BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Suspension how to lower?

01-03-2020, 04:39 PM   #1
GT4-M2c
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

Suspension how to lower?

I'm considering lowering my car and possibly adding spacers to give the car a more aggressive stance. Are there are specific tools needed and what size spacers work with stock wheels and suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 10:37 PM   #2
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Do some searching on here. Some do 10mm some do 10mm and 12mm staggered. If you lower or increase tire width you may get run. Just head over to the suspension sub forum and you can find a good amount of threads with pics
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
      01-04-2020, 07:01 AM   #3
GT4-M2c
Rep

Thank you! I am not looking to change my wheels tires at this time, just looking to improve the stance by lowering a little!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:43 AM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

KW and Dinan make kits to convert the stock suspension into coilovers. Dinan is the preferred option, because it's tuned better. Changing out or converting your suspension is no small task. It requires quite a few tools and you need to gather torque values, etc. to do the job right. It can also be dangerous if you're not someone who's is use to working on cars. Unless you really want to do this yourself I recommended you take it to a shop instead. I've done coilover installs many times, they can be a real PIA. On the flip side it's rather rewarding to know you did it yourself. You'll also need to get the car aligned afterwards. Don't get spacers until the car is lowered. Lowering the car changes it's geometry and requires more aggressive spacers than stock height.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:49 AM   #5
GT4-M2c
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
KW and Dinan make kits to convert the stock suspension into coilovers. Dinan is the preferred option, because it's tuned better. Changing out or converting your suspension is no small task. It requires quite a few tools and you need to gather torque values, etc. to do the job right. It can also be dangerous if you're not someone who's is use to working on cars. Unless you really want to do this yourself I recommended you take it to a shop instead. I've done coilover installs many times, they can be a real PIA. On the flip side it's rather rewarding to know you did it yourself. You'll also need to get the car aligned afterwards. Don't get spacers until the car is lowered. Lowering the car changes it's geometry and requires more aggressive spacers than stock height.
So you can't simply lower the stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4-M2c View Post
The kits I mentioned replace the stock springs, but also add an adjustable perch so you can change the height to exactly where you want it. And, there's nothing simple about it. If you replace the stock suspension completely, just the springs or use a kit as mentioned they are all give or take the same amount of labor.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2020, 10:18 AM   #7
Kankles
Rear Admiral
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon

Garage List
2019 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4-M2c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tag View Post
Not without modification, i.e. adding one of the kits aforementioned by TAG or cutting the stock springs (please don't cut the springs, more of a joke).

If you just want "stance" then go with one of the kits mentioned. If you want stance and improved driving dynamics then a set of quality coilovers is a better option (this replaces the struts and springs while giving you height and other adjustment, compression, rebound, etc).

In most cases (not all), as you modify the suspension for more aggressive stance/handling, the ride quality will be harsher. Just something to think about and as previously mentioned- do your research as there's tons of insight/pics on this forum.

And please get an alignment after whatever suspension mod you do..
Appreciate 0