BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Diy Subwoofer Installation Video

01-27-2019, 12:54 PM   #1
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Diy Subwoofer Installation Video

I promised some guys to show how i did my subwoofer install.

here is how it went. if you got questions let me know.

thank you

msdss497.50
      01-28-2019, 07:07 PM   #2
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Thank you! I'll be watching it when I get home
      01-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SConn View Post
Thank you! I'll be watching it when I get home
best luck!
      01-30-2019, 09:26 AM   #4
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Great instructions. Thanks for posting that diy!
      01-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Great instructions. Thanks for posting that diy!
NP!

that Harmann Kardon sound system so disappointing, i swear the bass in my wife's rav4 is far better.
      01-30-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

You know... I can't remember the last time I had a stock system that I was happy with. And now they're so entangled with the head unit, it's hard if not impossible to improve them.

I will say my cousin's Dodge Ram truck has a great system in it!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 03:55 PM   #7
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You know... I can't remember the last time I had a stock system that I was happy with. And now they're so entangled with the head unit, it's hard if not impossible to improve them.

I will say my cousin's Dodge Ram truck has a great system in it!
that's why i keep my ford ranger ... changed the head unit, i got line out for sub. the sound is great.

my mod above improves the bass but don;t expect a super great bass since the input is coming from Hi-speaker line and not a SUB OUT preamped.

anyway .. it is what it is... im much happier now than stock.

stock sound systems in toyotas is pretty good btw.
      01-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #8
SConn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ya, it definitely needs a bigger sub to hit those lower notes. It's a cheap way to improve the sound. I'm not expecting perfection. Worth a try
      01-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #9
Banilejo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

Nice. What gauge power cables did you use? Do you have ASD still enables and does the sub makes it worse? I’ll probably be adding this in the spring. Happy with the sub itself so far?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 09:14 AM   #10
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banilejo View Post
Nice. What gauge power cables did you use? Do you have ASD still enables and does the sub makes it worse? I’ll probably be adding this in the spring. Happy with the sub itself so far?

you got solid questions >

Power Cable, i purchased a 30A fuse holder that already comes with AWG10 cable i think, after the fuse holder junction, my cables are awg8. but you are fine with going awg10 all the way.

ASD: i did not disable it because i'm cheap and i dont want to spend much $$ or much modifications on the vehicle wiring, it might be adding to it while driving, however, i do not notice it since i have DINAN which is already pretty loud.
the only time i notice it is when i stop at a red light and the car shuts off, then turns back on, for some reason, there is a 0.1 second bass BLIP that happens. I believe it's due to ASD kicking back on.

pros outweighs the cons. .

the only thing that i would do different if i was to redo this is to get the 12" Sub instead of 10" and to get my signal from the sub under the seat instead of the rear speakers. This will surely give you more bass grunt.

The sub i used sounded 2x better and deeper when i had it in my ford ranger because the signal was line out from the main unit and the speaker was right behind my seat.
in M2, the sub is in the trunk and there is no line in, i'm using Hi Input.

So if you want a bass that would rattle your trunk and mirrors, this is not your fix.

if you just want to improve the bass in the car, it works well.
      03-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #11
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by x7289155 View Post

Power Cable, i purchased a 30A fuse holder that already comes with AWG10 cable i think, after the fuse holder junction, my cables are awg8. but you are fine with going awg10 all the way.

ASD: i did not disable it because i'm cheap and i dont want to spend much $$ or much modifications on the vehicle wiring, it might be adding to it while driving, however, i do not notice it since i have DINAN which is already pretty loud.
the only time i notice it is when i stop at a red light and the car shuts off, then turns back on, for some reason, there is a 0.1 second bass BLIP that happens. I believe it's due to ASD kicking back on.

the only thing that i would do different if i was to redo this is to get the 12" Sub instead of 10" and to get my signal from the sub under the seat instead of the rear speakers. This will surely give you more bass grunt.

The sub i used sounded 2x better and deeper when i had it in my ford ranger because the signal was line out from the main unit and the speaker was right behind my seat.

So if you want a bass that would rattle your trunk and mirrors, this is not your fix.

The Underseat sub wires are accessable in the trunk(coming out of stock amp on left side under interior cover...They have stock low pass filters so they dont waste any power trying to play anything higher than 50hrz im guess...but they play DEEP they are thicker but I dont remember color...(I can check tomm if anyone wants) ...I uses Audio Control High->Low coverter/ DSP/ Bass Rolloff prevention...took out trunk interor and used spray dynomat...wired up a DVC Rockford 12" to 1 ohm to a 1ohm stable Kenwood 1200RMS...Only issue is with seats up its too well insulated...but one rear seat down and its rediculous and for some reason the bass isnt overpowering...also disconnect middle dash speaker get more power to highs
      03-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #12
x7289155
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM2Power View Post
Quote:

The Underseat sub wires are accessable in the trunk(coming out of stock amp on left side under interior cover...They have stock low pass filters so they dont waste any power trying to play anything higher than 50hrz im guess...but they play DEEP they are thicker but I dont remember color...(I can check tomm if anyone wants) ...I uses Audio Control High->Low coverter/ DSP/ Bass Rolloff prevention...took out trunk interor and used spray dynomat...wired up a DVC Rockford 12" to 1 ohm to a 1ohm stable Kenwood 1200RMS...Only issue is with seats up its too well insulated...but one rear seat down and its rediculous and for some reason the bass isnt overpowering...also disconnect middle dash speaker get more power to highs
Yes photos would be great
      04-12-2019, 09:42 PM   #13
DKX4///M
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4M CS

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M CS  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes photos would be great
heres an old setup...ill take close ups tommorow...the wire colors for the subs are online just google...stock amp diagram for your model

Video with Bass turned low, any higher the video drowns the highs, but in person @ about 1/4 power the amp perfectly matches the mids/highs,

You have to listen on a system with a subfoofer obv or you wont here the bass, but very crisp and tight IMO
Attached Images

Last edited by DKX4///M; 04-13-2019 at 08:16 PM..
Appreciate 0