BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > OPF queries: did I just open a box of Pandora or am I lost in a manic brainstorm?

08-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #89
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Bootmod3 (BM3) and BPM are two of them that I'm 100% sure implemented flash counter freeze maybe 8-10 months ago.
Bring it on... One step taken

Oh I want to create a M2 CSL so badly.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #90
dmboone25
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2024 Golf R / 2022 718 Spyder

Garage List
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
2007 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Bootmod3 (BM3) and BPM are two of them that I'm 100% sure implemented flash counter freeze maybe 8-10 months ago.
You have the CS tune on your F82, right? Or you did?

Are these OBD-II flashes?

Please forgive my poor recollection.
      08-02-2018, 02:03 PM   #91
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25 View Post
Quote:
You have the CS tune on your F82, right? Or you did?

Are these OBD-II flashes?

Please forgive my poor recollection.
I didn't have any tune on my F82 but I'll be getting the M4 CS tune for my M2C. Yes, these are OBD II flashes
Appreciate 1
dmboone254972.00
      08-02-2018, 02:22 PM   #92
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
Bring it on... One step taken

Oh I want to create a M2 CSL so badly.

MR
You can freeze the counter but there are likely other breadcrumbs in a system as complicated as these. They won't go looking unless you have a really big engine related warranty claim though. Just don't spin your crank hub.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:28 PM   #93
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
You can freeze the counter but there are likely other breadcrumbs in a system as complicated as these. They won't go looking unless you have a really big engine related warranty claim though. Just don't spin your crank hub.
Depends per market and per dealer... Some do, some don't, also depends on your relationship with your dealer.

I had enough of that shit with dealers before... I tuned my engine heavily with other turbos, etc and then my navigation system broke... No warranty they said. In the end, I had a free repaired navigation system, but the stress and talks that were needed.

And since I am living in a country where I cannot have a full discussion in the local language it is always a bit sketchy. It is not an easy thing to say the least.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #94
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Tuner I work for has acquired a new tool following our talks and it offers flash counter freeze as well.

We are getting somewhere, guys... #endtheopf

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #95
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
Personally, I think all this talk of OPF removal, flash tunes to remove it, flash tune counter resets to fool the dealer, is just madness.

The warranty is in essence an insurance policy. It's based on certain conditions as per typical. The obvious one here is that the car is kept standard, as well as others.

Let's use a different situation.

I have an insurance policy for a car. Part of that is that it's kept in my secure garage every night. After some time I decide to keep it outside. I also decide to just keep the keys in it. 3 months later it is stolen.
Do I mention I left the keys in it?
Do I pretend that it was in the garage?

This is the same situation to me.

Maybe I'm just old/sad/cautious.

Maybe it's my knowledge of how records are kept (in NZ) - being that once you've been implicated in a fraudulent situation (whether it went to court or not) you're added to a register that insurance, finance, and other large private companies can see. I'm not a large company but I pay to have any potential new employee checked against this register; as trust is a major component of the service we sell.

Heck, even all that aside; one of the main reasons I can justify the huge depreciation losses of buying a new car is the peace of mind of the warranty.

With all that said, I'm still looking forward to seeing what solutions roll out over the coming years - OPF filter removal, which tunes provide the best gains while retaining OEM reliability characteristics etc.

Because if I still have the car in 5 years when it comes off warranty, then I'll be interested.
I understand 100% what you're saying.
But I look at it like this: Many(if not 100%) of the M2C customers do not want the OPF filter obstructing power/performance. It's put inthere by BMW. Because of environmental regulations/law. Those regulations come from governments.
I alway vote. But I never voted for this crap as far as I know(NL/EU) but still, the OPF filter is there. 'against our will' sort of.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 2
mikeahso411.50
Phound0.00
      08-03-2018, 05:33 AM   #96
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeahso View Post
Personally, I think all this talk of OPF removal, flash tunes to remove it, flash tune counter resets to fool the dealer, is just madness.

The warranty is in essence an insurance policy. It's based on certain conditions as per typical. The obvious one here is that the car is kept standard, as well as others.

Let's use a different situation.

I have an insurance policy for a car. Part of that is that it's kept in my secure garage every night. After some time I decide to keep it outside. I also decide to just keep the keys in it. 3 months later it is stolen.
Do I mention I left the keys in it?
Do I pretend that it was in the garage?

This is the same situation to me.

Maybe I'm just old/sad/cautious.

Maybe it's my knowledge of how records are kept (in NZ) - being that once you've been implicated in a fraudulent situation (whether it went to court or not) you're added to a register that insurance, finance, and other large private companies can see. I'm not a large company but I pay to have any potential new employee checked against this register; as trust is a major component of the service we sell.

Heck, even all that aside; one of the main reasons I can justify the huge depreciation losses of buying a new car is the peace of mind of the warranty.

With all that said, I'm still looking forward to seeing what solutions roll out over the coming years - OPF filter removal, which tunes provide the best gains while retaining OEM reliability characteristics etc.

Because if I still have the car in 5 years when it comes off warranty, then I'll be interested.
I understand 100% what you're saying.
But I look at it like this: Many(if not 100%) of the M2C customers do not want the OPF filter obstructing power/performance. It's put inthere by BMW. Because of environmental regulations/law. Those regulations come from governments.
I alway vote. But I never voted for this crap as far as I know(NL/EU) but still, the OPF filter is there. 'against our will' sort of.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say

Cheers
Robin
If we find a way, then I am of course available to help you get rid of that thing at Beek Auto Racing in The Hague.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 05:52 AM   #97
Snoopy92
Private
France
Rep
Drives: M2C

I am all in for OPF ... but not on my car

More seriously, I think OPF should go on mass production cars, not sports cars that are driven on the weekend or rarely by other drivers on a daily basis.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 06:21 AM   #98
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
If we find a way, then I am of course available to help you get rid of that thing at Beek Auto Racing in The Hague.

MR

Good idea.

And then in the meanwhile we both can demonstrate @Malieveld/Binnenhof/Buitenhof(Dutch Government seat in The Hague) against the OPF while Beek Autoracing is getting rid of that thing!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:47 AM   #99
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy92 View Post
I am all in for OPF ... but not on my car

More seriously, I think OPF should go on mass production cars, not sports cars that are driven on the weekend or rarely by other drivers on a daily basis.
I drove my M2 26,000 kms in the first six months... You could call that a daily driver

Quote:
Good idea.

And then in the meanwhile we both can demonstrate @Malieveld/Binnenhof/Buitenhof(Dutch Government seat in The Hague) against the OPF while Beek Autoracing is getting rid of that thing!

Cheers
Robin
Marc Rutten showing Mark Rutte how it is really done... (Nobody will understand this joke, only us Dutchies).

When I am back in NL, I will let you know and we can meet up at BAR. As we always say, "the coffee is always ready".

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 09:35 AM   #100
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
I drove my M2 26,000 kms in the first six months... You could call that a daily driver

Marc Rutten showing Mark Rutte how it is really done... (Nobody will understand this joke, only us Dutchies).

When I am back in NL, I will let you know and we can meet up at BAR. As we always say, "the coffee is always ready".

MR

I didn't want to make that joke for you, because you're already getting really tired of it I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rutte

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:14 AM   #101
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't want to make that joke for you, because you're already getting really tired of it I guess.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Rutte

Cheers
Robin
That time has passed... No more messages wishing me all the best for the evening TV debate r people swearing at me for all kinds of stuff I never suggested or did... Or suggestions of having coffee with the right wing leader.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:56 AM   #102
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That would sound easier than done. The signals are not based on single on/off but have to follow a table or graph of values. Nothing is impossible of course, but it is not an easy 1-2-3. All depends on the market and its demand, the products will follow easily if the demand is there.

If I look at this photo below and check the details from the M4 OPF set up, it seems to me that the OPF sensor is not located at the OPF itself but before at the end of the down pipes.

The OPF's are like on my photos (I checked them a minute ago placed just in front of the center muffler and about a meter away from the end of the down pipes. There is no cable or sensor visible, but I haven't got photos of both sides of them.

In the case of the M4, which is quite similar I think to the M2C, the pressure sensor seems to exist at the end of the down pipes. That means that you can remove the OPF filter and fit a complete cat-back system without issues.

Only issue is replacing the down pipes since that is another sensor set up, but let's wait and see what can be done. I will have to make some photos of the set up of my car as soon as it is there to see how the exhaust runs and where the sensors are.

MR
Looks like not such a big issue then...

Can get rid of the OPFs all together and use piggyback to maintain or increase boost and adjust fuel trim and suppress signals from the OPF sensors...

Remove the piggyback + reinstall OPFs when going for a service
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:18 PM   #103
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Looks like not such a big issue then...

Can get rid of the OPFs all together and use piggyback to maintain or increase boost and adjust fuel trim and suppress signals from the OPF sensors...

Remove the piggyback + reinstall OPFs when going for a service
Yup that is the plan for now! Also we are working on a tune that is not discover-able by the dealer without having them do a lot of effort.

MR
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 08:44 PM   #104
TTBear
Captain
Rep
Drives: '20 Huracán/'19 M2Comp/'23 X4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbahoshy View Post
Anyone know if Canada will get the same cars as the US without the OPF ?
I would like to know this, as well.

Anyone know?
      08-04-2018, 05:57 AM   #105
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
There is nothing safety about it clogging up. If it clogs the engine will not run right, not a safety thing.

I think the European OBDII standards are less strict than the OBDII standards in the U.S. We have the most strict OBDII standards. OBDII is what dictates what sensors need to be in the filter. Because the OBD system for the U.S. in the car needs to know when the filter is not working.

Also in the U.S. We call this filter a GPF (Gas Particulate Filter), similar to the well known DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter).

Not sure why people are calling this OPF, not accurate in the U.S.
They call it OPF because this is the correct naming here in Europe or at least the German speaking part

OttoPartikelFilter: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottopartikelfilter
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8716.00
      08-04-2018, 06:13 AM   #106
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
They call it OPF because this is the correct naming here in Europe or at least the German speaking part

OttoPartikelFilter: https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottopartikelfilter
Exactly:

Mr. Otto was the inventor of the 4 stroke internal combustion petrol(gasoline) engine:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolaus_Otto

The man was born about 60kms/40 miles from where Nürburgring is situated now. Not a coincidence

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2018, 06:23 AM   #107
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Nikolaus Otto's son, Gustav Otto was founder of Bayerische Motoren Werke AG (in short BMW, yes that one) alongside Karl Rapp.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gustav_Otto

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
KevM2721.50
      08-11-2018, 08:12 PM   #108
bwhouse
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BSM M2C

So it has been bugging me that I couldn't work out if my car (Australian delivery) that was technically a EURO build was going to come with the dreaded OPF filter.

I think I have managed to work it out. Based on WebETK, it looks like the EURO builds 2U71 and 2U72 have an option S1DEA which specifies what exhaust they get, it changes the part numbers for both the downpipes and the center muffler.

So I double checked my VIN and sure enough no S1DEA option on the build list. The only Euro VIN could find was one of the early test cars vb08368 and sure enough, it has the S1DEA option.

So if I am right Australian delivered cars have no OPF and once you have your VIN you can check if you are getting OPF or not. Would be great if someone who has a VIN for e Euro car could check their build and see if it includes "S1DEA Exhaust Emission Standards EU6 RDE".
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
MR RIZK757.50
yawn55.50
Davil6523.00
      08-12-2018, 01:35 AM   #109
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

I hope u are right as that would be awesome

Checked my AU vin and S1DEA is not there
      08-12-2018, 02:19 AM   #110
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Yes, BMW AU confirmed that no OPF for the Australian market

Get your dealer to send them an email and they will reply

Last edited by Karmic Man; 08-12-2018 at 02:27 AM..
Appreciate 0