BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > EU F87 to US

07-13-2022, 01:40 PM   #1
DEFL
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

EU F87 to US

Hi all,

I'm about to move to Texas from NL and have the opportunity to bring my 2018 F87 M2C along.

Does anyone have a list of what needs to happen to meet the US EPA / DOT / local regulations?

I'd expect something along the lines of speedometer, bumpers (to get a silly reflector) and in the days of old head and taillights but can't quite find a list for this car specifically.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2022, 03:55 AM   #2
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFL View Post
Hi all,

I'm about to move to Texas from NL
Don't!!!
Appreciate 3
      07-14-2022, 04:11 PM   #3
DEFL
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Hah, well that part's not negotiable anymore I'm afraid The only question is what will it take to keep on driving in style.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2022, 03:36 PM   #4
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Well you'll definitely need front sidemarkers (new headlights with orange light and new bumper with orange reflector). I have no clue about the rest lol
      11-10-2022, 12:49 AM   #5
rotomoto712
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Convertible

It will be incredibly difficult and costly to permanently import it without using the show and display provision. I believe you can temporarily import for up to a year, however. Honestly, if your move is to be permanent, I would sell the M2 and buy another one when you get to the states. Although it may be valuable to you, it's not an unbelievably rare car that you can't easily replicate in the states. It's actually easier (relatively) to import a US spec car into Europe than it is the other way around.

If you are going to the US as a foreign govt. or military entity, than you have a lot more leeway.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2022, 05:55 PM   #6
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotomoto712 View Post
It will be incredibly difficult and costly to permanently import it without using the show and display provision. I believe you can temporarily import for up to a year, however. Honestly, if your move is to be permanent, I would sell the M2 and buy another one when you get to the states. Although it may be valuable to you, it's not an unbelievably rare car that you can't easily replicate in the states. It's actually easier (relatively) to import a US spec car into Europe than it is the other way around.

If you are going to the US as a foreign govt. or military entity, than you have a lot more leeway.
I second this... You're going to have a very hard (and expensive) time importing such a new car. Now if it was 25 years or older it would be ALOT easier. Back in 2012 I imported a euro spec e30 that was 23 years old at the time. I had to do a lot of DOT conversions to it but thankfully it was old enough to bypass EPA stuff.

If you're really set on bringing your M2 here contact https://jktechnologies.net. That's the conversion company I used. But it really would be easier and cheaper to buy a lightly used M2 here.

BTW, I'm getting ready to do the opposite of what you're doing; importing my M2 to Germany. And from what I've found in my research, it actually is a bit easier to import a US spec car (especially a German made car) to the EU than the other way around.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2022, 10:22 PM   #7
M2C-NLUSA
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp.

Do yourself a favor. Sell it in NL and buy one here for a fraction of the price. Ik ben ook Nederlands.