BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > "Double or Nothing. Some BMW Dealers Are Marking Up The M2 Big Time"

12-02-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
823BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5, 2020 Tesla Y, 2020 Z4

"Double or Nothing. Some BMW Dealers Are Marking Up The M2 Big Time"

From 12/1/16 Car and Driver blog about M2 markups:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/double-...e-m2-big-time/
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 04:21 AM   #2
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I am getting sick of these click bait "articles" that various automotive publications are creating on a regular basis. They are so desperate to have something to publish they come up with rubbish. Sure there is a dealer in LA asking outrageous money for the M2, not sure how that is news worthy of Car and Driver.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 07:48 AM   #3
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
I'm glad a national auto publication is outing these dealers, especially those Cenrury West jag offs. C&D is simply making people aware of the disgusting and greedy price gouging taking place in the US, specifically SoCal. I guess I should be thankful I don't live in a region where one's automobile doesn't define him/herself.
Appreciate 2
      12-04-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I am getting sick of these click bait "articles" that various automotive publications are creating on a regular basis. They are so desperate to have something to publish they come up with rubbish. Sure there is a dealer in LA asking outrageous money for the M2, not sure how that is news worthy of Car and Driver.
Disagree

They pointed out that they loved it, then went to go see about getting one, and then basically blame themselves for part of the hype. And the fact is, lots of dealers ask for (and get) over MSRP for this car. Nothing wrong with this article at all and not sure how it was "click bait" in any way.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #5
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

And the problem is what? It's called free enterprise. And, the fact that I will pay MSRP makes me incredibly happy to see dealers up-charging for the M2. Only helps the depreciation of my car.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 01:25 AM   #6
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Disagree

They pointed out that they loved it, then went to go see about getting one, and then basically blame themselves for part of the hype. And the fact is, lots of dealers ask for (and get) over MSRP for this car. Nothing wrong with this article at all and not sure how it was "click bait" in any way.
I guess my problem is Car and Driver is writing an article on what one dealer is charging for a particular model. The article points out that there are plenty of cars nationally for MSRP or near MSRP so its kind of pointless and not worthy of their publication. With traditional subscriptions struggling they and other publications are forced to essentially create news to get clicks to support their business. There are many online sources that produce essentially nothing, Car and Driver is still a good magazine but I am a bit frustrated to see them join in on the news creation business.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 07:14 PM   #7
Jeff01234567
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp, M-B A220

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I guess my problem is Car and Driver is writing an article on what one dealer is charging for a particular model. The article points out that there are plenty of cars nationally for MSRP or near MSRP so its kind of pointless and not worthy of their publication. With traditional subscriptions struggling they and other publications are forced to essentially create news to get clicks to support their business. There are many online sources that produce essentially nothing, Car and Driver is still a good magazine but I am a bit frustrated to see them join in on the news creation business.
I've been following M2 prices ever since they became available in the USA around April and I have yet to see one anywhere near MSRP for sale on Autotrader. Even private parties post ridiculous prices. I've seen one person list one with around 2,000 miles for $100k. The posting is gone now so either the seller came to his senses or there was actually a buyer stupid enough to fork over that amount of cash. Maybe it's just a California thing.

It's so disheartening to see this car being marked-up so much. Don't dealers realize that they are doing the brand name a disservice by charging such exorbitant prices? At $80-100k, you're looking at 911, Corvette, and GT-R level of competition, not to mention every other M model currently for sale. At that point, the M2 doesn't even have a reason to exist anymore.

I wish more publications would call out this kind of practice.
Appreciate 0