BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > bootmod3 for BMW F series Vehicles - General Discussion

02-12-2019, 10:33 PM   #243
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Been reading up on BM3 and preparing to tune my car soon after parts are installed. Is there a way to configure valves closed in comfort mode? I noticed only a valve setting for sport mode in the user manual
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 09:18 AM   #244
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Be aware that the flash will override some of the changes you may have made with other software like BIMMERCODE.

In my case I had to reset the ASD, Folding Mirrors, auto seat adjustment and seat heating values.

These were all reset back to OEM when I flashed with BM. Took me a couple of days to realize what had happened.

BM worked fine. However, this is something to be aware of.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      02-13-2019, 09:53 AM   #245
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MZWIE View Post
Be aware that the flash will override some of the changes you may have made with other software like BIMMERCODE.

In my case I had to reset the ASD, Folding Mirrors, auto seat adjustment and seat heating values.

These were all reset back to OEM when I flashed with BM. Took me a couple of days to realize what had happened.

BM worked fine. However, this is something to be aware of.
Weird, but Bootmod3 doesn't flashes or touches these modules.

I've been flashing for over 2yrs now this is false !

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:52 PM   #246
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^^ Of course I made all this up.....Are you serious. I had many issues with BM.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 10:39 PM   #247
MTWO
Captain
Rep

Coding for that stuff is in other ECUs in the car if you ever used ESYS to code the car yourself. Zero and I mean zero chance bm3 did that as it doesn’t even talk to anything but your engine computer. If anything your battery going low causing that.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3811.50
      02-16-2019, 12:55 AM   #248
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

There is little hope to ask PTF at this point but M2 OG DCT software needs improvement.

Our problem with Stock DCT is in the comfort mode:
When you input mild throttle and the car comfortably climb up to 4th (or 5th/6th) gear, it enters some sort of 'cruise state' as I call it, where DCT is extremely lazy to downshift. You progressively apply pedal, it will just hold at high gear even if it's already 80-90% pedal, until 3-4 secs later it downshifts.

In the traffic of downtown big city (think New York), it is dangerous when you're trying to pass and change lane with a tight time window.

It's nothing to do with DME tuning, it's purely the DCT logic. All it needs exactly for comfort mode is to increase the eagerness of downshift.

Some may argue 'that's why I always use sport mode'. That may work for some guys. But sport is way too aggressive for most of the times on street when cars are not few.

Now that ZF8spd already has its TCU albeit it's engineered to address torque limit issue. It proves that TCU is programmable via aftermarket tools, rather than we only rely on BMW pre programmed option (GTS gearbox which doesn't really work well with OG M2).

Think about it please PTF.
      02-17-2019, 03:09 PM   #249
M-Supra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2, 2JZ-M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
There is little hope to ask PTF at this point but M2 OG DCT software needs improvement.

Our problem with Stock DCT is in the comfort mode:
When you input mild throttle and the car comfortably climb up to 4th (or 5th/6th) gear, it enters some sort of 'cruise state' as I call it, where DCT is extremely lazy to downshift. You progressively apply pedal, it will just hold at high gear even if it's already 80-90% pedal, until 3-4 secs later it downshifts.

In the traffic of downtown big city (think New York), it is dangerous when you're trying to pass and change lane with a tight time window.

It's nothing to do with DME tuning, it's purely the DCT logic. All it needs exactly for comfort mode is to increase the eagerness of downshift.

Some may argue 'that's why I always use sport mode'. That may work for some guys. But sport is way too aggressive for most of the times on street when cars are not few.

Now that ZF8spd already has its TCU albeit it's engineered to address torque limit issue. It proves that TCU is programmable via aftermarket tools, rather than we only rely on BMW pre programmed option (GTS gearbox which doesn't really work well with OG M2).

Think about it please PTF.
Not even sure why BMW put this mode in M2...never ever used, how do you get it in that mode
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2019, 07:47 AM   #250
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Supra View Post
Not even sure why BMW put this mode in M2...never ever used, how do you get it in that mode
It has something to do with throttle adaptation. When you commute in the serious downtown traffic (literally average pace = 8mph daily commute in my case). Comfort mode can adapt overtime and become very lazy. To 'recover', either open her up do spirited pulls, or reset adaptation every now and then.
      02-18-2019, 04:27 PM   #251
M2_PLS
Private First Class
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT/2017 Hyundai Azera

I didn't get the read the whole thread but I was wondering if Launch Control or 2 step is available with the manual M2? Even without it for now, I am enjoying my BM3 E30 tune on my M2.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 07:40 PM   #252
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2_PLS View Post
I didn't get the read the whole thread but I was wondering if Launch Control or 2 step is available with the manual M2? Even without it for now, I am enjoying my BM3 E30 tune on my M2.
Dang this would be a really sweet feature to have.
      04-08-2019, 06:12 PM   #253
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Anyone know if the latest iStep upgrade for n55 m2 vehicles also locks the DME so it can longer be flashed by bootmod3? S55 vehicles with the latest update can no longer be flash tuned through obd port.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 02:24 PM   #254
squixs
Second Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Hi,
Last Tuesday a shop installed an ~4k miles used HJS 300 Cell Catted Downpipe on my car. While reading codes with the BM3 app, I just saw:
Quote:
180001 catalyst efficiency below threshold
However, no CEL is displayed on the instrument cluster. Should I be worried about this? From what I know, the HJS downpipes shouldn't trigger a CEL right?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #255
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

System Update:

bootmod3 update v0.10.065 is out with some great enhancements:

1) DCT Transmission Offline Flash - Flashing the DCT on the S55 is now done like with the DME tunes where data is first downloaded in full and then the DCT flash starts. This removes any dependency on your internet connection quality when flashing the transmission. TCU flashes now significantly faster than before! NOTE: If using mobile apps you'll continue to use the online based TCU flash until you get the latest update. If you use a laptop/web you'll have the new version immediately.

2) DME coding after flash - last fix we did on this resolved it for most cars but some were still needing to recoding using online recode, in most cases just after unlock if at all. This should now be fixed as well. If you have the new DME (MG1) with the B58 engine this does not apply.

3) Agent/dash connectivity - further enhancements with dash auto-reconnect if cable is disconnected/reconnected. Now even minimizing the app and doing something else on your phone (e.g. call comes in, do an iMessage to someone, etc) and coming back into the bm3 app will have the dash still active including logging. A bug that at times caused logs not to get pushed to the server in case agent was powered down or cable was disconnected has also been fixed.

bootmod3 web version is updated and the new OBD Agent is out. Apps are in submission and will have the update live as soon as the app stores release them to public.

Appreciate 4
nioh_lbbm21716.50
FSociety3811.50
963mw331.00
      04-17-2019, 09:41 PM   #256
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
System Update:

1) DCT Transmission Offline Flash - Flashing the DCT on the S55 is now done like with the DME tunes where data is first downloaded in full and then the DCT flash starts. This removes any dependency on your internet connection quality when flashing the transmission. TCU flashes now significantly faster than before! NOTE: If using mobile apps you'll continue to use the online based TCU flash until you get the latest update. If you use a laptop/web you'll have the new version immediately.

2) DME coding after flash - last fix we did on this resolved it for most cars but some were still needing to recoding using online recode, in most cases just after unlock if at all. This should now be fixed as well. If you have the new DME (MG1) with the B58 engine this does not apply.

3) Agent/dash connectivity - further enhancements with dash auto-reconnect if cable is disconnected/reconnected. Now even minimizing the app and doing something else on your phone (e.g. call comes in, do an iMessage to someone, etc) and coming back into the bm3 app will have the dash still active including logging. A bug that at times caused logs not to get pushed to the server in case agent was powered down or cable was disconnected has also been fixed.

bootmod3 web version is updated and the new OBD Agent is out. Apps are in submission and will have the update live as soon as the app stores release them to public.

Nice. Is there any way to save login info & password in the iPhone app so that doesn’t have to be entered/FaceID every time when launching the app?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 08:36 AM   #257
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
System Update:

Nice. Is there any way to save login info & password in the iPhone app so that doesn’t have to be entered/FaceID every time when launching the app?
Doubt it due to the nature of the service. They need to authenticate to the servers to make sure you're a valid user on a valid car.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #258
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
I use Google and it works fine

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 03:44 PM   #259
bm3tuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5, F85 X5M, F80 M3

Quote:
System Update:

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #260
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Another bm3 question.

We have 93 octane here. In the off chance it's slightly less would I be better running the 91 tune?

2'nd question: Assuming my 93 octane is actually 93 octane, does anyone know the hp difference (roughly) between the 91 tune and 93 tune?
Appreciate 1
specka71.00
      04-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #261
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Another bm3 question.

We have 93 octane here. In the off chance it's slightly less would I be better running the 91 tune?

2'nd question: Assuming my 93 octane is actually 93 octane, does anyone know the hp difference (roughly) between the 91 tune and 93 tune?
the answer to your first question is probably yes but you can confirm it yourself by doing a few runs and logging your pulls.

I believe 2nd question i believe the difference is like 10-20 hp assuming ideal perfect conditions.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 10:10 AM   #262
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSociety View Post
I use Google and it works fine
I had a different password saved between the app browser and Safari. Updated Safari and the password seems to be sticking for the app.

Update: Never mind, the app is still requiring me to log in. Just a pain if you’re driving and want to launch the app.

Last edited by ZM2; 04-23-2019 at 10:20 AM..
Appreciate 1
MRosth126.00
      05-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #263
kpaso
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are there any maps made for track duty? To dial things down a little bit?

I'm getting a little paranoid ringing the car out at the track with my stage 2 map when I'm running shit CA 91 octane.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2019, 03:19 PM   #264
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpaso View Post
Are there any maps made for track duty? To dial things down a little bit?

I'm getting a little paranoid ringing the car out at the track with my stage 2 map when I'm running shit CA 91 octane.
Are you running the ACN91 map? Don't run the OTS 91 maps if you're in Cali. Check mine and Nezil's threads about Cali gas.
Appreciate 0