BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > worth upgrading FMIC without tuning?

02-19-2019, 12:31 AM   #1
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
worth upgrading FMIC without tuning?

On my 335i e92 the fmic was the first upgrade after my jb+ after reading about the importance of cooling. I was also about to get a custom tune, nothing wild but a bump to 380-390 bhp crank that is.

However, since the M2 is already, imo, fast enough I'm most likely to not tune or get a Stage 1.

But is it worth upgrading the fmic even if I don't tune at all? I don't track, only spirited driving when opportunities arise. I do think though that maintenance is important and I change oil and spark plugs more frequently than recommended.

So keeping the engine cool is pretty good for the longevity I think but I don't want to overdo it and rather spend money on other, more necessary maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:31 AM   #2
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Yes, it's a requirement for consistent power even at stock level. M2 lose power big time in summer.

Wagner Evo1 Competition is by far the best choice in your case. There is not a close second.
      02-19-2019, 09:40 AM   #3
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
Yes, it's a requirement for consistent power even at stock level. M2 lose power big time in summer.

Wagner Evo1 Competition is by far the best choice in your case. There is not a close second.
Good stuff. I'm in the same boat not going to tune for awhile but looking for some good summer street and track upgrades.

I may do that Wager FMIC. I would also take a look at upgrading your charge pipe. It's a good time opportunity to do this in conjunction with the FMIC.

Turner Motorsports recommended the Evolution Racewerks.

http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/node/313
      02-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Correct me if im wrong but without other bolt ons and a tune, wouldnt a larger FMIC create some additional lag?

Im considering deferring any other bolt ons such as a FMIC until im ready to tune the car.
I am however installing a sport cat in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabozo View Post
Correct me if im wrong but without other bolt ons and a tune, wouldnt a larger FMIC create some additional lag?

Im considering deferring any other bolt ons such as a FMIC until im ready to tune the car.
I am however installing a sport cat in the meantime.
You're correct. Hence my recommendation for Evo1 comp. It's the only tube and fin design in the 5" intercooler market. In case you don't know - the tube and fin type flows with minimal pressure loss and lag, compared to its bar and plate counterpart which everyone outside of Wagner is using.

At the end of day, keep in mind the cooling capacity improvement far outweighs the indiscernible throttle lag. Intercooler is there for a good reason. And you can remove intercooler to have no intercooler induced lag.

The 6" intercooler would be too large for stock tune. IAT is highly subjective to ambient temp, there is only so much an intercooler can do. No need for going for the biggest at cost of lag when enough is enough.
Fedorov162.00
      02-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #6
Dabozo
Major
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
You're correct. Hence my recommendation for Evo1 comp. It's the only tube and fin design in the 5" intercooler market. In case you don't know - the tube and fin type flows with minimal pressure loss and lag, compared to its bar and plate counterpart which everyone outside of Wagner is using.

At the end of day, keep in mind the cooling capacity improvement far outweighs the indiscernible throttle lag. Intercooler is there for a good reason. And you can remove intercooler to have no intercooler induced lag.

The 6" intercooler would be too large for stock tune. IAT is highly subjective to ambient temp, there is only so much an intercooler can do. No need for going for the biggest at cost of lag when enough is enough.
Awesome. Thanks Sean. I was aware of the drawbacks of going too big (thanks to that great topic on this forum

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1458121

But was unsure of how big a deal it would be with a 5" and no other mods.

Personally, im quite happy with throttle response as is (in sport+), so if the difference is barely noticeable with the wagner or any other 5" tube and fin design, I wouldn't worry about it...
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 01:37 PM   #7
M2C AW
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Alpine White

When I went FBO (including an Evo 1 Comp FMIC) before a tune, I barely noticed any increase in lag. I then decided to upgrade to the Evo 2 Comp (before tune), and immediately observed noticeable lag, especially during normal Comfort cruising.
I hope that lag will improve / decrease after an OTS BM3 Stg 1 tune gets flashed.
Appreciate 2
specka71.00
David1814.00
      02-20-2019, 01:31 PM   #8
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for all the great input!
Well, I need to think about if my personal driving style needs an intercooler and weigh it against the possible, event though small, turbo lag.

In my e92 335 I had the 7inch vrsf intercooler and it introduced a noticeable lag. I really love the M2 as it is stock with very little lag compared to the n54.. Not to mention the cost of the intercooler which is not terrible but not negligible for my pockets..
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:31 PM   #9
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

I have an Evo comp 1 without a tune but that's only because I track. If I didn't track, and if i wasn't planning on doing any power mods, I would not get the FMIC.

From the research I did, even with the stock FMIC in summer at a track it's not like it's going into limp mode right away, or at all. I highly doubt any spirited driving on public streets would or should have the same amount of time at WOT as the first few laps at a track.

But if you got the extra money and don't want the stock silver intercooler peeking out, the Wagner is black and looks better imo

Last edited by greasypeanut; 02-20-2019 at 02:46 PM..
Appreciate 2
Altra265.50
Fedorov162.00
      02-21-2019, 05:04 AM   #10
specka
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI BSM

Garage List
2017 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MGM View Post
When I went FBO (including an Evo 1 Comp FMIC) before a tune, I barely noticed any increase in lag. I then decided to upgrade to the Evo 2 Comp (before tune), and immediately observed noticeable lag, especially during normal Comfort cruising.
I hope that lag will improve / decrease after an OTS BM3 Stg 1 tune gets flashed.
I share this experience. Since FMIC (Evo Comp 2) I honestly feel there is less throttle response or turbo lag. sport+ used to be quite savage from the standing start or when hitting the accelerator hard but there is a noticeable delay. I don't like it.

I am yet to flash BM3 which I expect will resolve.
      02-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #11
Blurbo311
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB 6-Speed

I noticed the stock M2 power fading at high RPMs in the hot summer here in AZ. I didn't fully realize how much power I'd been losing in 100+ degree heat until it started cooling down in the fall and the M2 felt so much faster. Just based on that, I say an upgraded IC is near mandatory, so I added one 2 months ago. I haven't seen temps over 80 yet with the new IC, but once it gets hot again I'll really know if its worth it.

FYI, I chose the VRSF 5'' HD Street https://x-ph.com/vr-speed-vrsf-f-cha...gh-density-hd/ as I saw it as the best value for my setup. I installed it the same time as the VRSF charge-pipe and noticed no additional lag. I had a Fabspeed 200 cel downpipe on the car already. I've since added the dinan sport tuner. The car pulls hard and doesn't heat soak in 70 degree temps. We'll see how it handles 100+ degrees in a few months.
Appreciate 2
Altra265.50
///M TOWN16184.50
      02-21-2019, 03:23 PM   #12
Altra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 AW M2

I've been going back and forth on the FMIC. Car will rarely ever see the track, and it does get pretty hot in Cali during the summer. Already got downpipe, but no other performance mods. I'm undecided on getting a tune.

I know for sure, if I do upgrade the FMIC, I'll get the charge pipe too, which is pretty much FBO...might as well go stage 2 tune at that point...but is it really worth it if 91 is all I have access too?
Sure, I could add a few gallons of e85 but good luck finding an e85 pump that isn't at least 20mins away....oh what first world problems.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2019, 04:11 AM   #13
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurbo311 View Post
I noticed the stock M2 power fading at high RPMs in the hot summer here in AZ. I didn't fully realize how much power I'd been losing in 100+ degree heat until it started cooling down in the fall and the M2 felt so much faster. Just based on that, I say an upgraded IC is near mandatory, so I added one 2 months ago. I haven't seen temps over 80 yet with the new IC, but once it gets hot again I'll really know if its worth it.

FYI, I chose the VRSF 5'' HD Street https://x-ph.com/vr-speed-vrsf-f-cha...gh-density-hd/ as I saw it as the best value for my setup. I installed it the same time as the VRSF charge-pipe and noticed no additional lag. I had a Fabspeed 200 cel downpipe on the car already. I've since added the dinan sport tuner. The car pulls hard and doesn't heat soak in 70 degree temps. We'll see how it handles 100+ degrees in a few months.
So the IC you linked to did not say it was M2 compatible (even though it says N55 of course).

No fitment issues? No noticable increase in turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 05:09 AM   #14
maol
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

If you're looking for a IC to M2 the DO88 is far better than the Wagner IC:s
Look at the diagrams in this link

https://www.do88.se/sv/artiklar/bmw-...tercooler.html

Better from all aspects compared with Wagner IC and the price tag is better as well
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by maol View Post

Better from all aspects compared with Wagner IC and the price tag is better as well
How heavy is this thing?

One reason to go Wagner Evo II Comp is it doesn’t weigh 30+ lbs like CSF and some other ICs.
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      02-23-2019, 11:52 AM   #16
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:

How heavy is this thing?

One reason to go Wagner Evo II Comp is it doesn’t weigh 30+ lbs like CSF and some other ICs.
I'm also curious on the weight of the do88
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
So the IC you linked to did not say it was M2 compatible (even though it says N55 of course).

No fitment issues? No noticable increase in turbo lag?
It appears to me they are the same IC. If you follow the navigation on the site for the M2 intercooler, it takes you to the same link.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #18
maol
Rep

I don't think it's super heavy. I can take a look at it. I have mine in the box and can look at the shipment badge how much the weight is.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:00 PM   #19
maol
Rep

I looked at the shipment badge and the total weight with packaging is in total 12,5 kg for DO88 IC

Wagner Evo2 Competition weighs like 14 kg regarding to thier website

http://www.wagner-tuning.com/product...001071-11.html

Last edited by maol; 02-23-2019 at 04:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #20
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
I looked at the shipment badge and the total weight with packaging is in total 12,5 kg
It looks like a bar & plate, so I would have guessed more. Can you throw it on a scale without the packaging to verify?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #21
maol
Rep

Sorry I can't. I don't have a scale to verify
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #22
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
It looks like a bar & plate, so I would have guessed more. Can you throw it on a scale without the packaging to verify?
Seems on par. The Evo 2 Performance bar and plate is 11.5kg
Appreciate 0