BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Mpe new wiring solution to avoid bt

12-01-2018, 08:39 PM   #23
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Ok, more research.

So the actual part numbers:
Most BMWs - 18308632154
M cars - 18307851568

From the pictures they look identical - https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18307851568/ and https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18308632154/

Basically the test is gonna be to measure the OEM plug (that's disconnected when you install MPE) and the MPE plug. If the output is the same we win and the Y harness should work.
Wish I could help but I don't have the MPE.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:56 AM   #24
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

Ordered the cable will let you know if it works.
Also, I have a spare JB4 from my F80 with these connectors all over it.

Appears signal power and ground is sent to the controllers with ground jumpered between the two. You could make one of these if you can source the connectors.

Should have it Friday and I'll let you guys know.
gily88.50
      12-04-2018, 01:43 AM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post

Appears signal power and ground is sent to the controllers with ground jumpered between the two. You could make one of these if you can source the connectors.

You sir are the MVP for the week in my books.

Please keep us updated!
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:

Hey! Do you have any good news from the harness??
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:27 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beppeM3+123d View Post
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #28
f50nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, 89 M3, 18 M2

In for updates. Been wanting this solution for a while. I actually returned my MPE before installing because I hated the BT remote. Valves should be controlled by driving modes.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:25 PM   #29
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
Sad this thread died. Was hopeful we’d see an update by now.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 12:55 PM   #30
f50nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 02 M Coupe, 89 M3, 18 M2

Agreed. The same solution was referenced at the end of this other thread but not yet verified:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24294069&posted=1#post24294069
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:41 PM   #31
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
+1
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingman View Post
So I did some testing. Unfortunately the non-M valve doesn't work with the BT controller so I would suspect the M valve won't work with the DME
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 06:35 AM   #32
beppeM3+123d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 dct + 123d e81

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
+1
Quote:
Quote:
So I did some testing. Unfortunately the non-M valve doesn't work with the BT controller so I would suspect the M valve won't work with the DME
Try if the oem valve can be fitted in the exhaust, in order to mantain oem cable and y cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 05:32 PM   #33
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
+1
Quote:
Quote:
Sad this thread died. Was hopeful we'd see an update by now.
Try if the oem valve can be fitted in the exhaust, in order to mantain oem cable and y cable.
That Y cable the OP posted appears to work with the m240i and 340i. There's an actuator that works with those cars on ECS for $100 each. Incidentally it also listed the M2 as working with that actuator. I'm making the assumption that it's the stock actuator on our car.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18308632154/

As someone noted the MPE has different actuator numbers. Is someone able to find out if those can be removed and the actuator above can be placed on the MPE? If that's so we could be in business. Additionally can anyone source what cables the M3/M4 use? That could go a long way towards this answer.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18307851568/

Is this the MPE actuator? And if so how do we source the cable that these plug into? Would it work with the M2?

You're looking at $200 in the cable and 1 more actuator(assuming the one on our cars is the same one listed) to try this out.

It seems Remus may or may not use OEM actuators. I reached out to them to find out and to understand what cable they use to get it to work with the drive mode button.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:58 PM   #34
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0YS View Post
As someone noted the MPE has different actuator numbers. Is someone able to find out if those can be removed and the actuator above can be placed on the MPE? If that's so we could be in business. Additionally can anyone source what cables the M3/M4 use? That could go a long way towards this answer.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...r/18307851568/

Is this the MPE actuator? And if so how do we source the cable that these plug into? Would it work with the M2?

You're looking at $200 in the cable and 1 more actuator(assuming the one on our cars is the same one listed) to try this out.

It seems Remus may or may not use OEM actuators. I reached out to them to find out and to understand what cable they use to get it to work with the drive mode button.
Yes, the MPE uses the M3/M4 actuators and those don't seem to be compatible with the signal from the F87. The solution you are describing should work (one more non-M actuator and Y cable), the physical shape of the actuators is identical.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:37 PM   #35
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the MPE uses the M3/M4 actuators and those don't seem to be compatible with the signal from the F87. The solution you are describing should work (one more non-M actuator and Y cable), the physical shape of the actuators is identical.
dang wish someone could work this out lol.
      02-23-2019, 07:40 PM   #36
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Quote:
dang wish someone could work this out lol.
I hope I helped some, ended up getting a killer deal on a Remus system
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #37
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
From the looks of it, the stock exhaust and MPE actuators are the same physical size so they should be interchangeable.

All we need is someone to take the actuator from their stock exhaust, install on on the MPE exhaust and plug it in one side and see if it works with the stock controls.

No Y cable or secondary actuator is needed for the test. If it works, then we'll need the Y cable and secondary actuator to open the second valve within the MPE.

My MPE was port installed, so I don't have the factory exhaust handy to borrow the actuator from. If no-one else steps up, I'll buy a factory actuator and test it as soon as it's warm enough in the northeast to work on my car.
      03-04-2019, 06:16 PM   #38
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I posted this in another thread, but posting here for more visibility. Just so everyone knows, this solution won't give independent valve control via the M modes.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #39
MWelt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 Mineral Grey DCT

NothingMan where in notheast are you as I have a stock exhaust that you can have for free .
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 07:58 PM   #40
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I posted this in another thread, but posting here for more visibility. Just so everyone knows, this solution won't give independent valve control via the M modes.
Why are you saying it won't work? Because, "In the higher gears, the exhaust flap is closed in the critical ranges. The same applies in the upper engine speed ranges depending on the load"? I've never had the car with anything other than the MPE, so does this mean the valve closes during partial throttle (assumed) and opens at full throttle? I'm thinking the actuator swap may still work; just not as everyone as hoping. I'm still willing to give it a try and report my findings to the group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWelt View Post
NothingMan where in northeast are you as I have a stock exhaust that you can have for free .
That's a nice offer, MWelt, thanks! I'm in Baltimore but travel up through New England regularly for work and could arrange to meet you in RI. I'll PM you.
      03-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #41
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Why are you saying it won't work? Because, "In the higher gears, the exhaust flap is closed in the critical ranges. The same applies in the upper engine speed ranges depending on the load"? I've never had the car with anything other than the MPE, so does this mean the valve closes during partial throttle (assumed) and opens at full throttle? I'm thinking the actuator swap may still work; just not as everyone as hoping. I'm still willing to give it a try and report my findings to the group.
Correct. I wasn't saying it won't work (it might), but I was saying that it won't give independent valve control via the M modes, like others are assuming... Meaning the valves won't always be closed in comfort mode, and won't always be open in sport modes. The car would automatically open and close them based on gear, driving speed, and rpm... as better explained in the picture I posted.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2019, 06:16 PM   #42
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
Correct. I wasn't saying it won't work (it might), but I was saying that it won't give independent valve control via the M modes, like others are assuming... Meaning the valves won't always be closed in comfort mode, and won't always be open in sport modes. The car would automatically open and close them based on gear, driving speed, and rpm... as better explained in the picture I posted.
Yeah, that's steering me away from this solution and towards hacking the controller and hardwiring a switch or adapting the CGS controller.
I will continue to post updates here if I make progress.
For now I reconnected the BT and use it as intended. I don't use the loud mode as much as I used to
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:14 AM   #43
Joakim_79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i 2018

I have the electronics for the MPE laying around and an original actuator (18308632154) and exhaust from a M235i that is non MPE. I connected the non MPE actuator to the MPE electronics and then switched it on. I can confirm that the non MPE actuator is not compatible with the MPE electronics.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #44
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim_79 View Post
I have the electronics for the MPE laying around and an original actuator (18308632154) and exhaust from a M235i that is non MPE. I connected the non MPE actuator to the MPE electronics and then switched it on. I can confirm that the non MPE actuator is not compatible with the MPE electronics.
Can you clarify what you mean the non-MPE actuator isn’t compatible with the MPE electronics? Did you put the non-MPE/stock actuator onto an MPE exhaust and see if it opens the valve? We all know the stock actuator originally opened the stock exhaust valve, so the question is whether it would open the MPE exhaust valve(s) if moved over. I can’t tell from your post whether that’s what you attempted.
Appreciate 0