BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Apple Carplay topics

12-05-2018, 01:14 PM   #705
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
Care to post them so we can see what's involved?
Considering he spent time in development the solution(software is involved) along with the fact that I paid 75 GBP, no .

Trust me its pretty impossible to screw up in the instructions and they are very straightforward and he will send you everything.
Oh I misunderstood that he's in U.K. and you're not he provided instructions since you can't see him. My bad
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #706
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Wow, full screen Waze! So handy, I use it to sniff out cops that's close by..

Today is officially the first time I'm actually envious that I don't have CarPlay!

Used it in a rental CTS and wasn't impressed at all but now with this new full screen hack, it's finally showing promise..

Great job, Wibbles!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:32 PM   #707
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Houbi View Post
Whibbles can program/code it for you and i've also heard the latest idrive (P...) will bring it out of the box.
Is that "latest iDrive" a firmware update, meaning my dealer can do it, or requires new hardware?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:46 PM   #708
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep
Drives: M3LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
Is that "latest iDrive" a firmware update, meaning my dealer can do it, or requires new hardware?
The latest idrive version is NBTevo_P - you do not want that version, if it is on that level I cannot help at the moment.

Version P does not activate out of the box.

To check if you can activate:

Go to the map screen, press the options button on the idrive controller, select Navigation Settings > Position and Version > Version Information

If it says NBTevo_N or O + some numbers, for example NBTevo_O18153l - then i can help you, if it says a letter less than N I can't help unless you get the headunit updated, I can assist with how to do that. If it says P then I'm not able to assist.

Hope that clarifies for anyone looking to activate.
      12-05-2018, 02:05 PM   #709
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Hi wibbles

Could you maybe install TIDAL and show how this performs in full screen mode?

Would be great if you could do that!
I can't do tidal, they want me to sign up for a subscription and in not doing that.

However it works in full screen
///M Houbi1653.00
      12-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #710
sixmode
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibbles View Post
The latest idrive version is NBTevo_P - you do not want that version, if it is on that level I cannot help at the moment.

Go to the map screen, press the options button on the idrive controller, select Navigation Settings > Position and Version > Version Information

If it says NBTevo_N or O + some numbers, for example NBTevo_O18153l - then i can help you, if it says a letter less than N I can't help unless you get the headunit updated, I can assist with how to do that. If it says P then I'm not able to assist.

Thanks for clarifying. Will investigate this afternoon!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #711
MR RIZK
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: AW M2C

Does this also make screen mirroring full screen?

Does it affect any other functions in iDrive or just CarPlay? Also is the USB coded to both enable and disable the functionality? Or just one way?

Kudos for working out what is required
      12-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #712
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Quote:
Considering he spent time in development the solution(software is involved) along with the fact that I paid 75 GBP, no .

Trust me its pretty impossible to screw up in the instructions and they are very straightforward and he will send you everything.
He's asking for instructions, like in steps involved, even if high level description, so that we can assess if we want to do it.
There's more than just how complicated the upgrade is.
For example, will I be able to undo it should I need to bring my car in to the dealer for service?
Will the alter any other software programming in the car, like engine, transmission, etc?
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-05-2018, 03:53 PM   #713
///M Houbi
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Hi wibbles

Could you maybe install TIDAL and show how this performs in full screen mode?

Would be great if you could do that!
I can't do tidal, they want me to sign up for a subscription and in not doing that.

However it works in full screen
Thanks mate for checking out, great news it does work in full screen!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:36 PM   #714
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
He's asking for instructions, like in steps involved, even if high level description, so that we can assess if we want to do it.
There's more than just how complicated the upgrade is.
For example, will I be able to undo it should I need to bring my car in to the dealer for service?
Will the alter any other software programming in the car, like engine, transmission, etc?
You download the software he gives you on a flash drive, update iDrive and restart the car.

Nothing else is affected, none of the custom coding I did via Bimmerlink/Bimmercode was changed.

Everything is perfect, with full screen CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 06:59 PM   #715
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
You download the software he gives you on a flash drive, update iDrive and restart the car.

Nothing else is affected, none of the custom coding I did via Bimmerlink/Bimmercode was changed.

No offense but that really tells us nothing.

wibbles

so sounds like you have some sort of software package that enables this. What exactly does your software do to the car? I think the rest of us would prefer to have details on what exactly is being done to the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #716
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

Are you working on P?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:00 PM   #717
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No offense but that really tells us nothing.

wibbles

so sounds like you have some sort of software package that enables this. What exactly does your software do to the car? I think the rest of us would prefer to have details on what exactly is being done to the car.
It's sounds like he doesn't want to share his proprietary software before someone copies it and begin reselling his 'invention..'

I don't blame him, he designed the workaround and deserve to reap the benefits of it.. Until someone reverse-engineers it and begin selling their own patch.. And someone will..

I'm sure the first person that cracked the N55/S55 ECU firewall felt like they struck gold but it doesn't matter now because every tuner is profiting from it..

If you don't feel comfortable buying it due to fear of the unknown, that's your prerogative but don't expect him to share his trade secrets..
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #718
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's sounds like he doesn't want to share his proprietary software before someone copies it and begin reselling his 'invention..'

I don't blame him, he designed the workaround and deserve to reap the befits of it.. Until someone reverse-engineers it and begin selling their own patch.. And someone will..

I'm sure the first person that cracked the N55/S55 ECU firewall felt like they struck gold but now it doesn't matte because every tuner is profiting from it..

If you don't feel comfortable buying it due to fear of the unknown, that's your prerogative but expect him to share his trade secrets..
Yea i can see that but i'm not trying to get him to reveal details. Just trying to understand if the software is cracking or unlocking something that will void warranty similar to how an ECU tune cracks the firewall or if it's just doing something that bimmercode could do and doesn't really tamper with the car, so to speak. Hopefully he can at least comment on that otherwise i'm out.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 09:08 PM   #719
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I don't blame him, he designed the workaround and deserve to reap the befits of it.. Until someone reverse-engineers it and begin selling their own patch.. And someone will..

I'm sure the first person that cracked the N55/S55 ECU firewall felt like they struck gold but now it doesn't matte because every tuner is profiting from it..

If you don't feel comfortable buying it due to fear of the unknown, that's your prerogative but expect him to share his trade secrets..
Yea i can see that. Just trying to understand if the software is cracking or unlocking something that will void warranty similar to how an ECU tune cracks the firewall or if it's just doing something that bimmercode could do and doesn't really tamper with the car, so to speak.
Just take your car to the dealer and play dumb if it stops working.. There is no physical indication that the Infotainment software parameters had been altered, you'll be find..

I'm sure he just re-wrote the coding, just like what Bimmercode does.. BMW just limited the screen size, due to safety reasons.. I.e it's safe and undetectable, unless you admit you made software changes..
Appreciate 1
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-06-2018, 12:37 AM   #720
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

wibbles does the software enable car play that don't have it enabled? or just increases the screen size? My car is arriving in two weeks, would love to enable car play from the start.
      12-06-2018, 12:54 AM   #721
Wibbles
Coding ECU's remotely
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m7ammed View Post
wibbles does the software enable car play that don't have it enabled? or just increases the screen size? My car is arriving in two weeks, would love to enable car play from the start.
your car will likely have the latest firmware so enabling carplay won't be possible.

version P is being worked on.
m7ammed209.00
      12-06-2018, 01:08 AM   #722
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am not sure what region you live in but CarPlay is now built into the "ConnectDrive" unit and is available as an annual subscription option here in the North America, on all new BMWs..

I haven't confirmed it yet but word is it incorporates the full screen CarPlay now from the factory.. But don't quote me on that.. It might still be screen-limited in US, due to our stringent regulations and idiot distracted drivers..

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...iption-service
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 02:26 AM   #723
m7ammed
Captain
Saudi Arabia
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I am not sure what region you live in but CarPlay is now built into the "ConnectDrive" unit and is available as an annual subscription option here in the North America, on all new BMWs..

I haven't confirmed it yet but word is it incorporates the full screen CarPlay now from the factory.. But don't quote me on that.. It might still be screen-limited in US, due to our stringent regulations and idiot distracted drivers..

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/...iption-service
I'm from Saudi Arabia, ConnectedDrive isn't fully functional here. Will have to see when I get the car what options are activated on the system.
      12-06-2018, 07:14 AM   #724
C_Competition
Private First Class
Rep

Guys it works and I couldnt be happier!

Thanks wibbles!

Super quick and easy, not even 5 minutes! The hardest part was to find a USB stick with max 8gb

Appreciate 3
Wibbles444.50
Aust350z243.00
      12-06-2018, 08:03 AM   #725
NY135ivishnu
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 135i

Quote:
your car will likely have the latest firmware so enabling carplay won't be possible.

please DM me, id like to do this to my car...
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 08:54 AM   #726
Abrunho
Private
Rep

Quote:

Fingers crossed for those of us stuck with the P version!

In Portugal Apple CarPlay isn’t offered as an option (when configuring the M2C or via ConnectedDrive Store) so Wibbles solution would be heaven-sent... specially with its full screen bonus!

Last edited by Abrunho; 12-06-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0