BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > 360PS X4 M40i leaked - M2 engine specs I guess?

10-05-2015, 09:00 PM   #243
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Man View Post
The N54 is a great engine, but it is a poor implementation of direct injection, hence the carbon build-up issues. I believe the more recent DI engine designs are better at mitigating the problem, but I'm not sure if there are any pure DI designs that are build-up free.
The GT86 motor that has both DI and port injection is probably pretty close.
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #244
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkiedm4 View Post
Just FYI the N55 in M135/M235 models has a forged crank.
We've already been over that. Cite a source.
BMW has slowly been very coy about removing these references from M125i and M235i specs. I have looked and this can no longer be referenced from BMW.

However I've owned an M235i and read all reviews and specs before doing so, it was stated as having a forged crank,

Quick reference review here, first search I found:-

http://www.motoringresearch.com/car-...014-0131939452

Why would BMW do this? To make the M2 engine seem more special? Was it ever there in an M235i in the first place?

I for one am CERTAIN that it was marketed thus, why it is no longer I cannot honestly say.
      10-06-2015, 03:14 PM   #245
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Oh, that was a big motivator. They realized the N54 was overkill in the power handling department, overly complex (piezo injectors, etc.) and not as efficient as it could be.

Not that we need to start this discussion, but it's amazing BMW owners weren't more pissed when they yanked out the N54, gave them a less potent N55 (don't get me wrong, I love my N55 too) with a misleading "twinpower" label on it, and left pricing the same.
2012 CAFE laws are what required the need for a more efficient powerplant.
This is why the 1M came out as a 2011 not a 2012 in the US.
the same push is occurring in Europe as well.. hence the efficient dynamics tagline..

As far as bimmer fans.. the natural effect of a person thinking that newer = better..... is huge.
How many N55 vs N54 wars were there? With N55 owners CONVINCED that they have the better motor because it " replaced" the N54? Even with lower power figures printed on the page.. they felt... well it will be able to be tuned more.... etc. And of course.. N55 owners then felt that N54 owners were just " hating "... so... nah.... not really..

And guess what gets more stringent for 2016 ... and you see that BMW is just in time with a B48 and B 58 for their bread and butter models..

http://www.nhtsa.gov/PR/DOT-56-10

Starting with 2012 model year vehicles, the rules together require automakers to improve fleet-wide fuel economy and reduce fleet-wide greenhouse gas emissions by approximately five percent every year. NHTSA has established fuel economy standards that strengthen each year reaching an estimated 34.1 mpg for the combined industry-wide fleet for model year 2016. .

To be perfectly honest... with a G01 X3 coming.... the N55B030T0 may not be around very long..

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 10-06-2015 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0