BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Project 2 - 2019 M2 Competition street/track build

02-20-2020, 01:49 PM   #45
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, M4 GTS, HP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lienrocs View Post
Good to hear. What spring rates?
80N Front, 140N Rear. Trying to keep it civilized on the street but still firm and controlled on track.
So that's about 700 in/lbs in the front and 1200 rear. How long are the front and rear springs? It looks like you're using a tender spring in the front and I'm assuming in the rear as well. Those are pretty high spring rates. It should be an absolute weapon on track. I'm interested how it's going to be day to day. Looking to do a similar set up on an M4 that's also a daily so this is going to be a great source of information. Such a sick car. It's begging for a wing. I think the new M2 CS racing rear wing would be legendary on this car. Some old school looking flair meets new school tech. Very cool. 👍
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2020, 02:40 PM   #46
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5

Quote:
So that's about 700 in/lbs in the front and 1200 rear. How long are the front and rear springs? It looks like you're using a tender spring in the front and I'm assuming in the rear as well. Those are pretty high spring rates. It should be an absolute weapon on track. I'm interested how it's going to be day to day. Looking to do a similar set up on an M4 that's also a daily so this is going to be a great source of information. Such a sick car. It's begging for a wing. I think the new M2 CS racing rear wing would be legendary on this car. Some old school looking flair meets new school tech. Very cool. ��
I don't remember the spring length, but will look through my documentation later. Yes, tender springs on both front and rear.

Luckily it's not my daily driver, so any daily discomfort isn't noticed by me. I just drive it on the street on nice Fridays, etc.

I had a similar setup on my M4 with JRZ RS Pro dampers. It wasn't bad, but depends on your tolerance

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do on aero still. I like the idea of M2CS front lip, and the rear wing. I just don't like the attention the wing gets when I'm tooling around town. Those are mods yet to come.

This is usually a slippery slope for me. It quickly turns into "insane build"
Appreciate 3
Lienrocs701.00
yoboi76.50
243Racing1447.50
      02-21-2020, 07:30 AM   #47
19x
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

A cage with cupholders lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 01:25 PM   #48
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post
Is that what your running ?

Are you on stock exhaust?
Had, car is sold now. But yes it was the FI pipe on the stock tune with M performance exhaust. No CELs. Really helped throttle response noticeably and butt dyno registered an improvement. Sounded very good too, quiet until you got on it. General rule of thumb is all modern performance cars need to breathe better IMO. I suspected catless DP would be better but I find them obnoxious from a sound and smell perspective without much gain. Cheaper, but not really much better.
      02-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #49
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Are yours on top like mine? Or under the floor adapter? Or were you able to get under the factory Torx bolt? A photo would be great still!

I started with VAC side mounts but I was just a bit short of center to the wheel. These side mounts are the Sparco QRT specific mounts and they were bent at a perfect 90 unlike the VACs. I think that is why I was able to get further over to center the wheel.

When my roll cage guy finally gets me in, I’m gonna have him drill through the floor/tunnel and give me real anchor points for the 6 point.
Pics of the mounts. Not the best pics, but you get the idea.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #50
FIDDIE
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI

What about roll cage?

Looks amazing!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 10:33 AM   #51
mcgarnigle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C

How does the fall line rollbar attach?

Is the main hoop drilled through the floor?

And where does the support hoop bolt to?

Great looking car!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:56 PM   #52
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgarnigle View Post
How does the fall line rollbar attach?

Is the main hoop drilled through the floor?

And where does the support hoop bolt to?

Great looking car!

Yes, the main hoop is drilled through the floor. However, the underbody paneling hides the bolts on the bottom. The support hoop bolts to factory mounting points in the trunk area.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:08 PM   #53
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

What end links are you using front and rear?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:10 PM   #54
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nitron end-links up front due to the change in location of the mounts

Stock end-links in the rear for now.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:12 PM   #55
Lienrocs
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nitron end-links up front due to the change in location of the mounts

Stock end-links in the rear for now.
Does nitron include end links with the kit or did you have to purchase them separately? Do you know the length by chance?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:36 AM   #56
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Does nitron include end links with the kit or did you have to purchase them separately? Do you know the length by chance?
Yeah, they come in the kit. The length of the set I'm using is 255-290mm (center to center). I haven't measured the full length of where I have them set to now.
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      02-25-2020, 09:18 AM   #57
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboyE92 View Post
Are yours on top like mine? Or under the floor adapter? Or were you able to get under the factory Torx bolt? A photo would be great still!

I started with VAC side mounts but I was just a bit short of center to the wheel. These side mounts are the Sparco QRT specific mounts and they were bent at a perfect 90 unlike the VACs. I think that is why I was able to get further over to center the wheel.

When my roll cage guy finally gets me in, I'm gonna have him drill through the floor/tunnel and give me real anchor points for the 6 point.
They are top side, like yours. The sub-bracket in the rear also made it difficult to mount under the brackets. I was also limited by rear-ward spacing due to how far back I have the seats mounted.

I'll get better pics of the belt mounts themselves tonight.
I highly recommend Brey Krause seat mounts. They have both direct to floor and side mounts made for factory sliders. 1000x's more simple and cleaner option than what I'm seeing in the pics. None of the BS adaptors, eyelets, etc that you need to use. Seriously a game changer.

PS - I love the car! Did you consider 18" wheels? The Essex brakes open you up the option of running 18" which is a bonus.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 11:48 AM   #58
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
I highly recommend Brey Krause seat mounts. They have both direct to floor and side mounts made for factory sliders. 1000x's more simple and cleaner option than what I'm seeing in the pics. None of the BS adaptors, eyelets, etc that you need to use. Seriously a game changer.

PS - I love the car! Did you consider 18" wheels? The Essex brakes open you up the option of running 18" which is a bonus.
While I appreciate the simplicity of the BK slider setup, it's not *that* much different from what I'm running. I also get the option of lower overall mounting height, which is important for me (I'm all torso and have helmet clearance problems in many cars).

The eyelets are sewn into the belts, and come out of my old GT3, so I had them sitting around. They attach to a similar set of brackets as the BK setup. I could achieve the clip-in style of the BK by simply adding an eye-bolt where the eyelets are currently bolted. Clearly, though, the BK setup would make overall installation process simpler - but does make we wonder about centering the seat.

Regarding 18" wheels - no, unfortunately. I picked up the wheels before I decided to move forward with the AP setup. Originally I was going to give the factory brakes a try, but ultimately decided against it after bashing on the AP setup in my RS while at VIR. I'm a brake whore, and once you try the AP kit, it's really hard to use anything else.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:19 PM   #59
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Quote:

While I appreciate the simplicity of the BK slider setup, it's not *that* much different from what I'm running. I also get the option of lower overall mounting height, which is important for me (I'm all torso and have helmet clearance problems in many cars).

The eyelets are sewn into the belts, and come out of my old GT3, so I had them sitting around. They attach to a similar set of brackets as the BK setup. I could achieve the clip-in style of the BK by simply adding an eye-bolt where the eyelets are currently bolted. Clearly, though, the BK setup would make overall installation process simpler - but does make we wonder about centering the seat.

Regarding 18" wheels - no, unfortunately. I picked up the wheels before I decided to move forward with the AP setup. Originally I was going to give the factory brakes a try, but ultimately decided against it after bashing on the AP setup in my RS while at VIR. I'm a brake whore, and once you try the AP kit, it's really hard to use anything else.
The BK mounts would likely get you lower. They offer a direct to floor mount (no slider). Versus the thick universal mount from VAC mated to Sparco side mounts that you are using.

Couldn't agree more on the AP kit. I love mine!

I have some interesting 18" wheel options from BBS laying around if you are interested (e88, GT4...)
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 12:40 PM   #60
243Racing
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:

I have some interesting 18" wheel options from BBS laying around if you are interested (e88, GT4...)
you had my curiosity, and now you have my attention
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 12:41 AM   #61
HELROTM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 1995 e36 M3

Quote:
Hello All,

I would like to introduce "Project 2" - my 2019 M2 Competition build thread.

The purpose of this build (for now) is to offer an alternative street/track car build to suit my preferences as both an owner and driver. I also just like to tinker with cars, and this is simply an excuse to do that.

The goal for this project is simple - the benchmark is "Project 1", my GT3RS in track form. I would like to see P2 getting track times close to the RS, without the entirety of the cost. I'm not sure how close we'll get, but it should be fun trying.

The Mod List as it sits today:
- Nitron R3 Coilovers with custom spring rates
- Essex Parts AP Racing Radi-Cal brake kit front and rear
- Eisenmann Performance Valved Exhaust with carbon tips
- Forgeline GSR1 wheels in satin black
- Michelin PSC2s
- Fall-Line Motorsports Rear Upper bearings
- Fall-Line Motorsports Rear Race Toe Links
- Fall-Line Motorsports Front monoball
- Fall-Line GTR Roll Bar
- Fall-Line Rear-seat closeout
- VAC Motorsports floor mounts
- VAC Motorsports fire extinguisher mount
- Sparco Evo II seats
- Schroth 6-point Harness
- Front half Xpel wrapped by Darien Detail
- Windows tinted 35% all around, 70% on windshield
- BMW Carbon rear spoiler
- BMW M Performance steering wheel
- Custom coding to remove airbags, seatbelts, etc.
- Custom coding for Euro MDM and CS DCT map

- Sitting here waiting to go on (future post)
-- Wagner Tuning heat exchanger
-- Wagner Tuning Intercooler
-- CSF DCT Cooler

In the future I'll be working on:
- front and rear tow straps
- getting some track times and video
- better aero (side skirts, CS Front Lip)
- Carbon fenders/hood
- BMW Motorsport M235i Wing??

I'll get better pictures soon, but right now it's cold out...

Also - want to thank those folks who helped get this build started.
- Ryan@IND]
- @[jritt@essex

- Adam @ Nitron UK
- @[mike@x-ph.com]

I have no official business affiliation with these people, they are simply great industry representatives that helped get me the right parts, in the right time, at the right price for their service level.

Attachment 2238334

Attachment 2238335

Attachment 2238336

Attachment 2238337

Attachment 2238338

Attachment 2238339

Attachment 2238340

Attachment 2238341
Very nice build. Good to see someone running Nitron suspension in the USA! It would be good to see an 18" BBS wheel on this car. Some of the Schirmer cars running e88's look so good!
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-26-2020, 07:56 AM   #62
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeastieBombRacing View Post
you had my curiosity, and now you have my attention
Agreed. I'd definitely be curious about the e88.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-26-2020, 08:09 AM   #63
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Agreed. I'd definitely be curious about the e88.
I talked to him, he's got a lot of great options. Lucky for you, you've already got the BBK which the 18" wheels will hopefully clear.

Have you been on track with the GTS coding updates?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:05 AM   #64
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I talked to him, he's got a lot of great options. Lucky for you, you've already got the BBK which the 18" wheels will hopefully clear.

Have you been on track with the GTS coding updates?
Nope. Haven't had it on track yet at all. First events will be in the spring.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50
      02-26-2020, 09:18 AM   #65
243Racing
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Nope. Haven't had it on track yet at all. First events will be in the spring.
The Tyspeed M2 has the same GTS diff and MDM coding. I'm betting it's a noticeable improvement. I contacted Alex this morning to get mine going as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 09:22 AM   #66
QuickOne
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
The Tyspeed M2 has the same GTS diff and MDM coding. I'm betting it's a noticeable improvement. I contacted Alex this morning to get mine going as well.
I took it out in the cold the other day on the Cup2s, just to see what it was like. Well, the cup2s were the equivalent of driving on black ice (expected). I did notice the new diff coding allowed for a much larger slip angle before it attempted to catch it.

Was a fun drive, but a complete waste of time and didn't provide any real data.

I need to get my data logging setup in this car as well. Should make it much easier to compare lap times that way.
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00