BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dinantronics Sport, Fabspeed Catted DP

01-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #67
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
You should swing by for the 'undercard' event!
I'd love to, but I think I'm picking up my car from detail shop that day. I will get out there sometime though.

Last edited by switlikbob; 01-26-2017 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:45 PM   #68
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
I'd love to, but I think I'm picking up my car from detail shop that day. I will get out there sometime though.
We don't have anything scheduled up yet but definitely feel free to stop by whenever!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:59 PM   #69
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
We don't have anything scheduled up yet but definitely feel free to stop by whenever!
Sorry, I thought it was going down this weekend. Thanks for the invite!
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #70
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, I thought it was going down this weekend. Thanks for the invite!
We still have to fabricate the downpipe so once that's all finished up we will get an install and dyno run scheduled up! I'm sure auf Deutsch will be posting in here when he's heading down. If you can make it, that would be awesome.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:50 PM   #71
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Gotcha, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
What's the time from order to delivery for these DP's?
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #72
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
What's the time from order to delivery for these DP's?
It depends on a couple different circumstances. We recently had a handful of orders get placed from Black Friday/Cyber Monday, then the holidays which pushed our lead times back a little. But we are consistently within a 2-3 week time frame which is still one of the fastest in the industry!
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #73
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Great, thanks for the info.
Appreciate 1
      01-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #74
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Great, thanks for the info.
Anytime! Feel free to reach out with any questions in the meantime.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 07:38 PM   #75
GADGS
Rep
Drives: BMW

This setup sounds like a good option for people like me who don't want to venture too far into the mod world but want some additional power. Has anyone gotten pushback from their dealer on the catted downpipe or dinantronics sport? I've seen comments on here that it's dealer by dealer, but are people finding that these two items are generally allowed subject to the "if we can trace an issue to the mod then you'll have a problem" disclaimer? I ordered the fabspeed catted downpipe without running it by my dealer, so I'm a little worried that I could have a problem. I'm assuming the downpipe is more likely to be a problem with the dealer than the dinan tuner box. My plan is to talk to the dealer about installing this setup when I take the car in for the break in service. Is the general consensus that this setup is pretty safe for the car if these are the only mods you install? Bit of a newb on mods, so thanks in advance for any feedback.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #76
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADGS View Post
This setup sounds like a good option for people like me who don't want to venture too far into the mod world but want some additional power. Has anyone gotten pushback from their dealer on the catted downpipe or dinantronics sport? I've seen comments on here that it's dealer by dealer, but are people finding that these two items are generally allowed subject to the "if we can trace an issue to the mod then you'll have a problem" disclaimer? I ordered the fabspeed catted downpipe without running it by my dealer, so I'm a little worried that I could have a problem. I'm assuming the downpipe is more likely to be a problem with the dealer than the dinan tuner box. My plan is to talk to the dealer about installing this setup when I take the car in for the break in service. Is the general consensus that this setup is pretty safe for the car if these are the only mods you install? Bit of a newb on mods, so thanks in advance for any feedback.
Your concerns are very common among the community. Yes, the most feedback you will get is it is based on a dealer by dealer basis so I can only share my personal experience.

I previously worked for my BMW dealership when I got my car. I installed our Sport Cat Downpipe and had multiple service appointments for oil changes, inspection, etc. Not once did my service adviser mention the downpipe or the Muffler Bypass Exhaust. Quite frankly, everyone commented on how awesome the car sounded.

I honestly do not think you will have any issues. If anything, the dealer will be more concerned with the software upgrades than the hardware upgrades.

Check your PMs! We can chat more if you would like!
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #77
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport View Post
If anything, the dealer will be more concerned with the software upgrades than the hardware upgrades.
Agreed. That being said, the Dinan sport tuner is about as safe a tune one can do (without a matching warranty). They've been in the business since forever and they perform overly extensive R&D on all of their products.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 11:07 AM   #78
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

It's not so much the dealer I worry about as BMW - if my motor goes tits up and I bring it to the dealer for a warranty claim, I'm sure the mother ship will be sending a rep to try & figure out why.

I don't see the DP as any real risk to cause a meltdown, but I don't want to be out of pocket for a huge bill because Heinrich didn't torque something down properly and BMW decides to blame my aftermarket part for letting all the smoke out of my engine.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 11:45 AM   #79
Fabspeed Motorsport
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Agreed. That being said, the Dinan sport tuner is about as safe a tune one can do (without a matching warranty). They've been in the business since forever and they perform overly extensive R&D on all of their products.
I agree, Dinan has definitely proven themselves over the years. Just from my experience alone - majority of cars these days are basically a bunch of computers connected together. I've found that most dealers are more comfortable with hardware components instead of software because almost anything that goes wrong can be related back to software. By no means am I opposed to software tuning (my M235i is tuned) but I figured I would share my experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimmethecash View Post
It's not so much the dealer I worry about as BMW - if my motor goes tits up and I bring it to the dealer for a warranty claim, I'm sure the mother ship will be sending a rep to try & figure out why.

I don't see the DP as any real risk to cause a meltdown, but I don't want to be out of pocket for a huge bill because Heinrich didn't torque something down properly and BMW decides to blame my aftermarket part for letting all the smoke out of my engine.
I would find it extremely hard to believe a downpipe would be the root cause to a meltdown. In fact, a higher flowing catalyst allows the engine to breathe better so I don't see it being an issue.
Appreciate 1
      01-26-2017, 11:46 AM   #80
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 jackrabbit on crystal meth

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Unfortunately, you're 3000 miles away from the manufacturer, in this case Fabspeed. I'm lucky to be close enough for them to install the DP, which I'm sure they've done dozens of times.

Find yourself a reputable shop. A downpipe installation is "relatively" easy to any skilled tech...no cutting/splicing/welding, simple bolt-on procedure like a cat-back.
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

retired: 2014 435xi|MPPK|335 bhp|3/5 stars
Appreciate 2
No Boost4019.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      01-26-2017, 12:05 PM   #81
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I'm not worried about the installation difficulty (I've installed DP's before, usually a no-brainer) or the likelihood that the DP would be the cause of an issue...only that it would be (incorrectly) blamed if something unrelated caused an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #82
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
...only that it would be (incorrectly) blamed if something unrelated caused an issue.
Without divulging into the whole Magnuson-Moss complexities......

The dealership/BMWNA has to prove that a certain component, in this case a DP, caused the particular problem. They can't just willy nilly say "your rear diff is busted. You have an aftermarket downpipe. That's the cause."
2017 BSM M2|6MT|Exec|black kidneys and gills|full alcantara wheel|CF spoiler|Dinan Stage 4|Dinan COI|Dinan free flow exhaust with resonator delete|Fabspeed sport cat DP|BMS clutch stop|465 bhp|4.75/5 stars

Appreciate 4
      01-26-2017, 01:21 PM   #83
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Without divulging into the whole Magnuson-Moss complexities......

The dealership/BMWNA has to prove that a certain component, in this case a DP, caused the particular problem. They can't just willy nilly say "your rear diff is busted. You have an aftermarket downpipe. That's the cause."
Once again this useless act is mentioned that was designed for household appliances. This only applies to oem specification replacement parts, not modification. In the act if you read it in it's entirety the manufacturer has the right to void the warranty upon modification of the vehicle if noted by the manufacturer in the owners guides. If you read the warranty provision booklet that comes with the car it is explicitly states that modifications to the emissions systems, performance enhancing software, etc will nullify the warranty. No proof is needed on what broke what on a modified vehicle. Plus a downpipe is illegal anyways. Enforcement of the sale of such parts has been lacking by the feds. Unless the emission modification caries a CARB approval or exemption your on your own.
      01-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #84
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by David1 View Post
Once again this useless act is mentioned that was designed for household appliances. This only applies to oem specification replacement parts, not modification. In the act if you read it in it's entirety the manufacturer has the right to void the warranty upon modification of the vehicle if noted by the manufacturer in the owners guides. If you read the warranty provision booklet that comes with the car it is explicitly states that modifications to the emissions systems, performance enhancing software, etc will nullify the warranty. No proof is needed on what broke what on a modified vehicle. Plus a downpipe is illegal anyways. Enforcement of the sale of such parts has been lacking by the feds. Unless the emission modification caries a CARB approval or exemption your on your own.
It is not a useless Act and, whatever its supposed "purpose," has been expressly recognized by the Federal Trade Commission as applying to cars and aftermarket parts. Moreover, the Act does in fact require proof of causation to nullify a warranty. SEMA is particularly interested in just this issue, as you might imagine. Note the quotation from an FTC bulletin at the beginning of this link:

https://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2011...ermarket-parts

Then read the bulletin itself:

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/article...ne-maintenance

Now, it is true that replacing a downpipe with one that is separately illegal because of emissions regs is not ok--that should not be controversial. But that is a different issue, and does not relieve the manufacturer of the burden to show that a downstream problem was caused by an aftermarket part, and not something else. Moreover, there are several kinds of aftermarket modifications that are not in and of themselves illegal. In the case of those, as well, the burden lies with the manufacturer to prove causation before it can deny coverage.

The shops I work with, at least, understand this issue very well.

Last edited by BruceM; 01-27-2017 at 12:21 PM..
Appreciate 3
No Boost4019.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      01-26-2017, 04:57 PM   #85
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Welp, went to the dealer with my setup for an oil change. Key read, saw the paperwork and there was no sign of it registering anything weird. No one said poo about my DP or the Sport tuner. And got to crush my buddies M3 at lunch. All is good in the M2 mod world.
Appreciate 4
No Boost4019.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
      01-26-2017, 05:19 PM   #86
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
Welp, went to the dealer with my setup for an oil change. Key read, saw the paperwork and there was no sign of it registering anything weird. No one said poo about my DP or the Sport tuner. And got to crush my buddies M3 at lunch. All is good in the M2 mod world.
I think this is the second time you mentioned beating your friend's F80. Even with the sport tuner and DP, he should still be up ~40 whp. Just curious, is he 6MT and you DCT or are you just a better driver, or what?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 05:31 PM   #87
RPM2-85
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 AW

Quote:
I think this is the second time you mentioned beating your friend's F80. Even with the sport tuner and DP, he should still be up ~40 whp. Just curious, is he 6MT and you DCT or are you just a better driver, or what?
Second through third, stick in both. IDK, just faster car. Pulls harder.

The dyno of the sport tune only, showed 408lbft to the wheels. I also have a DP installed on top of that. 367whp for the sport tune only, maybe i got an extra 15hp at the top with the DP?

auf is doing a dyno run when he gets to Fabspeed. I am very interested to see that one. Again, the car showed a big difference when I put the DP on. It was 1,000 miles after my sport tune went in.

His car is stock.

If hes running 395hp to the wheels and 400lbft to the wheels, makes sense to me they would be very very close in overall speed.

And I need to add, having a bunch of seat time in both now, I have ZERO want for the S55. It is nowhere near as smooth, boost comes in faster and it feels more NA in its delivery then the S55. Thats my experience. Before the tune and now especially the way its set up.

Last edited by RPM2-85; 01-26-2017 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 4
No Boost4019.00
BAN_M2C4154.50
BruceM983.00
      01-27-2017, 06:57 AM   #88
auf Deutsch
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM2-85 View Post
Second through third, stick in both. IDK, just faster car. Pulls harder.

The dyno of the sport tune only, showed 408lbft to the wheels. I also have a DP installed on top of that. 367whp for the sport tune only, maybe i got an extra 15hp at the top with the DP?

auf is doing a dyno run when he gets to Fabspeed. I am very interested to see that one. Again, the car showed a big difference when I put the DP on. It was 1,000 miles after my sport tune went in.

His car is stock.

If hes running 395hp to the wheels and 400lbft to the wheels, makes sense to me they would be very very close in overall speed.

And I need to add, having a bunch of seat time in both now, I have ZERO want for the S55. It is nowhere near as smooth, boost comes in faster and it feels more NA in its delivery then the S55. Thats my experience. Before the tune and now especially the way its set up.
F8x's, on average*, in general*, are putting down ~410-430 on Dynojets. There are many posts on that forum as evidence. The fact that you're able to hang with, let alone overtake your friend's M3 with your relative mild tuning setup is straight gangsa. Early February can't come soon enough for my DP install and early March can't come soon enough for stage IV. The stock Contis are going to think they've been through a nuclear holocaust.

And yes, while the S55 is way more tunable, it doesn't do much for me in stock form. I'd much rather have a modded N55 over it.

Appreciate 0