BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion > Twitter is political per Trump?

Yesterday, 07:09 PM   #1
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

This is hilarious. He makes a comment using a platform provided by a private entity. The entity tags his post for fact checking and now they're political. What a buffoon. It's Twitter, not NPR.

Is Trump going to regulate Alex Jones? Zero Hedge? Fox News?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 2
      Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #2
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
This is hilarious. He makes a comment using a platform provided by a private entity. The entity tags his post for fact checking and now they're political. What a buffoon. It's Twitter, not NPR.

The question is are they a publisher or a platform

If the are a publisher then people should be able to sue them for slander and liable comments

If they are a platform they shouldn't edit or censor legal speech and have that legal safe guard.

They can't have it both ways and Trump is just getting the arms of government to enforce the laws already on the books.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:18 PM   #3
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

Twitter is a private platform. If they decide to point out that trump is making false statements, they have that right. There are consequences to lying.

Edit: Norman it's libel.
Appreciate 3
JMAC5150108.00
F32Fleet1897.50

Yesterday, 07:23 PM   #4
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanConquest View Post
Quote:

The question is are they a publisher or a platform

If the are a publisher then people should be able to sue them for slander and liable comments

If they are a platform they shouldn't edit or censor legal speech and have that legal safe guard.

They can't have it both ways and Trump is just getting the arms of government to enforce the laws already on the books.
A tag is not censoring. Removing his tweets would be censoring.

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #5
SumBMWGuy
Major
Rep
Drives: A German Car

When trump retweets videos of someone saying "the only good democrat, is a dead democrat", is that a good usage of presidential power?
Appreciate 2
F32Fleet1897.50

Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #6
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumBMWGuy View Post
Twitter is a private platform. If they decide to point out that trump is making false statements, they have that right. There are consequences to lying.

They aren't private they are a public company and they oversee a public space just like a public company administer central park on NYC. Trump did not lile he gave his opinion and it not the responsibility of a public space to give two other opinions. Furthermore I've prove in other topic that Trump statements was accurate and gave several cases of mail in ballot fraud.

Quote:
A tag is not censoring. Removing his tweets would be censoring
This isn't a trump thing this is abuse that been going on for several years such as banning/suspending people for learn to code and someone saying okay dude.
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr2504.00

Yesterday, 09:18 PM   #7
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 AW F80

they didnt even fact check him
they simply linked to another guys opinion, which was the counter argument
they argued Trump's Opinion with another guy's opinion

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...laims/2414171/

signatures don't match the PREVIOUS voter's Signatures
go figure
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They aren't private they are a public company and they oversee a public space just like a public company administer central park on NYC. Trump did not lile he gave his opinion and it not the responsibility of a public space to give two other opinions. Furthermore I've prove in other topic that Trump statements was accurate and gave several cases of mail in ballot fraud.

Quote:
A tag is not censoring. Removing his tweets would be censoring
This isn't a trump thing this is abuse that been going on for several years such as banning/suspending people for learn to code and someone saying okay dude.
LOL. No. They're private as in their assets are owned by the the private sector. sheesh.

BTW your lastl comment makes no sense.

Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:35 PM   #9
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikkagtr View Post
they didnt even fact check him
they simply linked to another guys opinion, which was the counter argument
they argued Trump's Opinion with another guy's opinion

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...laims/2414171/

signatures don't match the PREVIOUS voter's Signatures
go figure
Yep. Trump the cry baby. I wonder who changes his diapers?

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:37 PM   #10
WhiskyPat12
you don't concern me
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
https://www.npr.org/2019/07/09/73992...ls-court-rules
Attached Images

Quote:
You are a bad person.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

It's just one opinion on a barely relevant topic. Trump is currently arguing censoring. Twitter isn't censoring his tweets. Politicians have been crying for years that these platforms need to police the content they allow to be posted.

Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 09:46 PM   #12
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Quote:
when one has no valid arguments one resorts to ad hominems
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 09:47 PM   #13
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
when one has no valid arguments one resorts to ad hominems
He is a cry baby. I've never seen such a whiner in my life. He's a pathological liar.

Twitter isn't censoring. .

Appreciate 2
JMAC5150108.00

Yesterday, 09:52 PM   #14
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Quote:
He is a cry baby. I've never seen such a whiner in my life. He's a pathological liar.

Politicians lie? no way!
guess Obama never told a fib in his life

Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:00 PM   #15
F32Fleet
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Politicians lie? no way!
guess Obama never told a fib in his life

There's political speech and then there's outright lying all the time. I don't know if Obama ever specifically lied about something when making a public statement. He may have. It's not relevant because he's not POTUS.

Trump is pathological. With Trump it's a mental illness. It's compulsive.

Big difference, but you already know that.

Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 10:15 PM   #16
pikkagtr
Go Spurs Go
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's political speech and then there's outright lying all the time. I don't know if Obama ever specifically lied about something when making a public statement. He may have. It's not relevant because he's not POTUS.

Trump is pathological. With Trump it's a mental illness. It's compulsive.

Big difference, but you already know that.
you need to get out more if you don't know or think Obama lies while in office
https://www.amazon.com/examples-lawb.../dp/B01E4U36NE

here is a starter
it's $10
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 10:20 PM   #17
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
LOL. No. They're private as in their assets are owned by the the private sector. sheesh.

BTW your lastl comment makes no sense.
Private mean sololy own by an individual or a family. The founder had extremely harsh restriction on publicly own companies until the late 1800 because they are as evil and destructive as government can be. Calling a public company private is a joke as no one individual owns it and therefor lack a conscience all it cares about is appeasing the mob of investors by gaining money at any cost.

Ps. Government pensions and 401k are heavily invested in publicly traded companies and once your dependant on public funds that in traditional sense will make you a public entity.
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr2504.00

Yesterday, 10:48 PM   #18
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
They aren't private they are a public company and they oversee a public space just like a public company administer central park on NYC.
Um, nope.

(1.) Twitter is a private company, privately-owned by the shareholders; share purchase, however, is available to the general public, thus the "public" part. (versus a privately-held company which does not offer shares to the general public, e.g, Cargill) Twitter cannot own government property, nor can the government manage Twitter's property. In fact corporations are legally considered Constitutionally Protected citizens! You're gonna love this part the MOST! READY???
SCOTUS has ruled many times that the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause grants constitutional protections to corporations as well as to citizens! That doesn't mean the 14th relieves corps from all regulation, but the 14th doesn't relieve citizens from regulation either ... so basically, corporations legally = private people!

(2.) By law, Twitter does not own government spaces
, i.e., "publicly-owned" spaces - it can't no more than you or I could. Further, Twitter's property, both physical and intellectual, is private to Twitter. (which might even include content you put there, but I haven't read the user agreements lately) Members of the public, even if they're shareholders, are not allowed on Twitter's property unless the management of Twitter agrees, and then only by Twitter management's rules.

Feel free to go knock on the door of your local Twitter office, though, and see if it's as easy to access as a park.

Or, even better, take the laptop of Twitter employee and tell them that it's a publicly owned asset so you have as much of a right to it as they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.

Last edited by GrussGott; Yesterday at 11:00 PM..
Appreciate 4
JMAC5150108.00
gotchy0.00
F32Fleet1897.50

Yesterday, 10:53 PM   #19
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
OH! Speaking of the Constitution and weaponizing the Justice Department :

Quote:
I thought the next M4 was going to be a flying car powered by bloomin' onions and a teaspoon of mayonnaise. At least that's what I read on the internet @ BimmerPoop.org.
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #20
NormanConquest
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Um, nope.

(1.) Twitter is a "public" company, BUT privately-owned by the shareholders; share purchase, however, is available to the general public, thus the "public" part. Twitter cannot own government property, nor can the government manage Twitter's property. In fact corporations are legally considered Constitutionally Protected citizens! You're gonna love this part the MOST! READY???
SCOTUS has ruled many times that the 14th Amendment's equal protection clause grants constitutional protections to corporations as well as to citizens! That doesn't mean the 14th relieves corps from all regulation, but the 14th doesn't relieve citizens from regulation either ... so basically, corporations are private people!

(2.) By law, Twitter does not own government spaces
, i.e., "publicly-owned" spaces - it can't no more than you or I could. Further, Twitter's property, both physical and intellectual, is private to Twitter. (which might even include content you put there, but I haven't read the user agreements lately) Members of the public, even if they're shareholders, are not allowed on Twitter's property unless the management of Twitter agrees, and then only by Twitter management's rules.

Feel free to go knock on the door of your local Twitter office, though, and see if it's as easy to access as a park.

Or, even better, take the laptop of Twitter employee and tell them that it's a publicly owned asset so you have as much of a right to it as they do.
It not private as any individual in the public can participate which is why they are a PUBLIC company i don't understand why people have such a hard time grasping this since it in the goddamn name.

If you want a good listen during a long drive here

He has sources for every single statement and does a great job explaining the evolution of public and private from ancient greece to now.

As for rhe SCOTUS ruling I consider that a case where all the judges should have step down as they have a conflict of interest due to their pensions being directly tied to publicly trade companies

Also your statement about entering and taking stuff falls flat since you can't freely enter many government building or facilities nor can you freely take government property. Go ahead take a police car and see what happens. So now you see we have absolutely no difference between an entity everyone recognizes as public the government and an entity due to pure brainwashing people fail to grasp is ankther public entity a corperation
Appreciate 1
pikkagtr2504.00

Yesterday, 11:18 PM   #21
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It not private as any individual in the public can participate
Here are the parts you seem to be missing:

(1.) Yes, by "can participate" you actually mean "become a part-owner via purchase of stock in the public market"

(2.) The company, however, is still private in that it's legally considered a private citizen just like you or me, thus all of Twitter's property is private, both physical and intellectual, just like our property is.

So everything about Twitter: the buildings, the servers, AND ALL OF THE CONTENT is OWNED AND CONTROLLED PRIVATELY by Twitter, just like you own and control your house.

In fact, you could create a public company, name yourself an officer and majority owner, have the company buy your house, and none of that would change who controls your house: you. If anyone stepped on your property without your permission it's trespassing, even though the public "could participate" in buying a share in your company, as the officer you make the rules because private.

So, like I said, I haven't read the latest user agreements, but it's likely that Twitter owns all of the tweets on it, and Twitter certainly PRIVATELY owns and controls all of the virtual space, and the rules of use of that space.

Quote:

Last edited by GrussGott; Yesterday at 11:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:30 PM   #22
GrussGott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 E93 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskyPat12 View Post
Yup, which means ...

(1.) Assuming Twitter, a private company with private property incl intellectual, decides to allow government officials to use it to tweet shit (and they don't have to because private) ...

(2.) And assuming the government official also decides to use Twitter as a communications channel "to conduct government business" - then THE GOVERNMENT OFFICIAL must not block any member of the public
SHAHANI: Yeah. So the judges were careful to spell out the limits of this ruling. They said it's about public officials working in their official capacity. The judges are not deciding whether the social media companies are bound by the First Amendment. They were clear about that constraint.
And the reason those judges were "clear about that constraint" is because corporations = people, i.e., private citizens.

Quote:
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet1897.50