BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > DCT stalling with start-stop

12-22-2018, 03:25 AM   #1
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2C

DCT stalling with start-stop

I was wondering whether anyone else was having issues with the DCT transmission due to the start-stop functionality?
My car has a little more than 10k kms and I've had to restart the car manually at stoplights +/-10 times already.

What happens is that the car is idling (due to the start stop functionality) and when I release the brake pedal, instead of reengaging as it normally does, the car goes to neutral, without offering the possibility of engaging a gear (D nor S) and I have to manually restart the car.

My car was from a very early batch (delivery in September), and I think I read something along the lines of a DCT update, so I was wondering whether this is an isolated issue or if this is more generalized?

I had the same issue with my F30 with ZF8 speed btw, but the frequency was much lower.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Jasonoldschool
Rep
Drives: R8

Hi I have a DCT issue, mine doesn’t stall but when I pull up at traffic lights and stop, the start/stop kicks in and hear a clunk coming from the gearbox as the engine stops, when it starts up I hear the same clunk. I have mentioned this to my local dealer and he says it’s normal.....when I have my running in service done I will take it to a different dealer and ask them. Hope you get it sorted.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Ive had something similar reversing up a very slight incline. Car stalls and DCT switches to neutral and the warning message pops up saying DCT in neutral. Can be a bit embarrassing/dangerous as you have to restart the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 12:28 AM   #4
3tekcorps
Major
Rep
Drives: In Gestation

Can't you just turn it off? It's annoying for many reason.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
urke85
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw X6M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonoldschool View Post
Hi I have a DCT issue, mine doesn’t stall but when I pull up at traffic lights and stop, the start/stop kicks in and hear a clunk coming from the gearbox as the engine stops, when it starts up I hear the same clunk. I have mentioned this to my local dealer and he says it’s normal.....when I have my running in service done I will take it to a different dealer and ask them. Hope you get it sorted.
Clunk is normal for DCT.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 03:59 AM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Just turn off stop/start, or even better code it off by default.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 10:20 AM   #7
sobek305
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxx

Or go with 6mt next time

Jk, inb4 track times
Appreciate 2
mikeahso411.50
      12-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #8
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonoldschool View Post
Hi I have a DCT issue, mine doesn't stall but when I pull up at traffic lights and stop, the start/stop kicks in and hear a clunk coming from the gearbox as the engine stops, when it starts up I hear the same clunk. I have mentioned this to my local dealer and he says it's normal.....when I have my running in service done I will take it to a different dealer and ask them. Hope you get it sorted.
I believe that's normal.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2018, 06:15 PM   #9
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spare View Post
I was wondering whether anyone else was having issues with the DCT transmission due to the start-stop functionality?
My car has a little more than 10k kms and I've had to restart the car manually at stoplights +/-10 times already.

What happens is that the car is idling (due to the start stop functionality) and when I release the brake pedal, instead of reengaging as it normally does, the car goes to neutral, without offering the possibility of engaging a gear (D nor S) and I have to manually restart the car.

My car was from a very early batch (delivery in September), and I think I read something along the lines of a DCT update, so I was wondering whether this is an isolated issue or if this is more generalized?

I had the same issue with my F30 with ZF8 speed btw, but the frequency was much lower.
Just drive in manual sequential mode and it will never happen because start stop won't work in that mode. What you're experiencing though isn't normal, if you're going to drive with start stop have the dealer fix it under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 03:20 AM   #10
Spare°
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Just drive in manual sequential mode and it will never happen because start stop won't work in that mode. What you're experiencing though isn't normal, if you're going to drive with start stop have the dealer fix it under warranty.
I usually do drive in sequential mode, but in heavy city traffic it's not optimal + it consumes more gas -> smallest gas tank in the world .
Anyway, just wanted to check whether anyone else on here had relatable experiences. Doesn't seem so, so I'll check with my dealership.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2018, 05:52 AM   #11
4PIPE
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
2008 M3 convertible  [0.00]
2014 M4  [0.00]
ive had 3 generations of DCT and this has never happened to me. you should def get it checked out!!
      02-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #12
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

The clunk at stopping is the car putting itself into park and happens on my brother F80 as well. However, I’ve got about 600 miles on the M2C and just experienced the same stalling problem in stop/go traffic. The car put itself into neutral and I had to manually start. Not the best and wondered if others have found fix/updates. November 2018 build.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 02:30 PM   #13
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

should of gotten 6MT

but seriously, have the dealer look at it. IDK why anyone would turn off start/stop, its very seamless in this car.
Appreciate 0