07-24-2018, 10:32 PM   #45
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
2018 golf R, 0-60 in 4.3 seconds. M2 competition 0-60 in 4.0 seconds. Stage one tune adds about 65hp to the R, not sure how much faster it goes. Starts to be a real comparison. Of course the R is $42k and the M2 is $65k.
A car is more than it's statistics, e.g. HP, 0-60 time, etc.

The two cars are really different.

The one way that the cars are similar is that (within their own classes) they offer a lot of bang for the buck. They are also similar in that they are extreme outliers for both of their manufacturers, e.g., not representative of what the manufacturers are producing, today.
      09-14-2018, 11:52 AM   #46
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Thought I would weigh in to the extent that I can. Warning - therapy session ahead:

I have had my '18 R for about 4 mos now. It's, as everyone says, an incredibly good DD, especially in a world with fewer and fewer 4 door 6MT options from which to choose. Early this year my wife lost her job and I also had recently purchased a 3rd car for my teen daughter. So I tearfully cashed out my equity in my bucket list F80 and just drove the Mini Cooper I'd bought originally for my daughter.

At first the mini was a revelation - the whole 'slow car fast' thing was awesome - so much fun. And I did that for a few months until my wife was back on her feet with her job. But I realized that I didn't enjoy the F80 as much as one should enjoy a $70k car, and I decided to also try to be a little more financially responsible the second time around. Also a new feeling for me . So I gave the Mini to my daughter and taught her to drive a stick (save the manuals!) and test drove a bunch of cars like the STI, WRX, Focus, GTI, M2, and decided eventually on the R. Paid something close to $38k for it on a $41k sticker.

It's well built, lots of tech, spacious, practical, really quick, and (hopefully soon) pretty tunable for a little more grunt. I don't love it like I did either of my BMWs, but I do like it a lot. It is, for the most part, an invisible car, even in the cool blue color like I got. Not a lot of compliments or second looks if one cares about that. Having done the M3 and the 340i thing before this, it's a better fit for a DD and suburban life as a family dad. You can park it outside at night, drive into a store parking lot and actually park like normal person in a close open spot without worrying about what might happen to it, door dings, etc. SO much less stressful to own, even when staring down the barrel of a hurricane like earlier this week (stay safe, NC/SC!).

BUT - and this is what I've wrestled with constantly since buying it - it's just not a special car. It's arguably more fun on a back road than my F80 was (mostly because you can actually drive it hard without going straight to jail), but you don't get out afterward and look back at it as you walk away.

My wife hated me for weeks after I Forest-Gumped my way into the F80, but she still asked to drive it ALL the time. And to this day, she still thinks my 340i was the perfect car. She's never once asked to drive the R.

For those that can have afford to have both, I think the Golf R still isn't a great match with the M-series cars. If I could have a second weekend /toy car, I'd probably go Pcar or something esoteric. Not that the Mcars aren't great - they are, but there's just something not right about the F80/F30 steering, and I felt it too in the M2 to a lesser degree when I test drove that. If I were to buy a 2nd toy car, it'd need to be way way better.

Or - and this is maybe where I should have headed - buy a GTi instead of the R and later trade up to the M2c/M3 (still on the fence about that choice too).

Bottom line - the Golf R is so good that it really makes the additional premium for having a M car as a second car a hard sell for me. A Golf R plus a Cayman S or (budget willing) a 911 turbo would be more better I think. But as a stand-alone DD, I could see myself going back to the M cars one day. Hopefully soon. Because as you'll notice, I'm a VW owner still lurking on Mcar forums. And at the end of the day, that's how I know I may like, but I don't love my R. And how I know my heart is still longing for the M3, or maybe that cool new M2c.

/end of therapy session
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 2
Yes2m3cs155.00
Spare°257.50
      09-14-2018, 01:16 PM   #47
eatingpizzainthef87rules
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I had a stage 3 Mk6R and stage 2 MK7R - both with a ton of quality suspension modifications + sport cup 2 tires

Great cars, fast in a straight line - but they don't feel overly special - nowhere near the same experience as driving the F87

Excellent daily drivers.
Appreciate 1
duplex3.00
      09-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #48
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post
Thought I would weigh in to the extent that I can. Warning - therapy session ahead:

I have had my '18 R for about 4 mos now. It's, as everyone says, an incredibly good DD, especially in a world with fewer and fewer 4 door 6MT options from which to choose. Early this year my wife lost her job and I also had recently purchased a 3rd car for my teen daughter. So I tearfully cashed out my equity in my bucket list F80 and just drove the Mini Cooper I'd bought originally for my daughter.

At first the mini was a revelation - the whole 'slow car fast' thing was awesome - so much fun. And I did that for a few months until my wife was back on her feet with her job. But I realized that I didn't enjoy the F80 as much as one should enjoy a $70k car, and I decided to also try to be a little more financially responsible the second time around. Also a new feeling for me . So I gave the Mini to my daughter and taught her to drive a stick (save the manuals!) and test drove a bunch of cars like the STI, WRX, Focus, GTI, M2, and decided eventually on the R. Paid something close to $38k for it on a $41k sticker.

It's well built, lots of tech, spacious, practical, really quick, and (hopefully soon) pretty tunable for a little more grunt. I don't love it like I did either of my BMWs, but I do like it a lot. It is, for the most part, an invisible car, even in the cool blue color like I got. Not a lot of compliments or second looks if one cares about that. Having done the M3 and the 340i thing before this, it's a better fit for a DD and suburban life as a family dad. You can park it outside at night, drive into a store parking lot and actually park like normal person in a close open spot without worrying about what might happen to it, door dings, etc. SO much less stressful to own, even when staring down the barrel of a hurricane like earlier this week (stay safe, NC/SC!).

BUT - and this is what I've wrestled with constantly since buying it - it's just not a special car. It's arguably more fun on a back road than my F80 was (mostly because you can actually drive it hard without going straight to jail), but you don't get out afterward and look back at it as you walk away.

My wife hated me for weeks after I Forest-Gumped my way into the F80, but she still asked to drive it ALL the time. And to this day, she still thinks my 340i was the perfect car. She's never once asked to drive the R.

For those that can have afford to have both, I think the Golf R still isn't a great match with the M-series cars. If I could have a second weekend /toy car, I'd probably go Pcar or something esoteric. Not that the Mcars aren't great - they are, but there's just something not right about the F80/F30 steering, and I felt it too in the M2 to a lesser degree when I test drove that. If I were to buy a 2nd toy car, it'd need to be way way better.

Or - and this is maybe where I should have headed - buy a GTi instead of the R and later trade up to the M2c/M3 (still on the fence about that choice too).

Bottom line - the Golf R is so good that it really makes the additional premium for having a M car as a second car a hard sell for me. A Golf R plus a Cayman S or (budget willing) a 911 turbo would be more better I think. But as a stand-alone DD, I could see myself going back to the M cars one day. Hopefully soon. Because as you'll notice, I'm a VW owner still lurking on Mcar forums. And at the end of the day, that's how I know I may like, but I don't love my R. And how I know my heart is still longing for the M3, or maybe that cool new M2c.

/end of therapy session
The Golf R is not a special car. It is a car that does a lot of things well, such as winter driving with its AWD, practicality for hauling stuff (4d plus hatch), smallish footprint but usable for hauling people or cargo, etc. Passion is not a high point for this car. But is there anything else out there that can do all these things, is available with a MT, is reasonably fun to drive, and won't make you feel ridiculous when you get out of it if you are over 24 years old?

No, there isn't. That's the specialness of this car.
Yes2m3cs155.00
      09-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #49
Yes2m3cs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS 2016 M4

Love this thread!!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #50
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 - 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwh2009 View Post

/end of therapy session
I agree with some of your points. If I could afford a decent second car, I would buy a DSG Golf R as a daily. My issue with manual is that tune-ability of it depends on if you're willing to spend ~$2500 for a new upgraded clutch. I had issues with mine slipping at stock power.

IMO I still think the M2 is far superior than the Golf R, though I do think the comparison is somewhat unfair. I've gone stage 2 in my car and probably pushing some close to 400+whp and could not be happier!
Appreciate 1
mwh2009289.00
      09-26-2018, 04:03 PM   #51
KO7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

I’ve had my DSG MK7 Golf R for almost 3 years and lust for the M2 on a daily basis. As others have mentioned, it’s not a special car that will give you the itch to wake up at 5am on a Sunday to go for a spirited drive in the canyons before most people wake up and clog the roads.

What it is, is a clinical and highly capable daily driver that will beat most things you’d encounter, off the line and doing it without fuss. It’s practical, comfortable, not that expensive to run and maintain, and the Remus exhaust puts me a smile on my face when I unleash a WOT upshift in tunnels or under overpasses. I love the car, even though I admit it’s not a “special” car.
Appreciate 1
champignon1565.50
      09-28-2018, 07:57 PM   #52
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
I’ve had my DSG MK7 Golf R for almost 3 years and lust for the M2 on a daily basis. As others have mentioned, it’s not a special car that will give you the itch to wake up at 5am on a Sunday to go for a spirited drive in the canyons before most people wake up and clog the roads.

What it is, is a clinical and highly capable daily driver that will beat most things you’d encounter, off the line and doing it without fuss. It’s practical, comfortable, not that expensive to run and maintain, and the Remus exhaust puts me a smile on my face when I unleash a WOT upshift in tunnels or under overpasses. I love the car, even though I admit it’s not a “special” car.
You based in Vancouver? I think I remember you from the Vancouver R Club.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2018, 09:41 AM   #53
digimattic
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 6MT LBB M2

Not quite the same, but I am moving from an MK6 GTI 6MT into an M2 6MT. I've wanted a "special car" for some time. I contemplated tuning the GTI. I considered picking up a MK7 R. However, I've grown up with tuner cars, and though the hobby of doing the work is fun, I've always felt that at a certain point it doesn't make sense trying to turn a car into something it's just NOT - i.e., trying to turn a FWD (or AWD with front bias) *sporty* car into a *sports* car.

Plus, up here in Canadia, a new Golf R, out the door is not a cheap car. Far better, I thought, to spend that money on the car I want from the get go. So, when I found a 2017 M2 with only 2,700km on it for barely more than the price of a new R, I jumped on it.

I'm glad I did. The car is an absolute joy to drive. It makes me happy just to see it. Those hips! I look for excuses to drive whenever possible. If I were paying full-pop for one new, the lack of tech features might bug me a little when compared to what you get in the R (not even blind spot detection? Seriously?) but it is just such a superior driving car that once I'm in it, I just don't care.

...Oh, and I kept the GTI since I was not going to get much for it and it saves me trashing the M2 in winter.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:41 PM   #54
domyalex
Rep
Drives: 2009 328 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Not quite the same, but I am moving from an MK6 GTI 6MT into an M2 6MT. I've wanted a "special car" for some time. I contemplated tuning the GTI. I considered picking up a MK7 R. However, I've grown up with tuner cars, and though the hobby of doing the work is fun, I've always felt that at a certain point it doesn't make sense trying to turn a car into something it's just NOT - i.e., trying to turn a FWD (or AWD with front bias) *sporty* car into a *sports* car.

Plus, up here in Canadia, a new Golf R, out the door is not a cheap car. Far better, I thought, to spend that money on the car I want from the get go. So, when I found a 2017 M2 with only 2,700km on it for barely more than the price of a new R, I jumped on it.

I'm glad I did. The car is an absolute joy to drive. It makes me happy just to see it. Those hips! I look for excuses to drive whenever possible. If I were paying full-pop for one new, the lack of tech features might bug me a little when compared to what you get in the R (not even blind spot detection? Seriously?) but it is just such a superior driving car that once I'm in it, I just don't care.

...Oh, and I kept the GTI since I was not going to get much for it and it saves me trashing the M2 in winter.
May I ask how much they were asking for it? I'm also considering upgrading from a '17 R =D
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:30 PM   #55
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domyalex View Post
May I ask how much they were asking for it? I'm also considering upgrading from a '17 R =D
OP here. I got my 2016 M2 last Feb with 7000km for 54k.

They offered me garbage for my R as trade in at first but ended up with a reasonable amount.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #56
KO7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloshombre View Post
You based in Vancouver? I think I remember you from the Vancouver R Club.
Yup, it’s Will, one of the admins 👋
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 06:21 PM   #57
carloshombre
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KO7 View Post
Yup, it’s Will, one of the admins 👋
Hey dude! Time for you to get into an M2 .

DM me if you wanna get pushed through a contact I have at Brian Jessel. They have a blue, manual one for a stellar price.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2018, 01:22 PM   #58
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Blindspot detection. LOL
Ahahahah

Ahahahah

Ahahahah.
Sorry

Ahahahah
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 02:15 AM   #59
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Dude's M2C went sideways without traction control on and thinks the S55 is overheating after three 2 gears pull

Appreciate 0
      11-14-2018, 12:54 PM   #60
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimattic View Post
Not quite the same, but I am moving from an MK6 GTI 6MT into an M2 6MT. I've wanted a "special car" for some time. I contemplated tuning the GTI.
Same here - kept my Mk6 GTI (will prob replace with new Mk8 in two years) to drive in winter so the M2 can hide under my Miata in the garage during those annoying three months of the year here in MD.
      11-17-2018, 02:08 AM   #61
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

2 cars in 2 completely different classes, unless you stick these cars in the ‘daily driver’ category.

I’ve driven DSG and manual Golf R’s. Most likely the most boring manual car I’ve driven. The utility is fantastic. But the car, in stock form, is boring IMO. Though I’m sure it would be a great commuter car, especially if you live in 4 seasons and need AWD.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #62
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
2 cars in 2 completely different classes, unless you stick these cars in the ‘daily driver’ category.

I’ve driven DSG and manual Golf R’s. Most likely the most boring manual car I’ve driven. The utility is fantastic. But the car, in stock form, is boring IMO. Though I’m sure it would be a great commuter car, especially if you live in 4 seasons and need AWD.
You need to drive more manual cars, if you think that the Golf R 6MT is "the most boring manual car I've driven." That's a really silly statement.
      11-17-2018, 09:50 AM   #63
Mr Pete
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3 4.1, Golf R (daily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by champignon View Post
You need to drive more manual cars, if you think that the Golf R 6MT is "the most boring manual car I've driven." That's a really silly statement.
I’m just a silly guy, I suppose

Honestly, in my opinion (again), it’s a boring car, in manual stock form. If you believe otherwise, then you’re entitled to your opinion. I’m not trying to convince anyone that it’s a boring drive.

Last edited by Mr Pete; 11-17-2018 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 02:00 PM   #64
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSDadMobile View Post
I’m just a silly guy, I suppose

Honestly, in my opinion (again), it’s a boring car, in manual stock form. If you believe otherwise, then you’re entitled to your opinion. I’m not trying to convince anyone that it’s a boring drive.
My Golf R is my only (semi)-practical car; on the other hand, if my finances were constrained and I was looking for just one car available in 6MT, that was fun to drive in an adult sort of way (as opposed to the rest of the "Hot Hatch" universe) that was also functional, the Golf R would be at the top of my list.

The car's shortcomings are obvious; mediocre EPS (same can be said for 99% of the current BMW line), somewhat "clinical" feel, and fairly vague manual transmission, still it is fun to drive and miles ahead of truly boring MT cars, such as almost every MT car made in France or sold under a French manufacturer's name, a Toyota Yaris (or nearly any Toyota), or most any Subaru other than a WRX or STI (arguably a BRZ). There are others, these are just the ones that immediately spring to mind when I think of truly boring cars available with a MT, either in the USA or in the rest of the world. A Golf R 6MT is tons more engaging and fun to drive than any of these.

The R can be modified, as you point out, although I would advise people not to do so, as it will reduce the resale value, potentially void the warranty, and there is also only so much lipstick that you can put on a pig :-)
      11-17-2018, 07:58 PM   #65
KO7
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloshombre View Post
Hey dude! Time for you to get into an M2 .

DM me if you wanna get pushed through a contact I have at Brian Jessel. They have a blue, manual one for a stellar price.
I went to check out that M2 at Brian Jessel, and ended up test driving a DCT one they had outside the showroom. Loved it as expected, but financially just doesn’t make sense for me to pull the trigger yet. I haven’t checked lately, but I’m sure I owe more on the R than it’s worth, and I refuse to throw money away and roll negative equity into a $50k+ car loan.

The R really is set up nicely for my needs. I’ve just spent way too much money and time into sorting out the suspension (including beefier RSB), the wheels and tires, ceramic coating, beefed up security system, dual dashcams including external battery pack for the dashcams, euro tails, catback exhaust, Oettinger spoiler. Since I’m keeping it for a while, I’m going to go from stock to Stage 2 since I’m itching for more power and theatre (via crackles) after having owned it for 3 years.

It really is a phenomenal daily driver and the traffic in Vancouver and Richmond is atrocious. I would get the M2 in manual, but driving manual for a daily would have me hating life again.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2018, 11:33 PM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Dude's M2C went sideways without traction control on and thinks the S55 is overheating after three 2 gears pull
What kind of race is this, lol. This guy can't drive and the "race" is probably not even 1/8th of a mile.

Overheating

The only thing he managed to do was spin his tires.
Appreciate 0