BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > California Exhaust Law

01-26-2019, 06:27 PM   #23
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Wow, thought this was a car forum! Never seen a bunch of enthusiasts so ready to hand it over to the man
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      01-26-2019, 08:54 PM   #24
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LCI 6MT LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Wow, thought this was a car forum! Never seen a bunch of enthusiasts so ready to hand it over to the man
Resisting a government of centralized stupidity is one thing - and there are plenty of stupid laws and stupid lawmakers in this country - but exhaust noise is public, not private, and I'm sure that these ordinances represent the will of the majority who don't want their daily commute to sound like the John Wick soundtrack.
Appreciate 1
seis-speed2430.50
      01-27-2019, 07:43 AM   #25
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwares View Post
Resisting a government of centralized stupidity is one thing - and there are plenty of stupid laws and stupid lawmakers in this country - but exhaust noise is public, not private, and I'm sure that these ordinances represent the will of the majority who don't want their daily commute to sound like the John Wick soundtrack.
Love that government control huh?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 08:39 AM   #26
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
Love that government control huh?
You tell me. You've chosen to live in Ohio, the 11th highest taxed population in the country. Your government takes more money from you - meaning they think they know what to do with your money better than you know what to do with your money - than mine does from me. If money talks, you've chosen to cede more control than I have. You are handing more over to the man than many of the people on this forum.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50
      01-27-2019, 11:26 AM   #27
5.M0NSTER
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
You tell me. You've chosen to live in Ohio, the 11th highest taxed population in the country. Your government takes more money from you - meaning they think they know what to do with your money better than you know what to do with your money - than mine does from me. If money talks, you've chosen to cede more control than I have. You are handing more over to the man than many of the people on this forum.
What is the best thing to come out of Ohio?

I-75

What is the second best thing to come out of Ohio?

I-70

I have tons of ohio jokes. It’s hard not to.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2019, 03:33 PM   #28
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
How dare you use logic on the internet.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      02-13-2019, 04:47 PM   #29
telegony
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Not Really Enforceable

No Police officer is going to be riding around with a sound measuring device so this is pretty much pointless. They would have to measure your car in an anechoic chamber to prove that it was over the db level. You could easily win this in court if it came to that as there are way too many variables to ever get a valid db measurement just from the exhaust.
Appreciate 1
werdn656.00
      02-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #30
ShelJW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MG BMW M2

Quote:
You tell me. You've chosen to live in Ohio, the 11th highest taxed population in the country. Your government takes more money from you - meaning they think they know what to do with your money better than you know what to do with your money - than mine does from me.
Wow! What an idiotic argument! I am SO sick of this stupidity!

*I* believe in law and order.... where should I send my $25??? I want our country to be safe... should I send $50 to the army? another $25 to the navy??? Do you have the address???

Do you like having roads and bridges, courts when you have a dispute? Police, when someone attacks you or robs your home??? Someone making sure corporations aren't poisoning our air or water (yeah... gee...they'd NEVER do THAT)

SO... tell us...How much do YOU send to the local police department in your neighborhood???

Government costs money! There are things that the public NEEDS, that we can't pay for or provide individually.

Imagine if the government never built the interstate highway! I guess you would have just called all of your friends, across the country, and asked them each for $10, and then organized it yourself????

Let's not demonize a state, or a person, who pays their fair share of taxes, and believes in government.

Somehow, idiotic leaders, who are supposedly Billionaires (who shall remain nameless) and who pay ZERO taxes brag about how great and smart they are, and some people think that makes sense!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 10:16 PM   #31
Fear-Mongrel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelJW View Post
Wow! What an idiotic argument! I am SO sick of this stupidity!

*I* believe in law and order.... where should I send my $25??? I want our country to be safe... should I send $50 to the army? another $25 to the navy??? Do you have the address???

Do you like having roads and bridges, courts when you have a dispute? Police, when someone attacks you or robs your home??? Someone making sure corporations aren't poisoning our air or water (yeah... gee...they'd NEVER do THAT)

SO... tell us...How much do YOU send to the local police department in your neighborhood???

Government costs money! There are things that the public NEEDS, that we can't pay for or provide individually.

Imagine if the government never built the interstate highway! I guess you would have just called all of your friends, across the country, and asked them each for $10, and then organized it yourself????

Let's not demonize a state, or a person, who pays their fair share of taxes, and believes in government.

Somehow, idiotic leaders, who are supposedly Billionaires (who shall remain nameless) and who pay ZERO taxes brag about how great and smart they are, and some people think that makes sense!

You realize you're making my point, right? The point of my post was to highlight the hypocrisy of complaining about government control when you live in a state that taxes so heavily. I'm not saying we shouldn't have an army, or roads, or laws. I was making the point that noise ordinances are made by governments of people, exercising what they believe to be the will of the majority. If someone is going to claim that is "loving government control", as a previous posted wrote, then they have to acknowledge living in a state which with high taxes is by default a state of higher financial government control. Do you understand this, or did you skip over the entire thread, read only my post, and then respond only to my post in a vacuum? You say "let's not demonize a state, or a person, who pays their fair share of taxes, and believes in government" but the person you are commenting about, in this case, did not believe in government in the case of the noise ordinance...he considered that to be a form of giving yourself up to government control. You following?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 11:12 PM   #32
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M2 Competition HS

How many of you actually have been or know of anyone that has been fined due to an illegal race/modified exhaust? For me, nada, zero, nil and no one I know that has an illegal exhaust has ever been fined.

I'm sure the police and government have much better things to do with their time unless these fines can somehow generate a shit load of money for the state.

I see and hear more motorcycles with illegal exhausts than cars. Harley riders are probably one of the most guilty and how often do you see them getting pulled over and ticketed.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:15 AM   #33
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

So, what distances are these numbers being discussed measured at?

My tiny earbuds can reach 105 dB SPL in an ear canal, but nothing meaningful outside.

Something that is 120 dB @ 1 meter will be far less 10 meters away. Inverse square law and all that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:23 AM   #34
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpower98 View Post
It's called the CHP (california highway pirates) and they love to pull you over and take your money! Example- probable cause for a stop being window tint or the absence of a front license plate while commuting in traffic. Me plus a number of personal friends are stopped multiple times yearly for these things in Los Angeles. They have stated themselves that this new law change is "because of the takeovers/sideshows" that they often have to play cat and mouse at. So this is just another thing for them to look out for and get you.
I have never been stopped living in San Francisco or Los Angeles with aftermarket exhausts for two different motorcycles. Both not street legal and I ride often. So what's your point? Is CHP going to stop every single motorcycle and car with an aftermarket exhaust that they feel are too loud and what equipment are they carrying around to measure the dBs to confirm if it's illegal?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:03 AM   #35
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmpower98 View Post
Motorcycles- no. Cars- yes. The law went into effect on the first and i know at least 5 people who have gotten stopped for it already. The problem with this law is that they pull you over based off what they think they know; not immediate proof. It's easy to fight in court if you don't immediately get sent to a referee, as your argument is that they never tested/don't carry the necessary test equipment with them
I read this on Jalopnik and the law seems to not be much different pre-2019 other than not getting an option to get a fix it ticket and just getting a violation.

https://jalopnik.com/why-people-are-...s-e-1831620651

What does that mean in plain English?
Before 2019, California cops could pull you over for having a loud exhaust but they would issue a “fix-it ticket.” That means that if you went back to them with a stock exhaust reinstalled within a certain amount of time, you would be free and clear.

Police are not allowed to do that anymore, and now will just give you a violation on the spot.

Based on riding driving around Southern Cal and Bay Area, I have not heard many cars with exhausts that would be considered a public nuisance and too stupidly obnoxiously loud for public roads. Excluding exotics, of course there are some folks with stupid load exhausts that can be annoying. No idea what category you or the people you know that got tickets would fall into. If your cars have a stock exhaust and not aftermarket, then I would definitely be irritated, pissed off, and fight the tickets.

I am in the minority and actually like that the M2C/S55 is not very loud. When I ride motorcycles, even with ear plugs or bluetooth audio, there is a lot of road, wind, and exhaust noise so I actually prefer not hearing much noise when I'm in an enclosed vehicle.

If anyone is unhappy with the California exhaust law and getting tickets, there seem to be four viable options:

1. Just continue to deal with getting the exhaust violations
2. Move to a different state that does not have any similar exhaust law
3. Get a quieter exhaust
4. Buy and ride a motorcycle and put on any loud ass aftermarket exhaust you want
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 12:57 AM   #36
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by telegony View Post
No Police officer is going to be riding around with a sound measuring device so this is pretty much pointless. They would have to measure your car in an anechoic chamber to prove that it was over the db level. You could easily win this in court if it came to that as there are way too many variables to ever get a valid db measurement just from the exhaust.
You’re right regarding cops carrying dB meters, none I know have one, but no anechoic chamber or dB meter is required to prove an overly loud exhaust in court. Any cop can articulate his testimony in court that a vehicle which can be heard from a couple of city blocks away is excessive.

Even some racetracks have noise restrictions.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 06:08 AM   #37
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
What about those annoying train horns.

They are well above 100dbs.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 12:21 PM   #38
Honda_bar
Private
Rep
Drives: Hrv accord

I'm enjoying this thread (Former CHP officer)
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2019, 02:21 PM   #39
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by look585 View Post
What about those annoying train horns.

They are well above 100dbs.
Are you asking about the ones they put on trains or the ones people install on cars to be "funny"?

The ones that go on top of trains are there for safety and are designed to be loud. You know, so you don't get hit by a train. The ones that get installed on cars are for jackasses, and it's illegal to use on the road in California.

Full Disclosure: I had one on my car, 20 years ago. I thought it was hilarious. The police was less impressed.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      02-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #40
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_bar View Post
Penny for your thoughts?

Seems like it's just business as usual with the only change being it's not a fix it ticket anymore. Totally overblown, but wouldn't mind getting the opinion of someone who use to enforce the law. I suspect most officers have better things to enforce unless the noise is truly intolerable?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #41
aWanderlustSeoul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Penny for your thoughts?

Seems like it's just business as usual with the only change being it's not a fix it ticket anymore. Totally overblown, but wouldn't mind getting the opinion of someone who use to enforce the law. I suspect most officers have better things to enforce unless the noise is truly intolerable?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Quote:
Penny for your thoughts?

+1

unless there's a ticket quoto/goals police have to meet each month, they should have much better things and violations to deal with their time. An exception is that the noise is so obnoxiously loud and irritating to the police and general public and why some douche bags are so willing to take the risk in stop and go traffic.

I also want to know if there's a double standard for motorcycles since most have an aftermarket exhaust that may be race but not street legal (e.g. Harley's). Loud pipes generally do not save lives and it's more of an urban legend and doubtful you can fight a ticket based on this premise alone.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #42
Honda_bar
Private
Rep
Drives: Hrv accord

I cannot speak for all agencies, but generally you won't be stopped unless its overly obnoxious or you have more than one violation (cracked windshield, tint, no front plate ect) then you can give them an 'invitation to the party' (ticket). You tell them the reason for the stop, then sell it as one violation. If they are D#$*@s, then you cite them for all of them. I was biased towards motorcycles/annoying hondas tbh. Simple summary, most won't bother you unless you're being aggressive or obnoxious, or its a slow day and you're looking for something to do a.k.a doing your job.
Appreciate 2
pz6193278.50
      02-21-2019, 04:01 PM   #43
eeyang92
Captain
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 LCI 6MT

I'd imagine most cars aren't putting out 95 dB while at neutral throttle. If you're nailing it past a cop you might have other issues other than noise lol.
Appreciate 0