BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Scott can you confirm any of this??

10-28-2014, 05:56 PM   #67
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Nice try.
      10-29-2014, 12:57 PM   #68
vladberca
Major General
Romania
Rep
Drives: '18 octavia 2.0 tdi dsg

These new engines drive me nuts. Can't wait to see them released, as I don't really understand if the difference between the M240i and M2 will be impressive enough!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 02:03 PM   #69
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
A true M model should have an "S" designated motor rather than "N", as it's been suggested the M2 will have. But BMW has been surprising before.
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 03:04 PM   #70
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Anybody get the impression that BMW is just being coy? You know, saying N55 with 375 HP so Audi and others will target that with the RS3 and other competition. Then when the M2 comes out (after the RS3), it will come with an S55 or other engine and much better numbers than they leaked (like 400HP)?

Subaru did that a few years ago with the STI. Speculation and leaks had it around 270-280. The EVO hit right around those numbers. THEN, the STI comes out at 300 HP, blowing away everybody's expectations and being (on paper, anyway) a good deal more powerful than its main competition.

Just a thought. Regardless, I can almost guarantee that this car will not be a disappontment. Even if it is a 375HP N55, BMW will do it right. Now, if they do it like they can, it could become the new performance halo.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 04:04 PM   #71
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

I am still puzzled why BMW would choose old N55 for full blown M car, when B58 is coming out around the same (more power and efficiency than N55) time and S55 is already available..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:26 PM   #72
Snap0rz
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 335i

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bm...-straight-six/

"Expected to debut in Detroit next January, the M2 will inaugurate a brand-new 3.0-liter straight-six engine that is internally called S57. Turbocharged and direct-injected, the engine will be tuned to produce at least 375 horsepower, though some inside sources have revealed that it could produce considerably more."

"“Four hundred horsepower is the magic number. With forced induction it is not trouble to achieve this, but we have to make sure it doesn’t get too close to the power level of the new M4,” explained Friedrich Nitschke, the outgoing president of BMW’s M division, in an interview with British magazine Autocar."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 05:51 PM   #73
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RingMeister01 View Post
A true M model should have an "S" designated motor rather than "N", as it's been suggested the M2 will have. But BMW has been surprising before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amdmaxx View Post
I am still puzzled why BMW would choose old N55 for full blown M car, when B58 is coming out around the same (more power and efficiency than N55) time and S55 is already available..
Sure, but they put a bi-turbo N54 in the 1M, even as the 135i was being "upgraded" to the N55. Very few claim that the 1M is not a true M car. So the precedent is clearly there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap0rz View Post
http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/bm...-straight-six/

"Expected to debut in Detroit next January, the M2 will inaugurate a brand-new 3.0-liter straight-six engine that is internally called S57.
Debunked several times here as sloppy journalistic hearsay. The N57 is a diesel engine.

For instance, see this post http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=80

So creating an S57 would mean the first "true" diesel M car. Headline news, for sure. (Although BMW does use the N57 tri-turbo engine in the M Performance line of M550d, X5 M50d and X6 M50d, so it is not that much of a reach if they wanted to...)

Last edited by SmallTownBoy; 10-29-2014 at 05:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 06:45 PM   #74
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Sure, but they put a bi-turbo N54 in the 1M, even as the 135i was being "upgraded" to the N55. Very few claim that the 1M is not a true M car. So the precedent is clearly there.

Debunked several times here as sloppy journalistic hearsay. The N57 is a diesel engine.

For instance, see this post http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showp...8&postcount=80

So creating an S57 would mean the first "true" diesel M car. Headline news, for sure. (Although BMW does use the N57 tri-turbo engine in the M Performance line of M550d, X5 M50d and X6 M50d, so it is not that much of a reach if they wanted to...)
What you're leaving off of the table is there's no rule on how BMW 'has to' name their motors, per say. BMW could call this motor whatever the hell they'd like and who would we be to question it?

The thing is the 1M, as you clearly noted, caught some flack for not having a bespoke motor, largely due to the time and budget constraints for which the 1M was limited by.

The M2, at the very least, has the benefit of the success of the 1M and time in addition. As much of a 'rush' there is to get this car to market, it'll sell like crazy whenever it's released. BMW has all the tools and means to make this car great, it's just a question if they will or will not that's up for debate.

Ideally, I'd like to see an M2 that is purpose built and not held back simply to protect the M3/M4. The M2 shouldn't be about fitting in, so much as being about a focus on the driver. There's no need for refinement, trinkets, rear sunshades, heated seats and other things that you can only count on to break.

Imagine an M2 down 1-200lbs on an M4 with 400hp, proper suspension and brakes - what more could you ask for? If I really want speed, luxury, pedigree and prestige - I'm looking at Porsche, not BMW.

The bottom line is that the M2 should be raw and unapologetic, not a ramp to higher priced M cars.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 07:22 PM   #75
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
What you're leaving off of the table is there's no rule on how BMW 'has to' name their motors, per say. BMW could call this motor whatever the hell they'd like and who would we be to question it?
Quite true, but they have established engine naming conventions/codes from which they would depart at their peril.

Note, for instance, the major flak they've taken on relatively minor issues like the 2-series HK audio debacle and the omission of the trunk/boot lid from the 2-Series comfort access option (which I've seen labeled "comfort go" in some BMW guides). Also, I'm a proud owner of an M235i, so there's that eh?

I like the "misdirection" theory on the leaks. But it seems plausible that the top tuned N55 would be the first M2 engine, as there may not be enough time for M to sort out its version of the new N58 before M2 launch.

Last edited by SmallTownBoy; 10-29-2014 at 07:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 06:58 AM   #76
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by technik330 View Post
Ideally, I'd like to see an M2 that is purpose built and not held back simply to protect the M3/M4. The M2 shouldn't be about fitting in, so much as being about a focus on the driver. There's no need for refinement, trinkets, rear sunshades, heated seats and other things that you can only count on to break.

Imagine an M2 down 1-200lbs on an M4 with 400hp, proper suspension and brakes - what more could you ask for? If I really want speed, luxury, pedigree and prestige - I'm looking at Porsche, not BMW.

The bottom line is that the M2 should be raw and unapologetic, not a ramp to higher priced M cars.
Bingo.
Let the M3/4 be the "prestige" model and the M2 be the "performance" model (even though they both are high-performance). That way, even with similar numbers, there is plenty of room to differentiate the product lines.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 10:07 AM   #77
Baltic_M2
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d Coupé

Howdy! =)

I took the F20 LCI LED headlight pictures.
They are the same as on the "2er" active tourer.

They look like xenon headlights.
Totally different from the 4er, 5er and 6er LED design.

I really hope the M2 will get proper LED headlights. :/
      10-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #78
Adem1534
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///twinTurbo View Post
Howdy! =)

I took the F20 LCI LED headlight pictures.
They are the same as on the "2er" active tourer.

They look like xenon headlights.
Totally different from the 4er, 5er and 6er LED design.

I really hope the M2 will get proper LED headlights. :/
I think most people are hoping that if proper LED headlights are offered on the M2, that they will also be "L" shaped, similar to the 4 series concept.

Unlikely, but honestly BMW can really step in front of Audi in terms of Headlight design if they offer the L shaped carona rings.

There's also the possibility that the L shape design will only be used with the Laser Headlight option, if that's even offered.

But the L headlights on the 4 series concept were indeed LED. And the render shows them as LED, not that it matters. But really. The L shaped rings go really well with the 2 series headlight design.

Fingers crossed.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #79
technik330
Captain
Rep
Drives: STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Quite true, but they have established engine naming conventions/codes from which they would depart at their peril.

Note, for instance, the major flak they've taken on relatively minor issues like the 2-series HK audio debacle and the omission of the trunk/boot lid from the 2-Series comfort access option (which I've seen labeled "comfort go" in some BMW guides). Also, I'm a proud owner of an M235i, so there's that eh?

I like the "misdirection" theory on the leaks. But it seems plausible that the top tuned N55 would be the first M2 engine, as there may not be enough time for M to sort out its version of the new N58 before M2 launch.
I don't think departing from said motor designations would lead to any real peril, but I could be wrong.

What I see here is an opportunity to capitalize on the lessons learned from the 1M. Why offer an uprated N55, when we know the N54 was a truly better motor, in the second generation of the model?

That wouldn't strike me as forward thinking.

They've had ample time, since 2011, to begin development of a proper motor for the 1M successor.

Either way, I'm most likely as eager as you are to see what motor we'll end up with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavpilot2k View Post
Bingo.
Let the M3/4 be the "prestige" model and the M2 be the "performance" model.
Exactly.

///M can make this car as raw as they'd like and they know it.
'18 Subaru STi Type RA #350
'19 Honda Civic Type R #31191
Appreciate 0