BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Just installed a Wagner DP on my car, have a couple of questions...

06-30-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Just installed a Wagner DP on my car, have a couple of questions...

First off, the DP is a perfect fit. I installed it in my garage, took my time and everything went smoothly. Car sounds good, pulls better, overall happy with the results.

Question for those that have installed a DP on your car. In order to unclip the O2 sensors at the engine, you need to remove the engine cover. After I took the engine cover off, there is a large foam piece that is there, I took that off too so I could access the 02 sensor clips. When I put everything back, trying to get that foam piece back is near impossible for me. I ended up leaving it off. Also a piece of that foam ripped. I assume the foam is just for sound deadening? Did you also take that foam off? Were you able to get it back installed?

2nd question, the DP I installed is catless so obviously more gas smell. The tips are more black now too. I am running a BM3 stage 1 map. Does the car need some time to adapt to the new DP install? Just seems to be running rich. I know that having gas smell etc just comes with the territory on the install I did. Just wondering if there is a way I can lessen it. Not the end of the world but wanted to ask what you guys think.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

That foam actually helps the engine cover stay in place. When I put everything back together it seemed pretty important for a tight fit. Might be worth ordering up another if it ripped.

Your DP is catless. There is nothing scrubbing your exhaust anymore. No adaptations will improve this. That said if you have a leak at the DP it will make your life a little worse. Did you buy a new crush washer for the OEM vband at the post-cat connection? If not, you're leaking. This part (18307620349) includes a ONE-TIME USE metal crush gasket. Most DIYs don't even mention this piece. Do not re-use your stock one.

All turbos seem to run a little rich. This is probably a protective measure. But even with perfect AFRs it's still going to stink to high hell. Personally I would have gone with a cat.
      07-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #3
dcgolfdr
Wheelsucker
United_States
Rep
Drives: Truck

I pulled back the foam on the side of the sensors but didn’t remove. Pretty sure you want that get another foam piece.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2018, 08:47 AM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

It is mainly noise suppression and helps cut back from radiating heat coming up from the top of the engine back to the engine compartment wall and windshield. You can prolly live without it....might help the top of the engine stay cool and the fuel rail. I tore mine when I took it out and put back in from the JB4 but i got it back in so I left it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:01 PM   #5
zywangjoey
Private
Rep
Drives: White M2 6MT

Was it easy to DIY?
I am considering on doing it myself
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2018, 02:43 PM   #6
425M2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 - Mineral Gray

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zywangjoey View Post
Was it easy to DIY?
I am considering on doing it myself
Looking back, yea it wasn't too hard. Did it in my garage while my car was on jack stands.
Appreciate 0