BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > DIY A-pillar noise fix without removing the windshield

03-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #67
bartginger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
i think the lemon law applies to the car as long as its still under the manufactures warranty.good luck carl
https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/ne...law-fact-sheet
Lemon law probably still applies, but in California (and I'd imagine in most States) the defect has to "substantially impair the use, value or safety" of the vehicle. I seriously doubt a rattle will rise to that level.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #68
saikitjK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2 completion

Don't have experience removing a piler on a BMW. Do I have to disconnect the battery?

And what is the best way to release the clip inside the pillar cover?

Thanks a ton!!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 12:48 AM   #69
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
So. I had this noise very early on. My crazy carport means the car flexes sometimes. Well. Other cars flex. This one is so damn solid it hardly moves.

However. This fixed the problem completely. Never heard it again.

So try driving up a something that puts most of the weight on 3 wheels. I bet the creaking goes away.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2020, 02:42 AM   #70
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Somewhat related but I've been using foam weathering striping below to muffle tons of various creaks and rattles, since my Acura days.

Whenever you're reassembling any trim pieces or components, of which there is friction or play with another piece, I wedge foam weatherstripping between any crevice and eliminate any play or squeaks, ect.

You'd be surprise how much of difference a piece of foam can make in rendering your interior pieces, rattle free, especially the gap where the windshield meets the dashboard or the A, B or C pillars to trim to body.

I've found that you just need to be creative and liberal with the insulation and you can eliminate most, if not all, unwanted body and trim nosies.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DARKMTTR229.00
      03-22-2020, 09:58 AM   #71
nelsdvn
Gangnam Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2, '15 X5d

My dealer perfumed the TSB on my 2017 M2 about three weeks ago. Prior to, the noise was constant on nearly any surface and very difficult to ignore. Let them carry out the TSB in peace and now I drive my car in peace. Whatever they had to do worked perfectly. We had a few substantial rains since and there are no leaks from the windshield removal/replacement. I fortunately am still under warranty.
      07-14-2020, 07:40 AM   #72
Dawidkloczko
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl44 View Post
After seeing there was a factory service bulletin for the snapping noise I went to the dealer to see what exactly it was. The fix was to remove the windshield and separate three layers of sheet-metal. Apparently the twisting of the car was causing them to make a snapping noise . What i did was to remove the a-piller cover and with a tool i made out of a screwdriver pryed the layers apart. Its amazing that that is where the noise was coming from. I would have bet it was coming form the top of the windshield. After i road-tested i went back to my dealer and showed the tech how it could be repaired without removing the windshield. They were very appreciative because when you remove the windshield you can end up with other leaks and noises. So glad its gone was driving me nuts!! carl
Hi Carl.

I have the same problem with the a-pillar. I have followed your instructions but nothing has changed. How should I lift these metal parts? I even have a bent screwdriver just like you. All the time I hear a click from this place as the car passes through the bumps. Can you help? This thing drives me crazy.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 05:33 PM   #73
mspGit
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Just had my dealer perform the TSB on my 2020 M2 Comp as well and gone is the clicking noise!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 06:05 PM   #74
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
So. I had this noise very early on. My crazy carport means the car flexes sometimes. Well. Other cars flex. This one is so damn solid it hardly moves.

However. This fixed the problem completely. Never heard it again.

So try driving up a something that puts most of the weight on 3 wheels. I bet the creaking goes away.
I think you're right. Twisting the frame and some really hot days cured the problem for my cars. My M235i had it, them my M2C had it, they both "healed" over time.
Appreciate 1
Davil6333.50
      02-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #75
carl44
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C

mine has been quite since i did the fix.didn't want the dealer to remove the windshield. Takes less than an hour. carl
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 12:30 PM   #76
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

I'm still experiencing creaking around the dash and windshield. Not sure what to try next.
      05-15-2021, 02:21 PM   #77
jamesyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Has anyone tried this recently/does anyone have the info on removing the trim from the a pillar? Just got an M2 Comp and it appeared after about 500 miles (it's at about 7000 so far).

All of the old links are broken as the website has gone, so I paid for the BMW TIS... and I can't even find the right manual, doesn't appear to exist (on how to remove a pillar).

Joy.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2021, 03:35 PM   #78
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyd View Post
Has anyone tried this recently/does anyone have the info on removing the trim from the a pillar? Just got an M2 Comp and it appeared after about 500 miles (it's at about 7000 so far).

All of the old links are broken as the website has gone, so I paid for the BMW TIS... and I can't even find the right manual, doesn't appear to exist (on how to remove a pillar).

Joy.
You pull the top towards the other side of the car and when u unclip i think 3 points u pull up.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #79
jamesyd
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwv View Post
You pull the top towards the other side of the car and when u unclip i think 3 points u pull up.
Thank you! That worked, didn't manage to fix the noise and gave up putting the pillar back on. Given up for now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 03:41 PM   #80
nearwater4me
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 G82 Base

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesyd View Post
Thank you! That worked, didn't manage to fix the noise and gave up putting the pillar back on. Given up for now.
Try living with it for another few months and see if it goes away.
Mine did, like many others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I think you're right. Twisting the frame and some really hot days cured the problem for my cars. My M235i had it, them my M2C had it, they both "healed" over time.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 05:35 PM   #81
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

Hmm, it seems my F31 has the same snap noise as my M2C, mostly from heat radiation/strong sunlight. It almost sounds like something hitting the windshield.

Thank you for this.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 12:13 PM   #82
DanT87
M2C Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Hey there,

This is my first post here, sorry to drag up an old thread as such but….recently I've bought the M2C and I think I am getting this noise unfortunately although I have a week ago had the windscreen replaced with a genuine BMW part.

That said, my symptoms fit this description and I may give this a go but wanted to clarify on the M2C, the A pillar trim seems to be really held in tight, I haven't managed to get it off!

Without meaning to sound stupid, this trim does just pull off from the top as described in previous posts!?

In the back of my mind I'm worrying I'm going to damage it/set an air bag off!

All help appreciated
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:31 PM   #83
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I had the same clicking noise on the right pillar that has been described in this thread. My previous M235i also had the noise. Both of those cars eventually stopped doing it. I think hot summer days and some body flexing cured it. I'd be cautious before damaging your car. Others have tried the fix and it didn't work.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 03:49 PM   #84
DanT87
M2C Owner
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I had the same clicking noise on the right pillar that has been described in this thread. My previous M235i also had the noise. Both of those cars eventually stopped doing it. I think hot summer days and some body flexing cured it. I'd be cautious before damaging your car. Others have tried the fix and it didn't work.
Thanks for your reply, really hope your right as it's frustrating me a lot! Car has done less than 5k miles. Maybe like you say, it will resolve itself after a warm British summer…!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:34 PM   #85
Fin3sse
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 LCI

Hey all,

Just finally had the time to take a dive into resolving my rattle in my 18 LCI near the passenger side. While taking the A-pillar off one of the clips fell down into that rabbit hole. I took off the kick panel where another thread said I may find the clip. Unfortunately had no luck finding the clip. Anyone have any idea where the hell that clip could be? I dug around with my fingers and couldn’t seem to feel it out.

After putting some foam striping down hopefully that fixes the rattle. I ordered another clip for the A-pillar but now im worried that lost clip will rattle louder than original. Any light on my situation would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 02:10 AM   #86
Toroinu
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c, BMW 528i, Audi RS5

Has anyone else experienced the clicking pillar and fixed it with the diy? I tried prying the layers with no luck in fixing it. I’m also not sure how much prying you need to do. There seems to be a part that’s welded pretty tight and you can’t pry much from that. I’ve had this clicking issue for almost a year. Initially thought it was suspension related but after reading this post, it has to be this
Appreciate 0