, Are there any Akrapovic exhausts in the US market for the M2c or is this still I’m development stages? Let’s get one out here. So we can hear how it sounds on a US car. Am I right to assume that the US market is the largest potential market for Akrapovic.
US market will start deliveries in March as well. Not sure there is one in the U.S. already. They are looking at fitting one on a US car for testing locally in Europe.

It will sound the same on a EU or US spec car if you go full cat-back. Only thing that will be different is when you fit a slip-on, your midpipe doesn't have OPFs of course.

MR
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      02-04-2019, 11:39 AM   #65
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
As discussed over the weekend, Luis (StLuis51) and I have made a comparison of our exhaust systems. Both are prototypes and both have been fitted to different types of cars. Mine is a EU-spec M2C with a DCT and it is outfitted with the Akrapovic Slip-On plus Linkpipe making it a full cat-back system, and Luis has a US-spec M2C with a manual with the full cat-back system from Eisenmann with the normal end damper.

MR
Both exhausts sound really sweet
      02-12-2019, 11:19 AM   #66
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by twintiga View Post
Marc, Are there any Akrapovic exhausts in the US market for the M2c or is this still I'm development stages? Let's get one out here. So we can hear how it sounds on a US car. Am I right to assume that the US market is the largest potential market for Akrapovic.
US market will start deliveries in March as well. Not sure there is one in the U.S. already. They are looking at fitting one on a US car for testing locally in Europe.

It will sound the same on a EU or US spec car if you go full cat-back. Only thing that will be different is when you fit a slip-on, your midpipe doesn't have OPFs of course.

MR
Awesome information and detail.

For us in the US - what impact do you suppose not having the OPF in the mid pipe will have on the sound characteristics in a slip on application? My initial hunch is it will get louder, but not sure if it'll be a "good" louder or not.

Thanks!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0