BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Blue coming off M Performance Steering Wheel

09-16-2018, 10:47 AM   #1
TXF87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2018 X5

Blue coming off M Performance Steering Wheel

I suppose a damp microfiber cloth was just too much for cleaning the blue section of the steering wheel. I didn't think I was applying that much pressure. My immediate reaction was to ask for a replacement under warranty...I think I paid nearly $2,000 for it when I bought the car. But if it's a simple fix I'd rather just know what to do so I can handle it in the future should I again use my super human strength whilst wiping the interior.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #2
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

Get light blue https://the-sore-feet-store.myshopif...gs-leather-dye
Appreciate 2
kfscoll208.50
MPBK449.00
      09-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #3
TXF87
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2018 X5

Awesome! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXF87 View Post
I suppose a damp microfiber cloth was just too much for cleaning the blue section of the steering wheel. I didn't think I was applying that much pressure. My immediate reaction was to ask for a replacement under warranty...I think I paid nearly $2,000 for it when I bought the car. But if it's a simple fix I'd rather just know what to do so I can handle it in the future should I again use my super human strength whilst wiping the interior.
Worth noting this happened to me on the black part of the steering wheel. There is a section that is noticeably lighter because the dye has been coming up when cleaning. It's not even a point that I touch that often because I don't drive around gangsta style.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 05:29 PM   #5
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Wow, not good. You were just using water? I just installed mine a couple of days back and want to know what NOT to do. If waters not safe I can’t imagine what the hell is.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 04:01 PM   #6
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Wow, not good. You were just using water? I just installed mine a couple of days back and want to know what NOT to do. If waters not safe I can’t imagine what the hell is.
In my experience, a mf cloth + leather cleaner can be pretty rough on the more delicate-looking leather surfaces if used with any amount of decent pressure.

I would usually go with a horsehair brush + leather cleaner to start, lightly agitating the dirt on the surface. Then gently wipe off the grime with mf cloth. You could try that first.
Appreciate 1
Spare°257.50
      12-02-2018, 03:42 AM   #7
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpvince View Post
In my experience, a mf cloth + leather cleaner can be pretty rough on the more delicate-looking leather surfaces if used with any amount of decent pressure.

I would usually go with a horsehair brush + leather cleaner to start, lightly agitating the dirt on the surface. Then gently wipe off the grime with mf cloth. You could try that first.
Exactly this. The dye came off my previous BMW as well. Not taking any risks this time: brush with leather cleaner only.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:51 AM   #8
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Quote:

What are you doing to the steering wheel that would make it so dirty it needed this much cleaning?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
cpvince
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3, 2016 X5 M Sport

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

What are you doing to the steering wheel that would make it so dirty it needed this much cleaning?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Quote:

It's actually quite the opposite. Not dirty at all. When I start noticing a slight sheen on the surface due to the transfer of oils from my hands, I'll use the brush and leather cleaner to clean it off in order to maintain the matte finish. I'm very particular about my cars lol
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #10
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, get a pack of baby wipes. You'll then be able to quickly and non-abrasively (and in a completely bleach and solvent free way) be able to restore the original finish.

Inexpensive too.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 03:02 PM   #11
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Unhappy

So, I'm cleaning the interior of the car and ran my damp microfiber cloth over my steering wheel to get that annoying blotch that ended up on my blue stripe. I think I remembered this thread at the exact same moment, which is to say: too late.

I guess my next question is whether anyone on the thread tried the blue dye noted in the earlier post. The link still works.

Still pissed.
Appreciate 0