BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Do these pedals look off to you?

12-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

I had ordered some M Performance pedals and had the dealership install them. Is it just me or do they look a little... crooked?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #2
TheHaze
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2

Clutch looks kinda wonky in that pic.

Edit: Went back and looked at a picture of mine from when I installed them. They look a little off in the pic, but I really haven't noticed it in person.

Name:  20180724_130751.jpg
Views: 3413
Size:  323.2 KB

Last edited by TheHaze; 12-06-2019 at 06:25 PM..
Appreciate 1
tomtea55.00
      12-06-2019, 05:51 PM   #3
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Nope, that's just how they look, janky..

The kit to install those M Performance pedals are almost aftermarket-like..

(Excuse my filthy car, it's too cold to clean)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 06:08 PM   #4
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

ha, good to know we're not alone! #wonkypedals
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      12-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #5
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Yup mine are pretty jacked as well. I actually have a set of pedalhaus pedals and dead pedal that I plan on replacing them with. Looks a lot better IMO.

EDIT: stock photo from IND.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
      12-06-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Mine look a bit off too. I think it's normal and comes as a result of the way the pedals are positioned/angled. Probably don't notice it in stock form since the black rubber blends in with the dark background. Once you make them silver it becomes more apparent.

Appreciate 3
Poochie9103.00
nioh_lbbm21716.50
      12-06-2019, 07:49 PM   #7
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Mine look a bit off too. I think it's normal and comes as a result of the way the pedals are positioned/angled. Probably don't notice it in stock form since the black rubber blends in with the dark background. Once you make them silver it becomes more apparent.
That wheel looks amazing. Did you install yourself or did a shop do it? Mind if I ask how much you paid for everything?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2019, 08:18 PM   #8
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
That wheel looks amazing. Did you install yourself or did a shop do it? Mind if I ask how much you paid for everything?
Wheel:

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/oem-par...bC1sNi1nYXM%3D

Matte carbon trim:

Polar blue M1/M2 buttons (they're just decorative):

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...-m2-button-set

M2C/M3/M4 multi-switch (illuminates the M1/M2 buttons at night):

https://www.bmwpartsnow.com/oem-part...ch-61317849410

Install of everything was done at a local performance shop for $150

Also, keep in mind that you will lose the heating function
Appreciate 2
junx602.50
      12-06-2019, 10:42 PM   #9
atomsapple
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 X3M40i, 765RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHaze View Post
Clutch looks kinda wonky in that pic.

Edit: Went back and looked at a picture of mine from when I installed them. They look a little off in the pic, but I really haven't noticed it in person.

Attachment 2194205
Phenomenal picture
Appreciate 1
      12-07-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by junx View Post
Wheel:

Matte carbon trim:

Polar blue M1/M2 buttons (they're just decorative):

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...-m2-button-set

M2C/M3/M4 multi-switch (illuminates the M1/M2 buttons at night):

https://www.bmwpartsnow.com/oem-part...ch-61317849410

Install of everything was done at a local performance shop for $150

Also, keep in mind that you will lose the heating function
Thanks for the detailed info!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:30 PM   #11
jkoral
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

The would drive me nuts. It doesn't look like the BMW Stainless Steel pedals work on the F87: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...m/35000410099/

I had them on my 1-series (and they came stock on the 335is and 135is). I really prefer them over the M Performance pedals, not to mention the brake and clutch are covers that replace the rubber pads (so no drilling) and the gas pedal replaces the whole assembly. Easy to flip back to stock (which I did when my car was totaled).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:31 AM   #12
M2C89
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

I'm really glad you made this thread. I had mine installed at the port and noticed the same thing, but I wrote it off as one of those things I wasn't going to let bother me, no matter how off center and crooked they looked. I hoped no one noticed and figured trying to fix them would create more issues than it was worth. Now I don't feel alone and can almost accept it as "normal."

#metoo
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 12:47 AM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I'm really glad you made this thread. I had mine installed at the port and noticed the same thing, but I wrote it off as one of those things I wasn't going to let bother me, no matter how off center and crooked they looked. I hoped no one noticed and figured trying to fix them would create more issues than it was worth. No I don't feel alone and can almost accept it as "normal."

#metoo
You can't straiten it, the rubber backing only slips on one way, so there is no way to really screw up the installation.

As they say; it's what it is..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 03:55 AM   #14
tomtea
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I guess all that's left is to only take pictures of the pedals at a flattering angle. lol
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #15
McGary911
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 DCT

Wow. I guess I'm kind of glad I have DCT. That would make me nuts.

If anyone needs a clutch pedal, you can have mine. There's no way to order it without the clutch pedal if you have DCT. You pick up the shipping.
Appreciate 2
DanG10581.50
junx602.50
      12-08-2019, 01:58 PM   #16
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGary911 View Post
Wow. I guess I'm kind of glad I have DCT. That would make me nuts.

If anyone needs a clutch pedal, you can have mine. There's no way to order it without the clutch pedal if you have DCT. You pick up the shipping.
LOL. I have a clutch pedal also just sitting in the garage.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #17
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
LOL. I have a clutch pedal also just sitting in the garage.
Me three. I would like to point out that it is absolutely possible they were installed crooked. Anyone that installed this themselves will know that there is very little room for error since the available space to drill the 2 bottom screws is minimal and also practically right on a ridge of hard steel. If the 2 bottom holes are not level side to side your cover will be crooked, not to be confused with level with the brake pedal which cannot be fixed. Unscrew it if your not sure and pull off the cover. This will answer your question.
Appreciate 1
Cadillac358.50
      12-13-2019, 12:20 AM   #18
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I hate to say it guys, but I think the wonkiness is caused by incorrect drilling of the pedals. The clutch should be easier because it's plastic, but it's still easy to mess up.

If you'll excuse the dirty footwell, which is due to be cleaned this weekend, here are my pedals:

I do have an Ultimate Clutch Pedal installed which is why my clutch pedal is lower and level with the brake, but that doesn't change the angle of the pedal covers.

I know I'm in the minority, but I hate trusting others to work on my car for exactly this reason. If I do it myself and mess it up, I only have myself to blame and I can fix it in any way necessary... if others mess it up, they're tempted to say "it's good enough", or "no-one will know".

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 06:18 PM   #19
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I hate to say it guys, but I think the wonkiness is caused by incorrect drilling of the pedals. The clutch should be easier because it's plastic, but it's still easy to mess up.
Explain to me how if the rubber backing only slips on one way and one way only and the stainless steel plate fits into the set groves, how can someone mess up the drilling?

There is absolutely no way to screw up the alignment, even if you tried. The stainless steel backing would not fit into the groves if it was misaligned, plain and simple.

The drilled holes and screw are only there to keep the stainless steel backing from falling off, not for alignment.

Anyone here that installed it themselves can confirm that with certainty.

Also, the clutch pedal is 100% metal, if it was plastic, it would break after one aggressive stomp.

I just when through five separate threads on the installation where they all look the same as the examples above, so you're telling everyone screwed up?

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=833321

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1295904

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1104153

https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1003884

https://f10.m5post.com/forums/attach...8;d=1357039105
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 11:15 PM   #20
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

I don't want to get into an argument Poochie, you're a regular contributor to this forum and a strong part of our community, so I really don't want to offend...

I can't agree with your points though. I have fitted the pedals three times now, most recently yesterday morning when I swapped my UCP back in after having removed it for service.

The stock clutch is 100% plastic. This is one of the reasons people move to the UCP which is 100% metal.

If you remove the screws, the stainless plate will fall right off; they are there to hold the whole thing together.

The rubber does only slide on one way, but usually the rubber is fitted, hole locations marked on the pedal, and then rubber removed, pedal drilled and then all assembled. The issue comes when you start to drill. The pedal surface is hard, (especially the brake being metal), not totally flat, and in an awkward place being in the footwell. It's very easy to get the holes slightly off, and the slightest bit off center will still assemble and leave your pedals looking wonky.

One thing I will concede is that there is something of an optical illusion caused by the way the rubber and stainless lines are angled down and outwards.

Are you saying that you think mine look wonky as well?

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
chris7197331.50
      12-13-2019, 11:47 PM   #21
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
I don't want to get into an argument Poochie, you're a regular contributor to this forum and a strong part of our community, so I really don't want to offend...

I can't agree with your points though. I have fitted the pedals three times now, most recently yesterday morning when I swapped my UCP back in after having removed it for service.

The stock clutch is 100% plastic. This is one of the reasons people move to the UCP which is 100% metal.

If you remove the screws, the stainless plate will fall right off; they are there to hold the whole thing together.

The rubber does only slide on one way, but usually the rubber is fitted, hole locations marked on the pedal, and then rubber removed, pedal drilled and then all assembled. The issue comes when you start to drill. The pedal surface is hard, (especially the brake being metal), not totally flat, and in an awkward place being in the footwell. It's very easy to get the holes slightly off, and the slightest bit off center will still assemble and leave your pedals looking wonky.

One thing I will concede is that there is something of an optical illusion caused by the way the rubber and stainless lines are angled down and outwards.

Are you saying that you think mine look wonky as well?
I don't know what to say, I broke three platinum drill bits trying to penetrate the clutch pedal, I'm 99% sure it's metal the other 1% is because I know you're knowledge person, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt.

You telling me it's plastic is like It being a bright, sun-shining day and you're trying to convince me it's nighttime. Only the gas pedal is plastic, I believe they even mention that in the manual.

The rubber edge fits into grove of the pedal, it only goes on one way, so can't misalign it or else it won't stay on.

I know It looks off but that's only because the accessory quality is aftermarket-like. In fact, I had to run to Home Depot to buy some longer nuts and bolts to anchor them down because with kit they sent to install it, the bolts was too short to reach to other side.

You can tell it wasn't engineered to regular BMW standards, so they probably farmed out some third-rate company to design them.

It looking off was just par for the course, so I just ignored because as you see, it's identical to everyone else's.

Thanks for the kind words and I respect your contribution also, it was hella impressive when you designed that make-shift piggyback but I'm going to have agree to disagree with you on this one.

I'm one of those anal-retentive, perfectionist, kind of guys. If I thought it was not installed correctly, I would of ripped it off and do it over. Even it meant laying down in the middle of a blizzard to fix it but it's what it is, which is of poor built quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2019, 09:17 AM   #22
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

It is perhaps possible that the 2016 clutch pedal was metal, but my 2018 is without question plastic - i just double-checked it and I installed these pedal covers a couple months ago and clearly remember drilling plastic for clutch and metal for brake. The clutch pedals in the 1st and 2nd post are also definitely plastic - the difference in finish between the clutch and brake is obvious - especially in TheHaze's high quality image in post 2

Regarding install - yes the rubber boot makes a good drill template to mark the pedals but a sloppy installer could easily mis-drill and just ram the rubber cover on and tighten the metal piece down without regard to the misalignment. If OP is really concerned, then the cover should probably be removed so the alignment can be checked. It's a little awkward getting in there but not hard. It might be able to be corrected by enlarging one or 2 of the holes. I had to do this on my brake pedal as the bit walked a tiny bit and 2 3 holes ended up not perfectly aligned.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9103.00
AndrewC198910910.50