BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Turbo Lag?

08-01-2017, 06:52 PM   #23
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motivate View Post
I agree. Though I'll likely rotate it with my other vehicles and end up driving it in a commute 2-3 times a week. Narrowing down my choice for my next purchase so just trying to get a review from actual owners.
Perhaps you could test drive a m235i and a new m4 to have a better idea? It's got to be somewhere in between as far as"lag".
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      08-01-2017, 06:59 PM   #24
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Just trying to gauge the level of power available below 4k. Other turbo cars that I have driven and owned drives like a 4 cylinder Camry unless I push it pass 4k or so, very uninspiring. Though I can enjoy it much more at the track, the bulk of the time spend would be driving it on freeways and around town. If it feels just like my 200hp turbos under 4k, it would be a disappointment.

I wish I can test drive it but dealerships around me either don't have it in stock or are asking $70k+ for their M2. Not going to waste time at a dealer trying to charge that kind of price even I don't have to buy it from them.
This is my first turbo car so I can notice the lag at low rpm but not once have I wished it delivered the power differently. I really like it - it still kicks like a turbo but revs quickly and pulls well to redline. The mid range torque is wonderful for DD and mine is a DD. It's my ideal car for DD, if I'm honest.

The only other turbo car I've driven was a last gen base Audi TT on the autobahn and the M2 definitely feels way more lively (in Sport+).
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 07:42 PM   #25
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

You guys that call this "significant lag" have never been in a 4 cyl boxer with a gt35r on it......its all relative.

This car is instant response compared to something like that.
Appreciate 1
doug_9992541.50
      08-01-2017, 08:02 PM   #26
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliams View Post
This is my first turbo car so I can notice the lag at low rpm but not once have I wished it delivered the power differently. I really like it - it still kicks like a turbo but revs quickly and pulls well to redline. The mid range torque is wonderful for DD and mine is a DD. It's my ideal car for DD, if I'm honest.

The only other turbo car I've driven was a last gen base Audi TT on the autobahn and the M2 definitely feels way more lively (in Sport+).
At what RPM are you feeling the mid range torque kick in?
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:04 PM   #27
texasyeehaw
Rep

There is turbo lag on a manual tranny. It is much more pronounced in comfort mode, it feels like the most lag exists between 1st and 2nd with power coming on at 3.5k rpm (this should tell you the lag exists at low RPMs, if you redline 1st and shift to 2nd in comfort mode, there isn't nearly as much lag). In sport +, turbo lag is much much much less noticeable - the throttle becomes hair trigger sensitive. If you don't want lag, just drive in sport +.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasyeehaw View Post
There is turbo lag on a manual tranny. It is much more pronounced in comfort mode, it feels like the most lag exists between 1st and 2nd with power coming on at 3.5k rpm (this should tell you the lag exists at low RPMs, if you redline 1st and shift to 2nd in comfort mode, there isn't nearly as much lag). In sport +, turbo lag is much much much less noticeable - the throttle becomes hair trigger sensitive. If you don't want lag, just drive in sport +.
So the consensus seems to be that more lag will be felt in manual. Basically drive the car like an M car should be driven at all times to minimize felt lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:19 PM   #29
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Perhaps you could test drive a m235i and a new m4 to have a better idea? It's got to be somewhere in between as far as"lag".

I've also considered the M240i and many reviews out there also say it has virtually no turbo lag and the kick is instant. I think that's an exaggeration too.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:24 PM   #30
texasyeehaw
Rep

Quote:
I've also considered the M240i and many reviews out there also say it has virtually no turbo lag and the kick is instant. I think that's an exaggeration too.
That statement is true if you are flooring it and driving like a bat out of hell. If you are at a red light making a left turn and in comfort mode, you will feel lag if you shift from 1st @ 4k rpm (half throttle) to 2nd (full throttle upon engaging 2nd).

Like any turbo car, lag goes away the higher rpms and more throttle you give it between shifts. I'd say the lag is most noticeable between 1st and 2nd and really goes away after that.

Comfort vs Sport + makes a huge difference in the lag.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 08:50 PM   #31
jjclyde
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Interesting discussion ... when I was getting ready to order my 2016 M235i, I test drove both the 6MT and the 8SportAuto. I am strongly biased toward MT, but the turbo lag was indeed more noticeable in the MT - noticeable enough that on my test drives, I thought the Auto seemed more spirited. In retrospect that was because of the kick in the pants you get by upshifting it under full throttle.

I was coming out of a Z4M Coupe and before that an E60 M5 6MT. Both of those N/A cars had the well-known low-torque at low RPM attribute - so you just drove them at the higher RPM range to be in spirited-mode. I digress ...

The point is that I was used to less-grunt-at-low-RPM - but nevertheless, my test drive of the M235i led me to believe that maybe it was time for me to accept the fact that quick-shifting autos (or DCTs) were the future - and especially because they help "manage" the turbo-lag. Also, my daughter (like father like daughter) insisted on a MT in her A4 - and that car really suffered from turbo-lag wimpy-ness until you got it to speed. So, despite suffering much ridicule from my daughter, I ordered an auto in my M235i - for the first time ever (in 30+ years of ordering BMWs to spec), I ordered a BMW without an MT.

After 2 years of ownership, I've decided it was the wrong decision - should have ordered the MT. Not throwing shade on the auto in the M235i - it really is quite fast, quite responsive. And it does indeed eliminate the presence of the turbo lag to a degree. But it also stole a lot of the intimacy-with-the-machine - just not the same experience as a MT.

My M2 (wk 33 build) will be MT. Time will tell if I'll find the turbo-lag to be annoying. My hunch is I won't - and that I'll be overjoyed to have the MT back - but it remains to be seen.

Interesting discussion, this one....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:36 PM   #32
texasyeehaw
Rep

jjclyde, the turbo lag is often over stated. You will be happy with your M2. Drive it in comfort vs sport + and you will see what I'm talking about.

Rowing through the gears is pure joy. I didn't buy this car to drag race or shave 0.4 seconds off lap times. I bought it to carve up the twists and turns on the road and it does it masterfully. (Even though Mustang GT 5.0s love to drag race me - I spank them every time hehe - I have yet to race a 350).

I drove a 370z nismo which had ridiculously stiff suspension and awesome grip and I can say that the BMW offers more comfort while offering more grip - I'm talking about taking country road, full on 90 degree curves at 90 mph - not a peep from the tires. Oh yeah, the M2 has a great cooling system - it does not break a sweat. I would have to pull back on my 370 because the engine would start to overheat after hard runs.

I just want the readers to know that turbo lag is noticeable but its not significant - especially in sport +. I would be lying if I said I didn't notice it in comfort mode, but its virtually gone in sport +.

The specs say full power at 1500 rpm but that's at full throttle in first gear and assuming you shift at red line - it is no lie but it is specific to those conditions. Normally, you'll get full power ~3500 rpm which is comparable to most naturally aspirated cars and its not like the car is a Honda 4 banger at lower rpms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjclyde View Post
My M2 (wk 33 build) will be MT. Time will tell if I'll find the turbo-lag to be annoying. My hunch is I won't - and that I'll be overjoyed to have the MT back - but it remains to be seen.

Interesting discussion, this one....
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2017, 09:49 PM   #33
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT

I've owned a total of four turbocharged cars, an 1988 930 turbo, a 2001 Audi TT, a 2003 first generation Mitsubishi Evolution, and now a 2017 M2 DCT (just had the 1,200 mile service done).

As far as lag goes, the 930 wins hands down and when the boost came on it was hard to control especially with that long ratio 4 speed it had the original KKK turbocharger. The TT had a tiny turbo, not much lag, but kinda slow. The Evo was much easier to drive but still had lag, but less due to the twin scroll turbocharger. The Evo also had a factory overboost function and would lower to about 14 PSI once the revs climbed past a certain point.

All these cars had manual transmissions and they all fell off the boost between shifts no matter how fast I changed gears. The 930 was the worst and the worn synchros compounded the problem.

I'm relatively new here and it seems the manual transmission M2 is the go to car based on other posts. I get that its more fun, etc. It's your cash pick a transmission. But I will unequivocally say that the turbo lag and off boost between shifts especially during quick acceleration is almost non-existent with the M DCT version of the M2.

If you don't want lag there is always a ZL1-1LE at the local Chevy dealer (belt driven boost) six speed !
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2017, 09:54 PM   #34
texasyeehaw
Rep

I would have been perfectly happy with a DCT - the M2 is great either way. I just love rowing gears and feeling that connection with the car - I don't care if its a 1.8L eco car or a sports car. My personal choice was a 6 speed but if my car got stolen and they only made DCT M2s available, I'd buy it all over again with a DCT
Appreciate 2
jjclyde125.50
      08-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #35
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Holy load of craps....

Turbo lag, turbo spool up and throttle response.

You need to know exactly what they mean to comment on "lag".
McPurrs290.00
boostm3683.00
      08-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #36
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Less since I did the Dinan S1 tune, really evened things out for me along the entire powerband. Honestly even before the tune I didn't find it too bad. Agree with Ktmdriver that my old Porsche 930 was at the top of the list when it came to turbo lag. One wrong move and that thing would spin you like you were on ice. Only fix came from going all in, adding more power, and letting the car pull itself thru the turn

Last edited by Transcon; 08-02-2017 at 12:50 AM.. Reason: Duplicate
Appreciate 2
BruceM984.50
      08-02-2017, 12:49 AM   #37
Transcon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F87 M2

Garage List
1966 BMW R60/2  [0.00]
1974 BMW 2002Tii  [0.00]
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Less since I did the Dinan S1 tune, really evened things out for me along the entire powerband. Honestly even before the tune I didn't find it too bad. Agree with Ktmdriver that my old Porsche 930 was at the top of the list when it came to turbo lag. One wrong move and that thing would spin you like you were on ice. Only fix came from going all in, adding more power, and letting the car pull itself thru the turn
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:31 AM   #38
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transcon View Post

I'm glad I'm not the only one who almost wiped out in the 930, considering I was a lot younger when I had that and more brave !

Question on the Dinan S1. I really did not want to mod my M2 as the car is great bone stock. I considered an exhaust, but hear some horror stories, rattles, droning, Bluetooth problems, more noise with no power increase, etc . Most of the exhausts don't net that much more power for the money and just create more noise and attract attention, not bad if that's your thing, but the S1 Dinan mod for $1,500 seems like money well spent.

That being said, did you do the install yourself? And does it void the vehicle warranty if done by the end user ? Do you know what Dinan charges to install it if you didn't?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:32 AM   #39
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
It is but just don't expect it to snap your neck when stabbing the throttle or expect it to be really touchy and instantaenously modular. It's still a turbo. It's laggy.
Sounds strange to me to call a M2 laggy.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #40
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ktmdriver View Post
I've owned a total of four turbocharged cars, an 1988 930 turbo, a 2001 Audi TT, a 2003 first generation Mitsubishi Evolution, and now a 2017 M2 DCT (just had the 1,200 mile service done).

As far as lag goes, the 930 wins hands down and when the boost came on it was hard to control especially with that long ratio 4 speed it had the original KKK turbocharger. The TT had a tiny turbo, not much lag, but kinda slow. The Evo was much easier to drive but still had lag, but less due to the twin scroll turbocharger. The Evo also had a factory overboost function and would lower to about 14 PSI once the revs climbed past a certain point.

All these cars had manual transmissions and they all fell off the boost between shifts no matter how fast I changed gears. The 930 was the worst and the worn synchros compounded the problem.

I'm relatively new here and it seems the manual transmission M2 is the go to car based on other posts. I get that its more fun, etc. It's your cash pick a transmission. But I will unequivocally say that the turbo lag and off boost between shifts especially during quick acceleration is almost non-existent with the M DCT version of the M2.

If you don't want lag there is always a ZL1-1LE at the local Chevy dealer (belt driven boost) six speed !
Please do not compare turbo lag of a Porsche 930 with an M2!
It is so wrong. A 930 does not provide boost until 4300rpm, then it all comes like a kick in the back. The M2 will deliver power from low rpm, with a DCT it is difficult to notice any lag, with manual in some situations you will.
Install sport cat if you want to improve Turbo spool further.
Previous: BMW M2 DCT M Performance Suspension/Stage2, Porsche 993 Carrera 2S, Porsche 993 Carrera 2, Porsche 964 Carrera 2 Cab,Mazda RX8, Porsche 930 Turbo, BMW M3 E36, BMW M3 E30, BMW M5 E34, BMW 325iM Coupe
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 02:01 AM   #41
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Two observations:

1) the car you are coming from is material to your assessment of lag. I also have a 930 (although it is heavily modded, including twin plugs and a Motec box), and that car kicks like a mule...when the turbo spools up. The M2 is practically lag-free by comparison. Far, far easier to drive anywhere, street or track.

2) As SeanWRT and others have noted, throttle input lag and turbo lag are not the same thing, yet some of these comments seem to mix them. If I suddenly floor the car at 2000 in comfort, and then in sport plus, I feel an equal amount of turbo lag each time. The driving mode makes a difference in the driver's sense of "lag" higher up the rev range, but even there, the issue is the difference in throttle input lag, not turbo lag.

On boost, and in sport or sport plus, the M2 is very responsive. Off boost, in any mode, it's less so...but whether or how much that bugs you may depend on what you are used to.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:25 AM   #42
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Jeez, there might be more people with turbo 930s than without...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 04:51 AM   #43
aerobat
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Jeez, there might be more people with turbo 930s than without...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 07:12 AM   #44
Ktmdriver
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Two observations:

1) the car you are coming from is material to your assessment of lag. I also have a 930 (although it is heavily modded, including twin plugs and a Motec box), and that car kicks like a mule...when the turbo spools up. The M2 is practically lag-free by comparison. Far, far easier to drive anywhere, street or track.

2) As SeanWRT and others have noted, throttle input lag and turbo lag are not the same thing, yet some of these comments seem to mix them. If I suddenly floor the car at 2000 in comfort, and then in sport plus, I feel an equal amount of turbo lag each time. The driving mode makes a difference in the driver's sense of "lag" higher up the rev range, but even there, the issue is the difference in throttle input lag, not turbo lag.

On boost, and in sport or sport plus, the M2 is very responsive. Off boost, in any mode, it's less so...but whether or how much that bugs you may depend on what you are used to.
The OP asked if anyone that owns an M2 feels any turbo lag in everyday driving situations. The answer is very slight amount of lag. Turbo lag that is. Now comparing other cars such as the 930 that had lots of lag may help someone understand that some cars took a while for their turbos to spool up and and for some cars it took longer.

I figured that most folks know the difference between throttle response and turbo lag, but maybe have never had the opportunity to drive a car that had lots of Turbo lag such as the 930. Maybe the OP should've just generalized and asked if the M2 has good throttle response in everyday driving with some quick acceleration runs and track use.
Appreciate 0