BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Paying Cash for Euro Delivery?

01-06-2019, 02:09 PM   #1
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Paying Cash for Euro Delivery?

My scheduled pickup date is 2/15 and the dealer is asking me for a check on Monday January 7th. Is this normal? That's 40 days before Euro delivery (I'm leaving it at The Welt and not driving it in Germany) and probably 90 days before actual US delivery.

If you're financing it, that would mean one or perhaps two payments before you will see the car. Is that reasonable? What was your experience?
      01-06-2019, 02:19 PM   #2
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

it simply needs to be finalized before you take delivery. typically a week before to ensure there are no complications (checks clear or financing goes through).

40 days prior i have never heard of and is definitely not normal. they have your deposit in case things fall apart. my two Ed's were finalized during the week before delivery. how you are paying doesn't affect the process or timing (cash, finance, lease).

doesn't matter about the u.s. delivery date. you're taking delivery in Europe so needs to be done before you take possession of it in Germany.
Appreciate 1
srwatters146.00
      01-06-2019, 05:26 PM   #3
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I was asked 40 days as well.

What really annoyed me was that I recieved my property tax before collecting the car back in the states. That really sucked!
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #4
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

What really annoyed me was that I recieved my property tax before collecting the car back in the states. That really sucked!
that's strange to ask so far in advance. I've not that happen with both dealers I purchased from (2014 and just a couple of months ago).

personally I would push back for justification rather than have them hold my money for so long
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2019, 05:45 PM   #5
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

that's strange to ask so far in advance. I've not that happen with both dealers I purchased from (2014 and just a couple of months ago).

personally I would push back for justification rather than have them hold my money for so long
I didn't even think to ask...which is stupid now thinking about it.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 12:41 PM   #6
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Usually it's 2 weeks prior to going everything has to be settled up. I financed with BMW FS and since i'm doing ED they set my first payment not to be due until a month after I take delivery in Munich.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 02:13 PM   #7
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
I talked to my SA yesterday. He claims the regardless of financing or cash, he has to have the paperwork & payment arrangements finalized and sent to BMW NA 30 days before I pick up the vehicle in Munich. I questioned him noting others have told me two weeks, and he stood firm. Not worth my time to chase it up the corporate ladder, so I'll pay 30 days in advance.
      01-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #8
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
I talked to my SA yesterday. He claims the regardless of financing or cash, he has to have the paperwork & payment arrangements finalized and sent to BMW NA 30 days before I pick up the vehicle in Munich. I questioned him noting others have told me two weeks, and he stood firm. Not worth my time to chase it up the corporate ladder, so I'll pay 30 days in advance.
I definitely wrapped up my deal in less than 30 days before leaving, in fact they just charged my credit card for my down payment a few days ago and i'm going in 8 days.

There's a purchase order to BMW ED that has to be sent well in advance but I think that's separate from the dealership collecting funds.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 04:52 PM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
sounds like the dealer is tying the euro delivery purchase order with the funds completed. that should not be the case, but yeah not the biggest deal in the world.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #10
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

My dealer just told me last night when i signed that they need the down payment before I leave for ED. This is my first time buying a car so I'm fully ignorant but I didn't think they'd need it until I collected in the US, so now I have to move a bunch of money around last minute while the market is on fire since I wasn't expecting to cut the check for two more months.

Kind of sucks, but whatever :P
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
My dealer just told me last night when i signed that they need the down payment before I leave for ED. This is my first time buying a car so I'm fully ignorant but I didn't think they'd need it until I collected in the US, so now I have to move a bunch of money around last minute while the market is on fire since I wasn't expecting to cut the check for two more months.

that part is definitely true. you need to finalize the contract before you take delivery... anywhere. for all they know you can take delivery in Europe and never drop it off again.

so any down payment plus finance or lease finalization is due prior to euro delivery.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #12
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
that part is definitely true. you need to finalize the contract before you take delivery... anywhere. for all they know you can take delivery in Europe and never drop it off again.

so any down payment plus finance or lease finalization is due prior to euro delivery.
Yeah it makes perfect sense, I just didn't put that much thought into it and it wasn't communicated to me by my SA since he probably assumed it was common knowledge.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 09:03 AM   #13
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Get a loan, rates are still pretty low. Leave your money invested.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #14
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Get a loan, rates are still pretty low. Leave your money invested.
The car is a partial gift from my Dad since he agreed to buy me a car if I got a full scholarship to school, since he is giving me $30k for the car I want to just put that down, it would be kind of weird to not just put it towards the car as a gift.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 10:31 AM   #15
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
The car is a partial gift from my Dad since he agreed to buy me a car if I got a full scholarship to school, since he is giving me $30k for the car I want to just put that down, it would be kind of weird to not just put it towards the car as a gift.
Tell him if you invest it you can turn his 30k gift into a 60k gift and then he can get a M2 downpayment also
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2019, 04:58 PM   #16
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Tell him if you invest it you can turn his 30k gift into a 60k gift and then he can get a M2 downpayment also
Hey I'm not disagreeing that the math makes sense to take a loan and invest all the money, that just feels a little dishonest to do for a gift haha
Appreciate 0