BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Walked in for MG and came out with LBB

04-23-2016, 05:53 AM   #23
MarkSpecc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2?

I was also originally set on MG, but after seeing all four colours the same day I changed my order LBB. All the other colours were OK but LBB IMO is the only way to go!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:32 PM   #24
Driver37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boxster /E46 325 RIP / e30 325

I need to apologize for definitely taking over OPs thread.

However after looking at BMWs internal product knowledge website I have come across two very different things.

Driving Dynamics Control allows the driver to set the ride, handling and drivetrain behavior of the car through a single rocker switch located on the center console adjacent to the transmission shift lever (logically on the driver’s side).

This feature allows the driver to toggle between three settings that tailor vehicle characteristics to his/her desires based on issues ranging from one’s particular mood to outside driving conditions. Each setting affects the following vehicle parameters:

•Shock absorber firmness
•Engine throttle response
•Transmission shift characteristics
•Power steering assist level
•Dynamic Traction Control mode (Sport+ only)

The three selectable settings are:

NORMAL: For those who appreciate comfort in every situation.

SPORT: For those who desire a sporty, brisk ride.

SPORT+: For highly sporty and active driving.

Benefits: Allows drivers the flexibility to tailor the vehicle’s suspension, throttle, steering and transmission response to their uniquely personal tastes.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:41 PM   #25
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver37 View Post
GUYS & GALS!!!

Please please please... Can we not be SO definite on passing on information.

Regardless of the vehicle. If the vehicle has adaptive suspension or not Sport and Sport + will adjust the vehicles suspension.

Please see the attached from BMW.

In the SPORT and SPORT+ modes, all drive and suspension settings are adjusted for more dynamic driving. The engine is more spontaneously responsive, the gears of the automatic transmission are shifted at higher speeds, the shifting points for the manual transmission are shown later, and on the whole the vehicle reacts much more directly and dynamically.

I just want to make sure that all the proper info is floating around.

[/rant]
haha, that exactly what your doing, floating around the wrong info.

m235 has adaptive suspension stock in usa market.
Other 2 series have it as an option.

m2 is passive, nor is adaptive an option in the US market, or any market as far as I know.

Learn your product line before you decide to rant/preach
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:47 PM   #26
Driver37
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Boxster /E46 325 RIP / e30 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana

haha, that exactly what your doing, floating around the wrong info.

m235 has adaptive suspension stock in usa market.
Other 2 series have it as an option.

m2 is passive, nor is adaptive an option in the US market, or any market as far as I know.

Learn your product line before you decide to rant/preach
See above post.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 03:49 PM   #27
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Pparana you are correct here.... On M3/M4, the passive suspension has a feel somewhat similar to between sport and sport +. I would imagine it would be similar on the M2, but then again this is a different vehicle that may be tuned slightly different.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:20 PM   #28
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWM235i View Post
Pparana you are correct here.... On M3/M4, the passive suspension has a feel somewhat similar to between sport and sport +. I would imagine it would be similar on the M2, but then again this is a different vehicle that may be tuned slightly different.
Adaptive was on my car (m235i, no choice comes stock) it ranged from jello on comfort to pillowtop mattress on sport plus. Those parts found there way into a box on a shelf real quick. No one is missing anything here.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
AWM235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Yea the suspension was on soft end of scale on my m235i I had. Just 2 different settings soft on comfort and less soft on sport and sport + lol. I did enjoy the m235i overall though for street driving as I don't track my cars. I am very curious to see how the M2 feels compared to my M4.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:16 PM   #30
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
See above post.
This has been discussed and, unfortunately, you are incorrect. It is clear that the M2 does not have adjustable suspension and there is no impact on ride stiffness regardless of what you've quoted. You are confusing the normal 2 series and also BMW's less than clear documents.

P.S. I wish you were correct
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 1
      04-24-2016, 03:53 PM   #31
BurpZilla
Avid Car Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alpine White M2 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shindo View Post
No courage from me. In the certain lighing LLB looks amazing (indoors), other times it looks dreadful. I myself couldn't commit to a car I only liked when it was parked indoors. AW it is for me.
BUMP! White/black combo is always classy.
Alpine White BMW M2 6spd; 2015 Arctic White Yukon XL Denali
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #32
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
GUYS & GALS!!!
Please please please... Can we not be SO definite on passing on information.
Regardless of the vehicle. If the vehicle has adaptive suspension or not Sport and Sport + will adjust the vehicles suspension.
Please see the attached from BMW.
In the SPORT and SPORT+ modes, all drive and suspension settings are adjusted for more dynamic driving. The engine is more spontaneously responsive, the gears of the automatic transmission are shifted at higher speeds, the shifting points for the manual transmission are shown later, and on the whole the vehicle reacts much more directly and dynamically.
I just want to make sure that all the proper info is floating around.
[/rant]
It was pointed out in an earlier thread that that info in official M2 materials is based on a copy/paste of M4 materials data.

However, it's inaccurate. No adaptive dampers in the M2.

Same goes for the stock 1M featuring a V8 engine ?

04-24-2016, 05:57 PM   #33
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Driver37: Frank Isenberg was the key engineer behind the 1M and was equally the M2 project leader. In the CAR interview (December 2015) he pointed out that the M2 does not feature an adaptive suspension:
"The suspension is matched to bespoke springs and dampers but there's no adaptive suspension. 'The problem with adaptive dampers is you're changing the damper, not the spring, so you end up with a spring that is a compromise between two settings,' explains Isenberg. [...]
You’ll be giving that engine orders through either a six-speed manual or, unlike the 1M, an optional dual-clutch gearbox; the latter likely to take 60% of sales. But like the 1M, the M2 largely shuns gadgetry.
Hence the DCT's DriveLogic controller has vanished, and the M4 steering wheel has blanks where the M Performance buttons for suspension, throttle and more should reside.
It's not a faff-free zone, though: a switch next to the gearstick controls Comfort, Sport and Sport+ throttle, gearbox and steering maps, and you can't separate the modes, for instance if you want lighter steering but a sharper throttle and gearshift."
      04-24-2016, 06:06 PM   #34
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:

However after looking at BMWs internal product knowledge website I have come across two very different things.

Driving Dynamics Control allows the driver to set the ride, handling and drivetrain behavior of the car through a single rocker switch located on the center console adjacent to the transmission shift lever (logically on the driver’s side).

This feature allows the driver to toggle between three settings that tailor vehicle characteristics to his/her desires based on issues ranging from one’s particular mood to outside driving conditions. Each setting affects the following vehicle parameters:

•Shock absorber firmness

Benefits: Allows drivers the flexibility to tailor the vehicle’s suspension, throttle, steering and transmission response to their uniquely personal tastes.
Ironic that you are complaining about misinformation yet you are 110% wrong about the suspension....

OP, great choice on LBB. It's a beautiful color and a worthy signature color for an M car
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:33 AM   #35
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy.
So if the car doesn't have 'adaptive suspension' and as we know the M2 doesn't, please explain how the suspension changes via the sport/sport + setting?

Is that paragraph you've posted specifically from M2 specification material?
It's for all cars.

Yes the M vehicles with adaptive suspension allow you to choose between comfort/sport/Sport + specifically for suspension.

But in non-M vehicles when you move the dynamic drive option from comfort to sport a few things change and the suspension is one of them.

You can feel the difference. I just Demo'd a client today in a 228 and let them feel the difference in between comfort and sport going over speed bumps and an aggressive hill climb course we have.

Also when changing the modes you can see the suspension illuminates as being altered as well.

Tomorrow I will post something more "official"

As that paragraph was from BMWUSA

******Agree with this********

I don't know what the chassis/driveline adjustment is or how it is done, but I can certainly feel it.

This suspension "adjustment" feature has been on BMW models for awhile now.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:36 AM   #36
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:

Driving Dynamics Control allows the driver to set the ride, handling and drivetrain behavior of the car through a single rocker switch located on the center console adjacent to the transmission shift lever (logically on the driverÂ’s side).

This feature allows the driver to toggle between three settings that tailor vehicle characteristics to his/her desires based on issues ranging from oneÂ’s particular mood to outside driving conditions. Each setting affects the following vehicle parameters:

•Shock absorber firmness

Benefits: Allows drivers the flexibility to tailor the vehicleÂ’s suspension, throttle, steering and transmission response to their uniquely personal tastes.
Ironic that you are complaining about misinformation yet you are 110% wrong about the suspension....

OP, great choice on LBB. It's a beautiful color and a worthy signature color for an M car
Slow your roll here.

He is not talking " Adaptive suspension " or in any way saying the car has an adjustable suspension like the M3/M4.

But there IS something in the cars that's being adjusted with this setting.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:40 AM   #37
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush
Quote:
It's for all cars.

Yes the M vehicles with adaptive suspension allow you to choose between comfort/sport/Sport + specifically for suspension.

But in non-M vehicles when you move the dynamic drive option from comfort to sport a few things change and the suspension is one of them.

You can feel the difference. I just Demo'd a client today in a 228 and let them feel the difference in between comfort and sport going over speed bumps and an aggressive hill climb course we have.

Also when changing the modes you can see the suspension illuminates as being altered as well.

Tomorrow I will post something more "official"

As that paragraph was from BMWUSA
How do mechanical components adjust via a button when they don't posses that ability and aren't wired to anything? My wife's 2011 535 is the same way. We didn't option the adaptive suspension/m sport suspension or whatever it was called so they were passive with no adjustments available. It has 3 settings...normal, sport and sport +. When in sport it gives us the option to configure chassis and when it is, it does nothing. I think what you felt was the steering tightening up so when you turned it felt the quicker steering you associated it with a tighter suspension.
Maybe your butt isn't as finely tuned as mine, but I can feel this adjustment on my 2013 X1.

The steering changes, yes, and something in the chassis also changes..

I also played with it and could feel it on a 228 that i drive at the ultimate driving experience last summer.

I'm not saying your 2011 5 series does it .. But you might go try again.. ?
Appreciate 0