BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > No Winter Tires for M2C Euro Delivery?

01-04-2019, 03:09 PM   #1
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

No Winter Tires for M2C Euro Delivery?

I was just notified by edwintertires.com, which is the official winter tire rental for BMW euro delivery, that they do not have wheels or tires available for the M2C.

For those of you picking up your car in winter months, how are you dealing with this?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I was planning to pick the car up and drive to Neuschwanstein and Berchtesgaden, im pretty nervous about doing a trip through the Alps in January without winter tires ):
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 04:50 PM   #3
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
I'm just doing the "meet the car at the Welt" and leaving it there. According to BMW NA, they will not let you drive it off the property from October 15 through April 15 without winter M&S rated tires. I "pick up" my car on 2/15 and that's my plan. Disappointing for sure, but I found an allocation locally from my preferred dealer at MSRP and took the 5% ED discount. Flying for free didn't hurt me much since I travel for work quite a bit and have top status with AA...
      01-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #4
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I'm just doing the "meet the car at the Welt" and leaving it there. According to BMW NA, they will not let you drive it off the property from October 15 through April 15 without winter M&S rated tires. I "pick up" my car on 2/15 and that's my plan. Disappointing for sure, but I found an allocation locally from my preferred dealer at MSRP and took the 5% ED discount. Flying for free didn't hurt me much since I travel for work quite a bit and have top status with AA...
Yeah maybe I will rent another car from the Welt and not worry about the ice and snow wrecking my brand new car, still kind of feels like a second rate ED experience but oh well
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2019, 08:50 PM   #5
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
That's definitely not true so somebody is passing misinformation. I picked up October 31st from the Welt (and also know others who have taken delivery in later months with no issue). The German law is not that it is illegal to drive in those months, rather that it is illegal when weather conditions are poor. Not advocating the best choice here but that you are free to do what you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 12:03 AM   #6
FD777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
That's definitely not true so somebody is passing misinformation. I picked up October 31st from the Welt (and also know others who have taken delivery in later months with no issue). The German law is not that it is illegal to drive in those months, rather that it is illegal when weather conditions are poor. Not advocating the best choice here but that you are free to do what you want.
+1. During ED pick-up, you'll sign a "cold-weather driving conditions" form. You're acknowledging the winter tire requirements and release BMW from any responsibility.
Edit for correctness: I signed the form and returned it to my CA as part of the ED setup paperwork. BMW returns the form during your ED pick-up at the Welt.

Last edited by FD777; 01-20-2019 at 01:36 AM.. Reason: correction
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 10:26 AM   #7
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
My only information came from my SA at Classic BMW in Plano. When I informed him that the tire rental company had nothing, he asked BMW (not sure if it was NA or GmbH):

"Hello Robin,

Unfortunately ED winter tires is a separate entity from BMW, so we have no say in the tires they keep in stock.

The customer can certainly try to search online for other tire rentals if they are available, but ED winter tires is the only vendor that we currently recommend. It is a requirement by law in some countries to have winter or all-season tires on the vehicle during the winter months of October 15th- April 15th.

The only time the customer would not need to have said tires is if they were not driving the vehicle but leaving it at the Welt for transport the day of delivery.

Thank you,
BMW Group"
rich8566608.50
      01-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I'm having my car trucked straight from Welt to the port to board the ship. I rented a M2 competition from BMW on Demand at BMW welt for the weekend and it cost less than what it would cost to rent winter tires for my own M2C. So I'll drive theirs and keep the wear/tear off my own car for less money and not worry about the hassle of taking winter tires on/off and dealing with washing the car etc. Win Win.
Appreciate 2
Kankles1484.50
rich8566608.50
      01-07-2019, 11:35 AM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I'm having my car trucked straight from Welt to the port to board the ship. I rented a M2 competition from BMW on Demand at BMW welt for the weekend and it cost less than what it would cost to rent winter tires for my own M2C. So I'll drive theirs and keep the wear/tear off my own car for less money and not worry about the hassle of taking winter tires on/off and dealing with washing the car etc. Win Win.
not a bad plan, especially to be able to drive without regard for break in
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 11:37 AM   #10
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
My only information came from my SA at Classic BMW in Plano. When I informed him that the tire rental company had nothing, he asked BMW (not sure if it was NA or GmbH):

"Hello Robin,

Unfortunately ED winter tires is a separate entity from BMW, so we have no say in the tires they keep in stock.

The customer can certainly try to search online for other tire rentals if they are available, but ED winter tires is the only vendor that we currently recommend. It is a requirement by law in some countries to have winter or all-season tires on the vehicle during the winter months of October 15th- April 15th.

The only time the customer would not need to have said tires is if they were not driving the vehicle but leaving it at the Welt for transport the day of delivery.

Thank you,
BMW Group"
For sure some European countries have those rules and it varies from country to country. For Germany it's just when conditions are poor during those months.

That statement doesn't say to me they won't allow you to leave with the vehicle, which they definitely don't stop you from doing.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #11
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
not a bad plan, especially to be able to drive without regard for break in
True will go 155 as much as I please on restricted autobahn sections. Only downside is the rental is a DCT and my car is a 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:38 AM   #12
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
I was just notified by edwintertires.com, which is the official winter tire rental for BMW euro delivery, that they do not have wheels or tires available for the M2C.

For those of you picking up your car in winter months, how are you dealing with this?
Quote:

Not happy, my date is 02/12 3:30pm after emails with EDtires they finally confirmed no package available for M2C due to big brakes.

changed my plans: staying much shorter,
Arriving 1 day before, leaving 1 day after delivery, have a couple nice dinners buy a weird overpriced cuckoo clock? Then go home...

Was told Munich was the New Jersey of Europe in February, nothing to do, December at least has some nice holiday markets
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2019, 04:12 PM   #13
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD777 View Post
+1. During ED pick-up, you'll sign a "cold-weather driving conditions" form. You're acknowledging the winter tire requirements and release BMW from any responsibility.
Just signed my stuff today at welt did not see any kind of form like this
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #14
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I signed one at my dealership when we executed the contract. Interesting that is just released BMW from liability and nowhere did it say I HAD to have them. Even my SA was baffled based on the email we received from BMW NA that said it was required.
      01-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #15
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
I've attached a PDF of the document I signed at my local dealer in the US that is part of the Euro Delivery paperwork. This included:

Purchase Order
Terms & Conditions
Power of Attorney (allows BMW AG to register temporary plates)
Release and Customer Notification Cold Weather Driving Conditions
Authorization to Release Accident Information to BMW NA

It was 5 or so pages in total.

It appears to me to just be a notification and release of liability for BMW NA and AG. So the email I received was just a bunch of hokum.

Caveat emptor...
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Cold Weather Release.pdf (40.1 KB, 58 views)
      01-20-2019, 01:46 AM   #16
FD777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
I was incorrect and fixed my post above. You sign the form with your dealer/CA to setup ED.

Quote:
I signed one at my dealership when we executed the contract. Interesting that is just released BMW from liability and nowhere did it say I HAD to have them. Even my SA was baffled based on the email we received from BMW NA that said it was required.
Same story here and your attached form matches mine.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:19 AM   #17
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I've attached a PDF of the document I signed at my local dealer in the US that is part of the Euro Delivery paperwork. This included:

Purchase Order
Terms & Conditions
Power of Attorney (allows BMW AG to register temporary plates)
Release and Customer Notification Cold Weather Driving Conditions
Authorization to Release Accident Information to BMW NA

It was 5 or so pages in total.

It appears to me to just be a notification and release of liability for BMW NA and AG. So the email I received was just a bunch of hokum.

Caveat emptor...

So I ended up signing this at my actual delivery, they didn't have me sign it when I did all the paperwork for the ED check in. It just says that they are not responsible but my ED delivery rep told me they can't stop you from taking the car and they can't even prevent you from taking the car if you're drunk.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 11:21 AM   #18
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

By the way I rented a M2C from the welt, it had the blue brakes, OG M2 seats (I guess 2NH and M seats are optional in EU market). It had 18" wheels and 235 square snow tires on it.

I'm kind of annoyed I took the rental (at a cost of 500+) since the 3 days there was no snow or ice and the roads were clear. I ended up taking the rental because BMW said the insurance would not cover my car or anyone I hit if I had summer tires on. Plus my car would still be in break in and I wanted to haul ass on the autobahn.

There was a small snow flurry on the last 30 miles from Austria back to Munich but nothing was sticking. It was fun doing 240 km/hr at night around autobahn curves on 235 tires.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 03:55 AM   #19
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By the way I rented a M2C from the welt, it had the blue brakes, OG M2 seats (I guess 2NH and M seats are optional in EU market). It had 18" wheels and 235 square snow tires on it.

I'm kind of annoyed I took the rental (at a cost of 500+) since the 3 days there was no snow or ice and the roads were clear. I ended up taking the rental because BMW said the insurance would not cover my car or anyone I hit if I had summer tires on. Plus my car would still be in break in and I wanted to haul ass on the autobahn.

There was a small snow flurry on the last 30 miles from Austria back to Munich but nothing was sticking. It was fun doing 240 km/hr at night around autobahn curves on 235 tires.
Looks like I missed you by just a few days!

I also did the rental but only for one day so was €300 once I paid for gas. For a few days I think it's not worth the huge price, but it was nice to rip the car and not worry about break in.

Actually now that I think of it, I probably rented the same LBB M2C you did lmao
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

I also did the rental but only for one day so was €300 once I paid for gas. For a few days I think it's not worth the huge price, but it was nice to rip the car and not worry about break in.

Actually now that I think of it, I probably rented the same LBB M2C you did lmao
LOL looks like you found my entry in the notebook. My delivery guy Wolfgang told me the car had a Li Ion battery and not to overcharge it etc then I looked and it had a plain AGM battery.

The weekend rate was only 323 but I got dinged for 495 Euros because I went over on mileage (stupid BMW nav got me lost multiple times).

If you rented the same LBB M2C it was prob still filthy dirty. I think they only had one LBB and it had crap options. (no M seats, small brakes, 18" wheels, sunroof, automatic)

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 01-24-2019 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 04:00 PM   #21
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

LOL looks like you found my entry in the notebook. My delivery guy Wolfgang told me the car had a Li Ion battery and not to overcharge it etc then I looked and it had a plain AGM battery.

The weekend rate was only 323 but I got dinged for 495 Euros because I went over on mileage (stupid BMW nav got me lost multiple times).

If you rented the same LBB M2C it was prob still filthy dirty. I think they only had one LBB and it had crap options. (no M seats, small brakes, 18" wheels, sunroof, automatic)
yeah that's the one I had, they had washed it though so it was pretty clean when I picked it up.

agreed the German nav was confusing, even though I speak German haha
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #22
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
What's the current per hour/day mileage allowance? Sounds as if they have decreased it as it used to be quite generous and difficult to exceed.

They don't seem to publicize it anymore in the booking site.
Appreciate 0